Free Agency: WR

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fellas back to reality regarding free agency. NO way on Alshon. Doesn't make sense, and it's 100% against TT's MO. We don't need him.

As for Janis just showing it this one game. That's false. A lot of us saw the ability before this one game.
Had the big play against the Chargers when we needed it.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I saw him get open many times deep, Rodgers missed him, underthrowing him usually.
The fact of the matter is we have seen this big play ability from Janis right from the get-go. And he's gotten open deep more than Adams or Abbrederis or Jones have. It's just that Rodgers has missed him, whereas as you can see here, Tolzien & Flynn made good passed. Janis is fast. He creates opportunities like this. His quickness and speed is on par with Jordy, probably faster as he's 7 years younger.

You can't teach this speed.

You can't teach this height or jumping ability.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would bring Gordon in for a look if he were released. If he truly has an addiction problem and has gotten it under control then I think he at least is worthy of a job interview. Honey Badger had a weed addiction and got it taken care of and is a really good player now. I don't think he is similar to the greg hardy type at all.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are already paying two receivers more than $10 million a season so I don´t see them thinking about bringing in another one with Jeffrey.

Although I agree with you about Jeffrey not being the right FA to spend money on Captain -- it was just wishful thinking on my part-- I do not share the enthusiasm over our present group of receivers. There are too many "ifs" involved: if Jordy comes back just as good as he was before (reasonable), if Davante Adams shakes off his problems and improves to a legit #2 (questionable), if two of the three, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis and Abbredaris continue to develop and become solid starter material (also questionable).

That's too risky. Nor do I think that the return of Jordy is going to solve everything. There are other issues here. Packers needs another receiver who's a real threat -- either a premier TE or a deep threat WR. Without acquiring one or both of those, I have my doubts.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we really need to go after Joe Thomas.

According to several reports the Browns were asking for two first-rounders in return for Thomas before this year´s trade deadline. There´s no reason for the Packers to think about doing that.

Although I agree with you about Jeffrey not being the right FA to spend money on Captain -- it was just wishful thinking on my part-- I do not share the enthusiasm over our present group of receivers. There are too many "ifs" involved: if Jordy comes back just as good as he was before (reasonable), if Davante Adams shakes off his problems and improves to a legit #2 (questionable), if two of the three, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis and Abbredaris continue to develop and become solid starter material (also questionable).

That's too risky. Nor do I think that the return of Jordy is going to solve everything. There are other issues here. Packers needs another receiver who's a real threat -- either a premier TE or a deep threat WR. Without acquiring one or both of those, I have my doubts.

I think that as long as Jordy is able to return to an elite level the receiving corps will be fine. I agree the Packers desperately need an upgrade at tight end though.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fellas back to reality regarding free agency. NO way on Alshon. Doesn't make sense, and it's 100% against TT's MO. We don't need him.

As for Janis just showing it this one game. That's false. A lot of us saw the ability before this one game.

I saw him get open many times deep, Rodgers missed him, underthrowing him usually.
The fact of the matter is we have seen this big play ability from Janis right from the get-go. And he's gotten open deep more than Adams or Abbrederis or Jones have. It's just that Rodgers has missed him, whereas as you can see here, Tolzien & Flynn made good passed. Janis is fast. He creates opportunities like this. His quickness and speed is on par with Jordy, probably faster as he's 7 years younger.

You can't teach this speed.

You can't teach this height or jumping ability.

There is a big difference in seeing the ability in a player and that player coming through. If I wanted to spend the time I could probably find 5 plays that look pretty close to what you posted (maybe not the hail mary) for a hundred WRs who never got past that season or never got past the "remember that one catch he had in that one game" level. Like I said many times, its a good place to start but its far from enough to instill an abundance of confidence in our receivers.

Expat is correct in that there are a lot of" ifs" involved. Probably more than last year since going in we really had no "ifs" regarding Nelson and Cobb. We were set at #1 and #2 The big games by Abby and Janis against the Cardinals may have given us a bit more confidence in their abilities but they haven't completely erased the questions surrounding them. Adams took a step back so there is certainly a question there if he can come back to the promise he showed as a rookie and Montgomery, well, he was injured as well and will only be a second year man himself. Lots of questions, Lots of "ifs"

In fact, between Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Abby, Janis and Jones I'd say the one with the least amount of question to him is the one most likely to be gone and that's Jones. He's healthy (no injuries to come back from at least) He's a veteran (proven what he can do in more than 1 game or 1 season) He's steady (proven he can do it consistently) he's reliable (not spectacular but gives you solid production) His knocks are he is old (he is oldish but not old, only a year older than Nelson if I am not mistaken) and he is slow (it doesn't take speed to make great catches and move the chains) As a #1 or #2 sure he wouldn't be my first choice but I'd love to be able to go into the season with a player like James Jones as my #3 guy. If someone overtakes him great because a guy like that as your #4 or #5 man means you probably have the best group of WRs in the league.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly our WR corps has me thinking like AR stated, "R-E-L-A-X"

Nelson's 2nd year wasn't gang buster, JJ suffered from drops early on in his career and Cobb suffered last year due to no outside threat really.

Adams had an awesome rookie year, dragged down in his 2nd...no judgement from me until we see what year 3 brings. Janis shows promise and can fly, Monty is flashy quick for a slot guy, Cobb will excel with outside threats and then we have a dirty slot gamer in Abby. Excluding injury I'm good with no FA WR's coming in....TE is our biggest need skill position wise.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just shows that it's all relative/subjective. For one thing, take what you said about Nelson, JJ, and Cobb - don't you think there are also many examples of guys who didn't produce in there 2nd year, or who had the dropsies, or who needed someone else to take the heat who failed instead of shined. Just saying it looks like cherry-picking the examples.

Outside of that, the young guys have almost not experience. I dumped it, but if you total Monty, Abby, Janis, and Adams, you are evaluating people with maximum numbers of years, catches, and games as to make for a very suspect resume, good though it may be.

To allow myself to cherry-pick, how confident were were of Boykin?

Hey, if you want to relax, more power to you. I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat, thank you. :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just shows that it's all relative/subjective. For one thing, take what you said about Nelson, JJ, and Cobb - don't you think there are also many examples of guys who didn't produce in there 2nd year, or who had the dropsies, or who needed someone else to take the heat who failed instead of shined. Just saying it looks like cherry-picking the examples.

Outside of that, the young guys have almost not experience. I dumped it, but if you total Monty, Abby, Janis, and Adams, you are evaluating people with maximum numbers of years, catches, and games as to make for a very suspect resume, good though it may be.

Hey, if you want to relax, more power to you. I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat, thank you. :)

I completely understand, but we do have two bonafide provens in Nelson/Cobb. While I am not sold on the futures of all Adams/Janis/Abby/Monty I do see a lot of skill and upside in 1 or 2 atleast shining through in 2016...enough so that at WR I'm gonna relax and let the FA and draft fall to me in this position. I won't ignore a deal, but I'm not seeking one either. I put TE well above it in skill position need personally.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Janis is more explosive than Jordy and he seems to be a more explosive jumper. Not sure how they compare at full speed. Nelson has looser hips and does a better job getting into and out of cuts. Janis might never be a great route runner, but you don't necessarily need to run routes like Jerry Rice when you can run jump and go up strong for the football like that. I will be curious to see how he attacks this offseason and what he looks like in camp. If he starts to figure out the finer points Aaron will back him and will throw to him. Rodgers would love to have a pair of 6'3 receivers on the outside.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis is more explosive than Jordy and he seems to be a more explosive jumper. Not sure how they compare at full speed. Nelson has looser hips and does a better job getting into and out of cuts. Janis might never be a great route runner, but you don't necessarily need to run routes like Jerry Rice when you can run jump and go up strong for the football like that. I will be curious to see how he attacks this offseason and what he looks like in camp. If he starts to figure out the finer points Aaron will back him and will throw to him. Rodgers would love to have a pair of 6'3 receivers on the outside.

Best case Janis keeps excelling and becomes a true outside threat. I think chemistry between him and AR was the issue early on and they were forced to figure that out in the final game. That playoff game hopefully was a glimpse of what Janis can be and what he and AR can be. If he just keeps progressing it could be huge!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is why I think Coleman will be the best WR in the draft. This dude will be special.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with tynimiller that TE is the position on offense in most dire need of an upgrade. While there are for sure some question marks about the Packers receiving corps having a receiving threat at TE would help the receivers tremendously as well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really communicating tough day for me today. Never meant to say I wouldn't rather have a TE than WR, just that the "look who we have coming back at WR" mantra is a little suspect.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ERIC DECKER:
  • 6'3" HEIGHT
  • 31" ARM LENGTH
  • 217 LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 1/8"

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Decker possesses great size. Was extremely productive in college. Exhibits good quickness & agility which he uses to overcome lack of elite burst. Gets off the ball quickly and is a savvy route runner. Has excellent natural receiving skills. Goes and gets the football, displays great body control in the air and around the sidelines, and isn’t afraid to go over the middle.
WEAKNESSES
Lacks elite top end speed which could severely limit his big-play potential at the next level. Lacks a second gear to pull away from defenders after the catch or in and out of his breaks against a corner capable of mirroring him.

JEFF JANIS
  • 6'3" HEIGHT
  • 32 1/2" ARM LENGTH
  • 219 LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9" HANDS
    • 4.42 SEC
    • 20 REPS
      Top Performer
    • 37.5 INCH
    • 123.0 INCH
    • 6.64 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 3.98 SEC

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS

Exceptional measurables and leaping ability -- will test through the roof. Accelerates into routes quickly and can separate vertically and uncover underneath working short-to-intermediate zones. Terrific production -- carves up lesser competition and creates chunk plays. Good red-zone target. Exceptional work ethic. Outstanding football character. Very passionate about the game.
WEAKNESSES
Has very small, inconsistent hands -- will cradle the ball and use his body. Is not a nuanced route runner. Does not attack the ball in the air and will give up some break points. Not strong after the catch and will look for a soft landing spot. Can be fazed by traffic. Regularly faced Division II competition. Not a consistent blocker -- does not play to his size.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ERIC DECKER:
  • 6'3" HEIGHT
  • 31" ARM LENGTH
  • 217 LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 1/8"
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Decker possesses great size. Was extremely productive in college. Exhibits good quickness & agility which he uses to overcome lack of elite burst. Gets off the ball quickly and is a savvy route runner. Has excellent natural receiving skills. Goes and gets the football, displays great body control in the air and around the sidelines, and isn’t afraid to go over the middle.
WEAKNESSES
Lacks elite top end speed which could severely limit his big-play potential at the next level. Lacks a second gear to pull away from defenders after the catch or in and out of his breaks against a corner capable of mirroring him.

JEFF JANIS

• 6'3" HEIGHT
    • 32 1/2" ARM LENGTH
    • 219 LBS.WEIGHT
    • 9" HANDS
      • 4.42 SEC
      • 20 REPS
        Top Performer
      • 37.5 INCH
      • 123.0 INCH
      • 6.64 SEC
        Top Performer
      • 3.98 SEC
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Exceptional measurables and leaping ability -- will test through the roof. Accelerates into routes quickly and can separate vertically and uncover underneath working short-to-intermediate zones. Terrific production -- carves up lesser competition and creates chunk plays. Good red-zone target. Exceptional work ethic. Outstanding football character. Very passionate about the game.
WEAKNESSES
Has very small, inconsistent hands -- will cradle the ball and use his body. Is not a nuanced route runner. Does not attack the ball in the air and will give up some break points. Not strong after the catch and will look for a soft landing spot. Can be fazed by traffic. Regularly faced Division II competition. Not a consistent blocker -- does not play to his size.

Man, if they think 9" hands are very small, wait until they get a hold of Tajae Sharp. His hands are like 2" smaller and there's a lot of praise coming from Senior Bowl practice about him. I loved this guy as a late round/udfa, but those hands scare the crap out of me.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My ideal projection for targets next year:

You will notice no Davante Adams. I trade him to Kansas City for a 2017 3rd round pick.
You will also notice I've brought in veteran RB Matt Forte, for both his hands and route-running talents, as well as his desire to get a ring. I also have added tight end Ladarius Green.

With Montgomery and Jordy back, Cobb, Janis & Abbrederis won't have to do it all as they did vs Arizona, as wide receivers. But again, Forte and Green give us dimensions we haven't seen since Jermichael was running past LBs in 2009. I can't remember the last great pass-catching RB we had. Vince Workman my way back to you babe, perhaps.

Pipedreams? Yes.
That's what the off-season is all about.... nobody knows. Anything. Only Theodore does.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forte will want to be a starter somewhere. Unless we think he could beat Lacy out. I have doubts he'd want to go somewhere as a backup and utility/specialty type back.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with tynimiller that TE is the position on offense in most dire need of an upgrade. While there are for sure some question marks about the Packers receiving corps having a receiving threat at TE would help the receivers tremendously as well.

I agree that a TE who can stretch the field to take pressure off the WR's and open things up for them is the more important and desirable upgrade then adding another WR.
That said, I'd also like another tall , fast WR. For depth, competition in case the younger guys don't take the next step, to guard against injuries and just in case Jordy doesn't make it all the way back next season.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forte will want to be a starter somewhere. Unless we think he could beat Lacy out. I have doubts he'd want to go somewhere as a backup and utility/specialty type back.
Probably. BUT: Peppers came here to help Matthews and help get a ring. Lacy is on the last year of his contract, and he's fat. Forte & Lacy make a great combination and they complement each other.
It's obviously very very very very unlikely. But Matt is a great person and great teammate. I don't think he'd mind 150-200 carries a year only. And about 50 catches a year. Down from 102 two seasons ago.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just look at Gronk in NE. When he plays, those NE WR's get open. When he doesn't play, those NE WR's cannot get open consistently to save their lives.

We need a legit TE.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just look at Gronk in NE. When he plays, those NE WR's get open. When he doesn't play, those NE WR's cannot get open consistently to save their lives.

We need a legit TE.
That's why.... Ladarius Green is so important.
With a draftee, you never know what you're gonna get when they play against NFL defenses, even a first rounder.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cross em all off, close the thread. We have to cut, probably, one WR already that deserves a spot on the team.

2016 WR Depth Chart:
1- Jordy Nelson
2- Randall Cobb
3- Jeff Janis
4- Ty Montgomery
(remember Rodgers passing rating throwing to Ty was far better -over 100- than to Cobb or Adams this year before he got hurt)
5- Adams or Abbrederis

Janis just proved himself, but I worry like others here that MM or AR have something against him for some odd reason, maybe perceived work-ethic
Rodgers, contrarily, seems infatuated by both Davante and Abbrederis, for some reason. Funny that all 3 guys were drafted in 2014, but it's Janis who has shown the biggest upside by far.

I'd argue Adams has shown the biggest upside. He was much better late in his rookie season that Janis ever has been.

Latest posts