2023 season finale vs the Bears: Win and in edition part deux

Reaction score
And look at the NFC field right now. Who would you count us out against? I wouldn't call us "favorites" against some of them (and Vegas probably won't, either) but on a good day I think we've got a "ceiling" that at least could have us hang with Dallas and Philly (who appear to be circling the drain), Detroit and LA (who we've already beaten), and Tampa (if Joe Barry stays home sick). I've got a hard time seeing us beating SF, but even if we got to them and lost that'd be a better finish than 2022 and the same as 2021. That still has to be seen as a success in my book.
Very well said.
We talk about any given Sunday, trap games, off radar teams, teams getting healthy and up n coming teams and postseason being like a new beginning as advantages throughout history.
Now tables have turned.. it’s Our team that fits that Bill.

I said it early on this season. The second half of our season should be better than the first. I said if we can stay around .500 going into the second half of the season? we’d cause problems. Here we are and we’re definitely causing problems for other teams. Seattle, Vikings, Rams, Saints, Falcons, Bucs, were all teams directly affected by our knocking off teams down the stretch.

Now we’re potentially going into 2023 Season OT. I never really considered it. While I’m a Packer fan, my survey would say we are not the #24 ranked 33% chance to make playoffs everyone had us at in week1.
When you google “ascending teams”? You get the NFC North matchup. That’s not us saying it, it’s the league taking notice. the Bears D was 30th and Packers Offense was 15th in EPA/play weeks 1-8. Over weeks 9-17 the Bears Defense is #2 and Packers Offense is #4, which is like a rocker ship launch.
Surprisingly the Packers D was 25th in weeks 1-8 and actually gotten better at 20th weeks 9-17.

If we beat the Bears? We just beat a Wildcard level team in strength imo

Lastly, We have good depth. Deep at RB, deep at WR, about to be deep at TE. Also we are getting healthier verses getting banged up. I see at least 2-3 starters coming back into the fold this week. J’aire, Reed, Wicks and possibly Musgrave or Campbell. We’re getting healthier at the right time. Kraft might be as good as Musgrave! Having 2 good TE and versatile, plus 2 good RB’s is a luxury in the playoffs, where increased Pocket pressure and Weather become factors.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing the similarities between this season and last season.

Last season the Packers had won 5 out of their last 7 going into Week 18. Same as this season.

Last season the Packers destroyed the Vikings in Week 17. Same as this season.

Last season the Packers were 8-8 going into Week 18, needing to win the make the playoffs, and needing to beat a hot team that had won 4 out of their last 5 games. Same as this season.
Lets hope the investment fine print doesn't hold up. You know...past results do not indicate future performance. Or is it the other way around?

Kinda reminds me if the Lincoln/Kennedy coincidence that gets circulated every now and then.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leave it to Justin Fields to provide bulletin board material:

“Their fans are gonna be loud because there’s not much to do in Green Bay except watch football."
At least they don't have to play dodge the bullet.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, these are the people that think they know more about prospects than the GM and his entire cadre of scouts and all the information they possess. The most egregious case of fan arrogance and stupidity that I can imagine. And yet...... every year we see more sniping from the cheap seats.
Time again to go back and pick out some of the losers that the GM and scouts and their information picked?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has me nervous about this game is Matt Lafleur. He has a terrible record in big, pivotal games both in terms of preparation but especially his in-game decisions. Last year was a debacle against the Lions, previous year against the Niners and before that against the Buccaneers. His decision to move RT Turner to LT against the Niners was head scratching to say the least. Why he didn't bench Kevin King against the Buccaneers after he was repeatedly burned was again, inexcusable. Given his track record, it doesn't seem like he has learned from his mistakes. I hope he's turned over a new leaf but MLF should instill little or no confidence. Let's hope that the Bears make some big mistakes. Quay Walker will also be a difference maker in this game. If he has a big game like week 1, Packers should win. If he's out of position and chasing, Fields will move the chains with scrambling and the defense won't be able to get off the field.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has me nervous about this game is Matt Lafleur. He has a terrible record in big, pivotal games both in terms of preparation but especially his in-game decisions. Last year was a debacle against the Lions, previous year against the Niners and before that against the Buccaneers. His decision to move RT Turner to LT against the Niners was head scratching to say the least. Why he didn't bench Kevin King against the Buccaneers after he was repeatedly burned was again, inexcusable. Given his track record, it doesn't seem like he has learned from his mistakes.
In each of those games, Rodgers was terrible in the 4th quarter. The biggest mistakes that cost those games were Rodgers' mistakes, not MLF's.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has me nervous about this game is Matt Lafleur. He has a terrible record in big, pivotal games both in terms of preparation but especially his in-game decisions. Last year was a debacle against the Lions, previous year against the Niners and before that against the Buccaneers. His decision to move RT Turner to LT against the Niners was head scratching to say the least. Why he didn't bench Kevin King against the Buccaneers after he was repeatedly burned was again, inexcusable. Given his track record, it doesn't seem like he has learned from his mistakes. I hope he's turned over a new leaf but MLF should instill little or no confidence. Let's hope that the Bears make some big mistakes. Quay Walker will also be a difference maker in this game. If he has a big game like week 1, Packers should win. If he's out of position and chasing, Fields will move the chains with scrambling and the defense won't be able to get off the field.
A coach can only coach. He's not on the field of play. If players don't execute what was practiced that's not the fault of the coach.
Last year's lions game was lost by a poor decision by Rodgers in the 4th qtr to go deep with a sideline throw on a 3rd down when we were driving for the win and only needed a short pass to keep the chains moving. Even if a catch was made on that play the pass was out of bounds.
A bad decision and a bad throw.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Given the Bears' defense and rushing attack, they could totally win on Sunday. However, I'm looking at Fields' last four games during this supposed uptick in play and he has frankly sucked as a passer (statistically-- I didn't watch the games).

116/192, 60% completion, 1213 yards, 6.3 YPA, 5 TD, 3 INT, 15 sacks, 6 fumbles, 81 passer rating

Now he's added 393 yards rushing and 3 TD's on the ground (5.7 YPC) and that's the way they would beat GB on Sunday, but as a passer... yikes. I hope they keep him.

For comparison, here are Love's metrics over the same stretch:

142/207, 69% completion, 1512 yards, 7.3 YPA, 14 TD, 1 INT, 7 sacks, 2 fumbles, 110 passer rating

He also added 66 and 2 TD on the ground.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know people are talking up the Bears for some reason but let's be real here. They've played against some really bad offenses over the last month and for all his faults, Barry seems to know how to scheme against the Bears. I really don't think this will be close. I think this will be similar to last week except a little closer.

Packers 30
Bears 13

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know people are talking up the Bears for some reason but let's be real here. They've played against some really bad offenses over the last month and for all his faults, Barry seems to know how to scheme against the Bears. I really don't think this will be close. I think this will be similar to last week except a little closer.

Packers 30
Bears 13

The Bears' defense turned in legit performances Vs. DET and @ CLE in that last 4 week span. The Lions average 24 PPG on the road this season and the Bears held them to 13. The Browns average 22 PPG at home, and the Bears held them to 20 (more impressive than it looks, as the Browns have been scoring at a higher clip since Flacco took over).

However, to your point, their two most recent home games, against Arizona and Atlanta, are getting overrated.

The Falcons average 14 PPG on the road this season and the Bears held them to 17. The Cardinals average 16 PPG on the road this season and the Bears held them to 16.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's my ideal outcome:

The Bears' offense goes off for 35 points. Fields looks his best he has all season and the defense looks hapless. But Jordan Love and the offense keep pace and kick a last second field goal to win, 38-35.

GB gets to go to the playoffs, but the Bears still feel more pressure to keep Fields and the Packers feel more pressure to fire Barry.

Win, win, win.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be a pretty boring board if no one gave their opinions of draft picks, free agents, coaches, etc. ? Asking for a friend.
Lol, opinions and definitive statements are two entirely different manners of speech and writing. You entirely missed my meaning. Stating for a friend.... and myself.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Time again to go back and pick out some of the losers that the GM and scouts and their information picked?
As your name would indicate, I'm sure you will. While you're at it, go back and review the other 31 teams draft pick success rate and post the results.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How perfect is it that the Packers find themselves in a nearly identical position as last year? Win and you get in. Can Love do what Rodgers could not?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A coach can only coach. He's not on the field of play. If players don't execute what was practiced that's not the fault of the coach.
Last year's lions game was lost by a poor decision by Rodgers in the 4th qtr to go deep with a sideline throw on a 3rd down when we were driving for the win and only needed a short pass to keep the chains moving. Even if a catch was made on that play the pass was out of bounds.
A bad decision and a bad throw.
Please correct me if I am wrong. My memory is no where what it used to be. I thought the pass was caught. By the Lions.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
GREEN BAY – The Packers have listed receivers Christian Watson (hamstring), Jayden Reed (chest) and Dontayvion Wicks (chest) and five others questionable for Sunday's regular-season finale against the Chicago Bears.
The other five questionable include guard Elgton Jenkins (knee/ankle), linebacker Preston Smith (ankle), tight end Luke Musgrave (kidney), running back Emanuel Wilson (shoulder) and tackle Luke Tenuta (ankle).
Meanwhile, running back AJ Dillon (thumb/neck) and safety Rudy Ford (hamstring) have been ruled out. Linebacker Isaiah McDuffie (concussion/neck) is doubtful.
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-bears-injury-report-jan-5-2024

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my ideal outcome:

The Bears' offense goes off for 35 points. Fields looks his best he has all season and the defense looks hapless. But Jordan Love and the offense keep pace and kick a last second field goal to win, 38-35.

GB gets to go to the playoffs, but the Bears still feel more pressure to keep Fields and the Packers feel more pressure to fire Barry.

Win, win, win.

This is very sensible and my brain will find a way to agree if it's consulted -- but I know when the game starts I just want the field strewn with Bear carcasses and to win 76-0 (10 tds and 3 safeties obviously).

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given the Bears' defense and rushing attack, they could totally win on Sunday. However, I'm looking at Fields' last four games during this supposed uptick in play and he has frankly sucked as a passer (statistically-- I didn't watch the games).

116/192, 60% completion, 1213 yards, 6.3 YPA, 5 TD, 3 INT, 15 sacks, 6 fumbles, 81 passer rating

Now he's added 393 yards rushing and 3 TD's on the ground (5.7 YPC) and that's the way they would beat GB on Sunday, but as a passer... yikes. I hope they keep him.

For comparison, here are Love's metrics over the same stretch:

142/207, 69% completion, 1512 yards, 7.3 YPA, 14 TD, 1 INT, 7 sacks, 2 fumbles, 110 passer rating

He also added 66 and 2 TD on the ground.
I hope the Bears keep Fields too. Like you said he sucks as a passer and a running QB will only get you so far until the league catches up to him. Many said similar things about Lamar Jackson but the biggest difference between Fields and Jackson is that Jackson always did show an ability to throw when he had to or wanted to. Fields, aside from a few games with good passing stats, has not shown that ability. If they try to make him into a passing QB he won't make it and if he keeps doing what he does best, running the ball, IMO it won't be enough.

I've often wondered if Fields can catch. I could see, after a failed career as a starting QB, he might be turned into another Taysom Hill?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As your name would indicate, I'm sure you will. While you're at it, go back and review the other 31 teams draft pick success rate and post the results.
I was specifically referring to
Yup, these are the people that think they know more about prospects than the GM and his entire cadre of scouts and all the information they possess.
So, reviewing the successes/failures of the Pack and the other 31 wouldn't change my contention that having all the assets you mention doesn't necessarily mean they can pick better that a lot of the folks in the forums. Side issue, of course, but 'draft pick success' is so subjective that posting it wouldn't do much except set the participants up for round after round of nit-picking.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In each of those games, Rodgers was terrible in the 4th quarter. The biggest mistakes that cost those games were Rodgers' mistakes, not MLF's.
Moving Turner to LT was a debacle as well as keeping Mo Drayton as the ST coach against the Niners. Rodgers could've played better but it's hard enough to win without your coach adding to the burden in a big way.

Reaction score
One area of weakness is the Chicago Offense. While their Defense leads the league in INT (22) #1
Conversely, the Offense is a Turnover machine. When looking at Splits the very first category is Home/Away.

This is Fields AWAY performances in 2023 across 6 contests.
2 Wins 4 Losses
57.78 comp%
6.36 per attempt
1144 yards
8 TD 5 INT
Passer 80%
20 Sacks
63 Runs X 4.76 per 1TD
10 Fumbles/4 Lost

I would expect around that area, maybe a tinge better. Those numbers won’t be sufficient to overcome the GB Offense. The Bears will need a substantial Road anomoly performance at Lambeau. Not saying it can’t happen as always, its whoever brings it. However the tide will always be factor pulling at Fields n Co bringing them down to planet Earth. I get tired of hearing Fields is “about to break out at any second!” They’ve been saying that since long before the season started.

Cmon we’re about to enter Year 4. God willing, we can help Fields finish up Season #3 quickly, so he can get prepared for enormous expectations that got Montgomery (4.1 per) run out of town

Last edited: