Free Agency: WR

D

Deleted member 6794

I get that, but if all he has to offer, is being a really good gunner on ST's, who's roster spot and depth do you sacrifice to keep him? I am truly hoping that Janis turns into a great WR or at least a good one, but would you cut either Abby, Jones, Adams or Montgomery if Janis's only contribution will be as a good gunner on punts?

Jarrett Bush spent nine season with the Packers mostly because of his performance on special teams. The Packers need some standouts there even if those guys don´t have an impact on either offense or defense. In addition after watching Janis make some important catches during the playoff loss at Arizona I´m convinced he´s good enough to be at least the team´s #6 receiver.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may develop into a solid, dependable #4, like a robert ferguson type, but i think the next big think expectation is unrealistic.

With where we drafted him I'd love it if he turned into a Robert Ferguson type...but I think his potential is higher than Ferg's was....whether he hits it, whole nother story.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that, but if all he has to offer, is being a really good gunner on ST's, who's roster spot and depth do you sacrifice to keep him? I am truly hoping that Janis turns into a great WR or at least a good one, but would you cut either Abby, Jones, Adams or Montgomery if Janis's only contribution will be as a good gunner on punts?

You don't really need to sacrifice anyone. Not going to look it up but Janis has to be playing for close to the minimum contract (and the smallest minimum at that...weird that that's actually an accurate comment) and I doubt any late round picks or undrafted guys will have more potential than Janis next year.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't really need to sacrifice anyone. Not going to look it up but Janis has to be playing for close to the minimum contract (and the smallest minimum at that...weird that that's actually an accurate comment) and I doubt any late round picks or undrafted guys will have more potential than Janis next year.

It looks like he's talking rosters slots, not cash or extra bodies. If they bring back Abby, Monty, Jones, and Adams, as were named, and you factor in Jordy and Cobb, that's already six receivers.

D

Deleted member 6794

It looks like he's talking rosters slots, not cash or extra bodies. If they bring back Abby, Monty, Jones, and Adams, as were named, and you factor in Jordy and Cobb, that's already six receivers.

I guess that if the Packers bring back Jones either he or Abbrederis would be the odd man out if the team keeps six receivers on the final roster.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My point was that you keep the guys that you think might be the best players. I doubt the team says, "Our seventh WR will probably be a better player than our 7th corner but we have to have 7 corners and can only have 6 WRs so cut the WR that's probably better". When you're talking about the end of the roster I'm not real sure anything is set in stone. The Packers kept six tight ends one year for goodness sakes.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if we're talking free agency wide receivers, can I just mention that TE Ladarius Green is younger than Travis Kelce? Just putting that out there...I mean, receiving tight ends (outside of Gronk and Kelce) are pretty much just really big receivers nowadays.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if we're talking free agency wide receivers, can I just mention that TE Ladarius Green is younger than Travis Kelce? Just putting that out there...I mean, receiving tight ends (outside of Gronk and Kelce) are pretty much just really big receivers nowadays.

Sure, if some guy can be a good blocker and a weapon in the passing game, great. But in today's game - and specifically for this team's needs- I'd be willing to sacrifice some blocking prowess for a TE who is a weapon in the passing game.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People trying to justify Adams whole 2015 season as just an "off-season", and saying that Janis hasn't shown anything really, "what makes people think Janis is any good"..... you have to remember, Adams had a LOT of opportunities, unlike Janis.
Just in one game, Davante had TWENTY (20) passes thrown to him by Rodgers. In a dome with no wind, rain, etc.
He responded by producing a paltry 79 yards, which is 3.95 per attempt. That's crappy. That's bad for a RB.

Can anyone show me ONE deep touchdown that Adams has produced in his 2-year career where he's gotten tons of plays unlike Janis?

Or is Adams just a slot guy with great moves and hands? Because I've not seen that either from him. I've seen him drop passes.

If you're sold on Adams and not Janis, tell me why. Is it his production on the field? Is it his collegiate stats? Is it his combine time? Or is it because he was a 2nd round draft pick? Or is it because you heard all the public comments about Adams last training camp? Or was it the one-handed catch on Family Night?

Janis has shown more in 1/100th of the opportunity. On the field. In the NFL. Forget about the collegiate production or impressive combine numbers, which are actually quite impressive.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

People trying to justify Adams whole 2015 season as just an "off-season", and saying that Janis hasn't shown anything really, "what makes people think Janis is any good"..... you have to remember, Adams had a LOT of opportunities, unlike Janis.
Just in one game, Davante had TWENTY (20) passes thrown to him by Rodgers. In a dome with no wind, rain, etc.
He responded by producing a paltry 79 yards, which is 3.95 per attempt. That's crappy. That's bad for a RB.

Can anyone show me ONE deep touchdown that Adams has produced in his 2-year career where he's gotten tons of plays unlike Janis?

Or is Adams just a slot guy with great moves and hands? Because I've not seen that either from him. I've seen him drop passes.

If you're sold on Adams and not Janis, tell me why. Is it his production on the field? Is it his collegiate stats? Is it his combine time? Or is it because he was a 2nd round draft pick? Or is it because you heard all the public comments about Adams last training camp? Or was it the one-handed catch on Family Night?

Janis has shown more in 1/100th of the opportunity. On the field. In the NFL. Forget about the collegiate production or impressive combine numbers, which are actually quite impressive.

There´s no denying that Adams had a disappointing season in 2015 but it´s way too early to give up on him. During his career he has had 88 receptions for 929 yards and four TDs so far. Taking a look at Nelson´s numbers over his first two years in the NFL (55 receptions, 686 yards, 4 TDs) I´m glad the Packers didn´t get rid of him after pedestrian numbers over that period as a second-rounder as well.

Janis had two amazing plays during the last drive at Arizona on broken plays but fans make way too much out of it. The coaching staff will give him every chance to get more playing time next season but he´ll have to produce on plays being in the playbook as well and not only while freelancing to see more snaps in 2016.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How about the answer you've gotten from most is that they aren't sold on EITHER of them. Adams came on late in his rookie year and this year fell flat on his face. he did, there's no denying it. Why? I think it was injury, a physical problem that resulted in some early drops and was then compounded by the defenses we faced (subpar play by everyone on offense from the line to the QB) and then it got in his head. That's just my take, it could be he just sucks. Either way he showed signs of fighting thru all of that towards the end of this year. But then he was taken out by injury again. If he did truly tame the mental aspect of the game, I think he's going to end up pretty good for us. Anyone that's had to battle thru that pressure and those circumstances can surely understand just how difficult it is to get thru that. Or maybe he was just lucky. We'll find out next year. But I don't think any body is "sold" on him, but hopeful.

Sure we hope Janis is good too, but why be sold on him either? Because he caught some balls on busted plays? i'm happy, and you're right, he did have limited opportunity during the season and he mostly whiffed on those opportunities as well. There's a reason he didn't see the field more. When you don't do things right in practice or in games, you're not going to get many opportunities. I have reason for hope for him, not because of 2 lucky passes that stand out, but for the 4 other tough catches he made in that game. I even think I saw a back shoulder grab and another catch in heavy traffic getting hit immediately. Those catches stand out more. Maybe he is getting, next year we will find out. He ended on a high note, but the rest of his season outside of special teams was forgetful.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jordy Nelson said, on ESPN radio, that Hail Mary plays are all LUCK. You're putting an awful lot of emphasis on some lucky catches from Janis.

And no, Janis has not shown more. If he had shown more he would be starting. If you actually think Janis has shown more (bearing in mind that you only see three hours of a 60+ hour work week for these guys) then what you're actually saying is that Rodgers and McCarthy aren't trying to win.

Let's look at the production and you tell me which receiver has shown more in the NFL over the past two years:

Over two seasons:
Receiver A: 24 targets, 11 catches, 240 yards
Receiver B: 177 targets, 100 catches, 1,101 yards

You are certainly correct, one of those two receivers has shown quite a bit more on the field than the other...guessing you're going to be shocked that Receiver B isn't Janis though....

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game was at Lambeau, not in a dome.

Sky King

Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...rdy-nelsons-injury-b99660738z1-367607331.html

An excerpt from the article above:

...One reason Cobb saw so much attention from the slot was Adams failed miserably in his effort to step in for Nelson.

Pro Football Focus ranked the 119 receivers to play at least 25% of their team's snaps this season. Adams finished 118th. (Emphasis added)

Adams dropped 12 of the 96 passes thrown his way (12.5%). He averaged a pedestrian 9.7 yards per catch on his 50 receptions and just 3.0 yards after the catch. And Adams could be in a fight simply to earn a roster spot in 2016.

"You know, again, it comes down to being consistent," Bennett said of Adams. "Our mind-set, the starting point... but a big part of who we are and what we do is the emphasis that we place on practice. You talk about preparation, that's the starting point."

The trio of Janis, Abbrederis and Montgomery all flashed enough at various points throughout the season to believe bigger things could await.

Janis was ignored by McCarthy & Co. most of the season. But when Cobb suffered a chest injury in Green Bay's divisional playoff game in Arizona, the Packers had just three healthy receivers.

Janis then delivered one of the most memorable playoff performances in team history, with seven receptions for 145 yards and two touchdowns — including a 61-yard 'Hail Mary' TD reception on the final play of regulation. Janis finished with the third most receiving yards in Packers playoff history, and his two touchdown receptions tied eight other players for second place in that category.

Janis (6-3, 219) has almost identical measurables to Nelson (6-3, 217). Janis also ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds at the 2014 NFL combine and has a vertical jump of 371/2 inches.

Packer Nation had screamed for more of Janis throughout the 2015 season. And after what Janis did at Arizona, McCarthy's decision to ignore Janis appeared even more questionable.

"Really as a receiver, he was inconsistent, had some chances up-and-down," McCarthy said of Janis' season. "But with that, I think he definitely learned from those experiences and just had a tremendous game against Arizona."...

Last edited:

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis had two amazing plays during the last drive at Arizona on broken plays but fans make way too much out of it.
You anti-Janis or Pro-WhateverMMdoesMustBeRight people seem to forget about all the big plays Janis has made when given the chance in PRESEASON as well.

They can "say" he's not practiced well, this and that. That's coach-speak. I want guys who produce. And we've SEEN Janis make plays, produce, in GAMES, beit preseason or not.

You want great practice players who suck in the games, and cause Ints and 3 & outs? That's Adams. He was GREAT in practices last year, remember? He was the MVP, remember what McCarthy said? And Rodgers said.... publicly.

You say fans make way too much out of the 2 "broken" plays in the Arizona game. You seem to forget that the Janis fans were saying "play the guy, throw to the guy" long before that game.... they were saying "throw him the ball, he can make plays, he has speed nobody else does...."..... and presto, look what happened.

We Janis fans were not surprised. Why were the anti-Janis fans surprised? Because they were told Janis doesn't run his routes perfectly or doesn't see the defensive alignments, coverages, rotations the exact same was as Rodgers does once the ball is snapped?

Again, Adams had 20 passes thrown to him one game, and he produced 70-some yards. That's absolutely astonishing.

I'm not saying cut him. I'm saying we can do better with any of the other 5 WRs, yes I have more faith on Jordy, Cobb, Ty, Jeff, and Jared. And I am saying I think we probably could get more for Adams than Abbrederis, and I know we won't trade Ty or Jeff due to their big play ability. But perhaps the film has killed any trade value Adams has.
A second round pick..... remember that.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Pro Football Focus ranked the 119 receivers to play at least 25% of their team's snaps this season. Adams finished 118th. (Emphasis added)
See? He wasn't that bad - he didn't finish last. ;)
You anti-Janis or Pro-WhateverMMdoesMustBeRight ...
That's where you lose me. Don't you think captainWIMM and all Packers fans would like to see Janis succeed? And have you never read a post of his criticizing McCarthy?

Do you admit Janis bears some responsibility for his lack of playing time? Did you know he ran a wrong route in the Arizona game that would have been a TD? Hey, that happens; Cobb did too on his first NFL TD from scrimmage. But the criticism about Janis not knowing route adjustments hasn't only come from the coaching staff, but from Nelson, Rodgers, and has been acknowledged by Janis himself. Once it became apparent they needed a WR to stretch Ds, I criticized the coaching staff for not having a package of plays for Janis with fewer - or no - route adjustments. But Janis bears some responsibility for that being necessary. Let's all hope Janis works his **** off this off season into minicamps, TC, etc.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope you're not putting me in an anti Janis category, because you would be wrong. i hope he has 70+ catches for a 20 yard average and 12 TD's next year.

They did play the guy, and throw to the guy, he didn't do very well. You don't remember horrible adjustments to the ball in the air? your don't remember wide open slant passes for 1st downs that went right thru his hands? There were a lot of reasons he wasn't on the field more, some obvious and some rather subtle in words coming from other players and coaches to Packer fans.

D

Deleted member 6794

You anti-Janis or Pro-WhateverMMdoesMustBeRight people seem to forget about all the big plays Janis has made when given the chance in PRESEASON as well.

They can "say" he's not practiced well, this and that. That's coach-speak. I want guys who produce. And we've SEEN Janis make plays, produce, in GAMES, beit preseason or not.

You want great practice players who suck in the games, and cause Ints and 3 & outs? That's Adams. He was GREAT in practices last year, remember? He was the MVP, remember what McCarthy said? And Rodgers said.... publicly.

You say fans make way too much out of the 2 "broken" plays in the Arizona game. You seem to forget that the Janis fans were saying "play the guy, throw to the guy" long before that game.... they were saying "throw him the ball, he can make plays, he has speed nobody else does...."..... and presto, look what happened.

We Janis fans were not surprised. Why were the anti-Janis fans surprised? Because they were told Janis doesn't run his routes perfectly or doesn't see the defensive alignments, coverages, rotations the exact same was as Rodgers does once the ball is snapped?

Again, Adams had 20 passes thrown to him one game, and he produced 70-some yards. That's absolutely astonishing.

I'm not saying cut him. I'm saying we can do better with any of the other 5 WRs, yes I have more faith on Jordy, Cobb, Ty, Jeff, and Jared. And I am saying I think we probably could get more for Adams than Abbrederis, and I know we won't trade Ty or Jeff due to their big play ability. But perhaps the film has killed any trade value Adams has.
A second round pick..... remember that.

Just for the record I would love to see Janis succeed but I´m not overreacting to two great catches he made on broken plays. And please could we stop talking about what he did during the preseason??? Larry Pinkard had a 77-yard TD reception during this year´s preseason finale, want to bring him in for Adams as well??? :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm a fan of anyone wearing Green and Gold. But let's be honest here about Janis (and Abby), neither of them earned a starting position when they needed to, before the season started and in the classroom. Would Jones have even been brought in when Jordy went down if the Packers thought Janis/Abby could fill the void? Neither of them would have seen much playing time had Jordy and others not suffered injuries. Also, lets not forget who was throwing to Janis, making him look just that much better when he did get the opportunity. Janis definitely earned his spot on special teams this year and no doubt will have a chance to do the same next year as a WR. But until he does that, he is still a #6 or #7 WR on the Packers IMO.

All that said, I love his "potential", but he will need to convert that into "reality" both on and off the field.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
i hope you're not putting me in an anti Janis category, because you would be wrong. i hope he has 70+ catches for a 20 yard average and 12 TD's next year.
See, you are anti-Janis: I hope he has 144* receptions for 1849* yards and 24* TDs! :D

(* all single season NFL records.)

D

Deleted member 6794

See, you are anti-Janis: I hope he has 144* receptions for 1849* yards and 24* TDs! :D

(* all single season NFL records.)

It seems you're anti-Janis as well as you don't even think he's capable of getting 1,965 receiving yards. Since 2012 the ridiculous low number of 1,849 you suggested wouldn't be good enough for a single season record anymore (Megatron had 1,964 that season).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It seems you're anti-Janis as well as you don't even think he's capable of getting 1,965 receiving yards. Since 2012 the ridiculous low number of 1,849 you suggested wouldn't be good enough for a single season record anymore (Megatron had 1,964 that season).
Damnit! My keyboard screwed up - I meant to type 2,049. Yea that's the ticket, my keyboard screwed up.

Members online

Latest posts