Free Agency: WR

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd argue Adams has shown the biggest upside. He was much better late in his rookie season that Janis ever has been.
Your point is probably the one MM would say, and is the popular one, so you're right. They'd never give up on a 2nd round pick after 2 seasons. I just think that he has nice trade value unlike Ty, Jeff, or Jared.

I'd argue that Adams only made some plays against New England and Dallas, and each of those teams put extra focus on stopping Jordy & Cobb. Adams had single coverages with the defenses nickelbacks typically. We saw how he was this year being covered by teams' #2 CB's. Not open that often, and bad hands.

And even last year in those 2 nice games, remember the big drive vs NE where we had 3rd and goal from about the 5, and he ran the slant in on the right side against NE #3 CB? Pass right in his hands for the clinching TD.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Davante Adams (17) reacts after dropping a touchdown pass during the game against the New England Patriots at Lambeau Field.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Green Bay Packers receiver Davante Adams (17) drops a pass in the end zone in the fourth quarter during Sunday's game against the New England Patriots at Lambeau Field.(Photo: Evan Siegle/Press-Gazette Media)

And has he ever gotten open deep for a bomb, long touchdown in 2 full seasons? Ever.... someone show me visual evidence/reminder of a bomb he's caught..... please. Even pre-season games.

My son loves Davante and last year I got him his jersey, and a bunch of signed cards and posters, pictures.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...plague-packers-wrs-davante-adams-randall-cobb
It was never more evident -- or costly -- than in the 17-13 loss to the Chicago Bearson Thursday, when Adams dropped three passes (including one that wasn’t even intended for him on the Packers’ last-chance play on fourth-and-goal from the 8).

Adams also dropped what almost certainly would have been a 47-yard touchdown in the first quarter on a third-and-11 play. On that plays, Adams beat cornerback Tracy Porter and was wide open with nothing but open field in front of him. Instead, it bounced off his hands at the Bears’ 32-yard line to kill the drive.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...night-to-forget-as-difficult-season-continues
Five months later, in the wake of a 17-13 loss to the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field Thursday night, Rodgers and McCarthy weren’t saying such nice things anymore.

"(Adams) didn’t have a very good day today," McCarthy said of Adams after watching him drop multiple passes and play a role in a crucial interception late in the fourth quarter

Adams finished with just two receptions for 14 yards, despite being targeted 11 times. Rodgers also targeted Adams 21 times against Detroit on Nov. 15, when he caught 10 passes for 79 yards (that's a crappy average for RUNS... about 3.8 per attempt)

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, Wes Welker is available :)

I'd love Alshon, but I can't imagine we'd be signing another high dollar WR. I think we've made our investment in that position for the next couple seasons

I was gonna buy his jersey. What an underdog story and so much heart Wes Welker possesses. Then we traded him to our arch rivals (Cheatriots) for a bag of peanuts. Too much FAIL to type. lol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you're going to find anybody to argue that Adams had a good year. We all saw what it was. I expected more, i still think there is more there. I'm hoping he worked thru whatever physical and mental blocks he had, but we won't really know until next year. If indeed he has, I think he's going to be very productive for us. He was under a pressure cooker all year and if he came thru, he'll be stronger. If he's still stuck with his mental blocks, then I hope we have people that can step in and take his snaps next year.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see anything special at all in Adams, and I was originally excited when we drafted him... because of the stats he put up with Derek Carr at Fresno.

Many of my favorite Packers in my life have been WRs.
From Lofton & Jefferson, to Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Terry Mickens (golfed with him a few years ago), Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones.....

Driver & Brooks had energy, fearlessness. Brooks got deep, had electric speed.
Lofton did too. Jennings got deep too.
Freeman was tough, clutch, got open all the time, scored touchdowns.
Jordy got deep all the time.
Jones makes a lot of unbelievable catches.

Adams isn't a burner, he drops a lot of passes, he's not known for being tough, he's moody out there. He's dropped touchdowns. He hasn't caught many touchdowns.

If he really has this "value" that some say, and we like our other 5 from Ty to Cobb to Janis to Jared to Jordy, then to me, it makes sense to cash in that value with Adams. Can we get a 2nd rounder for him, the same round we took him in? If so, heartbeat.

But I suspect he'd fetch closer to a 4th rounder as the film is out there now. Probably lower than a 4th. Still, we can get a player that can help us in round 4 or 5.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that a TE who can stretch the field to take pressure off the WR's and open things up for them is the more important and desirable upgrade then adding another WR.
That said, I'd also like another tall , fast WR. For depth, competition in case the younger guys don't take the next step, to guard against injuries and just in case Jordy doesn't make it all the way back next season.

I would be fine with adding another receiver as well, don't want the team to spend an early round pick on.the position though.

If he really has this "value" that some say, and we like our other 5 from Ty to Cobb to Janis to Jared to Jordy, then to me, it makes sense to cash in that value with Adams. Can we get a 2nd rounder for him, the same round we took him in? If so, heartbeat.

But I suspect he'd fetch closer to a 4th rounder as the film is out there now. Probably lower than a 4th. Still, we can get a player that can help us in round 4 or 5.

There's no chance a team would give up anything close to a second rounder for Adams. I fully expect him to be on the Packers roster next season and hopefully improve his play dramatically.

GoldenBear08

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Megatron just announced his 'retirement' would've been a nice 1-2-3 with CJ, JN, and RC. *sighs*
Hopefully he has the "Brett Favre Syndrome".

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cross em all off, close the thread. We have to cut, probably, one WR already that deserves a spot on the team.

2016 WR Depth Chart:
1- Jordy Nelson
2- Randall Cobb
3- Jeff Janis
4- Ty Montgomery
(remember Rodgers passing rating throwing to Ty was far better -over 100- than to Cobb or Adams this year before he got hurt)
5- Adams or Abbrederis

Janis just proved himself, but I worry like others here that MM or AR have something against him for some odd reason, maybe perceived work-ethic
Rodgers, contrarily, seems infatuated by both Davante and Abbrederis, for some reason. Funny that all 3 guys were drafted in 2014, but it's Janis who has shown the biggest upside by far.

The Seahawks had a kid named Chris Matthews who had a big game in the Super Bowl. On the basis of that one game, many speculated he would become the go-to guy for years to come. He ended up getting cut.

My point is, I wouldn't be too quick to elevate Janis just yet, he could still go either way. Adams had a bad year, but may very well end up as the number 3 guy.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next year will be make or break for Davante. I have faith, he's extremely athletic. He just needs to put it all together.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next year will be make or break for Davante. I have faith, he's extremely athletic. He just needs to put it all together.

I concur that 2016 is significant for Davante Adams - he cannot afford a repeat of this year's debacle. He has talent, though, and I believe he will be more productive going forward - unless injuries inhibit his development. A big year from Adams would cure a lot of ills.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see anything special at all in Adams, and I was originally excited when we drafted him... because of the stats he put up with Derek Carr at Fresno.

Many of my favorite Packers in my life have been WRs.
From Lofton & Jefferson, to Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Terry Mickens (golfed with him a few years ago), Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones.....

Driver & Brooks had energy, fearlessness. Brooks got deep, had electric speed.
Lofton did too. Jennings got deep too.
Freeman was tough, clutch, got open all the time, scored touchdowns.
Jordy got deep all the time.
Jones makes a lot of unbelievable catches.

Adams isn't a burner, he drops a lot of passes, he's not known for being tough, he's moody out there. He's dropped touchdowns. He hasn't caught many touchdowns.

Adams is on a rookie deal and has a ton of potential. Flipping a potentially good WR on a cheap contract for a fourth round pick might be termed "overreacting".

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really not sure where the confidence in Janis is coming from. He's fun to speculate on but outside of two EXTREMELY lucky plays in the loss against Arizona, he hasn't really done much (and yes, it's lucky, even Jordy Nelson told ESPN radio that the things fans would be surprised to learn about Hail Mary passes is that it's all LUCK). He could very well improve (and probably will considering how small a school he came from) but Montgomery looked better during his time on the field.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never seen a fan base with such hysteria about a player who has done absolutely nothing...

I don't think we saw typical Adams this year. I think he'll be much better next season, but I don't know how much better. Hopefully he builds off of where he was at the end of his rookie year, and takes a step or two. He could be pretty dangerous then, and that would put Cobb in the slot all the time. I don't ever want to see him lined up outside again, and he shouldn't be higher than 3rd on the depth chart.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I've never seen a fan base with such hysteria about a player who has done absolutely nothing...

Think you are talking about Janis? If you are, my jury is still out on the guy. But if I had to guess, the "hysteria" over him is based on 2 things. First, Potential due to his speed and size. Second and probably more important, "running out of options syndrome". Had Jordy been healthy, Cobb and Adams played well, Montgomery healthy......Janis may have never suited up this year. But with all the injuries, poor WR play, etc. I think fans wanted to view Janis as "the unknown hope" of rescuing a team in desperate need of some quality WR play.

Yes, Janis did a good job on special teams in 2015, but really nothing special as a WR if you take out the 2 hail marys. I won't be shocked if he isn't a Packer next year, unless he really does some hardcore off season work or they think his ST play is irreplaceable.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it wouldn't shock me if Janis doesn't make the roster next year. I hope that's not necessarily the case, unless it means we draft a WR. We'll see what happens.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really not sure where the confidence in Janis is coming from. He's fun to speculate on but outside of two EXTREMELY lucky plays in the loss against Arizona, he hasn't really done much (and yes, it's lucky, even Jordy Nelson told ESPN radio that the things fans would be surprised to learn about Hail Mary passes is that it's all LUCK). He could very well improve (and probably will considering how small a school he came from) but Montgomery looked better during his time on the field.

Remember Tori Gurley? He was the next big thing at one time, too. Last I heard he was in the CFL.

I hope Janis turns into a quality wideout, but he hasn't shown nearly enough yet. Nice special-teamer, though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Janis, yes people need to scale back labeling as the future...however last year taught us a lot about his potential is there, to deny that is to deny the obvious. I honestly just didn't think him and AR meshed chem wise well until forced to....if nothing else AR now has a history of connections in big time game with him. That alone can go a long way in helping Janis's confidence and play....not christening him anything, but if anything good came from the injuries to Nelson, Monty then Adams it is the forced chemistry that happened with Janis and further chemistry build with Abb.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think we saw typical Adams this year. I think he'll be much better next season, but I don't know how much better. Hopefully he builds off of where he was at the end of his rookie year, and takes a step or two. He could be pretty dangerous then, and that would put Cobb in the slot all the time. I don't ever want to see him lined up outside again, and he shouldn't be higher than 3rd on the depth chart.

Very little, perhaps, but very high profile. First sentence is interesting from the standpoint that other forums are leaning in the 'why CAN'T he be the next big thing?' direction.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Janis will for sure make the roster in 2016 based on his special teams play.

Really liked him as a gunner on punts. I liked him early on with kick returns, but either teams prepared for him better, he wasn't getting the blocks or he just was concentrating more on being a WR, but his his kick returns the last 7 games of the season weren't that special. Personally, I don't see keeping him around only to be a gunner on special teams, unless he proves he is a capable #5 or #6 WR, which he very well could, depending on all the other WR's.

D

Deleted member 6794

Really liked him as a gunner on punts. I liked him early on with kick returns, but either teams prepared for him better, he wasn't getting the blocks or he just was concentrating more on being a WR, but his his kick returns the last 7 games of the season weren't that special. Personally, I don't see keeping him around only to be a gunner on special teams, unless he proves he is a capable #5 or #6 WR, which he very well could, depending on all the other WR's.

I agree that he kind of regressed as a kick returner but expect the Packers to keep him because of his performance as a gunner on punts.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis is a ST's beast, I want him back solely for that reason.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very little, perhaps, but very high profile. First sentence is interesting from the standpoint that other forums are leaning in the 'why CAN'T he be the next big thing?' direction.

He may develop into a solid, dependable #4, like a robert ferguson type, but i think the next big think expectation is unrealistic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Janis is a ST's beast, I want him back solely for that reason.

I get that, but if all he has to offer, is being a really good gunner on ST's, who's roster spot and depth do you sacrifice to keep him? I am truly hoping that Janis turns into a great WR or at least a good one, but would you cut either Abby, Jones, Adams or Montgomery if Janis's only contribution will be as a good gunner on punts?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that, but if all he has to offer, is being a really good gunner on ST's, who's roster spot and depth do you sacrifice to keep him? I am truly hoping that Janis turns into a great WR or at least a good one, but would you cut either Abby, Jones, Adams or Montgomery if Janis's only contribution will be as a good gunner on punts?
Good point. I'd say there is certainly potential for him as a WR, but I'm honestly not sure.

Members online

Latest posts