David Nelson WR 29 PIT
Malcom Floyd WR 34 SD
Jermaine Kearse WR 26 SEA
Ricardo Lockette WR 30 SEA RFA
Russell Shepard WR 25 TB RFA

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alshon could be worth a look, could use a big ole boy wr. Probably too $$$$$$$$$$$ though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, Wes Welker is available :)

I'd love Alshon, but I can't imagine we'd be signing another high dollar WR. I think we've made our investment in that position for the next couple seasons

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marvin Jones from the Bengals catches my eye here. Young playmaking WR with speed that can take tops off defenses. He also wont be asking for a whole lot.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cross em all off, close the thread. We have to cut, probably, one WR already that deserves a spot on the team.

2016 WR Depth Chart:
1- Jordy Nelson
2- Randall Cobb
3- Jeff Janis
4- Ty Montgomery
(remember Rodgers passing rating throwing to Ty was far better -over 100- than to Cobb or Adams this year before he got hurt)
5- Adams or Abbrederis

Janis just proved himself, but I worry like others here that MM or AR have something against him for some odd reason, maybe perceived work-ethic
Rodgers, contrarily, seems infatuated by both Davante and Abbrederis, for some reason. Funny that all 3 guys were drafted in 2014, but it's Janis who has shown the biggest upside by far.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reuben Randle actually had a quietly nice season for the giants playing opposite ODB. 57 rec over 700 yards and 8 tds. That isnt bad on a pretty awful giants team that had a pretty poor run game.
Also would be intrigued with marvin jones too. another CAL guy.

Wouldnt have to break the bank for either one of them.

I also wouldnt mind drafting a wr. we go through this talk every offseason about how we should take a leap of faith and draft a wr in the first round. Obviously the freakish athletic wrs are never available when we pick but that doesnt mean a nice wr wouldnt be there at 26-27 this season.

I would draft Josh Doctson in a heartbeat or Michael Thomas. also Sterling Sheppard or Pharaoh Cooper are two guys who would maybe be there in the second round. Would also take a look at Braxton Miller as a later round pick. That guy could be a diamond in the rough.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously the freakish athletic wrs are never available when we pick but....
Except when Randy Moss slid to us in 1998, and Dez Bryant 12 drafts later.
We selected Vonnie Holliday and Bryan Bulaga instead, although each time the GM was very tempted, but went with the guy in the trenches, who turned out to have nice careers so not bad picks.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except when Randy Moss slid to us in 1998, and Dez Bryant 12 drafts later.
We selected Vonnie Holliday and Bryan Bulaga instead, although each time the GM was very tempted, but went with the guy in the trenches, who turned out to have nice careers so not bad picks.

yup i remember. Those things worry me that TT wont change his ways and is just gonna hang his hat on Jordy coming back as the fix all. It could be the fix all at WR for sure next season. But what about injuries? I think they gotta over compensate at the wr position to avoid what happened this season again.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randal, M. Jones, Maybe J Kearse and a sleeper and cheap would be Rishard Matthews. Still, they are all going to cost more than anyone we would have to cut so unless they are a big improvement I'm guessing we stand pat with what we have and add a potential newcomer through the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have a hard time imagining Thompson signing any free agents but for sure don´t see him bringing in a WR.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cross em all off, close the thread. We have to cut, probably, one WR already that deserves a spot on the team.

2016 WR Depth Chart:
1- Jordy Nelson
2- Randall Cobb
3- Jeff Janis
4- Ty Montgomery
(remember Rodgers passing rating throwing to Ty was far better -over 100- than to Cobb or Adams this year before he got hurt)
5- Adams or Abbrederis

Janis just proved himself, but I worry like others here that MM or AR have something against him for some odd reason, maybe perceived work-ethic
Rodgers, contrarily, seems infatuated by both Davante and Abbrederis, for some reason. Funny that all 3 guys were drafted in 2014, but it's Janis who has shown the biggest upside by far.

Is Jordy going to be the Jordy of old being a year older and coming off a season-ender?
If so, nothing much to say about the first two. If not, Cobb might look like he did this year.

Janis = 2 years, 16 games, 4 catches
Monty = 1 year, 6 games, 15 catches
Abby = 1 years 10 games, 6 catches
Adams = 2 years, 29 games, 88 catches, and a lot of 2015 drops

With that kind of resume, how many of those four do you really want to count on? Remember the Boykin!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Jordy going to be the Jordy of old being a year older and coming off a season-ender?
If so, nothing much to say about the first two. If not, Cobb might look like he did this year.

Janis = 2 years, 16 games, 4 catches
Monty = 1 year, 6 games, 15 catches
Abby = 1 years 10 games, 6 catches
Adams = 2 years, 29 games, 88 catches, and a lot of 2015 drops

With that kind of resume, how many of those four do you really want to count on? Remember the Boykin!

That's pretty much what I said in the other WR thread. Plenty of reasons to be optimistic but plenty of reasons to be a bit worried as well. Same as last year. Still, if Ted was willing to roll with it last year I don't see him changing his mind any next year and looking to add a FA. Besides, you forgot to add in Janis' playoff game. Didn't you know that playoff catches and yards count 20 times regular season ones.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2016 WR Depth Chart:
1- Jordy Nelson
2- Randall Cobb
3- Jeff Janis
4- Ty Montgomery
5- Adams or Abbrederis

Or maybe people here don't think one good game means he's proved himself or that it means he's shown the highest up side by far.

It's not like he didn't play at all in the regular season. He just wasn't good. Abby looks light years better than Janis in almost any meaningful way and while Adams had a bad year, something nobody has denied, I'm extremely hard pressed to think of anything Janis does as good as Adams outside of his ability to run fast.

And once again. One game doesn't mean he's proven anything. The fact that people are arguing like it does is disconcerting.

In any case I'm not concerned about this position assuming Jordy comes back strong. M Jones is intriguing but I'm pretty sure his price tag will come to high

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe people here don't think one good game means he's proved himself or that it means he's shown the highest up side by far.

My thoughts exactly. The list of Packer WRs doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. Will Jordy be back to his old self? How about Cobb?
Adams was a disaster this year. You want to put your trust in him to bounce back next year?
Montgomery, Abby and Janis all showed promise but you have confidence in them developing into a solid #3 #4 and #5? I don't.

I'd rather see Alshon Jeffrey to be honest. Yes, he'll be very expensive and I'd prefer Ted to sign a defensive FA like Trevathan at ILB. But who knows? IF Peppers is gone, maybe TT signs two (*gasp*) major FAs?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to bet on a guy coming back as strong after an ACL injury, as he was before the injury, I'd bet on a guy like Jordy Nelson every time. Doesn't guarantee anything, but I have no doubt he's taking care of himself and doing everything he needs to do to what he did before. He's smart, and works hard, I'm not worried.

Same for Cobb, he had a down year had some drops, was not our #1 that we needed, but I never saw quit in him ever. It just didn't show up in the stats. He's one of the most explosive compliment players in the league and i expect him to be right back there. I'm still not sold on janis or Abby, and think either or both could be replaced this offseason, though I suspect it will only be one. Depends on what happens at TE. if we get a good one, i think one of them is definitely gone. If not, I think we keep both. Janis had some nice tough catches last game, surprised me, since a month earlier he was dropping easy ones too, but I still can't ignore that the bulk of his highlights were basically 2 broken plays. Exciting, great plays, but the type of play we're not running if we're being successful on offense. Can he be that guy that can be counted on to run an offense with? I've always said I think he's a niche player, and with better receivers around like Nelson and Cobb on the field at the same time his ability can have more impact than what it has now, but that's still #4-5 WR territory. I hope he can get it together, he has some skills, and everyone being the best they can only helps this team.

Adams isn't going anywhere and though I'm not 100% convinced he'll be an outstanding receiver for us, I really believe he was turning a corner again when he got hurt right before the playoffs. he was making tough catches, he was running harder routes, and running hard after the catch. I think whatever physical hurdles he had he was over and he fought thru the mental aspect, which to me, is much more difficult to overcome. his "comeback" was cut short this season, but I think he'll come back stronger because of this season, mentally and physically, and he'll be productive. Montgomery isn't going anywhere either. Looked like a guy that could be a threat all over the field, but very limited sample size. But i see no reason to not be excited about his return next year.

So though our passing game was off this year, I'm not terribly concerned about it next year either. I am more concerned about our Oline and protections, which I think will do way more than another receiver will. We can't pass protect and run block like we did for 80% of this season and expect to have good results no matter who is lining up at the skill positions.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw it out there as pipe dream, but Josh Gordon has officially applied for re-instatement to the NFL. Playing the what if game for a second, what would it take to get him from Cleveland? Would it even be worth it? Only 25 years old still (feels like he should be 30) oozing with talent but a .02 cent head to this point. I'm not endorsing a move like this, just something to talk about as we enter the long offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

No doubt Gordon has a ton of talent. However, his history, albeit just weed and alcohol tells me what his dedication to his team mates and the Browns is. Maybe a year off and some soul searching will change the guy, I hope so. But for what it would take to trade for him as well as pay him, just don't see TT or the Packers remotely considering him.

Browns will ride him and his contract out or trade him to the Cowboys.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt Gordon has a ton of talent. However, his history, albeit just weed and alcohol tells me what his dedication to his team mates and the Browns is. Maybe a year off and some soul searching will change the guy, I hope so. But for what it would take to trade for him as well as pay him, just don't see TT or the Packers remotely considering him.

Browns will ride him and his contract out or trade him to the Cowboys.

100% agree with this. Hate to see guys waste so much God given talent because they can't get/stay sober, it's sad really.

As far as a trade goes, what are we talking? Cobb and a pick? (again not endorsing this just pondering). Paying him isn't something I'd be overly concerned about because with his history, that contract is going to have out clauses galore for whomever signs him to protect against another slip up.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw it out there as pipe dream, but Josh Gordon has officially applied for re-instatement to the NFL. Playing the what if game for a second, what would it take to get him from Cleveland? Would it even be worth it? Only 25 years old still (feels like he should be 30) oozing with talent but a .02 cent head to this point. I'm not endorsing a move like this, just something to talk about as we enter the long offseason.

As you said he's oozing with talent but he's an idiot. Not sure the Browns don't just cut him so I'm thinking it'd be a Greg Hardy esque performance based contract.

He's intriguing to be sure with his talent but doesn't really seem like the type of guy that the Packers bring in if given the choice even though the thought of a Gordon, Cobb and Jordy 3 WR set with ARod throwing them the ball would be a sight to behold.... Imagine that with a slimmed down Lacy and a healthy Oline. We wouldn't even need a punter anymore

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe we can work out a package deal for Joe Thomas and Josh Gordon? Make Gordon's part of the trade a draft choice contingent on his performance. Of course, we would all have to clear that with TT first. :coffee:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My father and I were talking about this a couple weeks ago. Gordon is a monster. He's a knucklehead though, and I wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself in more trouble one day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The league has seen all sorts of knucklehead players and that rate seems to be increasing, possibly due to the internet and the inability for the player/team to keep it quiet. I am sure someone will site some examples of players that were able to turn it around and ended up being awesome players on and off the field. But for the most part, it just seems like teams are taking too big of a risk guys like this, not only a money one, but a fan perception one when that player reverts back to his old ways.

Obviously, each player deserves to be looked at on an individual basis and not lumped into one category. In the case of most of them though, if their original team isn't convinced that player can be the player they want and dump him and everything they have invested in him, chances are he is probably a higher risk.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd rather see Alshon Jeffrey to be honest. Yes, he'll be very expensive and I'd prefer Ted to sign a defensive FA like Trevathan at ILB. But who knows? IF Peppers is gone, maybe TT signs two (*gasp*) major FAs?

The Packers are already paying two receivers more than $10 million a season so I don´t see them thinking about bringing in another one with Jeffrey.

Even if the NFL reinstates Gordon I expect him to be suspended before the start of next season again.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we can work out a package deal for Joe Thomas and Josh Gordon? Make Gordon's part of the trade a draft choice contingent on his performance. Of course, we would all have to clear that with TT first. :coffee:

that would be amazing. I think we really need to go after Joe Thomas.

Members online

Latest posts