Free Agency: ILB

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I´ve posted repeatedly that would be a disaster. While Ryan is a talented player the Packers should mostly use him to stop the run, same with Barrington. Thomas and Bradford shouldn´t be on the field at all. The team needs an inside linebacker capable of covering RBs and TEs. Thompson has ignored the position for far too long, not doing it again this season would be unacceptable.

It strted with choosing hawk over barnett. I get the injury thing. It made sense. But barnett brought so much more to the table than hawk and weve been recovering from that decision ever since, trying to anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are no Bobby Wagners (4.46 40) or Ryan Shaziers (4.38) available in FA or the draft that I know of at this time. Those available are thumpers but slower, have ILB instincts but slower, or are smaller/faster but have trouble shedding blocks and/or fighting through traffic. I posted how Trevathan is slower than every ILB on our roster (except Barrington) but the guy has proven that he's an NFL-quality ILB. I'd love for our young guys to blossom into ILB studs, but hope isn't going to help this D in 2016 if they don't. Freeman was a 4.62 guy, but is he still, and is that fast enough?

FWIW Trevathan pulled his hamstring during the 40-yard dash at his pro day, so he´s most likely faster than his official time would suggest.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he's a good ILB. Inside linebackers don't need to be fast. How fast did Chris Borland and CJ Mosley time? Most people say the Packers need better inside linebackers. Fast does not mean good.
I think he's good in that system with those players around him. I'm not sure he'd be much more than what we have now. Better? Almost surely, as good as he is there? I doubt it and then in the end it becomes about cost. A young player on a super bowl team as a FA? They usually get big dollars

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats the key thing to remember... Theres a lot of studs on that denver defense. Thats gonna make certain people look a lot better than they are, which is gonna mean buyers remorse. Sorta like the saints and eagles after signing cast offs from the legion of boom.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Trevathan would be an upgrade over all the inside linebackers currently on the Packers roster he doesn´t fit the team´s biggest need at the position (coverage ILB).

CJ Mosley timed very slow at the combine yet he's terrific in coverage because he understands routes and his job. Speed isn't the number one requirement for an inside linebacker.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CJ Mosley timed very slow at the combine yet he's terrific in coverage because he understands routes and his job. Speed isn't the number one requirement for an inside linebacker.
and that's not what i'm arguing. I wanted Perryman last year for that exact reason. He could play football and anticipated quickly. Maybe I just saw some bad games from Trav, but he was not in any position to make a play when he was out in coverage when I was watching. In fact he looked a lot like what I see every week on our own team. maybe not trailing by 5 yards, but 4. Still not in position to make the play and passes were easily completed and they ran away from him.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO Sean Richardson was going to be our coverage LB. He played some there preseason. Neck injury stopped that experiment.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Sean Richardson was going to be our coverage LB. He played some there preseason. Neck injury stopped that experiment.

That would have been interesting to see if it worked or not. Just seems to go against MM's talk of trying to be more multiple but then getting into the specialization stuff like that.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Could've been a way to cover for the lack of coverage ability by the aforementioned ILBs. Some of Hyde's snaps probably from the same role.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could've been a way to cover for the lack of coverage ability by the aforementioned ILBs. Some of Hyde's snaps probably from the same role.

Anything to keep hyde out of coverage. He plays really well in the box and in blitz assignment but seems to lose track of where hes at when the ball is in the air.

I suppose they could have done different formations with the same personnel groups to have richardson lined up in the middle then potentially moved out to slot in another look. Its conceivable, just woulda been interesting to see it in action. Seems like an awful lot of work scheming for an experimental hybrid/ST's player. Doesnt appear we'll get to find out now.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miles Killebrew (6'-1", 220 lb SS) could be the guy to fill this role if MM/TT wanted to continue the hybrid experiment. AZ had success with Buchannon and that seems to be the NFL role of this kid. 4.5 40 (hopefully), hard hitting in the box Safety/LB. Passing-situational substitute with a bigger/slower/thumper ILB for running downs?

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miles Killebrew (6'-1", 220 lb SS) could be the guy to fill this role if MM/TT wanted to continue the hybrid experiment. AZ had success with Buchannon and that seems to be the NFL role of this kid. 4.5 40 (hopefully), hard hitting in the box Safety/LB. Passing-situational substitute with a bigger/slower/thumper ILB for running downs?

Sounds good on paper

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If the Packers can get a better NT, someone to keep linebackers clean, then why not let Burnett slide down to ILB? Cardinals did something similar with Deone Bucannon and Burnett is the same size and better against the run.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My thoughts as to why TT could show interest in Tanner McEvoy. 6'6" 229#s. Really tall to pass over. Not sure of his coverage skill. Probably a project. Don't understand why he'd want to play TE. Better blocker than tackler?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My thoughts as to why TT could show interest in Tanner McEvoy. 6'6" 229#s. Really tall to pass over. Not sure of his coverage skill. Probably a project. Don't understand why he'd want to play TE. Better blocker than tackler?

I really like McEvoy and hope the Packers can figure out when he will come off the board and get him (6-7th round). He is 6' 6", is a hard hitter, good hands, decent cover skills but IMO, with some work and weight room, might possibly turn into a good TE. Never thought about trying to line him up at ILB, but that might be an option as well. Bottom line, the guy is cerebral and multi talented having played QB, FS, WR and taken snaps from the Wildcat formation. If nothing else, you have a good ST player until they find his role.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't know if his being listed as a TE was his idea. Here's a site that lists him as the 20th best FS: http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Free-Safeties-2016-Draft.asp

Probably better to be the 11th or 12th best TE than the 20th FS :). He is an intriguing prospect. It will be interesting to see what position he plays in the NFL and how he does.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He is an intriguing prospect. It will be interesting to see what position he plays in the NFL and how he does.

McEvoy definitely was a swiss army knife at the college level, but how he fits in on the Pro Level, if at all, may keep some teams from even looking at him. My feeling is, once you get to that 6th and 7th round, you start looking at guys like him; brains, determination and an athletic NFL body to go along with some good skills. No doubt he will get a shot in the NFL, I just hope its with the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that speed isn't the most important requirement for an inside linebacker but it doesn't hurt either when covering RBs and TEs. I watched a replay of the AFCCG, specifically concentrating on Trevathan in coverage, and Mondio is correct, he didn't excel at it, at least in that game.

If the Packers can get a better NT, someone to keep linebackers clean, then why not let Burnett slide down to ILB? Cardinals did something similar with Deone Bucannon and Burnett is the same size and better against the run.

I'd rather prefer to line up someone at ILB who has played the position for most of his career than move Burnett there.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trevathan or Marshall would still be upgrades to what we have. Plus Clay moves back outside. Win/win.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know everyone wants clay back outside full time, but i really feel like hes blossomed when moved around like he has been. Defense has been better and more diverse. Plus, offenses now have to actually account for him, rather than just slide protection his way every time. After 2010, he hasnt had the impact purely as a pss rusher. I know im in the minority but i think hea been far more productive in his expanded role. Hes athletic enough to play in space and hes decent in coverage. I dont have an issue with him spending some inside, really.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know everyone wants clay back outside full time, but i really feel like hes blossomed when moved around like he has been. Defense has been better and more diverse. Plus, offenses now have to actually account for him, rather than just slide protection his way every time. After 2010, he hasnt had the impact purely as a pss rusher. I know im in the minority but i think hea been far more productive in his expanded role. Hes athletic enough to play in space and hes decent in coverage. I dont have an issue with him spending some inside, really.
I agree partially. I think moving him around with creativity in mind is great for this team. I think having him play inside out of necessity makes this defense less than it could be if we had 2 competent ILB's

D

Deleted member 6794

I´m fine with Matthews moving around and partially play inside but mostly he should rush the passer from the edge.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anywhere Matthews plays as a linebacker, he has the potential to do good things. But as others have said, I prefer having him as a "starter" at OLB, with the option of moving him around as needed. The important part of that equation is finding 2 capable ILB's to fit in between Clay and Julius. Find me those and our defense gets a whole lot better.

I think we all know what position Clay prefers playing as well. I think we see a totally rejuvenated #52 next year if we see him at OLB.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that speed isn't the most important requirement for an inside linebacker but it doesn't hurt either when covering RBs and TEs. I watched a replay of the AFCCG, specifically concentrating on Trevathan in coverage, and Mondio is correct, he didn't excel at it, at least in that game.

I'd rather prefer to line up someone at ILB who has played the position for most of his career than move Burnett there.

Sure, I'm all for that. However, if people are worried about the coverage element for the ILB, then what's the problem with putting a guy that's been in coverage most of his career in at ILB on passing downs?