Free Agency: ILB

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji slipped mid season while struggling with an injury but as a whole he played well at NT this year. I don't think he's worth big money, but he played well enough to be kept assuming his K is reasonable.

OK...we'll see which of us is correct when Raji gets offers this offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO, good LBs are easy to find in FA or the draft. Less important position I believe.

Hard to agree with this statement on 2 levels. First, how are LB's a less important position? The 2 SB Teams have outstanding linebackers, coincidence? Packers have 2 out of 4 quality LB's, with one playing out of position.

Second, how are good LB's easy to find in the draft or Free agency? Last year the FA market for LB's wasn't so good and besides Matthews and Peppers, what luck have the Packers had finding these "easy to find good LB's"? I still feel strongly that our 2015 Defense was 2 good linebackers away from not only being a top 5 defense, but also potentially being good enough to have made up for the deficiencies of our offense and perhaps a trip to the SB.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, good LBs are easy to find in FA or the draft. Less important position I believe.

Not true. Far from the truth. Our ILB situation was so bad we had to move our best pass rusher inside. Good ILB's don't grow off trees.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari should get his contract extended next as they just took care of Daniels. Bakh not that much money, but he's a decent-good and young left tackle, and young. Packers should lock him up, and pray he stays pretty healthy for the next half dozen years.

Bulaga at RT, he's not old but how many injuries has he had?
Next year, this OL will have a few free agents, so I'd like to see DB extended early, saving money in the end if he'll take a little less to get it done early and have that piece of mind.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to agree with this statement on 2 levels. First, how are LB's a less important position? The 2 SB Teams have outstanding linebackers, coincidence? Packers have 2 out of 4 quality LB's, with one playing out of position.

Second, how are good LB's easy to find in the draft or Free agency? Last year the FA market for LB's wasn't so good and besides Matthews and Peppers, what luck have the Packers had finding these "easy to find good LB's"? I still feel strongly that our 2015 Defense was 2 good linebackers away from not only being a top 5 defense, but also potentially being good enough to have made up for the deficiencies of our offense and perhaps a trip to the SB.
You guys are probably right,
Yet Thompson hasn't been able to find one since Desmond Bishop was lost to an injury before the 2012 season.
I'm just sayin', that's a pretty big list of FA LBs, can't we just get a good one? lol

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Bulaga at RT, he's not old but how many injuries has he had?
In the four regular seasons since his rookie year when he stepped into the starting lineup for Tauscher, Bulaga has missed 4, 7, 1, and 4 games. That’s 25% of the games over that period. And you're right, the thing that’s sometimes hard to remember about him is he’ll only be 27 years old next month. He’s signed through 2019 and each year starting this season has per-game roster bonuses.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the four regular seasons since his rookie year when he stepped into the starting lineup for Tauscher, Bulaga has missed 4, 7, 1, and 4 games. That’s 25% of the games over that period. And you're right, the thing that’s sometimes hard to remember about him is he’ll only be 27 years old next month. He’s signed through 2019 and each year starting this season has per-game roster bonuses.
Bulaga was/is my man-crush, so it pains me to correct you :(. Bulaga also missed the entire 2013 season after tearing his ACL at Packer Family Night (and playing approx. 25 snaps on it after it happened!). Also, in 2015 was the highest paid RT in the league. I love him, and think he's rock-solid when he's healthy and available... but he has missed some time. Think he is a mainstay on the OL... TT can concern himself elsewhere, IMHO.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga was/is my man-crush, so it pains me to correct you :(. Bulaga also missed the entire 2013 season after tearing his ACL at Packer Family Night (and playing approx. 25 snaps on it after it happened!). Also, in 2015 was the highest paid RT in the league. I love him, and think he's rock-solid when he's healthy and available... but he has missed some time. Think he is a mainstay on the OL... TT can concern himself elsewhere, IMHO.

I thought TJV was missing something LOL in regards to missed games.

I read someone on Twitter "cut Bulaga and move Bahk to RT then just go get a LT". There is so many things wrong with this tweet it's ridiculous. For starters the ramifications of simply cutting a guy who just signed a new deal, something Ted would never do. And apparently quality LT's just grow on trees (eventhough we already have one). I have no issue with someone having an idea on how to improve the roster, just have common sense when doing so.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Bulaga was/is my man-crush, so it pains me to correct you :(. Bulaga also missed the entire 2013 season after tearing his ACL at Packer Family Night (and playing approx. 25 snaps on it after it happened!).
You know what? That's the SECOND TIME I made that mistake!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK...we'll see which of us is correct when Raji gets offers this offseason.

There's more to it than that and you know it. Raji has a history of inconsistent play, some teams might shy away from him. Either way the Packers will likely resign Raji, failing to do so would likely prevent the team from securing an adequate tight end in the draft. Henry Hunter should be available at the end of round 1.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's more to it than that and you know it. Raji has a history of inconsistent play, some teams might shy away from him. Either way the Packers will likely resign Raji, failing to do so would likely prevent the team from securing an adequate tight end in the draft. Henry Hunter should be available at the end of round 1.

I'm hearing Henry Hunter is like the Mr. Hyde to Hunter Henry's Dr. Jekyll. Could be a good late pick. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm hearing Henry Hunter is like the Mr. Hyde to Hunter Henry's Dr. Jekyll. Could be a good late pick. ;)

I'm liking Henry more and more. He may not be a Gronk (yet) but he does remind me a lot of Travis Kelce.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a fan of Hunter Henry for some time now, just keep hoping he doesn't climb up draft boards of the 16 teams/spots ahead of us (don't see him going in top 10).

If not him where we sit and we go elsewhere due to him being gone or a better option present...I'm undecided what my 2nd/3rd round TE favorite would be...still early.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've been a fan of Hunter Henry for some time now, just keep hoping he doesn't climb up draft boards of the 16 teams/spots ahead of us (don't see him going in top 10).
If not him where we sit and we go elsewhere due to him being gone or a better option present...I'm undecided what my 2nd/3rd round TE favorite would be...still early.

The OJ Howard decision to not declare for the draft, may have cost us a shot at Henry. I like Nick Vannett in the 3rd round but would be a complete stretch to take him in second.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OJ Howard decision to not declare for the draft, may have cost us a shot at Henry. I like Nick Vannett in the 3rd round but would be a complete stretch to take him in second.

Not gonna lie when OJ decided to stay I GOT PISSED for the very reason you stated. As the offseason unfolds we may find ourselves in a spot that only way to get Henry is to trade up...and that better be a sure thing for us to do it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've heard of Vannett but didn't catch much of his games this year...have to do some research.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Raji played well last season then he will get paid as a good NT. If he signs for some low-dollar deal (wow, wish I was in a place where a 7 figure salary could be described as "low dollar") then there are 32 other guys in the NFL that also think Raji didn't play well this year. That's the beauty of pro sports.

Btw, inconsistent play is part of him not being a good NT.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jerell Adams seems to be getting a lot of press after the senior bowl. Could be a good mid-round option.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerell Adams seems to be getting a lot of press after the senior bowl. Could be a good mid-round option.
Nice... I wasn't considering him a viable option based on his 231 lbs., but he's a decent in-line blocker. Combine will be pretty important for him to show that he's got some hands. Still needs to add 15 lbs and keep his speed, I would think.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Raji played well last season then he will get paid as a good NT. If he signs for some low-dollar deal (wow, wish I was in a place where a 7 figure salary could be described as "low dollar") then there are 32 other guys in the NFL that also think Raji didn't play well this year. That's the beauty of pro sports.

That's not necessarily true. It's possible teams are hesitant to sign Raji to a lucrative long-term deal because of questions about him staying motivated after agreeing to such a contract, which I would completely understand.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. It's possible teams are hesitant to sign Raji to a lucrative long-term deal because of questions about him staying motivated after agreeing to such a contract, which I would completely understand.

That is a legitimate concern. Internal motor, drive and work ethic.

Members online

Latest posts