Free Agency: ILB

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could Zach Brown from the Titans be a solid coverage ILB upgrade? 6'-1", 240 lbs and ran 4.50 40 at the combine. Said to have struggled in Tennessee stopping the run but had no problems in coverage. Anybody have eyes on this guy since he's been in the NFL?

Torn pectoral in 2014 but otherwise (I think) relatively injury free. 3 year starter who lost gig as '15 season went on. Turns 27 in October.

In my boredom last night I started looking around for "this type" of guy. This is TT to a "T" if we were to make a move in the FA this kind of move makes sense for him and potential "plug our problem approach".

Is Brown a 3 down backer? Probably not currently as it is seen...however is he an upgrade for obvious passing downs at ILB? Without a doubt in my mind, I believe this more than I believe I love the Packers.

This kinda of pickup makes sense for multiple reasons; he's an upgrade from what we have, he's a guy that had potential and fizzled on a bad team, he will come at a price not involving a lot of risk.

I would really look to this kind of move if TT and staff sees 1 to 4 guys in the draft that they'd like to target at ILB. The coupled approach would at worst upgrade our ILB corps from a failing grade to perhaps a C- worst case (excluding Clay of course) and maybe by year's end enter the B range.

I still would prefer a guy that comes in and can do everything...but fact is I don't think anyone in FA is that, or atleast not at a price that wouldn't cripple our future....nor do I see a sure thing in the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In my boredom last night I started looking around for "this type" of guy. This is TT to a "T" if we were to make a move in the FA this kind of move makes sense for him and potential "plug our problem approach".

Interesting way to put it "guessing what TT will do and how he thinks" VS "If I was TT, this is what I would do". Seems like many of us spend our time guessing what TT will do, especially in the off season. While others prefer to play the role of Packer GM and focus on what they would do. Not saying doing either is right or wrong when it comes to the forums, both are fun, just interesting how the lines get blurred.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting way to put it "guessing what TT will do and how he thinks" VS "If I was TT, this is what I would do". Seems like many of us spend our time guessing what TT will do, especially in the off season. While others prefer to play the role of Packer GM and focus on what they would do. Not saying doing either is right or wrong when it comes to the forums, both are fun, just interesting how the lines get blurred.

True, I will get bashed for it but I've always for the most part had a similar mindset to TT when it comes to FA. Price has to be right, cannot cripple team's future and/or I gotta see a sure thing. That means a lot of plug and play type guys, resign your own (extremely undervalued these days) and perhaps taking a couple swings in terms of players underplaying elsewhere (Z Brown would be a case) or spending big on a sure thing (like a Reggie White deal).

D

Deleted member 6794

Brown is very good in coverage but not a thumper against the run. He lost his job to Williamson who filled-in for Brown after '14's early-season injury. Titans still couldn't stop the run, even with Brown a reserve and Williamson playing, so some of the blame can be shared by the D-line and maybe coaching/scheme. Not starting on a crappy team doesn't necessarily mean it's the player, but it could.

Davon House couldn't crack the starting line-up in GB but was signed for $6.5Mil/yr by Jax and ended up starting 15 games, 60 tackles, 23 passes defensed, 4 Ints and 1 forced fumble.

In the TE thread we're all gushing over Ladarius Green who couldn't crack the starting line-up on a marginal SD team, yet will be the top FA TE. Scheme, coaching, player doesn't "fit" rather than using his strengths... change of scenery and a new team utilizing Brown's strength (coverage) may be what the kid needs?

House played on one of the best teams in the league though and Green started a total of 26 games for the Chargers in four years. A guy who started the season as a starter on one of the worst teams in the league and got benched midway through it doesn´t cut it for me.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I´ve posted repeatedly that would be a disaster. While Ryan is a talented player the Packers should mostly use him to stop the run, same with Barrington. Thomas and Bradford shouldn´t be on the field at all. The team needs an inside linebacker capable of covering RBs and TEs. Thompson has ignored the position for far too long, not doing it again this season would be unacceptable.
Zach Brown excels at coverage but was benched because Williamson was better against the run, where the Titans were really bad. Why not combine Ryan on early/run downs and Brown in pass situations and maybe nickel? Brown is an experienced ILB (not converted S, OLB, or DL) that would be perfect for GB, IMHO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Zach Brown excels at coverage but was benched because Williamson was better against the run, where the Titans were really bad. Why not combine Ryan on early/run downs and Brown in pass situations and maybe nickel? Brown is an experienced ILB (not converted S, OLB, or DL) that would be perfect for GB, IMHO.

You seem to be convinced that Brown excels in coverage, something I can´t comment on because I haven´t watched him closely so far (maybe I have time later in the week to watch some film on him). I wonder how much you´ve seen him play to be so sure about that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seem to be convinced that Brown excels in coverage, something I can´t comment on because I haven´t watched him closely so far (maybe I have time later in the week to watch some film on him). I wonder how much you´ve seen him play to be so sure about that.

I personally don't foresee him as a sure thing at ILB for the future, however is it more possible he would be than what we currently have on staff? Yes, without a doubt.

I see him as an upgrade to what we have, as he is a coverage ILB more than run stuffer. Tennessee sat him down because they needed better run defense due to their inferior DL in front of the LBs. I watched him some and looked up some tapes of him and his stats from when he entered the league last night. Is he the savior at ILB for the future, I'd put the chance of that at less than 25%...however he is 100% an upgrade and would give us a LB for sure fire pass coverage better than anything we have yet on the roster (proven). *I would still desire a draftee or even a second FA brought in with a similar goal of offering an ILB more coverage oriented.

I'd be all for this type of FA signing from TT, doesn't necessarily have to be this specific guy but similar in nature. Different scenario can greatly impact a player's performance; new coaches, new teammates and/or new city can all change this.

I have given up on us finding a all encompassing ILB that covers well, stops run well and is the admiral on Defense like a Luke Kuechly...give me both trick ponies playing in there with known strengths and weaknesses at least. We've never had a coverage skilled LB in years...too many years...at least get me something TT, something!

Sky King

Reaction score
If I was TT I would probably continue doing what TT has always done. On the other hand, if TT were me he'd be relaxing at home tonight with a beer in his hand wondering what I'm going to do with the team. Is that about right in principle? ;)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't be upset if they signed him. I don't think he'll be as hot a commodity as the writers of that article seem to think. If the Packers signed someone like Freeman or Trevathan or Zach Brown at ILB plus Ladarius Green at TE, that would give the Packers all sorts of possibilities for the 2016 draft.

They could go with Jaylon Smith in round 1 who just might fall to them. If Peppers stays next year then the pressure to get Jaylon on the field ASAP is not so great. They could also drop Guion and/or Raji and go for a Jarran Reed or Sheldon Rankins in a very deep draft at DT and then have some room to choose some top notch BPAs in rounds 2 and 3 at any number of positions including OLB, ILB, WR, OT, even RB. Say, a Braxton Miller in round 3 although he might very well go in round 2.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Freeman would be an upgrade over our current inside linebackers but with him turning 30 before the 2016 season I would prefer to get a younger player to improve the position.
Certainly signing the younger player with a couple or more years of his prime would be preferable, but how would you, and others compare Trevathan and Freeman assuming Freeman's play doesn't decline for the next couple of seasons?

D

Deleted member 6794

Certainly signing the younger player with a couple or more years of his prime would be preferable, but how would you, and others compare Trevathan and Freeman assuming Freeman's play doesn't decline for the next couple of seasons?

Regardless of age I think that Trevathan better fits the Packers needs than Freeman.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even have an opinion on this anymore. From the little I watched of Trevathan, I thought he was not really any better than what we have in coverage, but a heck of a run defender. Listening to sports radio around here and reading the articles in the press, apparently he's a stud in covering RB's and TE's down the field and ok at run defense.

But if they feel Trevathan is worth it, I'd be ok with signing him. he's going to be expensive, everybody coming off a superbowl bounce is expensive and i don't believe most are worth it. I think he's a good ILB, but I don't think he's a difference maker on that defense. I think the guys in front of him are much more so, the 2 OLB's are more so and the guys behind him are bigger difference makers. He's a good fit in there, no doubt about that, but I question if what he brings here , or anywhere else is going to be worth the price tag that comes with it.

I think a guy like Freeman might command a little less, and be a shorter deal. That will leave more money for other places and time to develop a new guy too. But I don't think I watched a complete Indy game all year, so I have no opinion on him one way or the other.

I'd rather they stack the DL and OLB's over ILB, but if they get good guys, I don't care where they come from or how many they get.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We should get 2 FA ILBs and draft another one high. Stack the position.
That would be a foolish overreaction IMO. One of Barrington and Ryan can start there; in fact both may be starting on opening day. Why (most likely) overpay two FAs and spend a high draft choice?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should get 2 FA ILBs and draft another one high. Stack the position.

We don't need that...be ill to use money on two FA contracts and a draft spot on a spot that we have a run stuffing style already (actually 2) on the roster. We need an athletic coverage style ball hawking ILB...we got the rest covered at ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

We don't need that...be ill to use money on two FA contracts and a draft spot on a spot that we have a run stuffing style already (actually 2) on the roster. We need an athletic coverage style ball hawking ILB...we got the rest covered at ILB.

While I agree with parts of your post I wouldn´t mind adding a run stuffer as well who presents an upgrade over Barrington and Ryan.

H

HardRightEdge

I have not read every post in this thread to see if Nigel Bradham has been mentioned, but I highly doubt it because he's played OLB (kinda sorta) the last 2 seasons. He should be reasonably priced.

2013: After the 2013 season he was dubbed a "secret superstar" by PFF noting in particular his very high run stopping grade on 1/3 snaps coming off the bench for the injured Moats playing inside in Pettine's 3-4.

2014: He played OLB in Schwartz's 4-3. However, it should be recalled that Buffalo played nickel all day except in short yardage in defeating the Packers, with Bradham playing exceptionally well inside with Brown. This is indicative of Bradham's decent coverage skills. It should be noted he ran a 4.64 at the combine, pretty speedy for a guy best known as a run stopper. In the end, he had an outstanding season and looked to be a player on the rise.

2015: Ryan comes in with his 4-3-under scheme, which looks more like a 3-4 with Bradham getting snaps inside. Buffalo's top 5 D from the previous 2 years slumped. The loss of Kyle Williams or the D-backfield play hardly accounts for the issues. It's interesting that both Bradham and Brown are regarded to have had off years. Coincidence or scheme? More likely it was scheme. There were complaints about if off and on all season from a several players, a design coming from one of the most overrated defensive minds in the game. Or if one wants to view Ryan more charitably, having 3 different DCs with 3 different schemes over 3 years is a recipe for disfunction.

So, Bradham may present a unique opportunity, a guy with a dreadful PFF grade for 2015 playing in a dysfunctional scheme who looks like he has the skills to be a 3-down player in Caper's shceme. He should come at a bargain price. Pro Personnel should be taking a close look at that 2014 Packer tape and go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'd take Brandon Marshall too. Both would be what we'd need.

I truly hope TT at least throws an offer to one of them.

Marshall is a restricted free agent so there's no chance the Broncos let him leave.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with parts of your post I wouldn´t mind adding a run stuffer as well who presents an upgrade over Barrington and Ryan.

I think we're on the same line here...however this isn't a "type" we must target. Should a FA that would be worth the investment/ROI sure...or if someone drops to us in the draft, sure.

I mean while I truly believe Ryan has the motor like many greats (he seriously just lacks the skill....ala Hawk kinda) he will never be more than a run stuffer I believe....Barrington has shown flashes to have a ceiling we may not have seen yet, but I still don't think he's ever going to be a stud. So yeah, a smart pickup at the (run oriented) ILB still would be well received, but I am not making it a priority or even a secondary one personally (if I was on staff)

Last edited:

Members online