Free Agency: ILB

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. It's possible teams are hesitant to sign Raji to a lucrative long-term deal because of questions about him staying motivated after agreeing to such a contract, which I would completely understand.

I believe this may be what keeps Lacy from ever seeing a true BIG contract EVEN if he loses the weight.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope we move on from Raji and Guion this season. Raji has shown flashes of being very capable, but he's just not consistent. Maybe it's all injury related, I dunno. But this defense needs a true NT to be what it could be. The defense played well this year, but how many times did we get steam rolled in short yardage situations. This defense needs it's Haloti Ngata.

We have serious need at ILB, though, which may keep Raji around. Doubtful that we'll be able to find the future at both positions in one offseason. Knowing TT, I'm sure he's so sure that the answer is already on the roster... I hope he's not banking on Barrington. Not that he's bad, but I don't think he's good enough to keep Clay outside full time. Ryan can only really play in base, doesn't have the athleticism for sub packages and potential matchups against TE's and RB's in man coverage. He's an in the box guy all the way.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. It's possible teams are hesitant to sign Raji to a lucrative long-term deal because of questions about him staying motivated after agreeing to such a contract, which I would completely understand.

If a team thought he played well but was worried about motivation then they will offer him a good sized one/two-year deal. So, again, let's see if gets that offer.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe this may be what keeps Lacy from ever seeing a true BIG contract EVEN if he loses the weight.

If a team is concerned about motivation but the player did well the prior year, then teams will offer said player a good-sized short-term deal. Raji has had to settle recently for small, short-term deals. If Lacy plays well and teams are worried then it's easy for a team to sign him to a contract that's either short term or has team options. Worries about motivation don't automatically mean players don't get good paydays.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really hope we move on from Raji and Guion this season. Raji has shown flashes of being very capable, but he's just not consistent. Maybe it's all injury related, I dunno. But this defense needs a true NT to be what it could be. The defense played well this year, but how many times did we get steam rolled in short yardage situations. This defense needs it's Haloti Ngata.

If the Packers decide to let Raji and Guion walk in free agency the defensive line would immediately be in dire need of an upgrade.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers decide to let Raji and Guion walk in free agency the defensive line would immediately be in dire need of an upgrade.

It will be in dire need of a replacement... I'm not sure upgrade is really the right word. Both of those guys were decent, but neither was starter level. If we were able to acquire a legitimate starting NT, we wouldn't really need either of those guys. At that point, we'd need a developmental/rotational guy inside, which we might already have in Ringo.

I know it's not likely, but I've never really been sold on Guion or Raji the past couple years and I'm hoping for some new blood.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be in dire need of a replacement... I'm not sure upgrade is really the right word. Both of those guys were decent, but neither was starter level. If we were able to acquire a legitimate starting NT, we wouldn't really need either of those guys. At that point, we'd need a developmental/rotational guy inside, which we might already have in Ringo.

I know it's not likely, but I've never really been sold on Guion or Raji the past couple years and I'm hoping for some new blood.

You cannot have a top 5 guy at every position...Raji is better than atleast a 1/3 of the league at his position. NO he isn't a world shatterer but he is serviceable no doubt and above average.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at Raji much is the way I do Finley. Obviously, someone who could be elite, having flashed that talent for a while, but became a flash-in-the-pan. Let me be the first to get in the proverbial 'at the right price, sure' viewpoint. Let me also point out that he's a decent NT but probably a lousy ILB. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn´t mind an upgrade at NT but not re-signing Raji would result in another position in need of improvement this offseason.

You cannot have a top 5 guy at every position...Raji is better than atleast a 1/3 of the league at his position. NO he isn't a world shatterer but he is serviceable no doubt and above average.

Mostly agree with your post but Raji is a below average nose tackle IMO.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I also think Pennel can develop into a pretty good player.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score

People have talked about his potential the last two years... Granted, with DT's, it can be hard to gauge but the fact the guy hasnt played a lick doesnt inspire much confidence.

Its just sad we only have 1 DL player whos name is worth remembering. Who knows what Jones is anymore. Hybrid edge rusher, but doesnt look like he belongs with his hand on the ground in a 3-4.

As much as id love to see a quality NT in round 1, i almost am scared of any DL drafted by TT in the first. Raji is ted's biggest success in that area...

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

People have talked about his potential the last two years... Granted, with DT's, it can be hard to gauge but the fact the guy hasnt played a lick doesnt inspire much confidence.
What team you watch again? Pennel had more tackles and sacks than BJ Raji or Guion this season. Plus a forced fumble.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What team you watch again? Pennel had more tackles and sacks than BJ Raji or Guion this season. Plus a forced fumble.

Yeah i remember he played a bit early while guion was on suspension but hadnt reacalled seeing much at all afterwards.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah i remember he played a bit early while guion was on suspension but hadnt reacalled seeing much at all afterwards.

Pennel played a total of 315 snaps during the regular season and at some point was even ahead of Guion on the depth chart. I don´t see him as a starter but as a decent rotational guy on the defensive line.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm changing my stance on ILB this offseason. Thought our in-house guys plus a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be enough of an upgrade but now don't think so. Aside from Jaylon Smith (who probably won't help in 2016 until November-ish) the guys in this draft have significant "holes" in their game, whether it's run-stuffing, instincts, or below average coverage.
Don't think TT will fight for a FA top guy like B. Marshall from Denver, but maybe the next level down would still be big help.
- Jerrell Freeman (Indy) - 30 yr old solid run & coverage guy. Some think he'll get $7Mil/yr. avg.
or
- Danny Trevathan (Den) - younger, solid guy on the rise (came back well after major knee surgery in 2014). Probably more $$ than Freeman.

There is youth and potential on the roster in Ryan, Thomas and PS Bradford, so a vet FA would be a huge boost to this unit for the next few years. If only a lower rounder is taken in draft and/or no FA pickup that means TT & MM are confident in the in-house guys... just hope they all make leaps in their progress.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why is everyone so high on Trevathan? Because he plays for Denver? He's not fast, at all. He's an important piece to Denver's defense, but I'm not sure he would be in our's. He's slow, we have slow. Everybody says we need a faster ILB, well he's definitely not it. Everytime I see him covering a back or TE, he's behind them and unable to make a play. Is that what we need to pay the big dollars his big name is going to command to?

I admit, I didn't watch him much this year until the playoffs and he's a good player, but he's not what everyone is saying we need. At least not in my eyes.

D

Deleted member 6794

There is youth and potential on the roster in Ryan, Thomas and PS Bradford, so a vet FA would be a huge boost to this unit for the next few years. If only a lower rounder is taken in draft and/or no FA pickup that means TT & MM are confident in the in-house guys... just hope they all make leaps in their progress.

As I´ve posted repeatedly that would be a disaster. While Ryan is a talented player the Packers should mostly use him to stop the run, same with Barrington. Thomas and Bradford shouldn´t be on the field at all. The team needs an inside linebacker capable of covering RBs and TEs. Thompson has ignored the position for far too long, not doing it again this season would be unacceptable.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why is everyone so high on Trevathan? Because he plays for Denver? He's not fast, at all. He's an important piece to Denver's defense, but I'm not sure he would be in our's. He's slow, we have slow. Everybody says we need a faster ILB, well he's definitely not it. Everytime I see him covering a back or TE, he's behind them and unable to make a play. Is that what we need to pay the big dollars his big name is going to command to?

I admit, I didn't watch him much this year until the playoffs and he's a good player, but he's not what everyone is saying we need. At least not in my eyes.

Because he's a good ILB. Inside linebackers don't need to be fast. How fast did Chris Borland and CJ Mosley time? Most people say the Packers need better inside linebackers. Fast does not mean good.

D

Deleted member 6794

Because he's a good ILB. Inside linebackers don't need to be fast. How fast did Chris Borland and CJ Mosley time? Most people say the Packers need better inside linebackers. Fast does not mean good.

While Trevathan would be an upgrade over all the inside linebackers currently on the Packers roster he doesn´t fit the team´s biggest need at the position (coverage ILB).

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are no Bobby Wagners (4.46 40) or Ryan Shaziers (4.38) available in FA or the draft that I know of at this time. Those available are thumpers but slower, have ILB instincts but slower, or are smaller/faster but have trouble shedding blocks and/or fighting through traffic. I posted how Trevathan is slower than every ILB on our roster (except Barrington) but the guy has proven that he's an NFL-quality ILB. I'd love for our young guys to blossom into ILB studs, but hope isn't going to help this D in 2016 if they don't. Freeman was a 4.62 guy, but is he still, and is that fast enough?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling that TT will think that Barrington and Ryan will be good enough..... and it won't be.

Members online

Latest posts