Free Agency: ILB

D

Deleted member 6794

So yeah, a smart pickup at the ILB still would be well received, but I am not making it a priority or even a secondary one personally (if I was on staff)

I guess you're only talking about a run stuffer here as there shouldn't be any doubt the Packers are in dire need of an inside linebacker excelling in coverage.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you're only talking about a run stuffer here as there shouldn't be any doubt the Packers are in dire need of an inside linebacker excelling in coverage.

Oh my word yes!

I got althetic/coverage ILB written down on my big board so many times I only have the corner for "Stretch the D TE"

You have to flip the board over to see how I think we go after that haha!

D

Deleted member 6794

The Bears have signed Jerrell Freeman as well. Whew, who would have thought the league allows a team to address a position in dire need of an upgrade not with one but two free agents???

That leaves Zach Brown as the only coverage inside linebacker still left in free agency. With him struggling against the run teams most likely only want to play in passing situations though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, do we even know what we have in Sam Barrington? He missed all of last season. I was expecting big things from him before the injury hit him. I wonder if the team is banking on him progressing along nicely as a player? He seemed primed for a break out year.

Guess we'll see.......

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly, do we even know what we have in Sam Barrington? He missed all of last season. I was expecting big things from him before the injury hit him. I wonder if the team is banking on him progressing along nicely as a player? He seemed primed for a break out year.

Guess we'll see.......

Barrington could turn into a nice run stuffer at the position but will struggle in coverage. As I've said all along I would be OK with either Barrington or Ryan starting but the Packers have to upgrade the other inside linebacker spot with someone who excels in coverage.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Guess we'll see.......
Didn't people expect a breakout year from Adams based on like 2 plays, only to witness him butcher the WR position? Even if you've got a guy that you think will be good some day, I'd like more insurance and depth.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barrington could turn into a nice run stuffer at the position but will struggle in coverage. As I've said all along I would be OK with either Barrington or Ryan starting but the Packers have to upgrade the other inside linebacker spot with someone who excels in coverage.

At this rate if we don't see someone step up that is on the roster already, shove a rookie newb into the game or expect Clay to not do what he does best....we may have to consider doing a hybrid set up with like Hyde or Ha-Ha playing up in a ILB-ish role on 3rd downs some.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ragland Ragland Ragland

You really think he is gonna be there for our pick?? Sorry but I just don't see it...not saying he isn't good, but not worth considering due to where he'll most likely go.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we don't make a play for Z Miller in FA....I almost suspect TT to enter draft with the mindset of BPA and go with it. Sucks because I'd personally love a decent/above average pick up at ILB and TE.

All I know is I don't care if Ragland falls to us and we pick him....if come our late 2nd round pick and Jaylon Smith is on the board still....and our medical staff has a decent forecast chance of him TT BETTER PICK HIM. I truly feel Jaylon Smith is the real deal....

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really think he is gonna be there for our pick?? Sorry but I just don't see it...not saying he isn't good, but not worth considering due to where he'll most likely go.
What is TT's plan, then? If it is to go ahead with what he's got, then he needs to be tested for dementia.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, weren't the reports on Ragland saying that he looks like he's running in mud and would mostly be a thumper?

If that's the case, why are we all saying that Barrington and Ryan could handle the run duties, but we need a cover ILB. If Ragland is really slow and more of a thumper, is he really the ideal fit for our weakness?

D

Deleted member 6794

At this rate if we don't see someone step up that is on the roster already, shove a rookie newb into the game or expect Clay to not do what he does best....we may have to consider doing a hybrid set up with like Hyde or Ha-Ha playing up in a ILB-ish role on 3rd downs some.

Well, all of the guys mentioned above will most likely already be on the field in the dime package, that still leaves us without a linebacker in the package.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know is I don't care if Ragland falls to us and we pick him....if come our late 2nd round pick and Jaylon Smith is on the board still....and our medical staff has a decent forecast chance of him TT BETTER PICK HIM. I truly feel Jaylon Smith is the real deal....
I was watching his highlight reel the other day, and this kid is a beast. I wouldn't be mad if we picked him, but it looks like his injury is really bad. Might miss the entire year.

D

Deleted member 6794

So, weren't the reports on Ragland saying that he looks like he's running in mud and would mostly be a thumper?

If that's the case, why are we all saying that Barrington and Ryan could handle the run duties, but we need a cover ILB. If Ragland is really slow and more of a thumper, is he really the ideal fit for our weakness?

I don't think Ragland is a perfect fit for the Packers needs, he would most likely be an upgrade over Barrington and Ryan though.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ragland is a real thumper though, while the guys we currently have just get that association because they haven't proven they can do anything else, not because they are actually good at it.

He's not Keuchly, but he's not slow and bigger. He pulled his share of coverage duties at Alabama, and given the talent Saban has to handle those duties, that tells me something.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is TT's plan, then? If it is to go ahead with what he's got, then he needs to be tested for dementia.

TT's plan is never to overpay or over-reach on a draft pick. Bites us sometimes for sure but overall it's served us very well.

I truly think TT is going to go with BPA in the 1st round or trade back...depending on how the board looks I'd be fine with either. I still want a FA acquisition though of either an ILB or TE...sadly though Z. Miller is the only ILB that "fits" what we need and TE's I'm nearing the end of the list for me personally.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was watching his highlight reel the other day, and this kid is a beast. I wouldn't be mad if we picked him, but it looks like his injury is really bad. Might miss the entire year.

There were several teams at the combine completely removing him from their board as they think his injury is career threatening.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were several teams at the combine completely removing him from their board as they think his injury is career threatening.

I am keeping a close eye on the reports on him...and it does suck. The gamble is at what point is the risk worth the reward...we don't have a GM that likes gambling so I don't see us getting him as I still think someone especially in the 3rd round is gonna grab him with the chance they just stole a future franchise LB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts