Dumervile to Green Bay?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If TT doesn't add a vet OLB to the team and we end up with similar results defensively that keep us from the Super Bowl, I think Ted/Dom will both "step down". I expect Aaron to get an extension mid-season, but even if he does that/locks up Davante, it won't be enough for him to not feel the heat from how he has let the defense hold the offense back.

I'm confident in that situation we will hear the same excuses coming out of Green Bay about TT and DC........"injuries, bad luck and pad level". :coffee:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's not an easy situation. Nobody knows really.

I agree with your assessment and those bolded words are what probably have many of us concerned about OLB as well as why many of us are frustrated that the Packers are in that position of putting themselves in an unknown situation, especially with what they currently have in cap space.. I am constantly my own worst critic of my own thoughts by saying to myself "you don't know 1/100th of what the Packer staff knows." While I agree with myself on that, I can't help but wonder if the coaching staff is scratching their heads as to what will happen at OLB and why TT didn't really address it, other than letting Peppers and Jones walk and drafting Biegel.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
They have really high hopes for Frackrell and Elliot is all I can think. I've read they feel real good about Frackrell's development. I think Elliot will produce with more snaps as he has shown promise with limited snaps. They must feel better about our young guys then other teams cast-offs. Regardless, They are gambling on these guys when they didn't have to and it could ultimately seal there fate.

I'm obviously hoping for the best but time will tell.

Reaction score
I don't think it's at all unusual to be concerned about this years LB core when our most productive player as of recent is Nick Perry, who in 4 out of his first 5 seasons, didn't record more than 20 solo tackles or 4 sacks in a single season.

D

Deleted member 6794

But given the current roster, I don't see how you now can justify releasing CMIII, unless one or more of our current OLB's really step up their game(s) or a quality vet OLB is picked up along the way.

The Packers don't have enough quality depth to even think about releasing Matthews before the start of this season.

They have really high hopes for Frackrell and Elliot is all I can think. I've read they feel real good about Frackrell's development. I think Elliot will produce with more snaps as he has shown promise with limited snaps. They must feel better about our young guys then other teams cast-offs. Regardless, They are gambling on these guys when they didn't have to and it could ultimately seal there fate.

I absolutely agree that Thompson feels good about the depth chart at outside linebacker as he would have made another move otherwise. I'm not convinced about the coaching staff being excited about the talent level at edge rusher though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely agree that Thompson feels good about the depth chart at outside linebacker as he would have made another move otherwise. I'm not convinced about the coaching staff being excited about the talent level at edge rusher though.
Captain - I often feel that in your criticisms of Thompson you overstep your knowledge by assuming his thoughts. If I were to do the same, I would be shocked if Thompson "feels good" about our depth at OLB. What we can all agree on is that he's adverse to making many free agent signings. The lack of making those moves doesn't automatically indicate that he feels good about his current situation. It more likely means that he doesn't feel confident that risk/reward of making a move is worth it. It's a subjective evaluation and Murphy tends to agree with how Thompson brings in talent. That's about all that we know.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One thing is for sure, none of us will probably ever know exactly what Ted Thompson is thinking, nor how he "feels". Those are things he really doesn't discuss publically. Which leaves the fans, media and maybe even the coaches having to speculate about many things. I will never fool myself into thinking I know exactly what TT is thinking, but sometimes you have to make your best guess based on not just what he does, but what he doesn't do. Given the amount of Cap Space still available, I have to guess TT has decided to roll with what he has at OLB and there weren't any FA options that he could sign that would improve it, if he even felt it needed to be improved.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Captain - I often feel that in your criticisms of Thompson you overstep your knowledge by assuming his thoughts. If I were to do the same, I would be shocked if Thompson "feels good" about our depth at OLB. What we can all agree on is that he's adverse to making many free agent signings. The lack of making those moves doesn't automatically indicate that he feels good about his current situation. It more likely means that he doesn't feel confident that risk/reward of making a move is worth it. It's a subjective evaluation and Murphy tends to agree with how Thompson brings in talent. That's about all that we know.

Yes, I think we got about as much as we're ever gonna get with Thompson in free agency this year with a major signing "Bennett" and 3-4 mid-tier signings in "Kendricks, Francois, House and Evans "

Hopefully along with what I feel is a very strong draft class it will be enough to get over the hump.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose that we don't even know if Murphy and the board have some influence, or Russ Ball for the matter, in operating with more available cap space than fans would prefer.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I suppose that we don't even know if Murphy and the board have some influence, or Russ Ball for the matter, in operating with more available cap space than fans would prefer.

There definitely willing to overpay there own guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

Captain - I often feel that in your criticisms of Thompson you overstep your knowledge by assuming his thoughts.

You're right that I have no idea what Thompson is thinking. But him only drafting Biegel to improve the outside linebacker position strongly indicates that he's fine with the current talent level at the position.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You're right that I have no idea what Thompson is thinking. But him only drafting Biegel to improve the outside linebacker position strongly indicates that he's fine with the current talent level at the position.

You, I and others seem to be in agreement on this. While there wasn't a bounty of OLB FA's to choose from this offseason, there were some and the Packers had the cap space to accomplish it . Given that TT saw fit to sign a FA CB, TE (2), DL and guard.....I think it is almost "safe" to conclude that TT didn't feel the need to also sign a FA OLB. Now maybe he tried and just didn't find one that worked for what he wanted, but the logical guess is, he didn't see a need.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's quite an over-simplification method of analysis. I'm not sure that I agree that the number of players drafted at a certain position determines whether a GM is content or not with the depth at said position. There are many other variables that influence which players are picked in a draft beyond just need.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You, I and others seem to be in agreement on this. While there wasn't a bounty of OLB FA's to choose from this offseason, there were some and the Packers had the cap space to accomplish it . Given that TT saw fit to sign a FA CB, TE (2), DL and guard.....I think it is almost "safe" to conclude that TT didn't feel the need to also sign a FA OLB. Now maybe he tried and just didn't find one that worked for what he wanted, but the logical guess is, he didn't see a need.
...or maybe he didn't like the players available, didn't like how they fit with the team or scheme, didn't like their salary demands, saw personality or character flaws that raised red flags, or any combination of those or other factors. I'm pretty sure that all things equal, he would like to have all of the best players in the league on the Packers roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's quite an over-simplification method of analysis. I'm not sure that I agree that the number of players drafted at a certain position determines whether a GM is content or not with the depth at said position. There are many other variables that influence which players are picked in a draft beyond just need.

You completely ignore that Thompson could have signed a veteran free agent to upgrade the talent level at outside linebacker as well though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
...or maybe he didn't like the players available, didn't like how they fit with the team or scheme, didn't like their salary demands, saw personality or character flaws that raised red flags, or any combination of those or other factors. I'm pretty sure that all things equal, he would like to have all of the best players in the league on the Packers roster.

Which is why I said.... ;)

Now maybe he tried and just didn't find one that worked for what he wanted

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

After the 2017 draft was completed, would you say that going into the draft, TT was content with the situation in the secondary and/or the RB position?

While I get your point and it becomes a Best Player Available VS. Need debate, it was pretty clear with most of the picks this year, TT was targeting perceived needs.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I get your point and it becomes a Best Player Available VS. Need debate, it was pretty clear with most of the picks this year, TT was targeting perceived needs.

Thompson drafting for need isn't narrowed down to this year though. How else do you explain the Packers selecting defensive players with their first pick every single time over the last six drafts.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thompson drafting for need isn't narrowed down to this year though. How else do you explain the Packers selecting defensive players with their first pick every single time over the last six drafts.

come on Captain, those were the best players available! ;)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I get BPA in situations like Aaron Rodgers, when a guy is on the board that you had going way earlier and is considered a high value for that pick. However, nobody is going to convince me that when you are on the clock and you only have a "group" of relatively equally graded players left to choose from, you aren't going to choose the guy who best fits a current need of the team.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Of course all of us need to remember that we don't really know what Thompson thinks of anything. We are all just guessing. But given that he kept Perry and drafted Biegel and called it good, I think it's a good guess to say that he felt better about the position than your average fan. I'm sure it comes down to Fackrell. Your average Packer fan seems to put little stock in the potential of the former 3rd rounder, but Thompson always gives his high picks time to pay off.

Of course I do think we need to remember that TT isn't the type to sign a guy just to address a position. He seems to hold off on FA unless he loves the player and value and role. He's probably picky in that way to a fault. Though I will say again, that's a much better problem than these GM's have that go on spending sprees every offseason.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
come on Captain, those were the best players available! ;)

One of the things that happens is that teams will say they took "BPA" but fail to mention that it was off of their ranking at a specific position. They won't publicize that because it sounds better to fans to hear that their team just takes the "best player." So they take needs and still claim to be drafting BPA. But I don't think there's a team in the league that actually always takes the true best player on their vertical board regardless of position.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you think TT learned a lesson from signing Cook last year? If he didn't, his signing of both Bennett and Kendricks is a mystery. ;)

I actually was pretty happy with what TT did in Free Agency this year, sign guys that the Packers NEEDED. Would I have liked to see an OLB signed as well? Yes, but as we are all starting to conclude, TT either didn't see the need or couldn't find the guy he wanted.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One of the things that happens is that teams will say they took "BPA" but fail to mention that it was off of their ranking at a specific position. They won't publicize that because it sounds better to fans to hear that their team just takes the "best player." So they take needs and still claim to be drafting BPA. But I don't think there's a team in the league that actually always takes the true best player on their vertical board regardless of position.

Sounds like the way I used to operate at bars back in my college days :D