Dumervile to Green Bay?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would welcome just about any veteran depth at edge rusher. Dumervil would be a very welcome addition. Funny that the article ends by saying basically, "...but the Packers haven't shown any interest in signing him yet..." Top notch journalism.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Tundramen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a reasonable option he will bring leadership. Peppers although a great player he was a quite leader. Duberville is a more vocal presence which will motivate the young players on the defensive front.

D

Deleted member 6794

As I've mentioned in several other threads Dumervil is currently the best edge rusher available and with the Packers needing quality depth at outside linebacker I would be in favor of the team signing him.

I would welcome just about any veteran depth at edge rusher. Dumervil would be a very welcome addition. Funny that the article ends by saying basically, "...but the Packers haven't shown any interest in signing him yet..." Top notch journalism.

Just to clarify, the Bleacher Report article didn't mention anything about the Packers not having shown any interest in Dumervil. That information was added by Brian Jones of 247sports.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would say they buried the lead, but "Green Bay Has Shown No Discernible Interest In Signing Elvis Dumervil" isn't much of a lead.......;)

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need someone at the 3-4 DE or OLB spot, and that's the main reason why I'm giving TT a B- on the Draft, we don't have enough depth at that position at all....at least depth that will generate some serviceable production. If not Dumervil, I wouldn't mind a sturdy vet like Leger Douzable.

D

Deleted member 6794

We need someone at the 3-4 DE or OLB spot, and that's the main reason why I'm giving TT a B- on the Draft, we don't have enough depth at that position at all....at least depth that will generate some serviceable production. If not Dumervil, I wouldn't mind a sturdy vet like Leger Douzable.

The Packers have enough quality depth on the defensive line but it might be smart to add another outside linebacker.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm currently not convinced, I know we have bodies but I just don't think they produce. However I am willing to give them a chance with the addition of Adams and Francois. Whether it's from the 3-4DE or 3-4OLB spots (Dumervil can play both) I just want to see some improvement in the pass rush and run support.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm currently not convinced, I know we have bodies but I just don't think they produce. However I am willing to give them a chance with the addition of Adams and Francois. Whether it's from the 3-4DE or 3-4OLB spots (Dumervil can play both) I just want to see some improvement in the pass rush and run support.
Not that it matters, but Dumervil is not a guy who could play 3-4 DE.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd kick the tired on Lamarr Houston if and when the Bears cut him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd kick the tired on Lamarr Houston if and when the Bears cut him.

I would prefer the Packers to pass on him as Houston has suffered two torn ACLs within the last three seasons and might have regressed because of it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to pass on him as Houston has suffered two torn ACLs within the last three seasons and might have regressed because of it.

Well that's what I mean by kick the tires. If he's released, bring him into camp and find out.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well that's what I mean by kick the tires. If he's released, bring him into camp and find out.

I would be extremely reluctant to add another injury-prone edge rusher to the depth chart though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know that Houston is much more injury prone than Dumervil at this point.

While it's possible Dumervil will have a tough time fully recovering from a torn Achilles he has only missed a total of 14 games during a 10-year career in the league. Therefore I don't consider him injury-prone.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While it's possible Dumervil will have a tough time fully recovering from a torn Achilles he has only missed a total of 14 games during a 10-year career in the league. Therefore I don't consider him injury-prone.

On the whole, he hasn't been. But he's now 33 and coming off an injury. Most players develop durability issues as they approach their mid thirties.

D

Deleted member 6794

On the whole, he hasn't been. But he's now 33 and coming off an injury. Most players develop durability issues as they approach their mid thirties.

True, unfortunately there aren't any young edge rushers available presenting a significant upgrade over Elliott, Fackrell or Biegel at the moment.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way Dumervil is capable of lining up at defensive end in a 3-4 defense at only 250 pounds.

I have him listed as 260lbs. Typically as players age they may pick up a little weight, either way I doubt it's too far of a stretch for Dumervil to put on 10 lbs of muscle. I imagine if Dumervil were taller he would weigh more. But if he were any heavier he'd probably lose explosion and agility.

For example J.J. Watt weighs 289, but he's also 6"5. If Dumervil were near 300lbs, he'd probably lose a decent amount of mobility. To go even further the much coveted Connor Barwin is 6"5, but he's only 260lbs himself, so a much thinner frame than Dumervil, and I believe it's safe to say that when it's all said and done Dumervil had the better career by far. Measureables don't always tell the complete tale of the tape.