Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this trade might be one Gute would like a mulligan on, using hindsight. Unless of course, he felt there wasn't a good shot at making the playoffs, nor was there a shot at resigning Douglas for 2024. A third rounder from the Bills (for our 5th and Douglas) appears to be a steal for Da Bills. Also, it should be pointed out, it wasn't like Rasul was struggling in GB, he was a decent starter.
At minimum, I have to believe Gute considered Rasul's value in a playoff run. The only conclusion he could have drawn was that if this team made the playoffs, it would be due to players other than Rasul stepping up. That turned out to be correct. But, now that we made the playoffs, we (I think I speak for most of us) wish we had Rasul.

Somewhat related:
Anyone else notice the CBs getting strategic "rests" the past few weeks? Valentine played a few snaps against Carolina, Ja was suspended for Vikings, and Ballantine took six snaps against Bears (despite balling out vs Vikings). I just noticed it from looking at PFF grades and thought it was interesting. I didn't look back to Keisean's snap count, though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this trade might be one Gute would like a mulligan on, using hindsight. Unless of course, he felt there wasn't a good shot at making the playoffs, nor was there a shot at resigning Douglas for 2024. A third rounder from the Bills (for our 5th and Douglas) appears to be a steal for Da Bills. Also, it should be pointed out, it wasn't like Rasul was struggling in GB, he was a decent starter.

FTR Rasul was under contract through next year. We were still a season away from that discussion really.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
FTR Rasul was under contract through next year. We were still a season away from that discussion really.
Thanks for the correction. For some reason I had it in my head that he was in the final year of his $7M/year deal. The trade makes even less sense knowing that.

I guess the 2-5 record at the time of the trade and building up draft picks for the future was important enough for Gute to pull the trigger. I think if I remember correctly Gute claimed to not be seeking any trades at the deadline, but Buffalo approached them about Douglas. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would rather have Douglas and the 5th round pick right now, than a 3rd rounder.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
GB was 2-5, they had lost 4 in a row, and Love was struggling mightily. Plus Douglas was almost assuredly a cap casualty after this season given that the team needs space and he was one of the few guys who could provide it.

Dealing him made all the sense in the world.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB was 2-5, they had lost 4 in a row, and Love was struggling mightily. Plus Douglas was almost assuredly a cap casualty after this season given that the team needs space and he was one of the few guys who could provide it.

Dealing him made all the sense in the world.
Gotta disagree. They got little in return for a Pro Bowl caliber player. They upset the locker room by getting rid of a good teammate, role model, and just all-around good player and person. The cap savings is a few nickels hitting the floor...

Gute has done A LOT right recently. But, he screwed the pooch on this one.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Gotta disagree. They got little in return for a Pro Bowl caliber player. They upset the locker room by getting rid of a good teammate, role model, and just all-around good player and person. The cap savings is a few nickels hitting the floor...

Gute has done A LOT right recently. But, he screwed the pooch on this one.

Upgrading a 5th to a 3rd is a good return. In terms of overall value, it’s a top 100 pick. Getting that for a guy who doesn’t fit your timeline is smart.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upgrading a 5th to a 3rd is a good return. In terms of overall value, it’s a top 100 pick. Getting that for a guy who doesn’t fit your timeline is smart.

Which is why I’m shocked IF true that teams were inquiring about Devondre we didn’t move him too. Likely couldn’t get back enough I suspect if so.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gave up an All-world player who still had one and one-half seasons in his contract PLUS a 5th.
Just to move up to a 3rd?

Put different, you equate the incremental benefit of moving one pick up 40 spots in the draft (unknown commodity)
with
a player clearly in the top echelon of CBs in the league (known commodity)

We have to agree to disagree.
The above made zero sense to me at the time, and even less sense now.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You gave up an All-world player who still had one and one-half seasons in his contract PLUS a 5th.

Put different, you equate the incremental benefit of moving one pick up 40 spots in the draft (unknown commodity)
with

"However, as general manager, Gutekunst’s job is to build a team for today and tomorrow. He said the ability to add a third-round pick – giving the team five picks in the first three rounds – while creating a path to playing time for promising rookie Carrington Valentine and 2021 first-rounder Eric Stokes and improving the salary-cap outlook made the trade too enticing to decline."

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/gutekunst-explains-why-he-traded-rasul-douglas-to-bills

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

with

You’re missing the part where Dante’s claim is Rasul was likely a fiscal cut in off season plans, so it isn’t just the picks in the discussion.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’re missing the part where Dante’s claim is Rasul was likely a fiscal cut in off season plans, so it isn’t just the picks in the discussion.
I caught that. Had said in a different post that the small amount saved next year was a few nickels dropping on the floor for the quality of player you had.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I caught that. Had said in a different post that the small amount saved next year was a few nickels dropping on the floor for the quality of player you had.
However if parting ways was planned due to fiscal means then you get nothing, got a call for a top 100 pick and couldn’t say no as he for sure couldn’t predict the insanely good finish we would have.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"However, as general manager, Gutekunst’s job is to build a team for today and tomorrow. He said the ability to add a third-round pick – giving the team five picks in the first three rounds – while creating a path to playing time for promising rookie Carrington Valentine and 2021 first-rounder Eric Stokes and improving the salary-cap outlook made the trade too enticing to decline."

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/gutekunst-explains-why-he-traded-rasul-douglas-to-bills
i appreciate the quote from Gute.

I love what Gute has done with this team and for this team. He's done some magic. This is the only transaction i have a problem with.

Let me put this different.
If you're gonna trade Rasul, get a player for a playa'.

It bears repeating: He didn't get a player for Rasul.
He just "improved" his 5th round (GB) pick for a 3rd round (Buff) pick.
At the time, Buff was 5-3 while Packers were 2-5.

Hindsight is 20/20, BUT Stokes just went back on IR prior to the trade, albeit a different injury than the prior one.
The incremental number of draft slots you gained wasn't that great. Maybe 40 spots? A bit more than a full round but not much more.

I just have a very hard time believing he couldn't get a full draft pick for Rasul.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However if parting ways was planned due to fiscal means then you get nothing, got a call for a top 100 pick and couldn’t say no as he for sure couldn’t predict the insanely good finish we would have.
But you still have one year of performance from a Pro Bowl caliber player!
In fact, you could get the remainder of the season out of Rasul. I can't believe that deal wouldn't be on the table in the offseason.

What you did gain, as @Poppa San pointed out in Gute's quote, was you gave Valentine (and also Ballentine) more snaps.
The only rationale I could see in place at the time was Gute saying: If we make the playoffs, it will be due to improved offense, and not the presence of Rasul on defense. Which turned out to be true. But, now you're in the playoffs and Rasul would look really good right now...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you still have one year of performance from a Pro Bowl caliber player!
In fact, you could get the remainder of the season out of Rasul. I can't believe that deal wouldn't be on the table in the offseason.

What you did gain, as @Poppa San pointed out in Gute's quote, was you gave Valentine (and also Ballentine) more snaps.
The only rationale I could see in place at the time was Gute saying: If we make the playoffs, it will be due to improved offense, and not the presence of Rasul on defense. Which turned out to be true. But, now you're in the playoffs and Rasul would look really good right now...

Buffalo was a much more likely playoff team, that is the reason they were willing for the trade no doubt however.

Reaction score

with

I didn’t like that Rasul move when it happened and I like it less now. Just my opinion. He goes over to Buffalo and he’s lighting it up. He’s had 4 INt and a pick6, a slew of pass breakups etc. He’s one of reasons Buffalo has made a resurgence and he’d be playing Sunday with us. We’d save very little for a 1/2 season of his production it’s all future gain. I don’t think we can find a top 100 pick that will come anywhere close to his contribution. $7m annual is a good deal for Douglas. I feel like Brian took a gamble there and missed. It’s almost like he owed someone a favor type move.
That said I’m not down on Gutey he’s shown to make mostly good choices, he’s allowed to miss here n there.

I don’t like elevating players from Practice Squad to cover Postseason games, I’d rather have Rasul he was a good player and a great teammate. I’m still hoping the CB practice squad elevation is a strategic move to have a backup in case J’aire’s ankle doesn’t hold up +throws off Dallas’ expectations some. It’s merely my fantasy wish

Last edited:

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buffalo was a much more likely playoff team, that is the reason they were willing for the trade no doubt however.
Don't remind me. Gute had leverage on Buffalo. He had optimal position for a seller:
1. a buyer who wants to buy
2. the seller doesn't have to sell

Appreciate the discourse. Thanks for letting me vent. LOL!

Members online

Latest posts