1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do the Vikings make terrible choices?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Wood Chipper, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    Why am I hearing everywhere that the vikings want another veteran whos on their last legs like Mcnabb?
    Why not draft a qb like most successful teams do?

2. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    The Vikings seem to be a team that have always tried to win with older players and players that are past their prime. When was the last time the Vikings drafted a QB high in the draft and actually developed them into a winner. The last I can think of is Culpepper. He had some good years but never got them over the hump. They have that win "right now" mentality even if it sets their franchise back all the time. Plus their just morons.:icon_biggrin:

3. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,422
    i mean they have joe webb. andy dalton will be available along with others who just need some development.

4. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Maybe they should concentrate more on "rebuilding" the team with the younger players instead of signing a seasoned veteran who is in the autumn of their career and expecting that to be the answer to the team shortcomings. What they need is a Ron Wolf or Ted Thompson who will take the risk to aquire some raw talent and develop it into a successful team. You can put lipstick on a pig but that won't make the pig win the Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Because they love to make me happy.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,422
    Now don't get me wrong. I like watching them fail but honestly I have more faith in the Lions organization than the Vikings.

7. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    I think there's a good chance the Lions will win a Super Bowl before the Vikings do.

• Like Like x 3
  8. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    I think there's a good chance the Green Bay West High School Debate Team will win a Super Bowl before the Vikings do.

• Like Like x 6
  9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Well, as the Minnesota Vikings, absolutely, I would bet that Green Bay West HS would win it before they do.

But as the Los Angeles Viquingues*, I'm not so sure...

*Their way to please the latino community

10. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    That's what I've been saying. Moon, Cunningham, Favre... As close as they may of gotten, still no Superbowl ring. Do you see a pattern here? Their methodology is fundamentally flawed. They keep trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, by definition of insanity. If they are true to this pattern, they will select McNabb. To be honest, I think McNabb still has a lot more life in him than people may realize but I feel it's going to be wasted with this absolute mess of a Vikings team. I'm a big fan of McNabb's, I wouldn't want that for him. I think they'd do better with Kolb, a young QB they can develop around. Not that I want to see the Vikings succeed, just some observations.

11. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I don't know. Why do bears hibernate in the winter? Why do birds fly south? Why do squirrels gather nuts? It is simply their nature. It is their instinct. It is who they are and what they do and like PackersRS I couldn't be happier.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    So sucking is in their nature??? :viksux:

• Like Like x 1
  13. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Yes, and not only is it their nature, but they have elevated it to an art form. I used to wonder how anyone could stand to watch them, but it must be the old principle that everyone stops to watch a train wreck. :viksux:

• Like Like x 3
  14. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    and particular fans the last two seasons, not only stop to watch the train wreck, but jumped on that train!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +173
    I think God has been asking the same question for 51 years now, he's given them many opportunities to actually be good but they have failed him 51 times.

16. GBPack2010

GBPack2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +67
    Joe Webb wasn't half bad against the Eagles. Idk why they'd trust a unwanted veteran over him. He just needs WR and an OL.

17. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    They've made some really good choices too, though. I mean, last year bringing in Voldemort was a great decision... right up until he pulled the patented season-ending INT out of his hat. The Vikings have some great players; Peterson, Allen, Williams, Hutchinson, etc. and a lot of good players too. They just happen to fall flat on their faces a lot. lol. And it's fantastic to see!

18. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Well, they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. When they picked up Voldermort, they were thinking, Superbowl but likewise landed up in hell. It's cause and effect of a fundamentally flawed methodology.

19. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    In other words, "it just ain't workin'".

20. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +490
    Simple...their franchise is cursed and they are garbage...:)

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

21. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Go back and look at the draft picks available to the Vikings in the last 6 years at their draft position and tell me which QB was worth taking. And as far a drafting QB's, other than Rodgers how have the Packers done in the last 50 years? Anyone that they kept? They drafted a few that went on and did well with other teams. But even Favre came from somewhere else.

As to the original question. Media people are connecting McNabb to the Vikings. No Viking official is. First they can't because he has a contract and it would be "tampering". But that does not stop the media from talking about it. Second, show me a vet QB that hasn't been connected to the Vikngs the last two years. Next up, Pennington?

22. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    The Vikings could have traded up in the draft to take a decent QB like a Joe Flacco or a Matt Ryan. It's not all about the QB situation, it's a franchise that has made a lot of mistakes from the top with the owners, management, coaches and players. Hell they couldn't even sell out their own stadium till Favre came.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,422
    Colt Mccoy was available up until the third round last year and he has shown promise. There are a few qbs available this year and the Vikings do have a mid 1st round pick.

24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I hope they take a QB in the first round. Mallett or Locker would make me happy.

25. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I don't like any QB in this year's draft.

The guy I like most is Christian Ponder, but just for West Coast offenses, and not as an elite QB, but a very good QB.

I see too many problems with Newton, specially concerns about decision-making (failing to see wide open receivers) and character (not being driven enough to be the hardest worker).

With Gabbert, I simply don't see the elite QB. Too low of completion percentage of deep balls, too low of QB rating in pressure situations (3rd down, redzone).

Locker, there's no accuracy.

Mallett, there's the off-field attitude and the lack of mobility. But Big Ben had attitude problems and still won 2 SBs. And Mallett is by far the best all around passer in this draft.

Kaepernick seems like a complete package, but his throwing motion is terrible, and the competition was average.

And Dalton just seems like an average QB to me...