Why do the Vikings make terrible choices?

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Why am I hearing everywhere that the vikings want another veteran whos on their last legs like Mcnabb?
Why not draft a qb like most successful teams do?

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings seem to be a team that have always tried to win with older players and players that are past their prime. When was the last time the Vikings drafted a QB high in the draft and actually developed them into a winner. The last I can think of is Culpepper. He had some good years but never got them over the hump. They have that win "right now" mentality even if it sets their franchise back all the time. Plus their just morons.:icon_biggrin:

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
i mean they have joe webb. andy dalton will be available along with others who just need some development.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Maybe they should concentrate more on "rebuilding" the team with the younger players instead of signing a seasoned veteran who is in the autumn of their career and expecting that to be the answer to the team shortcomings. What they need is a Ron Wolf or Ted Thompson who will take the risk to aquire some raw talent and develop it into a successful team. You can put lipstick on a pig but that won't make the pig win the Super Bowl.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Now don't get me wrong. I like watching them fail but honestly I have more faith in the Lions organization than the Vikings.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's a good chance the Green Bay West High School Debate Team will win a Super Bowl before the Vikings do.
Well, as the Minnesota Vikings, absolutely, I would bet that Green Bay West HS would win it before they do.

But as the Los Angeles Viquingues*, I'm not so sure...

*Their way to please the latino community

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I've been saying. Moon, Cunningham, Favre... As close as they may of gotten, still no Superbowl ring. Do you see a pattern here? Their methodology is fundamentally flawed. They keep trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, by definition of insanity. If they are true to this pattern, they will select McNabb. To be honest, I think McNabb still has a lot more life in him than people may realize but I feel it's going to be wasted with this absolute mess of a Vikings team. I'm a big fan of McNabb's, I wouldn't want that for him. I think they'd do better with Kolb, a young QB they can develop around. Not that I want to see the Vikings succeed, just some observations.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I don't know. Why do bears hibernate in the winter? Why do birds fly south? Why do squirrels gather nuts? It is simply their nature. It is their instinct. It is who they are and what they do and like PackersRS I couldn't be happier.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Yes, and not only is it their nature, but they have elevated it to an art form. I used to wonder how anyone could stand to watch them, but it must be the old principle that everyone stops to watch a train wreck. :viksux:

and particular fans the last two seasons, not only stop to watch the train wreck, but jumped on that train!

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do the Vikings make terrible choices?

I think God has been asking the same question for 51 years now, he's given them many opportunities to actually be good but they have failed him 51 times.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Webb wasn't half bad against the Eagles. Idk why they'd trust a unwanted veteran over him. He just needs WR and an OL.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've made some really good choices too, though. I mean, last year bringing in Voldemort was a great decision... right up until he pulled the patented season-ending INT out of his hat. The Vikings have some great players; Peterson, Allen, Williams, Hutchinson, etc. and a lot of good players too. They just happen to fall flat on their faces a lot. lol. And it's fantastic to see!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've made some really good choices too, though. I mean, last year bringing in Voldemort was a great decision... right up until he pulled the patented season-ending INT out of his hat. The Vikings have some great players; Peterson, Allen, Williams, Hutchinson, etc. and a lot of good players too. They just happen to fall flat on their faces a lot. lol. And it's fantastic to see!

Well, they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. When they picked up Voldermort, they were thinking, Superbowl but likewise landed up in hell. It's cause and effect of a fundamentally flawed methodology.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Go back and look at the draft picks available to the Vikings in the last 6 years at their draft position and tell me which QB was worth taking. And as far a drafting QB's, other than Rodgers how have the Packers done in the last 50 years? Anyone that they kept? They drafted a few that went on and did well with other teams. But even Favre came from somewhere else.

As to the original question. Media people are connecting McNabb to the Vikings. No Viking official is. First they can't because he has a contract and it would be "tampering". But that does not stop the media from talking about it. Second, show me a vet QB that hasn't been connected to the Vikngs the last two years. Next up, Pennington?

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go back and look at the draft picks available to the Vikings in the last 6 years at their draft position and tell me which QB was worth taking. And as far a drafting QB's, other than Rodgers how have the Packers done in the last 50 years? Anyone that they kept? They drafted a few that went on and did well with other teams. But even Favre came from somewhere else.

As to the original question. Media people are connecting McNabb to the Vikings. No Viking official is. First they can't because he has a contract and it would be "tampering". But that does not stop the media from talking about it. Second, show me a vet QB that hasn't been connected to the Vikngs the last two years. Next up, Pennington?
The Vikings could have traded up in the draft to take a decent QB like a Joe Flacco or a Matt Ryan. It's not all about the QB situation, it's a franchise that has made a lot of mistakes from the top with the owners, management, coaches and players. Hell they couldn't even sell out their own stadium till Favre came.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score

Colt Mccoy was available up until the third round last year and he has shown promise. There are a few qbs available this year and the Vikings do have a mid 1st round pick.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they take a QB in the first round. Mallett or Locker would make me happy.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they take a QB in the first round. Mallett or Locker would make me happy.
I don't like any QB in this year's draft.

The guy I like most is Christian Ponder, but just for West Coast offenses, and not as an elite QB, but a very good QB.

I see too many problems with Newton, specially concerns about decision-making (failing to see wide open receivers) and character (not being driven enough to be the hardest worker).

With Gabbert, I simply don't see the elite QB. Too low of completion percentage of deep balls, too low of QB rating in pressure situations (3rd down, redzone).

Locker, there's no accuracy.

Mallett, there's the off-field attitude and the lack of mobility. But Big Ben had attitude problems and still won 2 SBs. And Mallett is by far the best all around passer in this draft.

Kaepernick seems like a complete package, but his throwing motion is terrible, and the competition was average.

And Dalton just seems like an average QB to me...

Members online

Latest posts