Why do the Vikings make terrible choices?

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
i like daltons attitude and can see him being an above average qb. which really is a huge improvement for everyone in the nfc north minus the packers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im also a dalton fan as far as in comparison to the rest of the QBs in the draft.

Raptor does bring up a good point that there hasnt been a good QB available for them in awhile.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im also a dalton fan as far as in comparison to the rest of the QBs in the draft.

Raptor does bring up a good point that there hasnt been a good QB available for them in awhile.
That is just an excuse to say that they didn't screw up completely.
Doesn't change the fact that they still haven't done anything to adquire a franchise QB in the last 10 years. Well, they did, they got Tarvaris Jackson...

They traded 2 1st round picks for a pass rusher, so it's not to say that they're conservative.

They just didn't put enough attention at the QB position, and they're reaping what they've sown.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The Vikings could have traded up in the draft to take a decent QB like a Joe Flacco or a Matt Ryan. It's not all about the QB situation, it's a franchise that has made a lot of mistakes from the top with the owners, management, coaches and players. Hell they couldn't even sell out their own stadium till Favre came.
Or maybe Jamarcus Russell, Jay Cutler, Vince Young or Brady Quinn. It's easy to say what they should have done after the fact. Tell me, which QB this year is worth trading up for? Which one will be the franchise QB and which one will be the bust? Since you make it sound so easy, who should they trade up for?

In 08 had they not traded their number one for Allen they could have had Flacco. Childress thought he had his QB in Jackson. He was wrong.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me tell you something about the Liberalasota Vikings that might **** some people off, but I'll only point out facts.

#1- Despite 25 years worth of force-feeding the novelty, Doug Williams of the 1987 Redskins (Ironic) remains the only Brownskin QB to win a Super Bowl.

#2- While the Packers have had just Favre & Rodgers start since 1992, the Vikings have rolled out, among a few others:

• Warren Moon
  • Randall Cunningham
  • Spergyn Wynn (he was drafted before Tom Brady)
  • Daunte Culpepper (1st round pick)
  • Tarvarris Jackson (was a shocking 2nd round pick)
Again, I'm not saying why, how, or what, but those are facts. I'm glad we've had our guys.

The Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Kordell Stewart may have had rocket arms, great size, and/or athletic ability, but just like the white guy's cannot play CB anymore in the NFL, or RB (Hillis and Kuhn semi-exceptions), I believe that QB mess is partly the Vikings blame over the past few decades. And I like it.

I hope they sign Young or Jamarcus. I really wish they'd mortgage their future by trading a ton for Cam Newton! But I think this new regime there has figured it out finally and we'll see them turn from Tarvarris to a classic passing QB who's paler (like our White Wall offensive line).

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me tell you something about the Liberalasota Vikings that might **** some people off, but I'll only point out facts.

#1- Despite 25 years worth of force-feeding the novelty, Doug Williams of the 1987 Redskins (Ironic) remains the only Brownskin QB to win a Super Bowl.

#2- While the Packers have had just Favre & Rodgers start since 1992, the Vikings have rolled out, among a few others:

• Warren Moon
  • Randall Cunningham
  • Spergyn Wynn (he was drafted before Tom Brady)
  • Daunte Culpepper (1st round pick)
  • Tarvarris Jackson (was a shocking 2nd round pick)
Again, I'm not saying why, how, or what, but those are facts. I'm glad we've had our guys.

The Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Kordell Stewart may have had rocket arms, great size, and/or athletic ability, but just like the white guy's cannot play CB anymore in the NFL, or RB (Hillis and Kuhn semi-exceptions), I believe that QB mess is partly the Vikings blame over the past few decades. And I like it.

I hope they sign Young or Jamarcus. I really wish they'd mortgage their future by trading a ton for Cam Newton! But I think this new regime there has figured it out finally and we'll see them turn from Tarvarris to a classic passing QB who's paler (like our White Wall offensive line).
So much racism and bigotry. The only thing lacking is a white hood and some Johnny Rebel music on the background.

It has nothing to do with black or white. It has to do with upbringing. And not just class, but it has a lot to do with class.

There's no empirical evidence that african descendants have less intelligence than european descendants. There are differences in overal physical atributes, which favors the african descendants. But those are minimal, and don't apply case-to-case.

The QB position in the NFL is the single hardest position to play in sports. It requires natural ability, tons of intelligence, tons of leadership, and committment. It's also almost a pre-requisit that the person is groomed learning the position since child, given it's complexity.

What happens with most black QBs is that the environment in which they grow up doesn't offer the necessary support for him to adquire all those traits. Most come from disfunctional families. It's rare for a QB to come from a functional, blue collar family as it is. Most people don't have the ability, and a lot of them simply choose other careers, as medics, lawyers, etc...

The ideal QB comes from a functional, structured, working class family. He can't have any sense of entittlement, which is why guys like Jeff George and Ryan Leaf have failed miserably. That's also why a lot of QBs that are sons of coaches also fail. Even though they are introduced to the position very early, often times they're given opportunities despite lack of accomplishment.

In the past days, where it wasn't necessary a complete QB to win a championship, black QBs simply weren't permitted, or were exceptions.
Nowadays, that it is, there's the problem of matching talent with upbringing.
There are more structured white families than there are black structured families. The percentage of someone with those traits having the ability to play QB in the white community is scarce as it is, let alone someone from the black community!

And there's the issue of how the talent is utilized. Most black QBs are better athletically, so the coaches since youth utilize them as weapons more than QB. They simply don't develop the patience and pocket presence necessary...

Anyway, that's just to say it's way more complex than what results show, that there's only one african-american QB to ever win a SB.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
seriously race?
considering the ratio of white qbs to black qbs its expected that white qbs would win a lot of super bowls.
back to the topic though childress as head coach equals fail

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well that was unfortunate and sad. I had the opportunity to study differences among the races for a couple semesters and the overwhelming fact I took away from that class all those decades ago was what separates the races biologically is infinitesimal compared to our similarities.

I bet that if a certain poster would study what was being done, said, and written about his ancestors in this country beginning about 200 years ago, it may provide some perspective. That is, unless that poster's nickname is an homage to the famous Philadelphia mayor and he doesn't share the mayor's ancestry. Either way, please rethink your views on race. There, but for the grace of God (unearned), an accident of birth (no one chooses their parents), and the time in history in which you were born (also not chosen), go you.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe Jamarcus Russell, Jay Cutler, Vince Young or Brady Quinn. It's easy to say what they should have done after the fact. Tell me, which QB this year is worth trading up for? Which one will be the franchise QB and which one will be the bust? Since you make it sound so easy, who should they trade up for?

In 08 had they not traded their number one for Allen they could have had Flacco. Childress thought he had his QB in Jackson. He was wrong.
The Vikings suck

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
back to the topic though childress as head coach equals fail
Oh, if only it were that simple...

Bud Grant was a great coach, yet he failed in 4 SBs.

They're cursed. That has to be it. Because they weren't this ****** franchise back in the 70's. They had great players who also were great persons. Just look at Alan Page. Yet they couldn't win it all.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Oh, if only it were that simple...

Bud Grant was a great coach, yet he failed in 4 SBs.

They're cursed. That has to be it. Because they weren't this ****** franchise back in the 70's. They had great players who also were great persons. Just look at Alan Page. Yet they couldn't win it all.

great players arent always clutch players. just look at the heat this season. great team. great players. cant pull thru in the clutch.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are to look down on black QBs as being sub par how should we look at white RBs or white WRs? Or Black offensive linemen? Or black kickers.... wait has anyone ever seen a black kicker?

good catch by the thxjack on the meaning behind the posters screen name.

Latest posts