The optimism thread - all may not be lost yet

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the only good thing that will come of this is potentially getting Capers fired. Finally.

You would think, but the 'Fire Capers' thread is like 5 years old, so I have no idea anymore what it will take at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe the only good thing that will come of this is potentially getting Capers fired. Finally.

"So many injuries to contend with, these young guys really stepped up. I'm proud of the job our coaching staff did in dealing with the adversity they faced and getting these young men ready to play." *rinse and repeat* Capers job is safe.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were a Super Bowl favorite entering this season. With Rodgers most likely being done for the year that has changed within a heartbeat. There's nothing positive about it.

They have one blueprint left for the Super Bowl.

1) Just make the playoffs somehow. (possible)

2) Get Rodgers back by January (very possible)

3) Win on the road in the playoffs (challenging, but with Rodgers, possible).

I still think our best shot at the playoffs is winning the North. Chicago certainly isn't better than a .500 team. Don't think Detroit is either.

We've got to beat Minnesota at Lambeau, find 4 other losses on their schedule, get to 9-7 and win the tiebreaker.

Yes, it's a lot to ask for, but none of the above is a big stretch of reality.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I still think our best shot at the playoffs is winning the North. Chicago certainly isn't better than a .500 team. Don't think Detroit is either.

We've got to beat Minnesota at Lambeau, find 4 other losses on their schedule, get to 9-7 and win the tiebreaker.

I would be more optimistic about all of that if we had a decent healthy defense and OL. But we don't. Also, I don't think we see #12 back this year. For 2 reasons. One, this is his throwing shoulder, not the left collarbone like his previous injury. His recovery time will be longer. Second, even if somehow is ready to go, mid December, I think the Packers will be so far out of the chase by then, it will make more sense to pack him up for the season and let him fully recover.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Give that man a coconut !!!! I admire your optomistic attitude.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be more optimistic about all of that if we had a decent healthy defense and OL. But we don't. Also, I don't think we see #12 back this year. For 2 reasons. One, this is his throwing shoulder, not the left collarbone like his previous injury. His recovery time will be longer. Second, even if somehow is ready to go, mid December, I think the Packers will be so far out of the chase by then, it will make more sense to pack him up for the season and let him fully recover.

While I'm no doctor, there is pretty much no broken clavicle injury that leaves the athlete with any restriction whatsoever after 3 months. Meaning absolute worst case scenario, by January 15th, he should be 100% with no effects from his injury.
That would put him at the divisional round for returning.

Of course they would still have to get there, and you'd have to wonder how he would play coming in after a 3 month layoff.

As far as the other injuries, they do have a bye week coming up. If they can somehow beat the Saints and head into the bye week at 5-2 with 2 weeks of rest coming up, I'll have some hope.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many chicken littles out here today. Sheesh

I am the eternal optimist. That's how I live my life and that's how I view sports too. Hundley on the road dealing with crowd noise, with no practice reps, and playing a very good Vikings defense doesn't concern me. He's got two games to show me what he's got. I was at the game yesterday and saw some good things, but like Rodgers, he was on the run because our O-line couldn't block to save their lives. At home against the Saints with a week of true game prep, I expect to see an improved Hundley. Give him two weeks to rest, recover, and learn from his mistakes. Then he'll play the Detroit Lions at home. Even the game against Chicago, while tougher because of being on the road against a good defense, won't be insurmountable because I'm not sure that the Trubisky offense (while impressive so far) is going to light us up for 38 points and put the game out of reach. Hundley has three winable games right off the bat.

That's my optimisitic view.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has gotten better every year. The system. Around him was fine tuned and we'll thought out over a decade. Above all, he is safe. Packers conservative roots love that.
I believe he is here another 10+ years. A lifer.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So many chicken littles out here today. Sheesh

I am the eternal optimist. That's how I live my life and that's how I view sports too. Hundley on the road dealing with crowd noise, with no practice reps, and playing a very good Vikings defense doesn't concern me. He's got two games to show me what he's got. I was at the game yesterday and saw some good things, but like Rodgers, he was on the run because our O-line couldn't block to save their lives. At home against the Saints with a week of true game prep, I expect to see an improved Hundley. Give him two weeks to rest, recover, and learn from his mistakes. Then he'll play the Detroit Lions at home. Even the game against Chicago, while tougher because of being on the road against a good defense, won't be insurmountable because I'm not sure that the Trubisky offense (while impressive so far) is going to light us up for 38 points and put the game out of reach. Hundley has three winable games right off the bat.

That's my optimisitic view.
I’m with you. Hopefully we can get some of the injured guys back and ready to play the Saints.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The JS podcast said that Bahktiari's hamstring wasn't feeling good down the stretch, so they pulled him out for precaution. That makes me think that he'll rest it and try again next Sunday. I'm worried about Lane Taylor's injury. Hundley is going to need a decent offensive line to show what he can do. Rodgers was getting pummeled in 2017 because of the O-line. Anyone remember the hits that he took against the Saints and Falcons? Many of those could/should have broken his collarbone.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Hundley will surprise people whence given a chance. I think that the possibility of this season being an F- it year might mean more snaps for talented young players like Hawkins and Evans.

EDIT: And you know, Jeff Janis! :tup:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The optimistic side of this for me will be that the Packer organization will probably not be able to hide it's failures behind the success that Rogers has brought to it. Now that sounds drastic, but it really isn't. Last week, Rodgers pull a Rabbit out of his **** and we beat the Cowboys. Most of the talk was focused on how great #12 was that day and just how promising this season could turn out to be. Can't think of how many games in the past have been just like that, Rodger heroics and play make most forget about those things that need fixing.

Without AR, this team's weaknesses will be more under the spotlight after each game. I am hoping whoever the decision makers are, will finally be able to see just how much AR was doing to make our WR's look great and our OL look adequate. AR even helped the defense, by keeping it off the field for extended periods and giving it a lead that all it had to do was protect.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"So many injuries to contend with, these young guys really stepped up. I'm proud of the job our coaching staff did in dealing with the adversity they faced and getting these young men ready to play." *rinse and repeat* Capers job is safe.
I'm hoping maybe Thompson will step down..... a new GM may be willing to let Capers go.... I'm not ready to get rid of McCarthy... but it's more than time for a new D coordinator.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The optimistic side also says that 2010 was an injury-riddled season, and today's backups could play just as significant of a role. Anyone remember Erik Walden and Frank Zombo as our OLBs?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm hoping maybe Thompson will step down..... a new GM may be willing to let Capers go.... I'm not ready to get rid of McCarthy... but it's more than time for a new D coordinator.

Couldn't agree more. I really think MM is a good coach and it shows with what he has consistently done with the offense. I don't know if he has full say over Capers job, but if he does, that would be the one area I think he has messed up on. If it takes TT to retire to have Wolf or someone else step in and hire a young up and coming DC, sign me up! #12's injury just might be the catalyst to start the change in motion.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The optimistic side also says that 2010 was an injury-riddled season, and today's backups could play just as significant of a role. Anyone remember Erik Walden and Frank Zombo as our OLBs?

Yes, they are both still playing in the league. But yes, as Packers they we mehhh. I think the difference between 2010 and this year will be the length of time AR is out, the state of the OL and the defense is not nearly as good, even with Walden and Zombo.

But hey, I will take your optimism and raise you one......Hundley gets a week under his belt and turns into a Pro Bowl QB behind a healthy OL and guides the Packers to 8 straight wins. :)

I also have a bridge for sale if you want to contact me ;)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got an idea of why, but rather than debate an open-ended question, let's start with why you're here. It's not to support the team, as they don't care a bit. It's not to show how successful the season can be, because there's no good reason to feel that way now. It's probably to discuss/debate/read your own posts like the rest of us. Admitting the season is most likely gone means we can't talk about it?

You missed the point. First the question wasn't directed at you. Not sure why you felt compelled to answer a question for someone else. Second, it's pretty easy to tell the point was if the season was "gone" and you've already checked out, then what's the point of wasting your time following it?

There is a question that you might be able to clear up though. Define "the season is gone." What does that mean, exactly? Because from what I can tell by looking at the schedule, it's still here. Do you mean any chance of making the playoffs is gone? Because that's not true at all. It has decreased, but it's certainly not gone by any stretch. Do you mean any chance to get to the Super Bowl is gone? Because that depends on whether #12 can be ready by playoff time. I mean, if we're going to come to any agreement that the season is "gone" then "gone" needs to be defined, does it not?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, they are both still playing in the league. But yes, as Packers they we mehhh. I think the difference between 2010 and this year will be the length of time AR is out, the state of the OL and the defense is not nearly as good, even with Walden and Zombo.

But hey, I will take your optimism and raise you one......Hundley gets a week under his belt and turns into a Pro Bowl QB behind a healthy OL and guides the Packers to 8 straight wins. :)

do you offer free delivery?

Reaction score
Let's face it, we weren't going very far into the playoffs with this Defense IMO. The best shot we had was some home games and then to get some lucky bounces at the Championship level. I feel sorry for Hundley having to start with this makeshift O Line. It would be nice to see what he could do with a few weeks under his belt but right now the opposing Defenses are smelling blood. The only silver lining is a home game and a bye week and schedule that is mediocre.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
do you offer free delivery?

Of course, once the money is delivered and secured, you can expect the delivery of your bridge within 3 days. The location of said bridge will be sent to you via GPS coordinates and also include one Star named after you.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'll one-up that.

Hundley begins his HOF career next week, immediately benefiting from the tutelage of Aaron Rodgers and 2+ years in the system. He is an instant sensation, seamlessly running the offense, leading the Packers to a 12-4 record and a win in SB 52.

The development is so shocking that it creates a QB controversy that no one would have imagined possible and makes the 2008 controversy pale in comparison. The Packers are left with no choice but to build around Brett Hundley and trade Aaron Rodgers in 2018 for a king's random return of picks. The residual effects from all these additional picks allow the Packers to load up on both sides of the ball for several future drafts, creating a dynasty in Green Bay as Hundley goes on to win 6 Super Bowls for the Packers in his career.

Oh, and Hundley ends up marrying Olivia Munn.

Latest posts