The optimism thread - all may not be lost yet

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone mentioned Rodgers wasn't holding his shoulder down like collar bone injuries.....
Maybe there is a chance it wasn't broken. Just cracked... might allow him to throw earlier, and be ready earlier...

Well, the team has confirmed it's a break.

Then again, this is the same medical staff that misdiagnosed a high ankle sprain.

H

HardRightEdge

Also keep in mind 3 very important things:

1) Minnesota is not nearly as good as they feel like they are right now.

2) Detroit is not that good.

3) Chicago is not that good.
Nobody's all that good, which is why this is so disappointing.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously home field is out of the question now. But we do have a chance to make the playoffs. We're 4-2 now, and I don't think it's asking too much for Hundley to lead the team to a .500 record from here on out. That would make us 9-7, and that might be enough to squeak into the playoffs. And Rodgers might be back before then anyway.
It's hard to see any Super Bowl hopes at this point, but making the playoffs or winning the division would be a success at this point.

The interesting thing is this gives us the chance to see how good the team is without Rodgers. Or bad, but this is an optimistic thread. Hundley should do better with more practice and preparation. The main thing that worries me is the team just giving up, but I don't think McCarthy will allow that to happen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My optimism is that now people will start to appreciate football. Take it week by week. Enjoy it for what it is. Hundley and this team are going to have to find new ways to win and grow a lot to keep us in this.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We seem to be too injured to overcome Rogers being injured. Our O line is in bad shape, secondary hurting. This may be the year to blow things up,, lots of picks next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

We seem to be too injured to overcome Rogers being injured. Our O line is in bad shape, secondary hurting. This may be the year to blow things up,, lots of picks next year.

The Packers could possibly overcome all of the other injuries and end up winning some games the rest of the way if Hundley is capable of performing like a legitimate starter.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So... why are you wasting your time here?

I've got an idea of why, but rather than debate an open-ended question, let's start with why you're here. It's not to support the team, as they don't care a bit. It's not to show how successful the season can be, because there's no good reason to feel that way now. It's probably to discuss/debate/read your own posts like the rest of us. Admitting the season is most likely gone means we can't talk about it?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be optimistic that TT and Capers are gone by years end. Then I wouldn't consider it a lost season. One of them HAS to go.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'll be optimistic that TT and Capers are gone by years end. Then I wouldn't consider it a lost season. One of them HAS to go.

I agree that if the defense can't step up significantly the rest of the season there's no way the Packers should hold on to both Thompson and Capers again.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we're up against right now is bad. And we're going to talk about all of those things I'm sure as the days and weeks progress. But if there's only one thread to remain almost ENTIRELY positive, lets put it here.

I'll choose to find a potential scenario where the Packers can still make the playoffs.

Looking ahead, we're definitely not going to be going against the toughest part of our schedule.

We've got:

Saints
BYE WEEK
Lions
@Bears
Ravens
@Steelers
Bucs
@Browns

That would be the exact amount of time that Rodgers sat out with the collar bone injury in 2013. Assuming the recovery time would be the same, those are the games that he will miss.

We currently sit at 4-2. For me, it's trying to figure out where you could potentially have 3 wins to get to 7-6, and hope that Rodgers is back in time to win at least 2 of the last 3 to get to a 9-10 win season. That could be enough to get the division.

The best candidates I have for wins would be:

-Lions (3-3) at home after the bye. Division opponent, so McCarthy will have a lot of time to come up with a plan to attack them. Hopefully we can get somewhat healthy during the bye week and come away with a big win.
- Bears (2-4) on the road. They aren't world beaters. They're trying to get a rookie quarterback acclimated. Again, division opponent. Not a potent offense. Hopefully with a little health on the defense we could hold them to a low number of points.
- Ravens (3-3) at home. I've been concerned about this game, but they aren't a team that can just explode to score a bunch of points.
- Browns (0-6) on the road. Let's hope and pray that we at least have THIS game.

We're going to need for the defense to really start forcing some turnovers, for the offense to find a running game, and for Hundley to settle in and show a comfort and poise level behind center to find a way to win some football games.

Lets all keep this in mind: even though Brett Hundley didn't look like a world beater today, he was going against a really good defense on the road in a hostile environment that made even RODGERS look pedestrian last year in week 2. The next two games are at home. 3 of the next 4. He'll be more comfortable at Lambeau.

I'm not one that thinks all is lost YET, I'm going to try to remain as positive as possible and let this thing play out.

So I encourage everyone to give at least one reason to be optimistic. We'll have plenty of time to lose our minds and be upset over the next several weeks. Let's use this one thread to collectively find even the slightest reasons for optimism.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am not using all the injuries as an excuse, but with them, I just don't see the Packers even being able to win many games going forward. If the defense was playing better, we might be able to win a few more, but they are not and I don't expect drastic improvement on that side of the ball, seems like the same sh*t show we have been seeing for too long. There is going to be a substantial drop off on the offensive side without #12 and as much as I want to see Hundley succeed, it's going to be tough sledding from here on out.

The next 10 games may end up proving what a lot of us have been saying, the Packers are a less than average team without #12. I hope they prove me wrong.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we're up against right now is bad. And we're going to talk about all of those things I'm sure as the days and weeks progress. But if there's only one thread to remain almost ENTIRELY positive, lets put it here.

I'll choose to find a potential scenario where the Packers can still make the playoffs.

Looking ahead, we're definitely not going to be going against the toughest part of our schedule.

We've got:

Saints
BYE WEEK
Lions
@Bears
Ravens
@Steelers
Bucs
@Browns

That would be the exact amount of time that Rodgers sat out with the collar bone injury in 2013. Assuming the recovery time would be the same, those are the games that he will miss.

We currently sit at 4-2. For me, it's trying to figure out where you could potentially have 3 wins to get to 7-6, and hope that Rodgers is back in time to win at least 2 of the last 3 to get to a 9-10 win season. That could be enough to get the division.

The best candidates I have for wins would be:

-Lions (3-3) at home after the bye. Division opponent, so McCarthy will have a lot of time to come up with a plan to attack them. Hopefully we can get somewhat healthy during the bye week and come away with a big win.
- Bears (2-4) on the road. They aren't world beaters. They're trying to get a rookie quarterback acclimated. Again, division opponent. Not a potent offense. Hopefully with a little health on the defense we could hold them to a low number of points.
- Ravens (3-3) at home. I've been concerned about this game, but they aren't a team that can just explode to score a bunch of points.
- Browns (0-6) on the road. Let's hope and pray that we at least have THIS game.

We're going to need for the defense to really start forcing some turnovers, for the offense to find a running game, and for Hundley to settle in and show a comfort and poise level behind center to find a way to win some football games.

Lets all keep this in mind: even though Brett Hundley didn't look like a world beater today, he was going against a really good defense on the road in a hostile environment that made even RODGERS look pedestrian last year in week 2. The next two games are at home. 3 of the next 4. He'll be more comfortable at Lambeau.

I'm not one that thinks all is lost YET, I'm going to try to remain as positive as possible and let this thing play out.

So I encourage everyone to give at least one reason to be optimistic. We'll have plenty of time to lose our minds and be upset over the next several weeks. Let's use this one thread to collectively find even the slightest reasons for optimism.

I think the most positive thing about this devastating injury is that others get a chance to contribute and grow. A team has 53 members and all are important. Aaron is fabulous and part of that is because of the other 10 people on the field doing their jobs correctly. Look, it is over and done. I hope Huntley can get a lot of good experience this year so that we don't go from being fabulous with Rogers to being average without him in future seasons. We've relied to much on his tremendous skill set. Weve been one play away from a huge step down for a long long time with Rogers and Favre. Let Huntley grow and we'll be a better team going forward. Huntley is a Packer, therefore he can do a good enough job for us to win more games this year. Our schedule is much easier the 2nd half. We have the Bears and the Browns so that is 2 automatic wins.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am not using all the injuries as an excuse, but with them, I just don't see the Packers even being able to win many games going forward.

You know that I don't support using injuries as an excuse for a lack of performance but the Packers losing Rodgers is the only one justifying to expect a significant drop-off. Nevertheless I'm still holding out hope the team is somehow able to squeeze out some wins.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the most positive thing about this devastating injury is that others get a chance to contribute and grow.

The Packers were a Super Bowl favorite entering this season. With Rodgers most likely being done for the year that has changed within a heartbeat. There's nothing positive about it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A huge problem right now is not only Rodgers going down, but how many others we have that are also wounded. This next game also looks to be a patchwork of barely recognizable names playing before they are ready. It was unbelievable how many guys went down in just the 2nd and 3rd quarter yesterday. Some locker room leadership is greatly needed at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A huge problem right now is not only Rodgers going down, but how many others we have that are also wounded. This next game also looks to be a patchwork of barely recognizable names playing before they are ready. It was unbelievable how many guys went down in just the 2nd and 3rd quarter yesterday. Some locker room leadership is greatly needed at this point.

It's going to start to feel like Preseason with the guys playing. Of course, we will be seeing mostly starters from the other teams, until they have built a comfortable lead.

If nothing else, this will give Hundley the work he has been needing to either eventually become great trade bait, or JAG we release at the end of his contract. Without the pressure of winning every week, maybe the Packers start trying some new things on defense?

I mentioned it before, but I can't help but think Adams just lost a million or two in his eventual new contract yesterday.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's going to start to feel like Preseason with the guys playing. Of course, we will be seeing mostly starters from the other teams, until they have built a comfortable lead.

If nothing else, this will give Hundley the work he has been needing to either eventually become great trade bait, or JAG we release at the end of his contract. Without the pressure of winning every week, maybe the Packers start trying some new things on defense?

I mentioned it before, but I can't help but think Adams just lost a million or two in his eventual new contract yesterday.
I'm anxious to see how much, if at all, the defensive philosophy is altered due to not being able to rely upon Rodgers being able to throw up 30 on any given week.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm anxious to see how much, if at all, the defensive philosophy is altered due to not being able to rely upon Rodgers being able to throw up 30 on any given week.

Don't hold your breath with the defense and Capers changing. ;)

What is going to suck, is that I think a few years back Rodgers figured out that long sustained drives were more important than quick scores, because it kept our defense off the field for long stretches.

I see lots of 3 and outs and punting with Hundley and that is going to put a lot more pressure and wear and tear on our defense.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`ll confess that I merely saw game highlights, but despite losing, that score in thier house wasn`t THAT bad considering. That`s just my opinion of course.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath with the defense and Capers changing. ;)

What is going to suck, is that I think a few years back Rodgers figured out that long sustained drives were more important than quick scores, because it kept our defense off the field for long stretches.

I see lots of 3 and outs and punting with Hundley and that is going to put a lot more pressure and wear and tear on our defense.

I unfortunately agree. I think the defense is going to get worse now, not better. They're going to be on the field more, get more fatigued, possibly more injured, and more worn down.

I'd love to believe they're going to magically step it up and start carrying the load. But I just don't see it. Remember 2013? Prior to the injury to Rodgers', the defense had performed at a respectable level. After the injury? They folded. Miserably.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I unfortunately agree. I think the defense is going to get worse now, not better. They're going to be on the field more, get more fatigued, possibly more injured, and more worn down.

I'd love to believe they're going to magically step it up and start carrying the load. But I just don't see it. Remember 2013? Prior to the injury to Rodgers', the defense had performed at a respectable level. After the injury? They folded. Miserably.
Maybe the only good thing that will come of this is potentially getting Capers fired. Finally.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts