Steelers 2017 studs and duds

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sacks were bad. But he showed growth from last week. And on those 2 he didn't have a ton of options. Get rid of sooner, but he didn't flush out and back, but when he stepped up there was someone there.

His screen recognition was better. No more double pumping and showing it way too early. He looked better and even after a rough spot 3rd early 4th maybe he came back on a great 70+ yard drive.

It's not going to be enough to save this season unfortunately, but growth is good.
I'll agree with this... but I'm not giving him a "stud" lol.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough game, hard to lose one like that. The team looked a lot better, and Hundley looked a lot more confident. His passer rating was nearly 135, but the QBR takes sacks into consideration, not sure what his QBR was.

Nice to see Rodgers throwing the ball in warmup, even though it looks like it will all be too little too late. It's hard to believe the team is 1-5 now since Rodgers went down.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hope Hundley avoids facebook and anywhere fan comments are posted.
I'm sure just like most pro athletes, they have a pretty thick skin and confidence in themselves, but with technology today, I'm also guessing its pretty hard to avoid the critics. MM stuck with Hundley and didn't waiver, so if this helps Brett in the future, credit MM just as much for not doing what many of us were screaming for.

Reaction score
Studs: Hundley, Adams, Jamaal, Martinez on D

Duds: MM for trying a 57 yard kick instead pinning them deep. That was Desperation in these conditions at that point in the game

The Defense for giving up 31Pts, 28-1st Downs and 472 yards

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet he drove the team down the field to tie the game late. That was big time stuff.

We were never going to win this game. I'm going to choose to look at the positives after this one. If someone would have said before the game that the packers lose by 3 and Hundley completes 65% of his throws, has 3 TDs with a 135 passer rating everyone would have been ecstatic.

I'm as critical of this team as any but damn. Come on.
When we have it ahead or even tied, it gives me a false hope when it isn't a blow out against us.

Get it done and stop teasing us like that, McMoron.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Hundley avoids facebook and anywhere fan comments are posted.
I have a feeling that football players mostly ignore virtual and maybe even regular media.
I think they focus a lot just on themselves and the team to win games and try to keep out as many distractions of fans criticisms as they can.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give Hundley all the credit in the world and maybe just maybe this was the growth game he needed. Not many of us, including myself gave him a snow balls chance in hell to do what he did tonight against the Steelers. Credit MM for a decent game plan, but give Hundley credit for not listening to most of us and the rest of the media who had no confidence in him.
Hundley is the back up.
Not the next up and comer who is going to permanently replace Rodgers.
He is there to win the game. Not just to almost win it and be OK with that.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: Capers. When Hundley leads the team to 28 pts.....you find a way to win the ******** game. His completely non-existant pass rush and poor tackling hurt this team dearly. His soft zone crap on the last drive put them in FG range and gave them all the time in the world. The 2nd play of the drive was atrocious on Capers part. I am done with the wheel of excuses. First its the coaches, then its the talent level , then its how the talent plays.....it just keeps circling around and nothing ever changes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hundley is the back up.
Not the next up and comer who is going to permanently replace Rodgers.
He is there to win the game. Not just to almost win it and be OK with that.

Sad part is, if Hundley puts a few more games like that on his highlight reel, someone will want to pay him $15M. If nothing else, he probably secured his spot as Rodgers backup for 2018.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Rodgers looked a little dejected walking the sidelines after the loss. I wonder what was going through his mind. Considering he's been throwing the ball pretty well, he might have been looking forward to making his return to make a playoff run, which may have just gone up in smoke.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was obvious and should have been called. Had to hear it. That no call may have changed the outcome of the game.
There's no doubt it changed the outcome. We would have had a first down on what, about the 40 yard line? I think we very well could have gotten in Mason's range from there and iced the clock. At worst, we would have gone to OT and who knows what might have happened. But I can guarantee you the Steelers would not have won on a FG in regulation. Friggin' Hochuli needs to be put to pasture.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Rodgers looked a little dejected walking the sidelines after the loss. I wonder what was going through his mind. Considering he's been throwing the ball pretty well, he might have been looking forward to making his return to make a playoff run, which may have just gone up in smoke.

Not yet it hasn't. If we don't win the next two, then yes. Yeah, we need help, but at this point there are still several routes to a wildcard. Seattle and Atlanta both have tough schedules here out and never underestimate Detroit's ability to lose in December. The fat lady is warming up but she still hasn't sung.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

That or he was realizing that his asking price just came down a bit. Prior to tonight's game, the Packers were hopeless without him. After tonight, they are just a bit above that. :D

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: Capers. When Hundley leads the team to 28 pts.....you find a way to win the ******** game. His completely non-existant pass rush and poor tackling hurt this team dearly. His soft zone crap on the last drive put them in FG range and gave them all the time in the world. The 2nd play of the drive was atrocious on Capers part. I am done with the wheel of excuses. First its the coaches, then its the talent level , then its how the talent plays.....it just keeps circling around and nothing ever changes.

Not defending Capers, but your "soft zone" analysis is way off.

One the first play, two Packers were right there by Brown.

On play two, it was a blitz with King in man coverage.

Neither was soft zone.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or he just doing like losing. I bet almost every one on the Packer sideline looks that way.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Studs: the packers in the first three quarters and the NFC
Duds: the packers in the fourth quarter and the AFC

Seriously the AFC is a joke. The Steelers are the best team in that conference (because the Patriots have only beat one good team during a drought (Falcons) and could have lost to the third worst team in the NFC. The AFC should be playing their own league against Europe. I’m sick of watching them.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The FG call by MM was not a good choice. I liked the aggression at the time, but didn't know about the kicking stats at that stadium. That's something they likely knew going in.

Overall, though McCarthy deserves a stud.

This is a game we likely aren't favored to win with Rodgers.

The turn around from last week was huge. Hundley looked like like a legit starter compared to being awful last week. Whatever MM and company did during the week showed.

The Packers were ready to play and played their hearts out. It took a ridiculous Brown catch and record tying FG to prevent OT.

Also, MM saw something on the 4th and 6 that probably saved the game at the time.
Whatever he saw, Hundley didn't, and if MM doesn't catch it, it's game over right there.

It was a poor emotional decision to try the FG but he was more good than bad tonight.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll agree with this... but I'm not giving him a "stud" lol.

Come on he played great, the Steelers have the second best pass rush in the league they were playing at home and we had a stiff at RT which limited our protection options.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not defending Capers, but your "soft zone" analysis is way off.

One the first play, two Packers were right there by Brown.

On play two, it was a blitz with King in man coverage.

Neither was soft zone.

True this criticism is off. However WTF do our corners play so much outside leverage, even when the safeties are deep and outside? Is it Whitt or does Dom just love funneling pass plays into the uncovered vulnerable defensive middle?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That or he was realizing that his asking price just came down a bit. Prior to tonight's game, the Packers were hopeless without him. After tonight, they are just a bit above that. :D

Eh a season in the pooper will be worth it IF we make the right long term adjustments. If McCarthy doesn't sack Capers this offseason he better nut up and say that Thompson sucks at drafting defense, so that he can get his pink slip along with Capers. I'll take a lost season if it means making the kinds of structural changes that will make this team into more than a paper tiger.

Mark my words another DC with a simpler iteration of the 34 defense will make our D look a lot better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts