Steelers 2017 studs and duds

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to think Brice was in the mix, i really like him, but 2 years now he hasn't been able to stay on the field even game to game before eventually ending a season injured. I think he came back for that NFCCG and put himself out on an early kickoff. Maybe the opening one, I can't remember, but he plays in a way his body can't seem to handle. Which is unfortunate. he flies around and isn't afraid of contact.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense taken. That comment was for point of emphasis.

30 years is old for a running back. That's 8 or 9 years of NFL mileage. Few are still around at that point and fewer yet are still productive enough to start. Even without a major injury by that point, which is rare in itself, the cumulative beatings take it out of them. If you get your money's worth out of a second contract running back you're doing well. I'd put 27-28 as the default cut off after which great care should be taken, though that would vary based on performance, injury history and the volume of touches over college and pro careers. But really, how may Petersons or McCoys are there? Few and far between.

I believe other positions need to be looked at closely at the 30 mark, the third contract, with the exception of QBs, and OLs whose knees are intact.

The idea of signing a SS to a 4 year deal who will be 34 at the end of the last season, especially given the missed games that have been racked up over the last 3 seasons, is questionable. You'd need a home team discount.

Perhaps my post was not clear. I do not doubt the 30yr mark for running backs. I just have serious issues that somehow, for some reason, 30 years old has also become a milestone for other positions. As for the 4 year deal that ends at age 34, I don't think that the team needs to make him one of the highest paid safeties in the league but an at-market deal, coupled with the growth of the salary cap, means that the last year or two of that deal really won't be too onerous.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be a bad idea to sign Burnett to a 5 year contract. I think it’s likely the team moves forward with Jones (who I think is the next Burnett and was drafted to replace Burnett), Dix and Brice next year. I expect either a ball hawking free safety to be drafted, picked up in free agency or Randall moved there (which would be coupled with a couple more CB’s to be drafted). That is what I am expecting to see.

For a team that needs a MAJOR defensive talent injection, letting one of your few decent defensive players walk (Burnett) seems like a big step backwards, especially when HaHa has kind of proven this year that he's not exactly a sure thing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like burnett, I think he's our most valuable safety. However longevity seems to be in question with lots of injuries taking him out for games and halves fairly frequently the past season or 2. None of our investements seem to be working out very well lately. Jordy, IR one year, Cobb, big investment, production drops in half. Matthews, forced to move position or injured it seems, Shields, gone. I'd be weary of investing much more in Burnett. I don't know what the going rate for a safety of his age and experience would even be, i'll look more when the time comes, but I'm not sure I'd sign him at that level. he'd have to sign for less than that.

H

HardRightEdge

I think it would be a bad idea to sign Burnett to a 5 year contract. I think it’s likely the team moves forward with Jones (who I think is the next Burnett and was drafted to replace Burnett), Dix and Brice next year. I expect either a ball hawking free safety to be drafted, picked up in free agency or Randall moved there (which would be coupled with a couple more CB’s to be drafted). That is what I am expecting to see.
Waiting for the Randall move to FS has been like waiting for Godot. Now, it's probably too late.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a team that needs a MAJOR defensive talent injection, letting one of your few decent defensive players walk (Burnett) seems like a big step backwards, especially when HaHa has kind of proven this year that he's not exactly a sure thing.

It would but its better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late. Letting go of Burnett and Matthews giant Ks would open up quite a bit of cap space and besides we have good young players behind Burnett and Dix. I Marwin Evans has looked good, Josh Jones is a physical in the box safety and as good as Randall has looked as a nickel corner I think he'd be even better as a free safety. He'd give us our first real centerfielder type since Nick Collins and he has looked very good closing on thrown balls.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I wouldn't mind seeing more of that and I think if you put him in a position where he flowing to the ball in space he might surprise people.

Members online

Latest posts