Snacks Harrison claimed by the Packers

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope I am wrong, but I watched him on a few snaps, meh. Wasn't that impressed, he seemed to get pushed right out of the way on those couple of plays. Still early and time for him to fit in better or maybe I just saw things incorrectly and he was a stud?

I'll be 100% honest, didn't catch more than a few of the snaps and would need to rewatch tape to hold an opinion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think had 12 snaps?

Yup I said that earlier. Most must have come when I wasn't watching or I didn't notice them. Roughly 16% of snaps. I didn't expect much more this first game. I'd suspect against good run teams he'll see upwards of 25-35 a game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'll be 100% honest, didn't catch more than a few of the snaps and would need to rewatch tape to hold an opinion.

Wanted to look at a few things. Watched 10 snaps that Snacks was in....pretty much a non-factor. Maybe the 2 I missed he was a factor?

• Snap 1: 1st Q 11:30 Montgomery Run, Snacks rolls off a block the wrong way to take himself out of the play.
  • Snap 2:Next play. Montgomery run, Snacks moves towards runner, gets blocked and falls down.
  • Snap 3: 3rd Q 9:19 Non-factor on WR bubble screen to right.
  • Snap 4: Next play. 53 yard pass to Mooney. Snacks bit on the fake handoff and took himself out of play.
  • Snap 5: Next play. He was 3rd man in on a Montgomery no gain run.
  • Snap 6: 3rd Q 1:25. Lined up over C on 3rd and 1, got pushed out by RG.
  • Snap 7: Next play, 4th and 1, non-factor on quick screen to right.
  • Snap 8: 1st play of 4th Q. Pass, no pressure, got his hands up.
  • Snap 9: Next play, wildcat formation, run up middle for 4 yards, Snacks pushed out.
  • Snap 10: 4th and 1, non-factor on quick screen to right, incomplete.
Maybe Captain will have a clue where those 2 other snaps took place? One thing of note, on the two 4th and 1's that I saw, he played right over the center and both times they chose to pass the ball. Coincidence?

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that we got Harrison, but he is an aging fat man with questionable motivation and football fitness. I think that he got some get-your-butt-in-shape snaps against Chicago but is likely more of a backup to give the other guys a breather. I clearly don't expect much out of Harrison.

I would also like to address something that I heard on the Packers OT from WTMJ (and somewhere else that I can't remember). The pickup of Harrison has been compared to the 2010 pickup of Howard Green. I get it. However, I've heard multiple times that Green didn't do anything until the Super Bowl play. That's not true. When the Jets cut him and we picked him up in time to play against his former team, he was a big part of the 9-0 win. I remember it being windy and he had a bunch of stuffs, including a forced fumble. Snacks will probably be the same way. He will show some glimmers and hopefully make a few noticeable impacts, but will likely disappear for most of his snaps.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn’t expect him to be a contributor as a pass rush. That isn’t his game.
5 of those 8 plays mentioned were runs. Still too small a sample and first game on the team.. can’t conclude a lot but, he certainly didn’t seem to help much in those situations. We will have to see how it goes in the future.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm sure someone will have a name for the formation(s), but I saw the defense line up quite a bit with just Clarke and Lowery as the only 2 DT's and the Smiths and or Gary flanked on both sides. Lancaster or Snacks came in for a 3 or 4 DT look, with Snacks usually lined up at NT.

Snacks isn't going to crush any Turtle land speed records, nor will he be counted on to get to the QB, I guess we just can hope he eats up space and blockers and allows a nice clean lane for someone else to come in and do their job.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 of those 8 plays mentioned were runs. Still too small a sample and first game on the team.. can’t conclude a lot but, he certainly didn’t seem to help much in those situations. We will have to see how it goes in the future.

I don’t know what down and distance it was, but there was a play where Snacks got good penetration into the gap where Montgomery was going, forcing Montgomery to cut back right into where Z Smith would have been had he not tripped. Montgomery still gained 3-4 yards.

That’s an impact play! He forced the cutback, and had Z not tripped, it’s no gain or maybe a yard.

Yet I don’t see that plays description in the “analysis” above. I’ll try to rewatch later, but there was at least one impact play from Snacks, which I described.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will have a name for the formation(s), but I saw the defense line up quite a bit with just Clarke and Lowery as the only 2 DT's and the Smiths and or Gary flanked on both sides. Lancaster or Snacks came in for a 3 or 4 DT look, with Snacks usually lined up at NT.

Snacks isn't going to crush any Turtle land speed records, nor will he be counted on to get to the QB, I guess we just can hope he eats up space and blockers and allows a nice clean lane for someone else to come in and do their job.

That’s literally his job! That’s what he’s here to do!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a 170 pound senior in HS, I was the center and NT (yeah, we sucked). Middle of the season, I was getting blown backwards 8-10 yards each play. The coach was screaming at me that all I needed to do was fall down to take up space. Those 300lb'ers kept grabbing me before I could drop, and pushing me like a tire. I never started at NT after that game!

Eating up space isn't as easy as it seems.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BJ Raji has made me forever suspicious of the term "eat up space and blockers". I was told this is what he did and every time I'd go back and look at the tape it would show Raji getting manhandled by a single guard while a RB slipped by.

I'm not saying Snacks is the same but Raji was horrifically overrated.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BJ Raji has made me forever suspicious of the term "eat up space and blockers". I was told this is what he did and every time I'd go back and look at the tape it would show Raji getting manhandled by a single guard while a RB slipped by.

I think Raji was pretty good and then he never played the same really. I don't think he had the discipline to and work ethic to stay great, but he certainly had the talent. He seemed like a different player early in his career vs the 2nd half.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

IMO, Raji was never very good at shedding blockers and making tackles in the running game. What he did have is incredibly quick feet for a man of his size. I think he was horribly misused by Capers after the Super Bowl victory. He should have built the defense around Raji in the middle of the defensive line IMO.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough evaluations. He looked like a young star on the rise in 2010 and then never really rose. It's fair to question whether Capers maximized the things he was good at.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing a veteran shows zero faith either direction on what Slaton could and May become. He is a rookie, raw with immense talent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe Snacks is looking for too much money, but there is also probably a reason why the guy isn't on a 53 man roster. That reason is why the Seahawks and Packers didn't keep him around too long, he isn't as good as he once was. Big man, will be 33 in November, I doubt he has much left in his tank and I would rather see the snaps go to Slaton or Keke.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if i'm thin on the line and making a push at the end and Snacks is around, maybe. Sign him now and take snaps away from Slayton? No thank you

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giving up on Slaton already?
Signing a veteran shows zero faith either direction on what Slaton could and May become. He is a rookie, raw with immense talent.

If Snacks would be an upgrade over Slaton then you absolutely sign him (provided the money thing is right.) I understand that it takes snaps away from a rookie with potential but don't you want the best guys you can get on the field? I'm guessing Snacks is nothing close to what he once was and quite possibly would not present an upgrade over Slaton and that, along with money demands possibly, is why he is unemployed right now.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should probably hire one guy to just do in depth research on everybody on any Practice Squad.

Staff online

Members online