1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rodgers vs Bears cover 2

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Dec 28, 2010.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    • Like Like x 2
  2. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +120
    To be quite honest, that article is too in depth for me. I couldn't understand it all. Gimme to me in Laymen's terms.

3. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    A nice TE (Finley) can help...He had over 100 yards the 1st meeting

Rodgers needs to be patient..Dont force things down the field just to force..Gary Ellerson from wssp 1250 Milwaukee has said that Rodgers has issues with this type of defense in the past..Not sure who he has really faced, but with the Bears he hasnt busted out yet

MM needs to call plays to take advantage of the short passing game ( screens? )

Maybe Jennings has the speed to beat this?? But Rodgers needs the time to get it to him

4. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    Rodgers won't see the long balls the Giants gave him early. The key will be to work the under routes and force the safeties to creep in. IF we can get a running game going it will open up the deep ball which we excel at.
    I expect alot to Driver, Quarless and BJax early to open up Jennings go or come back.
    Here's where I like Jordy Nelson alot, the X and Y opens the middle while he runs right by Urlacher.
    I'm praying to see a Starks screen at some point.

5. Texpackerfan

Texpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    I heard on 1250 (maybe it was LeRoy Butler) that the main thing that could prevent the Packers from making the Super Bowl was cover 2.

6. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    Rodgers has already dissected their cover 2 once this year. No reason to think he can't do it again, even better this time.

First meeting: 34/45 316 yds The rest of the team blew this game with penalties and fumbles.

7. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +298
    Don't Lions run a Cover 2 Scheme?

8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I don't know if the Cover-2 is still like the Tampa-2, or if the Bucs and Bears play a similar defense still, but Rodgers has had 2 bad games, both losses, to Tampa Bay, one in 2008 and one in 2009.

But he carved up the Bears early this year, had a TD to Finley taken away by the corrupt ref, and he had James Jones fumble away the win.

The Bears won't be mentally 100% into this game now that they already have the #2 seed locked up.

As long as the refs don't once again bang us, we will roll big, and head into Philly en fuego !

9. Grave

Grave Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +81
    ARod has also nicely cut up the Queens Cover 2. Even in 2009 when he had little protection he was 26/37 for 384 and 2 tds against them in one of those Queenie games.

:viksux::chisux:

10. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I don't think screens are the way to go against the cover 2. The CBs play too close to the LOS, and the OLBs stay close too, and the S won't get caught out of position, so it's a hard way to beat them that way.

Of course, the Bears don't play exclusively cover 2. When they send pressure, and they will, specially on 2nd down, it's a great play.

The best play for Rodgers specifically is the 4 deep. The deep ball is Rodgers' best throw, the way he does it, only the WR can get the ball.

The receivers need to be in sync, though. Don't remember which game it was this year, but when they're not, it's ugly and will end in ints.

But, with their pressure, it needs to be used sparsely. They'll probably harass Rodgers with just 4 rushers, so most of the time he won't have time to work deep.

Sending the TE or the slot deep in the middle and working the RB in the check down will be crucial for us to win this game.

So, to summarize and plagiarize Matt Bowen, here are the key factors on our offense, IMHO:

1) The TE going deep in the middle and working the RB in the checkdown void left by the MLB.
    2) The 7/flat routes (the inside receivers run a flat route, and the outside receivers run either a deep out, a deep in or a go, depending on the safeties' alignment.
    3) The PA pass working, with the running game working just enough so that the LBs bite, and there's room behind them.
    4) The 4 deep play.

11. SCpackerfan

SCpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    Just played an online match of Madden, Pack vs Bears. Rodgers was 31/38 363 yds 3 TDs 1int. Jackson had 4 receptions for 98 yds and 2 TDs (all screen passes). Oh yeah, and Shields returned 2 kickoffs for TDs. I hope this is what the real thing will look like. haha.

12. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    To my way of thinking the Bears linebackers are better at stopping the run than the pass so I'd run Quarles down the middle of the field all day until the Bears broke up a pass. I think Quarles is like Finley in that you CAN'T cover him with a corner or safety so it'll have to be Briggs or Urlacher more than likely.

13. Justanobserver

Justanobserver Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    Lovie's Cover2 is like a glorified prevent. I think the defense is lame personally. They try to make you work for everything and give up the underneath. I guess the idea is that on long drives the chances for an offensive mistake increase.Fumbles, interceptions, bad throws are what they play for. Sanchez exposed that D last Sunday. Rodgers should have a field day. I don't think Lovie is flexible in that D. What you see is what you get. Essentially they are saying beat us we will not scheme differently. The Bears can't win shootouts every week. They just aren't built that way.

14. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    isnt the main weakness to cover 2 deep middle? do i hear a greg jennings td?

15. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483

this

16. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483

Yup Jennings should have 2 TDs