Packers Vikings Wild card weekend 2012 round 3

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude what if it is a 31-10 blowout. Can I giggle like a little schoolgirl?
Here's what's interesting to me: Last year's first game in Minny in week 7, Ponder made his first ever start and he impressed the heck out of me. I recall him making some perfect throws right as Matthews was about to tattoo him in the mouth hard. We barely won, 33-27, which was our closest win of the season until that 3-point win at the Giants in December to put us at 12-0.

But when we played the Vikings again in week 10, with a still healthy Adrian Peterson (and I think Percy Harvin as well), we were all over him, them, Peterson, and we clobbered the **** out of them, winning 45-7 on primetime ESPN.

45-7. Just last year.
Aside from Peterson tearing his ACL and MCL since then, and Harvin being gone, why has it gotten to the point where we barely beat them here 5 weeks ago, and did lose last week?

Desmond Bishop must be more valuable than even I realized.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Here's what's interesting to me: Last year's first game in Minny in week 7, Ponder made his first ever start and he impressed the heck out of me. I recall him making some perfect throws right as Matthews was about to tattoo him in the mouth hard. We barely won, 33-27, which was our closest win of the season until that 3-point win at the Giants in December to put us at 12-0.

But when we played the Vikings again in week 10, with a still healthy Adrian Peterson (and I think Percy Harvin as well), we were all over him, them, Peterson, and we clobbered the **** out of them, winning 45-7 on primetime ESPN.

45-7. Just last year.
Aside from Peterson tearing his ACL and MCL since then, and Harvin being gone, why has it gotten to the point where we barely beat them here 5 weeks ago, and did lose last week?

Desmond Bishop must be more valuable than even I realized.
It's not like the Vikngs have been stagnant in bringing in new players. Out of the 22 starters this year I believe 5 of them are rookies. At least I know 5 rookies are getting significant playing time. And one good player can make a difference. Just look what happened last weekend when Winfield left at the half. All of sudden the Packers found there passing game. Last year in the 45-7 beat-down the Vikings didn't have Winfield, Cook was out and Smith wasn't even on the roster. So a few players can make a difference.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what is HILARIOUS about that? The 2005 Draft.

1. San Francisco 49ers - Alex Smith*, QB Utah
2. Miami Dolphins - Ronnie Brown, RB Auburn
3. Cleveland Browns - Braylon Edwards, WR Michigan
4. Chicago Bears - Cedric Benson, RB Texas
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Carnell Williams, RB Auburn
6. Tennessee Titans - Adam Jones*, CB West Virginia
7. Minnesota Vikings (from Oakland) - Troy Williamson*, WR South Carolina
8. Arizona Cardinals - Antrel Rolle, CB Miami (Fla)
9. Washington Redskins - Carlos Rogers, CB Auburn
10. Detroit Lions - Mike Williams*, WR USC
11. Dallas Cowboys - Demarcus Ware*, DE/OLB Troy State
12. San Diego Chargers (from NY Giants) - Shawne Merriman*, DE/OLB Maryland
13. New Orleans Saints (from Houston)- Jamaal Brown, OT Oklahoma
14. Carolina Panthers - Thomas Davis*, S/OLB Georgia
15. Kansas City Chiefs - Derrick Johnson, LB Texas
16. Houston Texans (from New Orleans) - Travis Johnson, DT Florida State
17. Cincinnati Bengals - David Pollack, DE Georgia
18. Minnesota - Erasmus James, DE Wisconsin
19. St. Louis Rams - Alex Barron, OT Florida State
20. Dallas Cowboys (from Buffalo) - Marcus Spears, DE LSU
21. Jacksonville Jaguars - Matt Jones, QB Arkansas
22. Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton, WR Oklahoma
23. Oakland Raiders (from Seattle) - Fabian Washington*, CB Nebraska
24. Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rogers, QB California

Can u imagine who was running the show in Jacksonville? See pick #21. Wow.

Wow the queens could have Ware and Rodgers:eek: Detroit or chicago to. Double:eek::eek:. Crazy how things play out sometimes as Williams and James are both out of the league.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our preview from both a Packers and Vikings perspective. Predictably, we are both riding our own squads: http://wp.me/p29VCs-eo

I've got Packers 34 Vikings 23. I think the most important part heading into the game is the health of the Vikings secondary (a nice change to be looking at an opponent's health rather than ours). If Winfield and Smith are out and/or severely limited, the offense will keep churning out points like the second half of last week. Our run game has had success in two games against the Vikes and will keep them somewhat honest. And there is no way our defense lays another egg like last week. Not to mention, the Vikes had its fair share of breaks. AP will do what AP does, but Ponder will revert back to Mr. Steele.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. In 2005 the Vikings had Culepper at QB so it was not a pressing issue with the team at the time. And Williamson was considered a good pick by many in the league. No one knew his hand would turn to stone once drafted.

Same thing with the Pack. We had favre who ended up playing 5 more yrs.... Lol

How are those picks working out for u guys?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3rd & 7.
3rd & 11.
3rd & 7.

In the first quarter last week, Christian Ponder converted on all of those, just in the first damn quarter.

It's not easy to pick up 3rd & longs..... the defense pretty much knows you're going to pass. And usually a pass rush comes. It didn't for us, because it seems only Clay Matthews right now has the intensity, will, and desire to get to the QB.
Contrast that to our 1st quarter. We went 3 & out both times to start the game.... while they marched and converted, and scored. That's why we fell down 13-0 early.

Capers is probably going to dial up more pressure, as we fans want. But with that comes some risk of hitting us with some screens against massive blitzes. And unlike our run blocking on screens, we've seen teams like the Vikings execute their blocks downfield on screens and lead to big plays. We saw one to Toby Gerhart Sunday on us.

Not to mention the game-wnning drive where Ponder had another 3rd & 11 that he picked up throwing it over Casey Hayward.

We need Eric Walden to have a big game rushing the passer on 3rd downs. If not him, Dezman Moses.
I miss Nick Perry. He was a load to handle for some OTs, and all RBs trying to pick him up. Why couldn't we just put a club on his hand and let him come back by now?

http://packersinsider.com/?p=5087
Defense has to get off the field!

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to start off fast and score early so they are forced to play from behind and throw more.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Capers knows more about defense than anyone else around here. How many times does Peterson get stuffed up the middle, bounce off and take off around the edge? Who's responsible for the outside? I'm assuming this is what Capers is talking about.
Who's responsible for the corner? ;) Think about it

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Capers should learn how to disguise 14 men on the field!!!! Even if that happened we would get ran over an that's not due to capers it's do to the fact that a 195 pound corner cannot tackle a freak of purple nature.

Airin' Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to come down to grit and effort when it comes down o stopping AP. I'm not really worried about the schemes tbh

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Boykin, Jarrett WR Ankle DNP DNP DNP Out
Cobb, Randall WR Ankle LP FP FP probable
Finley, Jermichael TE Quadricep LP FP FP probable
Green, Alex RB Knee FP FP FP probable
House, Davon CB Hip LP FP FP probable
Nelson, Jordy WR Knee LP FP FP probable
Starks, James RB Knee LP LP LP questionable
Williams, Tramon CB Illness - DNP LP probable
Woodson, Charles DB Collarbone FP FP FP probable