Packers Vikings Wild card weekend 2012 round 3

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like what StyleZ said, I really think the only way he'll be stopped is if we score quick on them Saturday...make them play catch up!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having our secondary actually show up would be good. Plus a pass rush.

I hope Randall Cobb is ready to play next week. Having him on the field with a rejuvenated Finley and Jennings along with Nelson and Jones will be just what the doctor ordered.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see the upcoming WC game is this: They've been showing that stupid commercial about how bad a taste last year's defeat to the Giants left in their mouths and how much they wanted to come back and redeem themselves.

Well now it's time. Packers had better show up mean and hungry next week.

And I'm sick of that commercial btw. Don't you just know they'll show it every other time-out next week.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of those teams probably had a lead, which forced the Vikings to change their game plan and pass more. It is not good to be down 13 - 0 to a team like that... We have got to get out of the terrible habit of starting games slow.

My post in the how to stop AP

We need to score early and often and force them to throw

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
My post in the how to stop AP

We need to score early and often and force them to throw
You don't have to stop Peterson, you have to contain him. To win you have to stop Ponder. Make him make mistakes. If Peterson makes a mistake it just makes him try that much harder. ie: the run after the non-fumble. Ponder is the the one wild card on the Vikings at this point. Stop him, make him have a bad day. Peterson will get his yards regardless. But I doubt he will beat the Packers by himself.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Here are the tackle stats from our LBs:

Jones: 3 solo, 2 assist​
Hawk: 4 solo, 0 assist​
Walden: 2 solo, 2 assist​
Matthews: 3 solo, 0 assist​
Francois and Lattimore had one each, but I believe those were ST tackles​
One of those was a sack. Some few were in coverage.​
How does a 3-4 D, taking on 35 runs from the TB position, log just 16 total tackles?​
This was reminiscent of a couple games last season where our top 4 tacklers were in the D backfield.​
That's an easy one. 2 lead blockers to seal the LB on an outside run to force the secondary to make the tackles.

txj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can't get the job done next week something needs to be done in the off season. The lack of adjustments made during games is extremely frustrating.

U can say that again! Two years down the road and still struggling...

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont consider balls being tipped to be a sleepwalking offense

I consider a tipped ball the offense not getting the job done. Now you can call it whatever you want. Anyway how do you even know the passes would have been complete? The offense didn't seem to be ready to play at the beginning.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense had a bad game is all. Shields, Burnett, Hayward, and Williams have all made big plays for us this year, they just need to execute better in coverage. Capers cant do it for them. 34 points should have been enough to win the game against Minnesota.

I agree with Raptorman that you dont stop AP, you contain him. Hes going to get his yards. Ponder won the game for them with a couple of clutch plays.

If you have a defense called with a 3 man rush and max cover, the coverage has to be there then. Thats what didnt happen, we didnt cover, or tackle worth a darn. I would be very surprised if this happens the same way again this Saturday. The film is going to be ugly for the secondary.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense had a bad game is all. Shields, Burnett, Hayward, and Williams have all made big plays for us this year, they just need to execute better in coverage. Capers cant do it for them. 34 points should have been enough to win the game against Minnesota.

I agree with Raptorman that you dont stop AP, you contain him. Hes going to get his yards. Ponder won the game for them with a couple of clutch plays.

If you have a defense called with a 3 man rush and max cover, the coverage has to be there then. Thats what didnt happen, we didnt cover, or tackle worth a darn. I would be very surprised if this happens the same way again this Saturday. The film is going to be ugly for the secondary.
You have to focus 100% on stopping Peterson. So many times I saw the fake drop-back, then quick draw handoff to Peterson and it worked. You can't buy that. You have to always always keep focused on Peterson period, even if they fake it to him. He's the man.

How the hell did we NOT COVER him on that & goal play where he caught the TD wide open? You forget about him? Stupid.
I think it was Brad Jones, who once again, is not a natural INSIDE linebacker.

Where's Terrell Manning? This guy was taken in the draft, I think we traded UP again to get him. He was supposed to be a steal and a natural INSIDER linebacker.

We have to attack Peterson next week like we did to Barry Sanders that one playoff game where we totally snuffed him all game long. He had had monster games against us before, but the old man Fritz Shurmer had the 100% focus on stopping #20..... we can do that now. But our DBs will be in man-coverage with no help and they have to not get deep.
Tons of run blitzes.... which will also smother and rush Ponder if he fakes the handoffs. Pressure that guy and he will look like.... Jake Locker.

Airin' Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no way in hell Ponder pulls off a performance like that again. Sell out on the run and make Ponder beat you again, I am a firm believer that he can't do that in back to back weeks...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I consider a tipped ball the offense not getting the job done. Now you can call it whatever you want. Anyway how do you even know the passes would have been complete? The offense didn't seem to be ready to play at the beginning.

and how do you know it wouldnt been a TD?

They were tipped so how can you say they werent ready to play?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to focus 100% on stopping Peterson. So many times I saw the fake drop-back, then quick draw handoff to Peterson and it worked. You can't buy that. You have to always always keep focused on Peterson period, even if they fake it to him. He's the man.

How the hell did we NOT COVER him on that & goal play where he caught the TD wide open? You forget about him? Stupid.
I think it was Brad Jones, who once again, is not a natural INSIDE linebacker.

Where's Terrell Manning? This guy was taken in the draft, I think we traded UP again to get him. He was supposed to be a steal and a natural INSIDER linebacker.

We have to attack Peterson next week like we did to Barry Sanders that one playoff game where we totally snuffed him all game long. He had had monster games against us before, but the old man Fritz Shurmer had the 100% focus on stopping #20..... we can do that now. But our DBs will be in man-coverage with no help and they have to not get deep.
Tons of run blitzes.... which will also smother and rush Ponder if he fakes the handoffs. Pressure that guy and he will look like.... Jake Locker.

I've been wondering about this too. We haven't heard any news on this guy other than his illness in TC. He's been on ST and that's it.

People on here are fond of saying that it's not Dom Capers doing the tackling, but I have to be honest: this defense is very inconsistent. Capers' use of the prevent was a disaster. Yet he keeps using it. It was obvious to me that the DBs don't know their assignments well enough which is why the Vikings' receiver was left wide open on that crucial 3rd-and-11. That's the problem with the prevent--the defense doesn't play it enough to do it effectively.

Some of it is personnel. Our LB core is decimated. Walden is out of gas and Brad Jones is no Desmond Bishop. Neither of our top 2 rookies Perry nor Worthy developed enough during the season to make a real impact, Perry due to injury. But this defense is soft, it has been soft, and part of that is practicing and leadership.

I just can't have much confidence in this defense, which is why I'm skeptical about us going very far in the playoffs. With this defense, how can anyone be confident that we're going to beat the Vikings on Saturday?

Here's a contrast: Houston did everything to stop the run and held AP to 85 yards. The difference between the two defenses is dramatic. Houston tackles 10x better than we do. They are tough, yes they take too many chances and get burned sometimes, but they have a hard-nosed mentality and it shows.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tackle tackle tackle. That's what we have to do better. In 2 games AD has run for over 400 yards on us. That's not acceptable. I'm thinking we need to draft another big man like Gilbert Brown to work beside Raji.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Behind Jamari Lattimore on the depth chart. Remember how I said he was a mistake when we drafted him? Remember how he was supposedly one of the better LB and nobody could believe how far he fell? Remember how Mike Brewster went undrafted, then started at Guard for the Jags?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Behind Jamari Lattimore on the depth chart. Remember how I said he was a mistake when we drafted him? Remember how he was supposedly one of the better LB and nobody could believe how far he fell? Remember how Mike Brewster went undrafted, then started at Guard for the Jags?

In all fairness to Terrel Manning, he was diagnosed with a nasty gastrointestinal illness, colitis I believe, in TC which caused him to lose something like 20 pounds. He recovered but I don't think he gained back the weight and was able to practice full out until the season was already underway.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of those teams probably had a lead, which forced the Vikings to change their game plan and pass more. It is not good to be down 13 - 0 to a team like that... We have got to get out of the terrible habit of starting games slow.

Team/w/l stats

Jax/won 26-23 in ot /17 carries 89 yards 4.9 and 2 td

Colts/lost 20-23 /16 carries 60 yards 3.8 and no tds

Niners/won 24-13 /25 carries 86 yards 3.4 no tds
Lions/won 20-13 /21 carries 102 yards 4.9 no tds
Tenn/won 30-7 /17 carries 88 yards 5.2 and no tds

Washington/ lost 26-38 /17 carries 79 yards 4.6 and no tds

Cards/won 21-14 /23 carries 153 yards 6.7 and 1 td

Bucs/lost 17-36 / 15 carries 123 yards 8.2 and 1 td
Seattle/lost 20-30 /17 carries 182 yards 10.7 yards and 2 tds

Lions/won 34-24 /27 carries 171 yards 6.3 and 1 td

Bears/lost 10-28 /18 carries 108 yards 6.0 and no tds
Pack/lost 14-23 /21 carries 210 yards 10.0 and 1 td

Bears/won 21-14 /31 carries 154 yards 5.0 and 2 tds
Rams/won 36-22 /24 carries 212 yards 8.8 and 1 td
Houston/won 23-6 /25 carries 86 yards 3.4 and no tds
Pack/won 37-34 /34 carries 199 yards 5.9 and 1 td

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and how do you know it wouldnt been a TD?

They were tipped so how can you say they werent ready to play?

It's my opinion they started slow. Lot's of others have said the same thing. Proof is they went three and out too often at the start.

Offensive Line allowed the tip balls didn't they?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts