Packers Vikings Wild card weekend 2012 round 3

12theTruth

Burning question... Who does Brett Favre root for next week?

Despite the Vikings momentum I think the Packers should be able to take care of the Vikes in round 2 next week. Not nearly as confident though as I used to be.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do we ramp up our run defense?
We should have been focused on stopping Peterson, yet he still got 199.
Despite that, we made Ponder look better than he ever has at the same time.

The thing is, I know you can't pin your ears back and go after Ponder reckless because they have Peterson, and Ponder can run.
But we allowed him 6 3rd & long pass completions when we knew he was going to have to throw..... he can't do that.

We had too many 3-man rushes on those and even a poor QB can be calm with no rush.

Hopefully Chuck is back and he can jump a route or two.....

Sam Shields had decent coverage on that one bomb to Wright. That was a perfect throw, amazing, by Ponder.

Our 12-game winning streak vs this division hit a speed bump.
If we lose next week....... McCarthy will lose his hair... would be 2 straight 1 & dones, both at home.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If they can't get the job done next week something needs to be done in the off season. The lack of adjustments made during games is extremely frustrating.

I hear this all the time..Yet I am pretty sure that regular fans have no idea what adjustments they did

I heard Marshall Faulk state on NFLN that CAPERS (he specifically named him) did everything to stop AP..He went on to name schemes..and said that nothing worked..

So what would you have done differently?

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think we just didn't execute. But uhhh, that 3 man rush stuff is garbage.. and I have seen Capers do it sooooo many times now, and have seen it fail soooo many times.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear this all the time..Yet I am pretty sure that regular fans have no idea what adjustments they did

I heard Marshall Faulk state on NFLN that CAPERS (he specifically named him) did everything to stop AP..He went on to name schemes..and said that nothing worked..

So what would you have done differently?

If they made adjustments during the 1st half at all I couldn't really tell. I don't nearly have enough football knowledge to know exactly what would work but I do wish the Packers would blitz more guys sometimes. I miss seeing the psycho package. Also not a huge fan of zone and when they went into prevent defense on a 3rd and 11 I definitely would have been playing man and blitzing the LBs and maybe a Safety..I dont remember how many guys they had lined up. Just my opinion.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If they made adjustments during the 1st half at all I couldn't really tell. I don't nearly have enough football knowledge to know exactly what would work but I do wish the Packers would blitz more guys sometimes. I miss seeing the psycho package. Also not a huge fan of zone and when they went into prevent defense on a 3rd and 11 I definitely would have been playing man and blitzing the LBs and maybe a Safety..I dont remember how many guys they had lined up. Just my opinion.

One play where AP got 29 yards on a 2nd and 28 they had 9 guys in the box..9 players!!!! So please when someone says Dom isnt doing a good job thats BS...Its the players not being able to tackle him

Our pathetic defense stopped Adrain Foster, and Chris Johnson..So we know they can do it and that "Capers" can scheme right..

My theory is that AP is just so damn good that it is hard to stop...IE back shoulder throw from Rodgers to any WR

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One play where AP got 29 yards on a 2nd and 28 they had 9 guys in the box..9 players!!!! So please when someone says Dom isnt doing a good job thats BS...Its the players not being able to tackle him

Our pathetic defense stopped Adrain Foster, and Chris Johnson..So we know they can do it and that "Capers" can scheme right..

My theory is that AP is just so damn good that it is hard to stop...IE back shoulder throw from Rodgers to any WR

Doesn't help we have guys running away from him either

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Burning question... Who does Brett Favre root for next week?

Despite the Vikings momentum I think the Packers should be able to take care of the Vikes in round 2 next week. Not nearly as confident though as I used to be.
Who cares? Some idiot on the Vikings forum asked the same damn thing about today's game. Who cares? Really.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Peterson has averaged 123 yards per game with a 23 carry average, against Capers defense the last 4 years. 5.3 yards per carry.

H

HardRightEdge

Here are the tackle stats from our LBs:

Jones: 3 solo, 2 assist
Hawk: 4 solo, 0 assist
Walden: 2 solo, 2 assist
Matthews: 3 solo, 0 assist

Francois and Lattimore had one each, but I believe those were ST tackles

One of those was a sack. Some few were in coverage.

How does a 3-4 D, taking on 35 runs from the TB position, log just 16 total tackles?

This was reminiscent of a couple games last season where our top 4 tacklers were in the D backfield.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Our inside backers aren't very good. I wish Bishop was playing.. At what point do we try to upgrade Hawk? He has a few decent games here and there, but he just doesn't have "it"..

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson had 8 games were he had less than 125 yards. 6 games under 100 yards. What those teams do to slow him down. What can take and work them into our game plan. My guess is first contact grabbed on to legs shirt anything slow him down... the next guy helps bring him down. You go at him low, my 2 cents. We need to get hits on Ponder.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Peterson had 8 games were he had less than 125 yards. 6 games under 100 yards. What those teams do to slow him down.

A lot of those teams probably had a lead, which forced the Vikings to change their game plan and pass more. It is not good to be down 13 - 0 to a team like that... We have got to get out of the terrible habit of starting games slow.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson had 8 games were he had less than 125 yards. 6 games under 100 yards. What those teams do to slow him down. What can take and work them into our game plan. My guess is first contact grabbed on to legs shirt anything slow him down... the next guy helps bring him down. You go at him low, my 2 cents. We need to get hits on Ponder.

Hitting AP at the LOS and forcing him sideways, then a lot of LB pursuit. The Packers did the 1st one fairly well. The second they did hardly at all. Once AP changed direction he pretty much ran by the containment.

Plus our secondary was awful at tackling. Burnett, Williams...just awful.

Members online

Latest posts