Official Studs n duds Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
While I wouldn't put it past Rodgers to do that, 42 seconds and no timeouts, moves it from Easy to Difficult.

I also agree with gopkers that the Ravens had all the momentum, as well as being at home, if I am Harbaugh, I am taking my chances and tying up the game.

For those who haven't heard it yet, Harbaugh was wired during the game and here is some insight into the decision to go for 2.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The Packers still had a timeout. And Rodgers went 37 seconds with zero timeouts against the 49ers in week 3.

Can't give the master that much time especially with a timeout in his back pocket.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a Christmas gift to Packers.
Certainly how I was feeling. As soon as they scored my first thought was "Great, tie game and probably not enough time to get into FG range" and I wasn't liking our chances in OT that much. Oddly enough I felt a big sense of relief when they dialed up the 2pt call.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I wouldn't put it past Rodgers to do that, 42 seconds and no timeouts, moves it from Easy to Difficult.

I also agree with gopkers that the Ravens had all the momentum, as well as being at home, if I am Harbaugh, I am taking my chances and tying up the game.

For those who haven't heard it yet, Harbaugh was wired during the game and here is some insight into the decision to go for 2.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Can't believe Harbaugh is asking for his player's advice.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers still had a timeout. And Rodgers went 37 seconds with zero timeouts against the 49ers in week 3.

Can't give the master that much time especially with a timeout in his back pocket.
Not to bring up a sore subject but they could have had all three time outs. He called 2 in the first 6 minutes or so of the 4th quarter.

I'm just sayin. :D

Sorry I didn't mean to interrupt. Please continue.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the thought there is if they tie the game they give the ball back to Rodgers with 42 seconds left. They could easily move into FG range. If they get the two points they go up one and put the pressure on to have to get the FG and not necessarily rely on getting to overtime if a score isn't made.
There would have been fewer seconds left if, as I think they would have, they kicked it to the 5. And if The Pack had to have a field goal or not; I don't think that makes any difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I stand corrected, you are right, we did have a TO left. I'm still kicking the XP if I am the Ravens. Since in either case, if you are successful, you still have to stop that Master. The Ravens had their own Master on the sidelines....Justin Tucker. Lifetime he is 99% on his XP's and 91% on FG's.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the time and Crosby being very bad this year, I would have not went for two. Honestly, not even had given it a thought really.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Not to bring up a sore subject but they could have had all three time outs. He called 2 in the first 6 minutes or so of the 4th quarter.

I'm just sayin. :D

Sorry I didn't mean to interrupt. Please continue.
Didn't cost them the game did it?

Krabs

Reaction score
With the time and Crosby being very bad this year, I would have not went for two. Honestly, not even had given it a thought really.
I'm not saying I would have gone for it. Just giving a thought of what the Ravens might have been thinking. I kick the extra point every time in that situation.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't cost them the game did it?
You jumped into the middle of the discussion as to a theoretical game if Ravens had tied or went ahead after their last TD. Rodgers would've needed to drive for a game winning field goal and would have had a better chance with more TOs.

Reaction score
I agree. Someone (Phil Simms?) mentioned the 2 point play should’ve been tried on the TD series prior to that one.
Had Baltimore missed the 2pt play on the previous drive? They would still have had a 2nd chance to Tie with a 2pt play or line up Tucker for the death blow.

They were playing from behind so that final 6 point TD was needed either way and imo he’s correct in that situation (beyond about mid 4th quarter range). It was 4:39 in the 4th on the previous score

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought at the time going for 2pt conversion was fairly good chance at a converting, and their best chance of winning. I don't fault Harbaugh.

By the way, another Joe Buck dud moment. He called Raven WR the fastest guy on the field. The guy covering him, Eric Stokes ran a 4.25 40 whereas Brown ran a 4.32. Wouldn't hurt you Buck, to do a little research on the Packers.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I stand corrected, you are right, we did have a TO left. I'm still kicking the XP if I am the Ravens. Since in either case, if you are successful, you still have to stop that Master. The Ravens had their own Master on the sidelines....Justin Tucker. Lifetime he is 99% on his XP's and 91% on FG's.
What I will say though is that even if the Ravens convert, you give Rodgers 40+ seconds with a timeout only needing 40-50 yards for the win. If they kick the extra point, it's likely that Rodgers and LaFleur play it conservative and take their chances in OT as opposed to risking a turnover.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought at the time going for 2pt conversion was fairly good chance at a converting, and their best chance of winning. I don't fault Harbaugh.

By the way, another Joe Buck dud moment. He called Raven WR the fastest guy on the field. The guy covering him, Eric Stokes ran a 4.25 40 whereas Brown ran a 4.32. Wouldn't hurt you Buck, to do a little research on the Packers.

Brown did not do any official times due to his injury at time, and Stokes did not run that fast officially. He ran 4.31 and Brown is assumed sub 4.3. Stokes to me is vastly more impressive due to his size vs Brown and going that fast. Both are speed kings

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Someone (Phil Simms?) mentioned the 2 point play should’ve been tried on the TD series prior to that one.
Had Baltimore missed the 2pt play on the previous drive? They would still have had a 2nd chance to Tie with a 2pt play or line up Tucker for the death blow.

They were playing from behind so that final 6 point TD was needed either way and imo he’s correct in that situation (beyond about mid 4th quarter range). It was 4:39 in the 4th on the previous score
I have heard this discussed also. As Harbaugh being miked up proves he did not know if he was going for the win when they scored the previous TD. Heck he didn't know for sure after scoring the second TD. All of the players votes had not been counted yet.

Reaction score
I have heard this discussed also. As Harbaugh being miked up proves he did not know if he was going for the win when they scored the previous TD. Heck he didn't know for sure after scoring the second TD. All of the players votes had not been counted yet.
He still doesn’t know!

Neither do I! :roflmao:

Krabs

Reaction score
You jumped into the middle of the discussion as to a theoretical game if Ravens had tied or went ahead after their last TD. Rodgers would've needed to drive for a game winning field goal and would have had a better chance with more TOs.
Possibly, he didn't need them against the 49ers though. Reality is, no one can name a game where Rodgers burning timeouts to avoid delay of game penalties cost them a game.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly, he didn't need them against the 49ers though. Reality is, no one can name a game where Rodgers burning timeouts to avoid delay of game penalties cost them a game.
For me, the reality is that it is just sloppy. Bad fundamental and more care and thought should be taken. He should know before getting to the line if it is worth calling a time out if the play clock goes down.

Krabs

Reaction score
For me, the reality is that it is just sloppy. Bad fundamental and more care and thought should be taken. He should know before getting to the line if it is worth calling a time out if the play clock goes down.
I disagree. If he looks at the defense and sees a mismatch and needs to make adjustments to exploit it then he will need the time to do that. On some plays he just runs out of time making those adjustments. That is all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I disagree. If he looks at the defense and sees a mismatch and needs to make adjustments to exploit it then he will need the time to do that. On some plays he just runs out of time making those adjustments. That is all.
I have decided that you have to take the bad with the good. Yes, Rodgers could try to speed things up a bit and possibly put himself into a position where he doesn't have to burn a timeout on 3rd/4th down because he cut it too close. However, if he thinks the benefit of burning a TO at that moment is good, I have to respect his judgement. Rodgers bread and butter is his ability to read a defense and audible and that takes time. For every one of those TO's he burns, he probably has had 10+ plays that he took the play clock down to 1 or 0, doing what he does well, just as the ball was finally snapped.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have decided that you have to take the bad with the good. Yes, Rodgers could try to speed things up a bit and possibly put himself into a position where he doesn't have to burn a timeout on 3rd/4th down because he cut it too close. However, if he thinks the benefit of burning a TO at that moment is good, I have to respect his judgement. Rodgers bread and butter is his ability to read a defense and audible and that takes time. For every one of those TO's he burns, he probably has had 10+ plays that he took the play clock down to 1 or 0 just as the ball was finally snapped.
I think he is on autopilot and just has it in his mind to call a timeout and save five yards w/o actually having given it thought beforehand.

Reaction score
I have decided that you have to take the bad with the good. Yes, Rodgers could try to speed things up a bit and possibly put himself into a position where he doesn't have to burn a timeout on 3rd/4th down because he cut it too close. However, if he thinks the benefit of burning a TO at that moment is good, I have to respect his judgement. Rodgers bread and butter is his ability to read a defense and audible and that takes time. For every one of those TO's he burns, he probably has had 10+ plays that he took the play clock down to 1 or 0 just as the ball was finally snapped.
Yes. We’re winning these games. That’s objective #1.
Would any person in here want to play those games over and get our timeouts back and try again to see if it works better?

I understand the dialogue more on false starts, lining up improperly or anything that backs us up field position wise. But I trust that our use of Timeouts has as much to do with 5 newer OL and #12 not wanting to get murdered on National TV. Frankly, I’m quite surprised we don’t use them all in the first quarter.
The only TO I’m even remotely concerned with is holding 1 for our FG unit each half.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think he is on autopilot and just has it in his mind to call a timeout and save five yards w/o actually having given it thought beforehand.
Yes and that is taking the bad with the good part that I was referring too. There are definitely times were I think taking the delay of game would have been a smarter move. Maybe by the time he hits 40, he will have this part of his game down to an exact science. :)

Would any person in here want to play those games over and get our timeouts back and try again to see if it works better?

Spot on. As much as I was wishing we had the 2 TO's he burned during the 2nd half of the Raven game back, we ended up not needing them. Maybe in burning those 2 TO's, he changed the course of the game in our favor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts