Official Studs n duds Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt Yiadom was a bit unfortunate there. he was almost in the catchers face when he signalled, and he did try to not hit him , and only hit him side on slightly. I don't know if there's any lee-way in that rule for when signal made to being hit, along the lines of roughing the passer 2 steps?
Unfortunate is not an excuse for sheer body awareness. Never should've touched the returner. Really no excuse for boneheadedness.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt Yiadom was a bit unfortunate there. he was almost in the catchers face when he signalled, and he did try to not hit him , and only hit him side on slightly. I don't know if there's any lee-way in that rule for when signal made to being hit, along the lines of roughing the passer 2 steps?
You better watch it again… he hit him hard… and even if a fair catch had not been called he hit him before the ball even got there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dude signaled late sure...but Yiadom is taught to breakdown well before he did...no where have I ever heard the gunners are taught to run full bore through the returner as he basically did in this example.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were fortunate Harbaugh decided to go for two at the end. Apparently this is something he likes to do. I respect that, going for the win instead of the tie. Probably not too smart, but I respect it. Maybe he wanted to end the game since they Ravens were short handed due to CoVid.

Our defense made Huntley look like Lamar Jackson.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were fortunate Harbaugh decided to go for two at the end. Apparently this is something he likes to do. I respect that, going for the win instead of the tie. Probably not too smart, but I respect it. Maybe he wanted to end the game since they Ravens were short handed due to CoVid.

That was a Christmas gift to Packers.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if I would say he has balled out. Up until the last 4 games I had to check the box score to see if he was even active. I realize that box score stats aren't the definitive stats but up until the vikings game I'd say his contribution had been meh at best. Certainly not up to what I was expecting after last seasons finish.
I think MVS has shown much improvement this year. He would not have caught that TD he did yesterdays a couple of years ago. Too bad MVS had injuries this year.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to think that if the packers win the toss they should take the ball instead of deferring. Yesterday, with 3 minutes left in the 1st quarter, they're down 7-0 and Baltimore has run 24 plays to 4 for the Packers. Granted, they were able to tie it up by halftime and had a TD drive to start the 3rd, as they did against the Bears. Getting down early in the playoffs against Tampa or Dallas could be fatal. Lafleur needs to figure a better way to get his team out of the gate.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Rodgers I always prefer the chance at double dipping across the half.
I think Kramer makes a good point about the other team taking up too much clock on their first drive. Especially in a playoff game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Kramer makes a good point about the other team taking up too much clock on their first drive. Especially in a playoff game.

Never said not a valid or good point, purely stating my thoughts typically are try and get that double dip. Especially with how well our defense has been this year typically.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I also may be in the minority but the roughing the passer calls I kinda wish had two levels of severity. I believe the call on Oweh when he pushed Rodgers in the back was clearly well after the throw and late; I also though do not know if it was as severe or equivalent to many others we see. Again, I don't think anyone can argue against it being a RTP call, but just seems cheap for such a severe penalty. Automatic first down for some of these we see (both for us and against us) is just asinine IMO.
All personal fouls against the defense always result in an automatic first down. They'd have to create a separate penalty similar to running into the kicker which is not a personal foul and is 5 yards.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I also may be in the minority but the roughing the passer calls I kinda wish had two levels of severity. I believe the call on Oweh when he pushed Rodgers in the back was clearly well after the throw and late; I also though do not know if it was as severe or equivalent to many others we see. Again, I don't think anyone can argue against it being a RTP call, but just seems cheap for such a severe penalty. Automatic first down for some of these we see (both for us and against us) is just asinine IMO.
It wasn't severe. However, it was totally unnecessary and easily avoidable. It was the result of a player losing his self-discipline.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn't a pretty win and despite some dud performances we got the road W, against a playoff team.

Cleanup some things on Defense and get Clark, Alexander and maybe Z Dog back, we'll be fine.
Disagree. All wins on the road against playoff calibre teams are pretty. It is very easy to lose a game in this league as Arizona reminded all of us again yesterday. Everyone out there has 53 professional football players and it is wise to pay less attention to records when trying to figure out who might win. Momentum plays a huge role in wins/losses. We were two feet away on 1 play from losing yesterday.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Disagree. All wins on the road against playoff calibre teams are pretty. It is very easy to lose a game in this league as Arizona reminded all of us again yesterday. Everyone out there has 53 professional football players and it is wise to pay less attention to records when trying to figure out who might win. Momentum plays a huge role in wins/losses. We were two feet away on 1 play from losing yesterday.
Agree and when I say "wasn't pretty", I'm referring more to the way in which the Packers won. I can't agree with you more though, every win on the road is a good win, especially against an opponent that many thought might be a road loss. Playing the Ravens without Jackson helped too.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Who would you rather go to OT with and need to go 75 yards, Huntley or Rodgers?
We were not stopping them at all in the 4th quarter. And they were at home. Those things point to going for the tie.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never said not a valid or good point, purely stating my thoughts typically are try and get that double dip. Especially with how well our defense has been this year typically.
That is my preference as well…. And frankly I’m fine with the opponent burning a lot of clock …especially when they ultimately fail to score lol. But seriously, I would always prefer to get the ball first after the half. The first half is partly feeling out the opponent etc …. Hopefully coming out after halftime the Packers are ready to take over…. Going in with a lead is always preferable, but even without it … getting the ball first seems optimal to me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I almost always prefer to get the ball in the 2nd after getting a feel of how they’d be defending us.

But there really is no right answer other than stop them when you’re on defense and score when your on offense and don’t let special teams beat you.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just find it so amusing how often when MVS puts up something in the statlines folks think he is FINALLY coming through or what not. MVS has done nothing but ball out since the last third of the 2020 season to now. Blocking, routes, hands, awareness...

There's no doubt MVS has improved but I would have expected him to have more than 25 receptions in nine games in which he played more than half of the snaps on offense.

And really something so easy to change during the game. Rashan, for example, could have been going more to the outside. And it would not have affected his ability to get to the QB. He got close a bunch but that only counts in horseshoes and...Same with Preston. I think Barry did do some adjustments in the second half that helped but that wasn't one of them. He played Barnes more it seemed like.

The Packers actually contained Huntley pretty well for three quarters but somehow failed to do so in the fourth.

I don't know if there's any lee-way in that rule for when signal made to being hit, along the lines of roughing the passer 2 steps?

No, a returner is allowed to make a fair catch signal as long as the ball is in flight. If the player of the kicking team makes contact with him afterwards it's a penalty no matter what.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt MVS has improved but I would have expected him to have more than 25 receptions in nine games in which he played more than half of the snaps on offense.

Honestly I don't expect, but wouldn't have been surprised if he had. Rodgers has missed him a lot this year compared to last year and it is clear this offense hasn't been hitting its stride arguably till late, mix that with the fact MVS is/was at highest our 4th option or 5th option (Tonyan injury helps) - there will be whole games he may provide exactly what we need without more than a couple targets. His target rates over the last 4 games (10,9,5,7) is much higher typical target rate than he usually sees (with the 5 the exception). What has been promising is despite the sporadic target rate, MVS has clearly been more ready for the calls when they come his way then in previous years - which is promising as I've said.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

I think the thought there is if they tie the game they give the ball back to Rodgers with 42 seconds left. They could easily move into FG range. If they get the two points they go up one and put the pressure on to have to get the FG and not necessarily rely on getting to overtime if a score isn't made.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the thought there is if they tie the game they give the ball back to Rodgers with 42 seconds left. They could easily move into FG range.

While I wouldn't put it past Rodgers to do that, 42 seconds and no timeouts, moves it from Easy to Difficult.

I also agree with gopkers that the Ravens had all the momentum, as well as being at home, if I am Harbaugh, I am taking my chances and tying up the game.

For those who haven't heard it yet, Harbaugh was wired during the game and here is some insight into the decision to go for 2.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts