Official studs and duds Jax game

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't add anything to the Studs and Duds, but I will add something to the Concerning:

- Seems like Aaron Rodgers bails out of the pocket so much that this has become his normal way. Maybe I'm still having visions of last year, but Rodgers used to be a good pocket passer in addition to being able to scramble for the big play. Now he seems allergic to the pocket.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pos:

- Randall was outstanding. Helped shut down one of the better receivers in the league.

- O looked much improved from last year. Not 'back' yet, but good step.

- O line was respectable in run blocking, came up big on a 4th and 1 and gave a clean pocket to Rodgers. As a guy who thought the Sitton cut was insane I'll say so far so good on Taylor, but it's just 1 game.

- Neither Rodgers nor Adams was the player of the game, but they definitely came up with the play of the game on offense, that was a thing of beauty.

Con:

- The communication problems on offense are really getting old and unacceptable. More pre snap timeouts, and a delay of game coming out of a timeout? Get it together, guys.

- Rollins was not good today at all.

- Punt returns. Not sure if Hyde wasn't seeing the ball or what, but he got us buried inside the 5 twice. That field position was a potential game changer in the first half.

- Did Peppers play? Like, at all? I'm sorry, but if you're willing to cut one of the best guards in the NFL to save 7M for the future but you need to keep an even more expensive 36 year old at a position where we actually have depth, you had better have a lot more significant role for him than to sit on the bench and be a 10 and a half million dollar cheerleader.

D

Deleted member 6794

The offense seemed to be back on track although some improvements will have to be made to return to an elite level.

I was surprised by the defensive performance. Entering the game there was concern about defending the run but the unit did a great job allowing only 48 yards on 26 attempts. Undortunately the secondary struggled containing the Jaguars receivers and tight ends most of the game. Especially Rollins had a tough outing early before getting benched.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs-D line played well against the run with the exception of the Jags first Td.
Jake Ryan showed some improvement in quicker reactions that lead to the ball carrier faster.
Randall played well but Rollins and Gunter played poorly. I expect Rollins to get better with reps but Gunter just looks slow to me.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also a huge shout out to the medical staff. Despite the brutal conditions, cramping, muscle pulls and exhaustion from dehydration were pretty well avoided! Superb job by them!

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs:
OFFENSIVE LINE
duds:

defensive line
lane taylor

I thought the oline play was very good as well but surprised you had Taylor as a dud. Didnt watch much of the game due to technology issues but he held his own in pass blocking which was the question mark for him. Why have him as a dud?

And the dine stuffed the run for the most part. Why are they a dud?

D

Deleted member 6794

Also a huge shout out to the medical staff. Despite the brutal conditions, cramping, muscle pulls and exhaustion from dehydration were pretty well avoided! Superb job by them!

True. I think the strength and conditioning staff as well as the team's nutrionist deserve some credit as well.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett did not have a good game. Lane Taylor, for the most part, held up well. Davante Adams; bad drop, then a nice grab for a TD-needs to be more consistent. Ha-Ha Clinton Dix played well.

Nice to see Jordy back. The timing between him and A-Rodg was noticeably off early, but was quickly corrected in the second quarter.

Green Bay has started the season slow before, and much of the day they just looked a bit "off", for lack of a better term. Give Jacksonville credit - they're a work in progress, but they're getting there.

This game reminded me of the win against San Diego last year: Could never quite put them away, and then a big defensive play to hold them off at the end.

Road wins are tough in the NFL, so let's enjoy this one and on to Minnesota.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I really the only one who thought Nick Perry had a huge game? If he stays healthy, he could be NICE for us.

Ha-Ha and Damarious both played very well, too. This was a hard fought win in some brutal weather conditions. First game on the road as well? Nice win and a good start to the season.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good start to the season. Jags were the highest scoring team in the NFL last year. I was impressed with our run D overall.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Studs:
Run Defense
Jake Ryan
Oline

Duds:
Offense
Morgan Burnette in the first half

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I really the only one who thought Nick Perry had a huge game? If he stays healthy, he could be NICE for us.

Ha-Ha and Damarious both played very well, too. This was a hard fought win in some brutal weather conditions. First game on the road as well? Nice win and a good start to the season.

Perry did play well, nice to see him contributing. He had a nice pre-season as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: Davante Adams...how dare he make that terrific TD catch and force all those pre-written comments about how much he sucks to be deleted!!!! I worked a long time on those comments Davante!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers sure didn't make the defenders get beat on 4th downs. The WRs were often won their match ups today. There was a mix of zone and man play on 4th down too so the plays certainly weren't the same.

I thought Dom had some nifty play calls and often had guys in good position to make plays. On some of those 4th down conversions our guys were just slow in driving on the ball.

Studs: Davante, Randall Cobb, Aaron, Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, HHCD, Mike Daniels and LeTroy Guion, Demarious Randall... honestly a lot of players played well save for some communication mistakes.

Dud: Joe Whitt Jr., I think he's a great CB coach but he made things too complicated with the subs and rotations. The Defense stabilized once Randall went outside and Gunter went back to the bench. I like Randall more outside and if Rollins isn't available in the slot Hyde should be the next man up and after that one of the safeties.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we are just going to leave out the fact we still don't have a reliable punter? the conditions in JAX were not bad at all. Wait until December.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Undortunately the secondary struggled containing the Jaguars receivers and tight ends most of the game. Especially Rollins had a tough outing early before getting benched.

This was my biggest negative grade of the game too. I thought our secondary was going to be the strength of the defense and they didn't look that strong. Although some of that can be attributed to Bortles and a pretty solid group of receivers, we need to clean up the coverage and tackling mistakes in the secondary.

Was it just the sun in his eyes or did Micah Hyde once again look like he made some poor decisions as the punt returner? I assume it was the sun, since the Jags punt returner seemed to have the same issue in the second quarter.

Schum sure picked an inopportune time to channel his inner Masthay and get off his worst punt as a Packer to date.

Lacy looked improved, let's hope that continues.

Rodgers and the Packer receiving corp looked off at times, but hoping that was a bit of rust for Jordy as well as the offensive unit playing as a group in a game situation.

Lane Taylor was solid enough to prevent the Sitton deal from being a big topic of conversation for at least another week.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So we are just going to leave out the fact we still don't have a reliable punter? the conditions in JAX were not bad at all. Wait until December.

Brad Nortman showed us once again what a good punter can do for a team. I was unimpressed with Schum yesterday. Although, I think some Packer fans would have gone ballistic had we signed the FA Nortman in the off season for what the Jags paid him, $2.2M/year.

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had one bad punt. His others were pretty good.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dud: Joe Whitt Jr., I think he's a great CB coach but he made things too complicated with the subs and rotations. The Defense stabilized once Randall went outside and Gunter went back to the bench. I like Randall more outside and if Rollins isn't available in the slot Hyde should be the next man up and after that one of the safeties.

The Packers started the game with Randall on the perimeter and Rollins in the slot where he struggled mightily. Replacing him with Gunter was probably a mistake.

At the end of the game the defense ran out of cornerbacks with Shields and Gunter (cramps) not able to play and used Hyde and Burnett as nickel and dime CBs respectively and Kentrell Brice at safety.

I don't think Witt should be blamed for the shortcomings but mostly Rollins and Gunter not playing up to potential.

Schum hit three good punts but shanked one when needed the most. Not a great start. The Packers got lucky the Jaguars were called for a penalty on the last punt.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He had one bad punt. His others were pretty good.

While he had a 46 yard ave. on 4 punts a 56 yarder helped that. He had one line drive that was returned 14 yards and another punt near the end of the game that only went mid 30's. I wasn't that impressed.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't add anything to the Studs and Duds, but I will add something to the Concerning:

- Seems like Aaron Rodgers bails out of the pocket so much that this has become his normal way. Maybe I'm still having visions of last year, but Rodgers used to be a good pocket passer in addition to being able to scramble for the big play. Now he seems allergic to the pocket.

Yes, but it seems like Favre he makes some of his best throws out of the pocket. It also gives the receivers more time to get open.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While he had a 46 yard ave. on 4 punts a 56 yarder helped that. He had one line drive that was returned 14 yards and another punt near the end of the game that only went mid 30's. I wasn't that impressed.
Yeah, good debut in preseason but same old we've been used to to start the regular season

Members online

Latest posts