Official studs and duds Jax game

H

HardRightEdge

Peppers - Did he play. Complete non factor
Here are the Packers snap counts for the game according to one source:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...b-datone-jones-julius-peppers-quinten-rollins

I'm not sure how they came up with 72 defensive snaps. JAX ran 68 offensive plays (39 pass, 26 run, 3 sacks).

In any case, this site counts 29 Peppers snaps, or about 40%. I saw him out there quite a bit. Little impact; he was not credited with a tackle, assist, pass defended, nada...he does not appear in the ESPN box score at all.

"Complete non factor"? Nearly true, but not completely.

There was one of those patented Capers zone blitzes where the D-Lineman dropped in short zone coverage, in this case Peppers.

He dropped into the zone where Bortles was going, and I could swear I saw Bortles pause before misfiring. Pretty sure that was a failed 3rd. down conversion. So it wasn't nothin', even if it does not register anywhere.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Sitton who? I hate Sitton left but Lane stepped up like a Champ
Adams for righting his wrongs as the game progressed
Rodgers
OL
DL
Lacy
Clinton Dix

Duds: 3rd down conversation
Redzone offense
Rollins

I understand it was 110 degrees and that takes a toll no matter how in shape you are. Came out sluggish on offense and still waiting for those big dynamic plays but they didn't seem to come. MM has to stop playing it so close to the chest and air it out some. Lacy looked good, pounding his way through when we needed. Went 2-4 in the redzone, that can't happen. Defense stepped it up and finished it off, was giving WRs too much space earlier on.

H

HardRightEdge

On the subject of intended defensive confusion, I saw more than the usual kitchen sink of defensive fronts. 3, 4, 5, 6 man fronts, all standing up on some plays, safeties and ILBs mixed in on the inside, OLBs inside and outside.

I think on one occasion I saw a psycho elephant driving a NASCAR Chevy out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Duds: 3rd down conversation
The Packers were 7 of 14 on 3rd. down. Only 3 teams in the last 10 years have cracked 50% (2006 Colts, 2008 Colts, 2011 Saints). Convert 50% every game and you'll likely lead the league. Throw in the 1-1 on 4th. down.

D

Deleted member 6794

Can't you read ? I said the receivers have more time to get open when the QB's roll out of the pocket ! It also helps the QB's get away from pressure. Favre and Rodgers both seem to throw better on the run.

Can't you quote on a forum??? You said out of the pocket which is a small but crucial difference from outside of it.

It doesn't matter though as a quarterback can have the same time throwing a ball from both locations.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't you quote on a forum??? You said out of the pocket which is a small but crucial difference from outside of it.

It doesn't matter though as a quarterback can have the same time throwing a ball from both locations.

"Out of the pocket" and "outside of it" sounds the same to me.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't really see rodgers as a dud. sure, the timing and communication was off at times but when you have 3 TDs and no picks I don't really consider that a dud of a day.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
"Out of the pocket" and "outside of it" sounds the same to me.
I'm with the Capt on this one. Out of the pocket to me means he is still in the pocket. Change the object of the preposition to window and verb from pass to shoot. Shoot out of the window or shoot outside of the window. I see a big difference here. Especially if my ears are involved.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I'm with the Capt on this one. Out of the pocket to me means he is still in the pocket. Change the object of the preposition to window and verb from pass to shoot. Shoot out of the window or shoot outside of the window. I see a big difference here. Especially if my ears are involved.

I will counter Poppa's endorsement. Lets look at the original post:

Yes, but it seems like Favre he makes some of his best throws out of the pocket. It also gives the receivers more time to get open.

I can understand the confusion. The poster could have been clearer by stating "...some of his best throws while out of the pocket".

However, I don't think the word "while" is necessary to infer the poster's original intentions.

I mean, as written, if I accept the Captain's and Poppa's argument, the sentence doesn't really make sense:

Favre makes his best throws from within the pocket to out of the pocket?

When he is still in the pocket, I believe ALL of his throws (except the really short ones!!!) leave the pocket, no?

Which leaves me with the understanding that the writer meant "while out", not from "within" the pocket...

Anyhow, the only reason I jumped in here, besides having some down time with nothing better to do right now, is that Poppa decided to use some complicated language manipulation of changing objects or prepositions and to prove that he can see things with his ears. :rolleyes:

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers scrambling in and out of the pocket is both good and bad. Good because it gives the O-Line/blockers more time to block but bad because it might be easier to get penalized because he's shifting his position and the O-Line has to shift their position as well.

As for my studs and duds, a stud is just football is back and dud was chemistry. They just seemed a bit off. Hopefully they get their timing back when they get more games under their belt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's hard to be "on" when you haven't played a meaningful snap together in a long time. Nobody plays in the preseason, it's why the first month of the season most teams look off to some degree. I do give kudos to the team and coaches for being ready to play physically. Sure they got tired, but they rotated people thru and kept everyone going in some pretty brutal conditions. When you haven't played more than a handful of snaps since last season, those conditions can whither a man pretty quickly. I don't recall people being held out for the usual cramping and such.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the oline play was very good as well but surprised you had Taylor as a dud. Didnt watch much of the game due to technology issues but he held his own in pass blocking which was the question mark for him. Why have him as a dud?

Gotta try to keep the cutting of Josh Sitton story alive somehow.

Here are the Packers snap counts for the game according to one source:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...b-datone-jones-julius-peppers-quinten-rollins

I'm not sure how they came up with 72 defensive snaps. JAX ran 68 offensive plays (39 pass, 26 run, 3 sacks).

In any case, this site counts 29 Peppers snaps, or about 40%. I saw him out there quite a bit. Little impact; he was not credited with a tackle, assist, pass defended, nada...he does not appear in the ESPN box score at all.

"Complete non factor"? Nearly true, but not completely.

There was one of those patented Capers zone blitzes where the D-Lineman dropped in short zone coverage, in this case Peppers.

He dropped into the zone where Bortles was going, and I could swear I saw Bortles pause before misfiring. Pretty sure that was a failed 3rd. down conversion. So it wasn't nothin', even if it does not register anywhere.

This is true. It's not quite the same as the old saying " you know an offensive lineman is doing his job if you don't hear his name called" but it can work on the other side of the ball as well. What about a defensive back that no one throws against? Again, not quite the same because you would at least expect a linebacker to have a tackle or two but you have to look at where the play is going in each case. Just because you didn't hear his name and he didn't show up in the box score doesn't mean it was a totally wasted day. I'm not saying it wasn't either, I didn't see it so I don't know, but you have to look at each play and see where Peppers was in relation to where the play went. Still, its not a very good sign I admit.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Rodgers scrambling in and out of the pocket is both good and bad. Good because it gives the O-Line/blockers more time to block but bad because it might be easier to get penalized because he's shifting his position and the O-Line has to shift their position as well.

It seems to me the issue being that Rodgers doesn't trust his protection and escapes the pocket prematurely too often.

I don't recall people being held out for the usual cramping and such.

True, as far as I know only Gunter missed some snaps because of cramps.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me the issue being that Rodgers doesn't trust his protection and escapes the pocket prematurely too often.

True, as far as I know only Gunter missed some snaps because of cramps.

This is begining to become worrisome to me. Again Sunday there were times Rodgers had good protection and pocket and took off like a scared jackrabbit. It seems like he wants to turn every play into sandlot ball. His accuracy is begining to slide because his fundamentals are begining to slide.
This is a continuation of last years issues, and apparently it's going to continue.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts