Official studs and duds Jax game

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Statistically speaking not an impressive game. Seems like Jags had better stats except for rushing. Had it not been for the one Packers interception....this game might have went the other way.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jags played a very good game. Fortunate to get a win here.

Those are the type of games though that a good team (hopefully the Packers) win. I also think the Jags are much improved. Once Ivory is back, they are going to be in a lot of games this year.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears that most likely, we made a lateral change at Punter this year.

But it DOES seem like we might at least get a few booming long punts out of Schum. But yeah, would be nice to have an awesome punter. That punter from Oakland IMO is the best in the NFL. Seems like the Raiders always have good kickers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But it DOES seem like we might at least get a few booming long punts out of Schum. But yeah, would be nice to have an awesome punter. That punter from Oakland IMO is the best in the NFL. Seems like the Raiders always have good kickers.

While Nortman only punted twice yesterday and may have been aided by the Sun and Hydes fear of fair catching both punts looking into the sun, his 62.5 average on 2 punts downed inside the 10 shows just how a weapon at punter can help a team.

Last edited:

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs:

duds:

lane taylor

There was an article on line about how Lane Taylor hurt the offense or something, and between that and this post I'm wondering what people are seeing. How exactly do people think that this game would have been different with Sitton? Rodgers was under less pressure than I remember last year, and we ran the ball about the same as well.

If people want to put TT on here for letting Sitton go for nothing, that's fine but I don't think Taylor did anything remotely bad yesterday.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: Rodgers started having some Cutleresque throws last year where he didn't set his feet and just kinda flung it up there and missed the window for his receiver. He did the same thing a couple of times yesterday, particularly on those "no can defend" sideline passes to Nelson. That play used to be a thing of beauty because he'd put it where only Nelson could get it and Nelson would be exactly where he needed to be. Yesterday, at least twice Rodgers threw it into the ground and his throwing motion was sloppy as hell. He never used to do that a few years ago, and I really hope he gets back to being the same robot with the perfect motion every time that he was when he was MVP.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, but it seems like Favre he makes some of his best throws out of the pocket. It also gives the receivers more time to get open.

The receivers don't have more time to get open when Rodgers stays in the pocket. It's important how long the quarterback is having time to throw the ball.

There was an article on line about how Lane Taylor hurt the offense or something, and between that and this post I'm wondering what people are seeing. How exactly do people think that this game would have been different with Sitton? Rodgers was under less pressure than I remember last year, and we ran the ball about the same as well.

If people want to put TT on here for letting Sitton go for nothing, that's fine but I don't think Taylor did anything remotely bad yesterday.

Taylor played on a decent level but the scheme helped him a ton as he was hardly asked to block a pass rusher one-on-one. Sitton is for sure a better pass blocker on his own. That could hurt the Packers against better front sevens.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Run Defense - outstanding most of game
Rodgers/Adams - that TD pass was sick on both ends
Joe Thomas - Looked like the best ILB on the team
Clay Mathews - back where he belongs and it showed.
Nick Perry - Solid game

Duds:
Pass D - Cover a TE once. Way to many open receivers
Offensive Communication - Took too long to get plays in and someone on the line needs to be able to communicate that Rodgers audibled to a run.
Peppers - Did he play. Complete non factor

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a side note, I don't know how Lane Tayor graded out, but there didn't seem to be any major gaffes by the Packer o-line. Certainly not perfect, but they seem to keep A-Rodg upright for the most part, and Malik
He had one bad punt. His others were pretty good.

Yes. If there is a superior punter available, and anyone can identify him, please let the Packer front office know. If not, we'll have to go with this guy for now, so we might as well get used to it.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Packers run Defense

Dud: 12. You can't do the Diva 'I don't wanna play in pre-season' and expect to be ready to go. Hopefully the egg he laid yesterday proves this to him. He did JUST enought hat the D had their backs against the wall and had to win the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes. If there is a superior punter available, and anyone can identify him, please let the Packer front office know. If not, we'll have to go with this guy for now, so we might as well get used to it.

There were better punters available in Free Agency (Nortman for one) or probably via the draft, but the Packers for some reason once again thought they could either shake Masthay out of his funk or bring in a rookie UDFA to compete. Both moves seemed to backfire and they were left having to once again settle for average or below at a position that seems to be of very low priority for them.

D

Deleted member 6794

If there is a superior punter available, and anyone can identify him, please let the Packer front office know. If not, we'll have to go with this guy for now, so we might as well get used to it.

It's close to impossible finding an upgrade at punter now. There was a chance earlier this offseason though.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a side note, as far as I could tell Lane Taylor held up okay. I don't recall Malik Jackson being particularly dominant on Sunday, and he's one of the better DT's the Packers will face this season.

I don't know how Josh Sitton did, but his O-line got mauled by JJ Watt and company Sunday. I heard Cutler was sacked five times and hit 13 times. Not good.......

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Lane Taylor is going to be just fine going forward. Honestly, we have more pressing matters anyway it seems. Like covering good TE's. We did very well against the Jags WR's, but TE Julius Thomas ate us up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know how Josh Sitton did, but his O-line got mauled by JJ Watt and company Sunday. I heard Cutler was sacked five times and hit 13 times. Not good.......

Someone posted a vid of a few of the Bears woes on their O-line yesterday, Sitton didn't look so good on those plays. But as one Bear fan told me, Sitton was probably the highlight of the O-line yesterday and its going to take some time for their new line to meld.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cutler still gonna Cutler. It doesn't matter what OL is in front of him, LOL

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So we cut Masthay for Masthay 2.0. Shank a punt when we needed a field tilting punt. At least I didn't see any pooch punts drilled through the endzone. Yet.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The receivers don't have more time to get open when Rodgers stays in the pocket. It's important how long the quarterback is having time to throw the ball.

Can't you read ? I said the receivers have more time to get open when the QB's roll out of the pocket ! It also helps the QB's get away from pressure. Favre and Rodgers both seem to throw better on the run.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So we cut Masthay for Masthay 2.0. Shank a punt when we needed a field tilting punt. At least I didn't see any pooch punts drilled through the endzone. Yet.

No surprise, but nobody else has installed the 1.o version, so if the 2.o version doesn't work out, we could probably uninstall it and reinstall the 1.0 version at a discount of its original price.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pos:

- Randall was outstanding. Helped shut down one of the better receivers in the league.

- O looked much improved from last year. Not 'back' yet, but good step.

- O line was respectable in run blocking, came up big on a 4th and 1 and gave a clean pocket to Rodgers. As a guy who thought the Sitton cut was insane I'll say so far so good on Taylor, but it's just 1 game.

- Neither Rodgers nor Adams was the player of the game, but they definitely came up with the play of the game on offense, that was a thing of beauty.

Con:

- The communication problems on offense are really getting old and unacceptable. More pre snap timeouts, and a delay of game coming out of a timeout? Get it together, guys.

- Rollins was not good today at all.

- Punt returns. Not sure if Hyde wasn't seeing the ball or what, but he got us buried inside the 5 twice. That field position was a potential game changer in the first half.

- Did Peppers play? Like, at all? I'm sorry, but if you're willing to cut one of the best guards in the NFL to save 7M for the future but you need to keep an even more expensive 36 year old at a position where we actually have depth, you had better have a lot more significant role for him than to sit on the bench and be a 10 and a half million dollar cheerleader.

I'd give Hyde a pass it was the sun better let go than have a turn over on a muff

H

HardRightEdge

The first half was raggedy, as befitting week 1.

I was pretty satisfied with the all around performance in the second half, particularly good energy on defense.

I could cite some studs and duds, but it was a good team win and I'll leave it at that.

Staff online

Members online