Official 2023 week 3 pregame thread: Home opener vs the undefeated Saints

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. The only fantasy thing I look at (because it gives player news) did not pick one GB player on offense. In fact, they said to stay away from them all. They did say that if The Pack get a couple of sacks; they would be a good take on D. Not that I care. But it shows that a lot of people think the New orleans D is very good. We've been good at pass pro so if we can do well there; it should be interesting imho. Let em play tight on 3rd down Barry. No bend but don't break please.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm worried about the Saints receiving corps. I'm at the strictly show me stage with this defense. I have no confidence in them. Saints, 24-17

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we will get Lucky and MLF will put Barry on the inactive list 90 minutes B4 kickoff.
We can only dream. Joking aside, or dreaming aside, Barry should never have been brought back. He's running the same soft zone. Watch for a lot of underneath stuff today to Olave to keep the chains moving. Hopefully Barry plays more man, but I'm not counting on it.

Or am I wrong on this because it seems playing corners way off the LOS on 3rd and long (5 plus yards) makes little sense, especially with so many teams going for it on 4th down? The opponent easily completes passes underneath the first down marker to untouched receivers, and either convert or go for it on 4th. Please tell me if/how I'm reading this wrong.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that does make the Saints an early gotta win.
This is not a great scenario. Banged up and having to play 2 games in 5 days. A few years back the Lions would be a pleasant relief and the Saints had a guy named Brees.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not a great scenario. Banged up and having to play 2 games in 5 days. A few years back the Lions would be a pleasant relief and the Saints had a guy named Brees.
Yeah it's flipped a bit, although the Saints won't be an easy out. The Lions look fallible, but there's no denying their talent. Should be an interesting test for Love and the rest of the team.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We can only dream. Joking aside, or dreaming aside, Barry should never have been brought back. He's running the same soft zone. Watch for a lot of underneath stuff today to Olave to keep the chains moving. Hopefully Barry plays more man, but I'm not counting on it.

Or am I wrong on this because it seems playing corners way off the LOS on 3rd and long (5 plus yards) makes little sense, especially with so many teams going for it on 4th down? The opponent easily completes passes underneath the first down marker to untouched receivers, and either convert or go for it on 4th. Please tell me if/how I'm reading this wrong.
Packers defense is top 10 on third down and exact middle on fourth.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow! Cause we gave up a lot of 3rd downs last game I thought. And they had a bunch of long drives. Maybe they also had a lot of 10 yard runs and didn't need a 3rd down. I don't brim with confidence on 3rd downs. Especially when I see corners and safties way the hell back. And one of the corners is a large inside linebacker.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Cause we gave up a lot of 3rd downs last game I thought. And they had a bunch of long drives. Maybe they also had a lot of 10 yard runs and didn't need a 3rd down. I don't brim with confidence on 3rd downs. Especially when I see corners and safties way the hell back. And one of the corners is a large inside linebacker.
You talking about Campbell covering a RB? It's the same matchup GB does with AJ33. That's what the S/LB combo spot is supposed to do except we can't find anyone for it. Remember this play whenever you hear of moving a safety to LB in camp.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You talking about Campbell covering a RB? It's the same matchup GB does with AJ33. That's what the S/LB combo spot is supposed to do except we can't find anyone for it. Remember this play whenever you hear of moving a safety to LB in camp.
And so we keep doing it even though as you say, we can't find anyone for it? We do have other safties and corners for that. OK, then they run. We have a better chance with that imo. And I guess it won't matter if we still play way off the first down line. Anyway, I'm not gonna let Barry ruin the game watching for me. I just hope I don't have to sit and watch and be frustrated like the 2nd half last week.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
And so we keep doing it even though as you say, we can't find anyone for it? We do have other safties and corners for that. OK, then they run. We have a better chance with that imo. And I guess it won't matter if we still play way off the first down line. Anyway, I'm not gonna let Barry ruin the game watching for me. I just hope I don't have to sit and watch and be frustrated like the 2nd half last week.
You line up in nickel to cover the RB and they hand off. Now you have a DB instead of a LB. All teams do it and that is the chess match.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You line up in nickel to cover the RB and they hand off. Now you have a DB instead of a LB. All teams do it and that is the chess match.
I can't believe you agree with it. I don't really care what all the teams do. All the teams used to have 3 man rushes and many other things. We did not have a chance to stop those first downs with Campbell in the game. And not all teams play so far off the first down line.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is not a great scenario. Banged up and having to play 2 games in 5 days.
At least both games are at home for the Packers. I think it is tougher when that Thursday night game is on the road. Yeah, it's on a flight from Detroit to GB, but its still a lot of moving around, unfamiliar accommodations, locker-room, field, etc.

First home game of the Season for the Packers and for Love as a Starter. I think they will be about as fired up as we have seen them in years.

Packers run away with this one, defense scores twice.

Pack wins 35-17

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This might be a long afternoon. We have 5 starters sitting out. I just hope no more starters get hurt.
Yeah, that is crazy. We are in week 3 and already down 5 starters. Watson hasn't played a snap and Bahk and Jones have only played 1 game.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better than I expected. Thanks for the stats. I still wish they’d play more bump n run. Maybe they will against Olave.

I’m also expecting 3 or 4 sacks Carr is a pocket guy and not very mobile.

And WTF is up with the injuries? Watson has to find a way to play. He had hamstring problems last season so this isn’t new. That injury does take a lot of time to heal properly. But this was a camp injury. C’mon.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the hell is Bakhtiari still on the team? Can't we get like a 3rd rounder or something for him? He has played a total of THIRTEEN games since 2020. He's expensive and unreliable. I'm about done with him. He's great when he can play but we'd be better off finding his long-term replacement now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No Studs and Duds?

I'll start it off

DUDS: Everyone in the first 3 Q's.

STUDS: Everyone in the 4t Q.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. If we play the Bears every week.
At least both games are at home for the Packers. I think it is tougher when that Thursday night game is on the road. Yeah, it's on a flight from Detroit to GB, but its still a lot of moving around, unfamiliar accommodations, locker-room, field, etc.

First home game of the Season for the Packers and for Love as a Starter. I think they will be about as fired up as we have seen them in years.

Packers run away with this one, defense scores twice.

Pack wins 35-17
We have to run block better than today. Kind if like a T-Day game in Detroit in reverse.

Members online

Latest posts