Official 2023 week 2 pregame thread at undefeated Dirty Birds of Atlanta

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be surprised if either Jones or Watson don't play. I hope they don't send Watson out for a long pass until he has a chance to get adjusted to the game first. And I would not be unhappy never to see him run a power sweep. He's kind of gangly and just not built to take the huge hit that often comes with that play imho. Besides, he is too valuable as a w/o.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see this as a Packer victory. Very pleased that Quay Walker is playing - he is the key. The falcons have an impressive 1-2 RB punch and last season I would expect us to lose. Hopefully the Bears game was the new defensive standard and we should be able to really contain the run game. Walker was a big part of that - when teamed with Campbell, it will be tough for any team to run.

Packer 34 Atlanta 17

Packers limit the run game and the Atlanta passing game able to get going with the constant pressure. On offense the Packers move the ball well. Another big game by Love. 3 tds but an Int as well. 25/36/275 yds. Aaron Jones used sparingly because game is always in hand but AJ Dillon redeems himself.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be surprised if either Jones or Watson don't play. I hope they don't send Watson out for a long pass until he has a chance to get adjusted to the game first. And I would not be unhappy never to see him run a power sweep. He's kind of gangly and just not built to take the huge hit that often comes with that play imho. Besides, he is too valuable as a w/o.
And if he has not practiced and they do this he can easily reinjure himself.

Reaction score
I see this as a Packer victory. Very pleased that Quay Walker is playing - he is the key. The falcons have an impressive 1-2 RB punch and last season I would expect us to lose. Hopefully the Bears game was the new defensive standard and we should be able to really contain the run game. Walker was a big part of that - when teamed with Campbell, it will be tough for any team to run.

Packer 34 Atlanta 17

Packers limit the run game and the Atlanta passing game able to get going with the constant pressure. On offense the Packers move the ball well. Another big game by Love. 3 tds but an Int as well. 25/36/275 yds. Aaron Jones used sparingly because game is always in hand but AJ Dillon redeems himself.
Agreed. The strength of our Defense is still pass pressure and our DB’s benefiting from an elevated number of throws into tight coverage. If we can mitigate their Running game earlier and get a 2 score lead by middle 3rd Qtr, it will force Atlanta to play away from their strength.

Personally I’d like to see Savage come down for Run support more once again. He’s on the smaller side but also best suited to use his speed to be be proactive and disrupt the backfield. Darnell doesn’t always finish properly, but he’s got ideal speed to grapple with a runner behind LOS and mitigate until support closes in. Savage proved once again he needs to play on his toes and not his heels.

Until Ridder (30.2 QB rating) can prove formidable on the longer pass and regular?
I’m keeping 8 in the box and being RB proactive by keeping a guy on the RB like a magnet

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. The strength of our Defense is still pass pressure and our DB’s benefiting from an elevated number of throws into tight coverage. If we can mitigate their Running game earlier and get a 2 score lead by middle 3rd Qtr, it will force Atlanta to play away from their strength.

Personally I’d like to see Savage come down for Run support more once again. He’s on the smaller side but also best suited to use his speed to be be proactive and disrupt the backfield. Darnell doesn’t always finish properly, but he’s got ideal speed to grapple with a runner behind LOS and mitigate until support closes in. Savage proved once again he needs to play on his toes and not his heels.

Until Ridder (30.2 QB rating) can prove formidable on the longer pass and regular?
I’m keeping 8 in the box and being RB proactive by keeping a guy on the RB like a magnet
I am one who wonders how MLF approaches this game. With a young team the mental preparation is just as important as the physical. Last week we were very familiar with Fields and the Bears since we play them twice a year. And it is the hailed oldest rivalry in the NFL. So getting the team fired up was not as difficult. This one is different. Much of the Packer roster has not played AT Atlanta. They are not the Julio-Matty Ice Falcons. With question marks come surprises. The coaching staff must be ready to make adjustments. At the same time our players should not hesitate to go out and just play football. 2 road games to start the season for a young team is just what they needed.

Reaction score
I am one who wonders how MLF approaches this game. With a young team the mental preparation is just as important as the physical. Last week we were very familiar with Fields and the Bears since we play them twice a year. And it is the hailed oldest rivalry in the NFL. So getting the team fired up was not as difficult. This one is different. Much of the Packer roster has not played AT Atlanta. They are not the Julio-Matty Ice Falcons. With question marks come surprises. The coaching staff must be ready to make adjustments. At the same time our players should not hesitate to go out and just play football. 2 road games to start the season for a young team is just what they needed.
My only slight concerns are two things.
1. We are missing #33 and #9. That’s essentially our RB1 and WR1. Any team missing that is not going to be nearly as dynamic on Offense.

2. We are traveling much farther than Chicago. It’s s 1,000 miles to Atlanta and we traditionally don’t do well when traveling distances. Although this group is more beauty over age AND this isn’t 2,000 miles to LA either.

That said. I believe we have 2 things going for us.
1. We have the better QB imo. That erases or at least levels our missing a few O weapons

2. We are healthy on Defense and more opportunistic than our usual on Special Teams.

Those 2 things should conceivably level any travel deficiency. If we can win or tie the turnover ratio Atlanta will at minimum have their hands full. Once again we are slight underdogs, but that could change this week.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only slight concerns are two things.
1. We are missing #33 and #9. That’s essentially our RB1 and WR1. Any team missing that is not going to be nearly as dynamic on Offense.

2. We are traveling much farther than Chicago. It’s s 1,000 miles to Atlanta and we traditionally don’t do well when traveling distances. Although this group is more beauty over age AND this isn’t 2,000 miles to LA either.

That said. I believe we have 2 things going for us.
1. We have the better QB imo. That erases or at least levels our missing a few O weapons

2. We are healthy on Defense and more opportunistic than our usual on Special Teams.

Those 2 things should conceivably level any travel deficiency. If we can win or tie the turnover ratio Atlanta will at minimum have their hands full. Once again we are slight underdogs, but that could change this week.
The ability to break one declines significantly without either. Dillon is going to have to do a better job seeing and hitting the holes. Taylor will get plenty of chances. And what about the surprise RB that made the 53? Reed is going to see the ball go his way as well as Toure. It is their Packer team now. It is their chance to light up the stage. Every kid wants that.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just my opinion here. Even if Jones plays, he will be limited. Dillon will carry the mail. Even if Watson dresses, the bulk of the load will be directed at Doubs and whomever they have playing TE.

We will probably see a little more passing than we did last week because of Jones being limited. They'd probably feel a little more comfortable with their young receivers. Especially if they ironed out some of their route running gaffs from the Bears game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just my opinion here. Even if Jones plays, he will be limited. Dillon will carry the mail. Even if Watson dresses, the bulk of the load will be directed at Doubs and whomever they have playing TE.

We will probably see a little more passing than we did last week because of Jones being limited. They'd probably feel a little more comfortable with their young receivers. Especially if they ironed out some of their route running gaffs from the Bears game.
I know Taylor will get plenty of reps. I was hoping Emanuel Wilson would get some shots. He made the team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Rumor is he and Watson won't play

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Bakh inactive???? Surprised at that .. Blaming the turf in Atlanta. Expected Caleb Jones to be active then but not.

RB Aaron Jones
WR Christian Watson
LT David Bakhtiari
S Anthony Johnson Jr.
S Zayne Anderson
OLB Brenton Cox
OT Caleb Jones

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakh inactive???? Surprised at that .. Blaming the turf in Atlanta. Expected Caleb Jones to be active then but not.

RB Aaron Jones
WR Christian Watson
LT David Bakhtiari
S Anthony Johnson Jr.
S Zayne Anderson
OLB Brenton Cox
OT Caleb Jones
Take out Jones and Bahk and now the Falcons suddenly have tilted Vegas.

ClutchLove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got the coverage for this game here in our area - I'm excited to see how well Love can/will play in a dome

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got the coverage for this game here in our area - I'm excited to see how well Love can/will play in a dome
You can see the effects of playing on the road in the dome with a young team. Holmgren battled this in his early years in both Detroit and Minnesota and Dallas. That botched 4th down snap was typical. I would rather have been stopped and got beat then.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our D was on their heels the whole game. The Falcons played a great game, the better team won today.
They ran the ball. We did not. The absence of Jones and Bahk showed. Dillon is just not good enough. Too slow. Thought MLF might use Taylor or Emanuel more.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crap loss. Winnable game thrown away.

D is just bad.

O in 4Q - 10 plays for 11 yards. Dillon was crap and MLF seems to have lost all creativity.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crap loss. Winnable game thrown away.

D is just bad.

O in 4Q - 10 plays for 11 yards. Dillon was crap and MLF seems to have lost all creativity.
Howie just said we have the youngest team in the league. If not, close. This is what you expect. The mental errors. And when you are missing playmakers such as Jones and Bahk this team does not have Nelson, Jennings, and Finley to compensate. It is amazing we lost by 1. A better opponent beats us by 17. Dillon is not Jones and it was clearly the difference. The botch up on the 4th down snap cannot happen but it did.

ClutchLove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes turf.

I think I heard that might be a reason. But Gary is playing.

Maybe they felt match ups he could sit out?

hey I'd sign up for ~$38M annually ... or about $9.375M for 4 NFL plays and to tear my Achilles tendon all day. every day

LOL - sorry couldn't help it

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know what to say about Bakhtiari not playing...please do not tell me it is due to the stadium and turf...if it is he should hand back this weeks paycheck

Latest posts