Knew we should have signed Devin Hester

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would have allowed us to keep starters Micah Hyde and Randall Cobb off returns. Hyde was injured while returning a punt against the Jets which forced the Packers to risk Cobb on returns for the rest of the game. On top of that Hester even at this stage is a much better returner than Hyde, Cobb, or Harris. He would have given us a scoring threat on every punt and kickoff. And we all saw what having Desmond Howard did for the Packers during their 96 super bowl run. Hester came at a reasonable price and could have provided the same or greater impact as Howard.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would have allowed us to keep starters Micah Hyde and Randall Cobb off returns. Hyde was injured while returning a punt against the Jets which forced the Packers to risk Cobb on returns for the rest of the game. On top of that Hester even at this stage is a much better returner than Hyde, Cobb, or Harris. He would have given us a scoring threat on every punt and kickoff. And we all saw what having Desmond Howard did for the Packers during their 96 super bowl run. Hester came at a reasonable price and could have provided the same or greater impact as Howard.
Have to give TT a call

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Take the money you paid Kuhn and give it to Hester. Hyde hurt, fortunately back. Does it really make sense to have Cobb returning punts?

He wanted to go to Tampa with Lovie, but Tampa wouldnt fork over the $

I would have been okay with him being here, wonder if there was any internal talks about him

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he's awfully valuable. If it wasn't for him Atlanta would only be up by six touchdowns. And he's already hurt. For 3 mil. Geez people, eight years ago it'd have been nice to have Hester. Now NO WAY.

I swear some people here must think that they get $5 in the mail every time they complain about something.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he's awfully valuable. If it wasn't for him Atlanta would only be up by six touchdowns. And he's already hurt. For 3 mil. Geez people, eight years ago it'd have been nice to have Hester. Now NO WAY.

I swear some people here must think that they get $5 in the mail every time they complain about something.
Einstein--Pretty sure you and others will be the one's complaining if Cobb gets hurt returning punts.

I swear some people must think they get $5 in the mail every time the say something obscure.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Einstein--Pretty sure you and others will be the one's complaining if Cobb gets hurt returning punts.

I swear some people must think they get $5 in the mail every time the say something obscure.

Cobb got hurt real bad as a wide receiver..

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

would have cost us at least 3.5 mil, ill pass
dude is pretty much worthless in every other aspect of the game

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm the one who said we should trade up in front of the Bears and draft Hester. How smart am I? I'm also the one who said we should trade up for JJ watt and Kuechley.

Be interesting to see how my picks this season will do. Before the draft I stated, on record: "The Packers should trade up in front of any team drafting a super star and draft him before they do." Feel free to check back in here with my prediction and see if I was right or not.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm the one who said we should trade up in front of the Bears and draft Hester. How smart am I? I'm also the one who said we should trade up for JJ watt and Kuechley.

Be interesting to see how my picks this season will do. Before the draft I stated, on record: "The Packers should trade up in front of any team drafting a super star and draft him before they do." Feel free to check back in here with my prediction and see if I was right or not.
LOL

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow, I guess I didn't realize that our only two choices were Cobb returning punts or paying Hester 3mil a year. Weird how that worked out.

Anyway, it's not like other teams don't use important players to return punts (Seattle using Earl Thomas is the best example I can think of, although I think the cards still use Patrick Peterson), and it's not like they didn't try to address this (Abredaris may be our returner if not injured, White may have made the team if he could catch punts, Janis may still take it over at some point etc) and it's not like they didn't try to have a devoted returner guy before (Jeremy Ross has proved the Packers' coaches right in detroit, although we'll have to see how much of a fumbler he continues to be).

So complain away, but recognize that at least in this case you're being pretty silly.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a cold, hard business decision. At 3 mil a year for a guy who's strictly a kick returner and in the twilight of his career?
That's a no.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a cold, hard business decision. At 3 mil a year for a guy who's strictly a kick returner and in the twilight of his career?
That's a no.
But you'll gladly pay John Kuhn $1M to average 2.5 a carry.

I really don't care if it's Hester. I prefer to not have a punt returner be a huge piece of your offense our a starting safety.

If Cobb gets hurt returning, you'll see thousands of GB fans asking why?

Additionally, I don't care about other teams. If you watched the Seattle game, Collingsworth stated the same thing. Why have Thomas returning punts?

Not silly. Realistic.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't recall saying anything about Kuhn, OCBP. He plays a small role here, but personally, I would have let him go before last season. While he plays his role very well, I think it's too minimal of a role, and the cap and roster space could be better used.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't recall saying anything about Kuhn, OCBP. He plays a small role here, but personally, I would have let him go before last season. While he plays his role very well, I think it's too minimal of a role, and the cap and roster space could be better used.

Actually Kuhn costs an additional $600K in cap space over a minimum guy, nothing to get worried about.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
But you'll gladly pay John Kuhn $1M to average 2.5 a carry.

I really don't care if it's Hester. I prefer to not have a punt returner be a huge piece of your offense our a starting safety.

If Cobb gets hurt returning, you'll see thousands of GB fans asking why?

Additionally, I don't care about other teams. If you watched the Seattle game, Collingsworth stated the same thing. Why have Thomas returning punts?

Not silly. Realistic.
Are you talking about the John Kuhn who put the block on Peppers that gave Rogers the time to throw a TD to Cobb and win the division on 4th and 14? That Kuhn?? Hell, he's worth the money just to be able to yell KUUUUUHHNNNNN!!!!

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you talking about the John Kuhn who put the block on Peppers that gave Rogers the time to throw a TD to Cobb and win the division on 4th and 14? That Kuhn?? Hell, he's worth the money just to be able to yell KUUUUUHHNNNNN!!!!
Yes. The same Kuhn that has less than a 3 yards/carry.

Yelling Kuhn is like doing the wave. Extremely overrated and childish.

I figured I'd get some feedback on commentary about being realistic about the legendary FB that likely wouldn't make another NFL roster.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yes. The same Kuhn that has less than a 3 yards/carry.

Yelling Kuhn is like doing the wave. Extremely overrated and childish.

I figured I'd get some feedback on commentary about being realistic about the legendary FB that likely wouldn't make another NFL roster.
He is a great special teams player, a very good short yardage player either as the lead blocker or the ball carrier and he is an excellent blocker. Obviously the coaching staff likes it also.

Members online