John Dorsey to take over for Ted Thompson?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He got lucky Jerry Glanville gave up on Favre and he fell into their laps. He blew high draft picks on Jamal Reynolds, Edwards, John Michaels, Terrell Buckley, and those are just the first rounders!

A hall of fame qb and he could only muster 1 SB win. Pathetic.

He left the packers so bereft of talent by the end of his tenure, they were mediocre at best. And who did he leave the Packers with - his hand picked successor? Mike Sherman. That alone should make him a butthead in most fans eyes.

But go ahead and worship your he-can-do-no-wrong deity. As for me, I am not satisfied with mediocrity like you but appreciate the effort towards perfection that TT at least attempts.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Just think that it is time for new blood to come on in. That is the reason for the change.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just that he's been involved with 24 years of Packer's drafting and has been sitting in on film study, player evaluations and scouting since he was 10 years old. Can only imagine the "nuggets" he's picked-up from not only his dad but all of the scouts, personnel guys and players that have come and gone over those years. Has been involved with all aspects of talent evaluation and has quickly risen up the corporate ladder, so think he's ready to successfully run a team.

As I said, Dorsey would be a great plan B if Wolf doesn't succeed TT, but don't like that Dorsey left the KC WR position a weakness for so long.

Well, they are both Ted Thompson disciples, so there's that.....:p

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He got lucky Jerry Glanville gave up on Favre and he fell into their laps. He blew high draft picks on Jamal Reynolds, Edwards, John Michaels, Terrell Buckley, and those are just the first rounders!

A hall of fame qb and he could only muster 1 SB win. Pathetic.

He left the packers so bereft of talent by the end of his tenure, they were mediocre at best. And who did he leave the Packers with - his hand picked successor? Mike Sherman. That alone should make him a butthead in most fans eyes.

But go ahead and worship your he-can-do-no-wrong deity. As for me, I am not satisfied with mediocrity like you but appreciate the effort towards perfection that TT at least attempts.
I'm not in agreement about the "he's lucky" argument whether it's used with Wolf/Favre or Thompson/Rodgers scenario. Both were signs to me of a GM making a strong bold move to build a winner and taking advantage of an opportunity.

I agree that Thompson generally has been better at drafting than Wolf was.

I very much appreciate Wolf's tenure as GM. Overall, I'd consider him among the elite during his time in Green Bay.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not in agreement about the "he's lucky" argument whether it's used with Wolf/Favre or Thompson/Rodgers scenario. Both were signs to me of a GM making a strong bold move to build a winner and taking advantage of an opportunity.

I very much appreciate Wolf's tenure as GM. Overall, I'd consider him among the elite during his time in Green Bay.

There's no doubt Wolf and Thompson have both been successful general managers with the Packers but in my opinion elite status should be reserved for the Lombardi/Vainisi combo in Green Bay.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I always find it amusing when a GM gets blamed for all the players they picked who didn't work out, but when one does, "They got lucky".........:p

Favre & Rodgers ended in in Titletown because Green Bay had GMs smart enough to see them something other GMs did not.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So there it seems there are two knocks on Dorsey in Kansas City:

#1) He didn't snag a franchise QB
#2) He didn't manage the cap efficiently

#1) Regarding the QB, that is always a GM's #1 goal but it's not the only way to build a SB champion. Let's also not discount the possibility that Andy Reid may have been content with a game manager to compliment a strong running game and defense. He seems like that kind of coach to me. Obviously though, they want the impact QB but that's the hardest thing to find.

#2) If people didn't like the alternate scenario of swapping Rodgers for Alex Smith, what about swapping Russ Ball for the Chief's contract negotiator? Dorsey seems to have mostly made the right moves on the personnel side, but the contracts and cap management sunk him. He's not generally the guy doing that work though. He's responsible for that position, and maybe that's his takeaway from his first GM stint - find a top flight negotiator next time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Wolf, I've never felt that the Packers are reluctant. I don't think that Murphy or the Board is as dissatisfied as the anonymous posters on message boards. They are more than happy to let TT run the team until he decides to retire. While TT has hinted at retirement, much like Favre did, he seems to be happy and enjoying his job.

I think that the Packers and TT have been grooming Wolf until TT is ready to retire. I have no doubt that there is a plan in place. I'm also not ignorant to the fact that their plan may fall apart.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dorsey seems to have mostly made the right moves on the personnel side, but the contracts and cap management sunk him. He's not generally the guy doing that work though. He's responsible for that position, and maybe that's his takeaway from his first GM stint - find a top flight negotiator next time.

While Dorsey most likely wasn't the one negotiating contracts in Kansas City he's still responsible for smartly managing the cap.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For my money I would've replaced Ted after the implosion in Atlanta. He's obviously not doing enough to get us where we should be. We need a GM that can do what was done in Frisco in the 80's, Dallas in the 90's and NE since. Multiple superbowl wins (Ted failed), consistent playoff team (Ted has done this part) and a dominant dynasty (Ted failed). Is that Dorsey? I don't know. Is that Wolf? I don't know. Is that somebody else. Again I don't know, nor do I know who would be that guy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Wolf, I've never felt that the Packers are reluctant. I don't think that Murphy or the Board is as dissatisfied as the anonymous posters on message boards. They are more than happy to let TT run the team until he decides to retire. While TT has hinted at retirement, much like Favre did, he seems to be happy and enjoying his job.

I think that the Packers and TT have been grooming Wolf until TT is ready to retire. I have no doubt that there is a plan in place. I'm also not ignorant to the fact that their plan may fall apart.

I think Wolf certainly has the inside track to be the next Packers GM. I can't see all the promotions and refusals to allow him to interview (Until recently anyway) and the like if that weren't the case. I also think the only reason he isn't already is because as long as Ted wants the job and is under contract there is no way Mark Murphy is going to can him.

That's not to say they couldn't go in another direction if the right person was available and I can't help but think Dorsey would at least be an intriguing option.

Still, my gut says Elliot Wolf will be the next Packers GM and it will happen after Teds contract runs out in 2018. I could see it happening after this season if Ted is convinced Wolf is ready to take over.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still, my gut says Elliot Wolf will be the next Packers GM and it will happen after Teds contract runs out in 2018. I could see it happening after this season if Ted is convinced Wolf is ready to take over.

I believe it's more about Thompson being ready to step down rather than him being that convinced that Wolf is ready to take over.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For my money I would've replaced Ted after the implosion in Atlanta. He's obviously not doing enough to get us where we should be. We need a GM that can do what was done in Frisco in the 80's, Dallas in the 90's and NE since. Multiple superbowl wins (Ted failed), consistent playoff team (Ted has done this part) and a dominant dynasty (Ted failed). Is that Dorsey? I don't know. Is that Wolf? I don't know. Is that somebody else. Again I don't know, nor do I know who would be that guy.
And yet Thompson has had more success than 99% of GMs. The chances of our next GM being better than TT are very slim. The anti-TT crowd thinks winning a AN is as easy as deciding one day to do it. Just sign a couple of FAs and then make room in the trophy case.

D

Deleted member 6794

And yet Thompson has had more success than 99% of GMs. The chances of our next GM being better than TT are very slim. The anti-TT crowd thinks winning a AN is as easy as deciding one day to do it. Just sign a couple of FAs and then make room in the trophy case.

There's no doubt it's extremely tough to win a Super Bowl. It's pretty clear that mostly ignoring free agency and trades to upgrade obvious positions of need doesn't make it any easier though.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What leads you to believe the Packers seem reluctant to hire Wolf? I haven't heard anything coming out of 1265 Lombardi that ever mentioned anything like that.

Exactly, in fact I think the effort they have put forth just trying to retain him shows just the opposite of reluctance. I think they are intent on hiring him but the reason they haven't done it yet is that the job currently belongs to someone else and they are not going to fire him.

I believe it's more about Thompson being ready to step down rather than him being that convinced that Wolf is ready to take over.

Obviously he isn't going to step down before he is ready I just think his perception of Wolf's readiness may play into his decision as to whether he is ready or not.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ted has COLLAPSED the best O-Line in the league...TWICE. He is the ONLY GM to have a team go 15-1 in the regular season and lose a playoff game at home in their first playoff game. He has lost TWO NFC Championships in humiliating fashion. This is Titletown, USA not Verygoodville, or Getstotheplayoffsland. We need an upgrade!

D

Deleted member 6794

Ted has COLLAPSED the best O-Line in the league...TWICE. He is the ONLY GM to have a team go 15-1 in the regular season and lose a playoff game at home in their first playoff game. He has lost TWO NFC Championships in humiliating fashion. This is Titletown, USA not Verygoodville, or Getstotheplayoffsland. We need an upgrade!

While Thompson is responsible for not adequately addressing several positions in need of an upgrade for too long over his tenure as the Packers general manager he definitely isn't the one mainly to blame for the playoff losses in 2011 and '14.

In addition the offensive line has mostly been a strength over the last 12 seasons with TT having a lot of success using mid-round draft picks on the unit.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my point is, there is likely no upgrade available. We already have the best. Most teams wish they had the potential for a NFCCG, let alone the super bowl victory.

I suppose you want to trade Rodgers as well. He did have that midseason slump. That lost our home field playoff advantage. You want to roll the dice and see if Hundly is an upgrade? Afterall this is titletown and not mediocretown . . .

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt it's extremely tough to win a Super Bowl. It's pretty clear that mostly ignoring free agency and trades to upgrade obvious positions of need doesn't make it any easier though.
You have to understand the M.O. of TT and why the Packers have played at such a high level for so long.

D

Deleted member 6794

my point is, there is likely no upgrade available. We already have the best. Most teams wish they had the potential for a NFCCG, let alone the super bowl victory.

There's no way Thompson should be considered the best general manager in the league. While a lot of teams would like to be as successful as the Packers have been over the past 12 years the ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl, not having the potential to.

You have to understand the M.O. of TT and why the Packers have played at such a high level for so long.

I understand Thompson's MO but just happen to not agree with it. Rodgers is the main reason the Packers have played at a high level over the past eight seasons though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand Thompson's MO but just happen to not agree with it. Rodgers is the main reason the Packers have played at a high level over the past eight seasons though.
I would expect Ted's MO to be different if Rodgers wasn't behind center. Would it work with say Romo? I heard on the radio earlier this week about the Packers explored trading Favre for Romo back when Parcells was in Dallas. If it were the 2005 off season, would be another reason for picking Rodgers in the draft.

EDIT: Cite

Last edited: