John Dorsey to take over for Ted Thompson?

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would a guy with a net worth of $100 million would want to trade the good life on his plush estate for a demanding 60-80 hour workweek as a position coach?

Why would he have a ranch/farm that he would plow on his tractor in the offseason when he was making $20 mil a year playing NFL football? People do what they like.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would he have a ranch/farm that he would plow on his tractor in the offseason when he was making $20 mil a year playing NFL football? People do what they like.
Exactly. Favre's his own guy. I think he's less motivated by money than many realize.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Similar to me heading into the office every day, when I have hundreds of dollars stashed away in bank accounts across the county.

Sky King

Reaction score
Playing was fun for him and so is working on his ranch/farm. Coaching requires long hours and months away from his beloved estate, wife, kids, grandkids, mom, friends, dog, and tractor.

He was the OC for the local high school team for a while but he gave that up. It certainly was not about money or he wouldn't have taken the job in the first place. Everything about his lifestyle and finances says, "No way" to coaching in the NFL.

I fully agree. He's doing what he likes and it does not include coaching.

D

Deleted member 6794

Murphy mentioned during a meeting with reporters on Wednesday that Thompson will remain the Packers general manager as long as he wants to continue to work. :rolleyes:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy mentioned during a meeting with reporters on Wednesday that Thompson will remain the Packers general manager as long as he wants to continue to work. :rolleyes:

Of course he's going to support him publicly.

If Murphy has any criticisms of TT, he's not going to call him out to everyone.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would anyone have an issue if Favre took over for TT in a few years as GM?
I have no problem at all with Favre taking over as GM - of the BEARS! lol.

It's almost getting to be like a good old boy's club in Green Bay. McCarthy, Capers, Thompson, it's like they all have tenure for life.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hompsons-the-g-m-as-long-as-he-wants-the-job/
Murphy said Wednesday that Thompson and McCarthy have a “great relationship” and described the team’s relationship with Thompson the same way. He also said that the ball is in Thompson’s court when it comes to when they’ll be looking for their next G.M.

“As long as he wants to continue to work, and he’s still doing a good job — and I think he still does a great job for us — we want him to continue to be our general manager,” Murphy said, via Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal. “At a point he decides he doesn’t want to do it anymore for whatever reason, then we would do a search.”

Potential Thompson replacements exist outside the organization and former Packer exec John Dorsey is available after being fired as the Chiefs General Manager last month. Murphy said he couldn’t answer whether Dorsey might rejoin the organization with a team spokesman making it clear that would be Thompson’s call along with everything else in the team’s football operations department.
This fits right in with what I've said in the past about TT being in charge of the decision. Of course, Murphy didn't give any hints as to when TT might make that call so it still could be at the end of this season. He's just clarifying that TT has the right.

As for the good old boys club, all three have shown that they can put it together to win a SB. IMO - teams near the top that change coaches more often go backward instead of forward.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hompsons-the-g-m-as-long-as-he-wants-the-job/
This fits right in with what I've said in the past about TT being in charge of the decision. Of course, Murphy didn't give any hints as to when TT might make that call so it still could be at the end of this season. He's just clarifying that TT has the right.

As for the good old boys club, all three have shown that they can put it together to win a SB. IMO - teams near the top that change coaches more often go backward instead of forward.
The fan posts on the story are comical. The Viking trolls out in full force. So glad I wasn't born 200 miles west of where I was. Fate smiled gloriously on me!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Of course he's going to support him publicly.

If Murphy has any criticisms of TT, he's not going to call him out to everyone.

While I agree with Murphy not publicly calling out Thompson it seems he doesn't hold him accountable for the defensive shortcomings over the past six seasons though.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced the Packers are headed in the right direction on the defensive side of the ball anytime soon though.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is allowed to stay as long as he wants? Why? No GM ( Minus hoodie) should get a lifetime contract. Maybe Murphy is just content to keep making a profit and that's that.

This organization has become stale.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is allowed to stay as long as he wants? Why? No GM ( Minus hoodie) should get a lifetime contract. Maybe Murphy is just content to keep making a profit and that's that.

This organization has become stale.

Was there more to the comment that the PFT article didn't mention because I didn't read anything that said TT has the job as long as he wants without the caveat and he’s still doing a good job which he really said. Of course it doesn't sound nearly as controversial when you bother to quote people correctly.

Like I said before and he said it again he sees things differently than a lot of fans do.

If Murphy didn't think TT has built a team capable of winning the SB I don't think he would keep him around after his contract ran out. I don't think he would fire him before but if he thought a change was due I think he would tell Ted he didn't plan on extending him and Ted would retire. People keep saying how the Packers brass is happy to keep things consistent and watch the money roll in. Do you have any idea how much more money would roll in if the team won a SB or two. If all they cared about was making the most money possible they would do whatever they thought they had to to accomplish it and since changing a GM who was not capable of getting the job done would be a step in that direction its obvious that Murphy thinks Ted can get the job done. If you have a GM that you think can get the job done why change?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was there more to the comment that the PFT article didn't mention because I didn't read anything that said TT has the job as long as he wants without the caveat and he’s still doing a good job which he really said. Of course it doesn't sound nearly as controversial when you bother to quote people correctly.

Like I said before and he said it again he sees things differently than a lot of fans do.

If Murphy didn't think TT has built a team capable of winning the SB I don't think he would keep him around after his contract ran out. I don't think he would fire him before but if he thought a change was due I think he would tell Ted he didn't plan on extending him and Ted would retire. People keep saying how the Packers brass is happy to keep things consistent and watch the money roll in. Do you have any idea how much more money would roll in if the team won a SB or two. If all they cared about was making the most money possible they would do whatever they thought they had to to accomplish it and since changing a GM who was not capable of getting the job done would be a step in that direction its obvious that Murphy thinks Ted can get the job done. If you have a GM that you think can get the job done why change?

Maybe Murphy realizes too that the Packers best chances to win another Super Bowl (2011 and 2014) were more doomed by bad play at bad times than the team TT built. Those teams easily good enough to win it all, but didn't put it together when they needed to.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers flirtation with winning a SB since their last one always reminds me of the old expression "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." I think we have an organization that knows that it is just inside the ring and is afraid that any change in the GM or coaches, could very well just as easily land them way off the mark. I keep hearing people say "Mark Murphy is settling, he doesn't push TT enough, etc." That may be the public persona that we see, but I can only think that both Murphy and TT, along with McCarthy talk a lot about what they need to do to finally get over that hump and some of that has to do with luck and injuries. While I am not always too excited about some of the moves TT makes or doesn't make, it's hard to argue that he hasn't done a pretty good job with the organization, that for too many years prior to Wolf and TT, couldn't even hit the broadside of a barn with high draft picks and failed trades.

Really my one and only pet peeve with TT has been his stubbornness to overly depend on his abilities to be able to draft and develop and not fully use Free agency and trades more often to address immediate needs. Maybe what he did in this offseason is a sign, that he has finally decided that if he wants another ring, he had to change his style just a bit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Murphy has done a masterful job of increasing the Packers revenue but he seems too complacent to make the most difficult decision as the team's president and hire a general manager on his own.

There's reason to question whether Thompson has done a good job on the defensive side of the ball since 2010 though.

Maybe Murphy realizes too that the Packers best chances to win another Super Bowl (2011 and 2014) were more doomed by bad play at bad times than the team TT built. Those teams easily good enough to win it all, but didn't put it together when they needed to.

The Packers had a terrible defense in 2011 that at some point was poised to doom the team at some point. While the 2014 squad was extremely close to making it to the Super Bowl it was the biggest weakness at inside linebacker everybody was well aware of entering the season that was mainly to blame for losing to Seattle.

Maybe what he did in this offseason is a sign, that he has finally decided that if he wants another ring, he had to change his style just a bit.

Once again, Thompson made some great moves on offense this offseason but didn't address the team's biggest weaknesses in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Once again, Thompson made some great moves on offense this offseason but didn't address the team's biggest weaknesses in free agency.

Agreed....but it's more than I expected him to do and maybe a sign he has loosened up a bit ;) I believe Cook was a valuable lesson (if he hadn't already learned it from Woodson and Peppers), that you can go out there and address a need with a FA. But you are right, he still hasn't fully addressed the needs (perceived by some of us) on defense at OLB, CB and possibly ILB. Hoping he played his hand correctly or makes a last minute move at one or more of those positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

But you are right, he still hasn't fully addressed the needs (perceived by some of us) on defense at OLB, CB and possibly ILB. Hoping he played his hand correctly or makes a last minute move at one or more of those positions.

Unfortunately Thompson mostly trying to address shortcomings on defense that way over the past six seasons hasn't worked out and I don't expect it to change in 2017.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts