John Dorsey to take over for Ted Thompson?

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've been critical of Thompson recently but I do like what he has done this off-season and the question remains has he done enough?

Time will tell but if the Packers can somehow get over the hump this year Thompson will come out smelling like roses when you consider the amount of cap rolled over too next season, the abillity to maneuver on Cobb and Matthews contracts, comp picks coming and the potential trade for Hundley who I believe will fetch at least a 2nd.

Things could set up real nicely here.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Why the hell not AmishMafia, Ted did that exact damn dumb thing in 2008, and it bit us in the *** for 2 years! Maybe we win another superbowl in 2019?
What happened from February through the first half of July 2008 was all Favre's doing. Thompson/McCarthy did their due diligence and responded accordingly. I still resent Favre for the way he treated the team during that timeframe.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Weird. I think we should have dumped Favre 3 years earlier. His constant whining and selfish attitude were a drag on the whole team. Towards the end, nearly the entire team despised him. Some even believe the reason he gave up in the NFCCG against the Giants was jist too spite the team. Why do you think he had his own locker room and didn't associate with any teammates? Because they all thought he was an ***hole, and it is difficult to win a SB let alone have your leader a complete ***hat to his teammates.

Had they gone with Rodgers earlier, I'm not sure if they would have won another SB, I just know he would not have thrown the game because he was cold, tired, and upset that his recent hissy fit with TT didn't get him his way.
I'm not sure that Rodgers was ready to play full time in 2005 or 2006. I do think that by that time, Favre was probably a locker room diva and likely a source of concern for coaching staff and mgmt which was counter productive to team aspirations. He still had considerable skill and it allowed McCarthy to bring along Rodgers without sacrificing wins. I don't blame Favre for losing to a very good Giants team in the NFCCG.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not also gloss over a notion that I've stated a few times over the years. Rodgers likely benefited greatly from watching Favre's failures more than his successes. We went from the INT king to the guy who strongly values the ball. Rodgers learned as much about how not to play from Favre as much as he learned how to play.

D

Deleted member 6794

The goal of the organization is to win a SB. The job of the GM is to put together players that has the potential to win it. If the Packers are a favorite to do it at the beginning of every season, that means that the "experts" in the media believe that the GM has assembled enough talent to do so.

Most teams would absolutely want a GM that positions their team to be a near-consensus SB contender each year. The coaching staff, players, and football gods have to make the rest happen.

The GM can't win SBs and can't lose NFCC games. He can only put them in position to play the game. The rest is generally out of his control until the following off-season.

I agree that the general manager is responsible for acquiring enough talent to compete for a Super Bowl. Unfortunately Thompson hasn't been completely up to that task over the past six seasons.

Even in 2014 when the Packers came extremely close to making it to facing the Patriots in Arizona it was ultimately the team's biggest weakness at inside linebacker, which everybody aside of TT was aware of, that mainly contributed to the team's downfall in the second half.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happened from February through the first half of July 2008 was all Favre's doing. Thompson/McCarthy did their due diligence and responded accordingly. I still resent Favre for the way he treated the team during that timeframe.

Us going 6-10 had nothing to do with February to July. Us not being able to win a playoff game until 2010, had nothing to do with what happened from early March actually until July '08.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weird. I think we should have dumped Favre 3 years earlier. His constant whining and selfish attitude were a drag on the whole team. Towards the end, nearly the entire team despised him. Some even believe the reason he gave up in the NFCCG against the Giants was jist too spite the team. Why do you think he had his own locker room and didn't associate with any teammates? Because they all thought he was an ***hole, and it is difficult to win a SB let alone have your leader a complete ***hat to his teammates.

Had they gone with Rodgers earlier, I'm not sure if they would have won another SB, I just know he would not have thrown the game because he was cold, tired, and upset that his recent hissy fit with TT didn't get him his way.

So the team went to the NFC Championship DESPITE Favre? We lost in Dallas after McCarthy changed from what was working, and once Rodgers went in went BACK to it, and we almost won the game, and that's Favre's fault too? Come on man!

D

Deleted member 6794

Us going 6-10 had nothing to do with February to July. Us not being able to win a playoff game until 2010, had nothing to do with what happened from early March actually until July '08.

The Packers went 6-10 in 2008 and lost the wild card game at Arizona the following season because the defense struggled.

There's no doubt it was the right move to stick with Rodgers and move on from Favre.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been critical of Thompson recently but I do like what he has done this off-season and the question remains has he done enough?
I really like the direction Thompson is going in, he had a good offseason. But I still think we're a year away, because I think Ted had put us in a hole. Another offseason like this, and I'll likely be optimistic again. I have high hopes for the offense this year though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really like the direction Thompson is going in, he had a good offseason. But I still think we're a year away, because I think Ted had put us in a hole. Another offseason like this, and I'll likely be optimistic again. I have high hopes for the offense this year though.

While Thompson made some really good moves this offseason he didn't adequately address the team's biggest weaknesses once again.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Thompson made some really good moves this offseason he didn't adequately address the team's biggest weaknesses once again.
That's my biggest gripe with Thompson. It seems like there's always some area that's weak that he is either unable, or unwilling, to do anything about. And those weaknesses often end up being fatal. This year he's left us a bit thin in a few spots.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That time frame was when the decision to switchover to Rodgers. It happened at that time because Favre told Thompson and McCarthy he was done. Thompson went out and drafted 2 QB's. Rodgers had his own failings in 2008. So did the rest of the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers had his own failings in 2008. So did the rest of the team.

While Rodgers for sure wasn't performing at an elite level in 2008 a lot of fans have forgotton that the Packers featured the fifth best scoring offense that season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While Rodgers for sure wasn't performing at an elite level in 2008 a lot of fans have forgotton that the Packers featured the fifth best scoring offense that season.
That season (and pre-season ridiculous drama) caused me a lot of angst. I hate those 6-10 type of years.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That time frame was when the decision to switchover to Rodgers. It happened at that time because Favre told Thompson and McCarthy he was done. Thompson went out and drafted 2 QB's. Rodgers had his own failings in 2008. So did the rest of the team.

So we got 2 years of sucky teams compared to where Favre went because Ted said 'I'll show you'. Very childish for a GM.

D

Deleted member 6794

So we got 2 years of sucky teams compared to where Favre went because Ted said 'I'll show you'. Very childish for a GM.

The Packers made the playoffs in the second season with Rodgers as the starting quarterback and won the Super Bowl the following year. It's truly ridiculous that any Packers fan still holds a grudge against Thompson for sticking with #12 in 2008.

In addition you seem to ignore that the Packers would have most likely lost Rodgers to another team by bringing back Favre that summer.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Complete lie.

TT actually said he could come back. Favre met with MM in a marathon meeting in which Favre threw a huge tantrum about how his feelings were so hurt because they didn't beg him to not retire. After several hours of the hissy fit MM and not TT finally said enough and told Brett he was no longer welcomed on the team. MM not TT.

Get over it. TT handled the matter with complete class and dignity. Favre was a complete ******* and I defy you to find a single person who was there with the Packers who will say otherwise.

I will add to that. I defy you to find anyone who knows TT and is not very impressed with his honesty, character, and his manner. Or anyone who was with the Packers at the time who did not side 100% On the side of TT. It was TT who took the brunt of the hatred and did not fire back with facts because it was in the best intrest of the Packers. It was TT who orchestrated the whole Favre come back with the # retirement, because he thought it was the best thing for the Packers.

It was Brett, meanwhile, who was calling other teams and offering advice on how to beat them. It was Brett who openly hoped the Bears would beat the Packers and k pick them out of the playoffs. It was Brett who joined the Vikings to stick it to the Packers.

Keep up you hatred of TT because of Brett if you want. But just because he was an iconic player for many years doesn't mean he wasn't a pathwtic cry baby lying piece of ****. And believe it or not, I have to hold back a few things about brett.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Complete lie.It was Brett, meanwhile, who was calling other teams and offering advice on how to beat them. It was Brett who openly hoped the Bears would beat the Packers and k pick them out of the playoffs.
This is the only thing that Brett did that kind of bugged me. Yes, he was a diva, he was a spoiled athlete, that never bothered me. I didn't even care that he went to the Vikings, it was probably his best shot at winning another Super Bowl. But the calling other teams offering tips on how to beat GB irritated me. Even though it was probably only human to have some resentment, even if he did cause most of the problems himself.

Nonetheless, it's water under the bridge, I don't hold anything against him. No harm, no foul. I've got better things to do than hold a grudge about it.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the only thing that Brett did that kind of bugged me. Yes, he was a diva, he was a spoiled athlete, that never bothered me. I didn't even care that he went to the Vikings, it was probably his best shot at winning another Super Bowl. But the calling other teams offering tips on how to beat irritated me. Even though it was probably only human to have some resentment, even if he did cause most of the problems himself.

Nonetheless, it's water under the bridge, I don't hold anything against him. No harm, no foul. I've got better things to do than hold a grudge about it.
I don't spend any time thinking or worrying about him. But it ****** me off to no end that people would ridicule TT for how he handled favre. These people are clueless to the facts.

As you said, it's water under the bridge, but that doesn't change the fact that Favre is a ******.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't spend any time thinking or worrying about him. But it ****** me off to no end that people would ridicule TT for how he handled favre. These people are clueless to the facts.

As you said, it's water under the bridge, but that doesn't change the fact that Favre is a ******.
I cringe at the thought of him ever becoming a coach or employee of our organization. He never matured as a human being imo. He's a constant 23 year old.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cringe at the thought of him ever becoming a coach or employee of our organization. He never matured as a human being imo. He's a constant 23 year old.
The guy who refused to help with Rodgers development thinks he has what it takes to coach? Doubt it.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Gutekunst has more years of experience scouting and has played and coached at the college level. Alonzo highsmith has more expe rience as well, and played in the nfl at very high level. Dorsey has significant more experience than wolf as well .

The only thing that us fans can really point to is his name. Wolf. Whose father was nearly as good as TT in the GM department. It's out of nostalgia that so many fans endorse him.

I will also state, player evaluations is a very small part of a GMs success. Most GMs fail due to inferior managerial skills than anything else. I see it in the engineering world often. A brilliant engineer gets promoted and fails because they only excell at nits and bolts and have poor leadership, organizational, communication, etc skills.

Remember when Holmgren left Seattle? There were many posters that wanted to have him as the president or GM. Brown's hire him in that capacity and he failed miserably. Just because he was successful as a coach, doesnt mean he would succeed in the front office. He was a very poor GM. He quickly realized he was in over his head and began planning his exit within a year.

I have no idea if Wolf will succeed at being a GM, and neither does any other poster here. Enjoy TT while we have him, chances are we will not find a better one.

Thompson is one
Yes, he may be better, but I think he is a better coach than a GM. NE had a 9 year haitus from SB wins. They even missed the playoffs a few time in his tenure despite playing in a fairly weak division. But just about every year over the past 7 or 8 seasons, the Packers are considered one of the most talented teams in the NFL. TT has done an excellent job of keeping them competitively talented over this period.

They've missed the playoffs a grand total of one ( 9-7 in 2002) time in the Brady era. They went 11-5 and missed with an average Cassell in 2008. Otherwise they've won the division 15 out of the last 17 (Counting the upcoming 2017 season) years. 9 straight division ( Again they're a lock to win the division this season) titles. 7 straight ( I'm calling it a foregone conclussion now) seasons in the AFCCG. Furthermore, they've been to 4 ( Won 2) SB's in the past ten seasons. Brady was a 2 point conversion away from tying the AFCCG ( With no oline) in a hostile environment ( 15).

D

Deleted member 6794

I highly doubt the Packers will ever entertain the thought of Favre becoming a coach in Green Bay.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Packers will ever entertain the thought of Favre becoming a coach in Green Bay.
I'll go a step further (though I mean no disrespect to Favre when I say this). I doubt that Favre will ever be a coach in the NFL, period. If he wants to get into management, he'd likely find himself in some sort of figurehead position.

Members online

Latest posts