Bo Melton was a teammate before he knew it...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Have to wonder how yesterdays game against Cleveland will effect Bo Melton's future as a Packer?

I like his potential, but that was a MAJOR Dud game for him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to wonder how yesterdays game against Cleveland will effect Bo Melton's future as a Packer?

I am biased for Heath. I just like the guy and he catches really well. But Dubose catches the ball very well also. Whereas Melton supposedly has the speed; I don't really see him as a deep threat as much as a guy that can get 15 or 20 yards down the field quickly and find the open hole. Which is really valuable. And last year he was hanging on to everything. Probably Love throwing to him will make a difference. Certainly a couple of those passes from Clifford were not on the money. I'll hate to see any of those 3 guys go.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am biased for Heath. I just like the guy and he catches really well. But Dubose catches the ball very well also. Whereas Melton supposedly has the speed; I don't really see him as a deep threat as much as a guy that can get 15 or 20 yards down the field quickly and find the open hole. Which is really valuable. And last year he was hanging on to everything. Probably Love throwing to him will make a difference. Certainly a couple of those passes from Clifford were not on the money. I'll hate to see any of those 3 guys go.
But Dubois wasn't having a problem with Cliffords passes.

Suspect it was just a bad day for him and Melton will be fine.

Maybe we end up trading one of these guys. There are so many good young receivers recently, not sure what the trade value is.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Dubois wasn't having a problem with Cliffords passes.

Suspect it was just a bad day for him and Melton will be fine.

Maybe we end up trading one of these guys. There are so many good young receivers recently, not sure what the trade value is.

Likely scenario if you move a Dubose, Melton or Heath you're getting at most a mid level Day3 and that could very well be a 7th with the chance of raising to 6th or 5th if you can talk a team into conditionals.

Personally what I'd love to see is a swap of guys.....similar to like when we moved Randall knowing we were heading towards a splitting of ways anyways, we brought back a dice roll in Deshone Kizer just to see if anything was there. IF we move one, would love to see Gute bring back a iOL or maybe even a more potent competition for the TE3 role which seems to have stagnated from what I've gathered (Sims is not progressing like many hoped).

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Melton will be on the team, he's too good to cut. It'll be him and Dubose as the 5 and 6. Malik Heath is the odd man out

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Melton will be on the team, he's too good to cut. It'll be him and Dubose as the 5 and 6. Malik Heath is the odd man out
I think this is also more likely a possibility than Melton getting cut. Heath's skills are easier to replace than Melton's skills.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Barring an injury at WR, you have 4 pretty much "locks" to make the 53.

In no particular order:

1. Doubs
2. Reed
3. Watson
4. Wicks

So that leaves these guys fighting for 2-3 spots. I do think because of all the young talent at WR, there is an outside chance at keeping 7, but I'm leaning towards 6.

1. Heath
2. Melton
3. DuBose
--------------------------------------------------
4. Toure
5. Hicks
6. Wayne
7. Stanley

I doubt trading any of the 3 that are fighting for the final spots will garner much in the way of draft picks. I do like @tynimiller idea of trading one for another player with a team that has the same "problem" at a position that the Packers need more depth at.

Otherwise, you keep the 2 best and hope you can slide the 3rd to the PS.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barring an injury at WR, you have 4 pretty much "locks" to make the 53.

In no particular order:

1. Doubs
2. Reed
3. Watson
4. Wicks

So that leaves these guys fighting for 2-3 spots. I do think because of all the young talent at WR, there is an outside chance at keeping 7, but I'm leaning towards 6.

1. Heath
2. Melton
3. DuBose
--------------------------------------------------
4. Toure
5. Hicks
6. Wayne
7. Stanley

I doubt trading any of the 3 that are fighting for the final spots will garner much in the way of draft picks. I do like @tynimiller idea of trading one for another player with a team that has the same "problem" at a position that the Packers need more depth at.

Otherwise, you keep the 2 best and hope you can slide the 3rd to the PS.

I fall into the rare camp it seems here that Heath is WR5 right now and did not lose it to Melton last year. Heath does more things than Melton does, now granted Melton brings a speed to the table only Watson rivals...but still.

I think we either keep 6 or you will see Melton, DuBose, Toure, Wayne, Stanley all go to waivers and we will hope to keep two or three of them in house via PS.

Personally, I just want us to hang on to one of Melton, DuBose and Toure....I think all three can be inserted in should injury happen and us not miss a beat too much - Toure has quietly always just done his role, slightly overachieved it even and goes unnoticed. Don't be shocked if we keep 5 that it isn't Melton or Heath or DuBose's name that we see listed as the 5th.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that whether or not the Packers keep 7 WRs is a tough call. There are a lot of positions with depth that may warrant an extra roster spot:
* QB - can we sneak Pratt onto the practice squad without losing him to another team?
* Safety - with a lot of youth and virtually nobody with snaps for GB, we will be maxing out rosters spots at safety as well
* DL - switching to a 4-3, we will need all of these guys too
* RB - Jacobs, Dillon, Lloyd....how do we cut Emanuel Wilson? He will absolutely get picked up by another team

I'm probably missing a position too. We have a great problem of too many good players.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that whether or not the Packers keep 7 WRs is a tough call. There are a lot of positions with depth that may warrant an extra roster spot:
* QB - can we sneak Pratt onto the practice squad without losing him to another team?
* Safety - with a lot of youth and virtually nobody with snaps for GB, we will be maxing out rosters spots at safety as well
* DL - switching to a 4-3, we will need all of these guys too
* RB - Jacobs, Dillon, Lloyd....how do we cut Emanuel Wilson? He will absolutely get picked up by another team

I'm probably missing a position too. We have a great problem of too many good players.

The one kicker is though we have two very good receiving TEs, which is why I personally think I would be shocked to see us use 7 spots on the roster on the one position group.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
QB - can we sneak Pratt onto the practice squad without losing him to another team?

I liked what I saw of Pratt on Saturday, so it will be interesting to see how the next 2 preseason games go for both guys. They may end up having a better chance at safely sliding Clifford to the PS. We also have to remember that most teams have 4 or more QB's in camp right now, hoping they can get 1 of them on their own PS. Maybe they need to work both QB's at other positions, make sure 1 of them isn't the next Taysom Hill! ;)

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll be 6 kept on the 53 at wr...the group will be:

Christian Watson
Romeo Doubs
Jayden Reed
Dontayvion Wicks
Bo Melton
Grant Dubose

A young explosive and diverse wr room will be a strength of the 2024 Green Bay Packers. You cant cover em all

Members online

Latest posts