John Dorsey to take over for Ted Thompson?

H

HardRightEdge

I guess Dorsey and Reid did not see eye to eye. Reid wins...and gets a contract extension.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could easily see Dorsey being the next GM of the Packers but I don't think the Packers would ditch Ted Thompson. If the interest is mutual something would be worked out where Dorsey just sits back and plays golf on the Chiefs dime (I'm assuming if he was fired he gets to collect the remaining part of his contract or they bought him out) until Teds deal runs out and Ted steps aside. Either that or they bring him in in some capacity as a consultant to let him wait it out. maybe Wolf goes to KC as their new GM and Dorsey takes his spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was absolutely shocked to learn the Chiefs had fired Dorsey. I expect him to be on the short list of candidates to replace Thompson when he decides to step down.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which "bold move" free agents did Dorsey go out and get this spring? Benny Logan and C.J. Spiller :(. KC hasn't had a #1 WR in over 10 years... Dwayne Bowe played that role but might've been a solid #2 if Dorsey would've found a #1 along the way.

IMHO Wolf is the future, not Dorsey who is too similar (conservative approach) to TT.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Which "bold move" free agents did Dorsey go out and get this spring? Benny Logan and C.J. Spiller :(. KC hasn't had a #1 WR in over 10 years... Dwayne Bowe played that role but might've been a solid #2 if Dorsey would've found a #1 along the way.

IMHO Wolf is the future, not Dorsey who is too similar (conservative approach) to TT.

He couldn't make any "bold moves" as far as free agency this spring as the Chiefs cap situation is maxed out. They had to release Maclin and there still over the cap for next season. I think the willingness to trade up to go get Mahomes in the draft shows he is willing to make "bold moves".

The bottom line is Dorsey is a winner and he won with Alex Smith. Could you imagine the Packers with Alex Smith? He built a very good defense and aquired a lot of talent . He had a record of 43-21 with Chiefs and doing that with Alex Smith makes that record pretty remarkable for me. He also did it competing in the tougher AFC West.

If Dorsey could build a similar defense in Green Bay the Packer very well could become unbeatable.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems Dorsey did a heck of a job in Kansas City though compiling a 43-21 record over four seasons after talking over a team that won only two games a year earlier.

D

Deleted member 6794

He couldn't make any "bold moves" as far as free agency this spring as the Chiefs cap situation is maxed out. They had to release Maclin and there still over the cap for next season. I think the willingness to trade up to go get Mahomes in the draft shows he is willing to make "bold moves".

To be fair, Dorsey is responsible for the Chiefs having salary cap issues though.

H

HardRightEdge

In year 1, Dorsey replaced 30-some names on the roster. That was bold and impressive given the results.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It seems Dorsey did a heck of a job in Kansas City though compiling a 43-21 record over four seasons after talking over a team that won only two games a year earlier.

I dont care. You give him the Packers cap situation and all the draft picks coming up along with the Hundley trade possibilities and he will kill it. The Packers will become dominant.

I currently live in Kansas City and people are absolutely floored here. Chiefs fans know what it's like to lose and they know there heading back there most likely.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I was wondering about is, didn't Dorsey hire Reid? Kinda weird to think that Reid might be instrumental is getting Dorsey out stead. I tend to agree with others that it was more of a $ thing.

As for if he would be the next GM. He would probably be in contention on the surface but the Elliot Wolf promotions have all the ear marks of trying to keep Wolf happy until TT retires. JMO

H

HardRightEdge

The only thing I was wondering about is, didn't Dorsey hire Reid? Kinda weird to think that Reid might be instrumental is getting Dorsey out stead. I tend to agree with others that it was more of a $ thing.
Nope. Andy Reid was hired first. Scott Pioli, Dorsey's predecessor, was fired on that same day. Dorsey was interviewed the next day and hired about a week later.

I'm aware of two coaches who are widely believed to carry more clout than their GMs: Reid and Carroll. There might be others. In these cases, the relationship with the GM regarding personnel decisions is often described using terms like "collaborative", but it is believed both Reid and Carroll have at least veto power on personnel decisions.

Was the key issue the handling of the cap? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe Dorsey cut Macklin without consulting Reid first. Maybe we'll find out more later. I think it's safe to say that if Dorsey had Reid's vote of confidence he would not have been fired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
From
While we may never know the exact reasoning outside of just rumors, there are a number of factors that may have shown the writing on the wall leading up to the departure.
The biggest factor that led to Dorsey’s departure most likely centered around the way the Chiefs managed the cap over the last four years. Its mishandling caused a number of the recent controversial decisions in cutting Jeremy Maclin and Jamaal Charles.
Dorsey started his tenure by signing receiver Dwayne Bowe to a long-term contract, followed by quarterback Alex Smith. He then opted to franchise Justin Houston and Eric Berry for one year, only to end up signing them for much more money the following year. If Dorsey had been more ahead of the curve with these cap decisions, the Chiefs could have more room to keep the likes of Maclin, Charles and Dontari Poe. The consistent lack of space left the Chiefs with very few options in free agency and forced them to make some tough cuts.
Looks like a contract situation:
Just like Reid, Dorsey was entering the final year of a five-year contract. But unlike his close friend, he was informed by Hunt that his contract would not be extended. So the two agreed to part ways now rather than wait until next offseason, leaving a significant void in the front office.
Hunt's letter to season ticket holders.

H

HardRightEdge

From

Looks like a contract situation:

Hunt's letter to season ticket holders.
Charles was released 4 months ago after serial knee issues. Anybody would have made that decision. Poe signed with the Falcons over 3 months ago. Franchising guys and paying more later with the cap rising in big chunks each year is an occupational hazard. I doubt these were deciding factors. Macklin, maybe, as adverse factors accumulated. Or perhaps the OTAs did not inspire confidence in the rookie class or the holdovers filling the gaps. Whatever it was, it was not to Reid's liking.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dorsey is going to find a job long before TT retires. Shocked the Chiefs went this route. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
because they have a lot of guys worth paying. It's not like they are giving $10M to an average slot receiver, or even more to a 5 sack per year pass rusher.

That's exactly right. They have one of if not the most talented roster in the NFL from top to bottom. I posted about this several months ago but if you put Aaron Rodgers on that team it would be game over.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dorsey is going to find a job long before TT retires. Shocked the Chiefs went this route. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If he wants one sure but he will be getting paid for this season and I really doubt any team who hasn't already fired their GM after last year will fire him now just because Dorsey has become available (of course I didn't expect the Chiefs to fire him) so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he just sits back and collects his paycheck and waits for things to shake out. That leaves 1 year for Dorsey to wait until Ted's contract is up after the 2018 season. If he is interested in the Packers and the Packers are interested in him I could easily see Ted stepping down after this season making way for Dorsey. I don't know what it is but something just tells me part of the reason TT is sticking around is that he is not satisfied with any potential replacements. That could mean he doesn't think Wolf is ready or maybe even that he doesn't think Wolf is the man for the job. Perhaps, with Dorsey now being available Ted may feel that a viable replacement is out there and he may step down.

If the Packers are seriously interested in Dorsey I doubt Wolf will stick around and I wouldn't blame him for leaving so its possible the Packers bring Dorsey in some capacity for a year if Ted wants to finish out his contract. It will be interesting to see if one of the outside avenues the Chiefs will consider to fill the vacancy runs through Green Bay (Elliot Wolf) and if the Packers were to allow an interview what would that say about their interest in Dorsey.

I don't really expect Dorsey to be the GM for anyone for this season however unless some team fires their coaching staff midway through the season. If he does sit out the year it will be interesting to see how many teams that might not have fired their GM after 2017 will do so just because he is out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I dont care. You give him the Packers cap situation and all the draft picks coming up along with the Hundley trade possibilities and he will kill it. The Packers will become dominant.

I currently live in Kansas City and people are absolutely floored here. Chiefs fans know what it's like to lose and they know there heading back there most likely.

It seems like you completely missed that I was impressed with the way Dorsey turned around the Chiefs in a short time but on the other hand he mishandled their cap situation.

D

Deleted member 6794

because they have a lot of guys worth paying. It's not like they are giving $10M to an average slot receiver, or even more to a 5 sack per year pass rusher.

That's exactly right. They have one of if not the most talented roster in the NFL from top to bottom. I posted about this several months ago but if you put Aaron Rodgers on that team it would be game over.

The Chiefs might have a talented roster but their cap situation is bleak. While they have gained some space by releasing players this offseason they have already committed $179.8 million towards the cap in 2018, a number that is already higher than the projected cap of $178 million for that year.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Chiefs might have a talented roster but their cap situation is bleak. While they have gained some space by releasing players this offseason they have already committed $179.8 million towards the cap in 2018, a number that is already higher than the projected cap of $178 million for that year.

Some say Dorsey didn't want to give Berry all that money and that is one of the reasons he is no longer there. If you look at Dorsey's last 3 drafts he has killed it and keeps the roster injected with young talent.

Regardless, I would rather have someone going all in and "managing the cap" at the cap limit with a loaded roster then trying to win a Super Bowl 20 plus million under the cap like Thompson is attempting.

Anyone can look at KC's roster and tell there is one reason that team probably won't win a Super Bowl and his name is Alex Smith.