Free Agency: TE's

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd love Hunter, but the more I think about it, the more I don't see TT using #27 on him. He definitely won't make it to the us in the 2nd. As time goes on, I really like the potential of us grabbing Vannett though.

I like Henry, but if Vannett drops to the Packers in the 3rd round, I would be more excited with that then using our #1 on Henry. Most mocks show Vannett going in the 3rd, but with a weak TE draft, will he still be there when the Packers pick? This might be one of those times that TT gets creative and trades to get an earlier pick in the 3rd to grab him.

Sky King

Reaction score
OK, so tell me, what are your expectation for a rookie sixth round draft pick? Because the only REALISTIC expectations for a sixth round pick is potential camp body and most likely practice squad player.
Well, I guess I could disagree and engage you in a pointless debate (since you clearly stated your position above anyway) or I could agree with with you and we'd both be wrong. I'll pass.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ladarius green would be a nice addition in free agency or in the draft jerrell Adams te South Carolina who is supposedly a bit faster than green

D

Deleted member 6794

Ladarius green would be a nice addition in free agency or in the draft jerrell Adams te South Carolina who is supposedly a bit faster than green

Adams is one of the fastest tight ends in the draft but isn´t projected to run faster than Green.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I guess I could disagree and engage you in a pointless debate (since you clearly stated your position above anyway) or I could agree with with you and we'd both be wrong. I'll pass.

I'm always all for definitions before debates. What's your position regarding expectations for a random 6th round choice?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm always all for definitions before debates. What's your position regarding expectations for a random 6th round choice?

Although you weren't asking me, I would say:

The optimist will always say: Tom Brady, Antonio Brown, Shannon Sharp, Greg Hardy, Mason Crosby.

The Realist will say: "Find me a guy that makes the team and contributes, with an eye to the future"

The Pessimist will say: "why bother, they rarely amount to much"

Personally, this year, I would be fine with using our 6th for the best college punter available.

D

Deleted member 6794

Personally, this year, I would be fine with using our 6th for the best college punter available.

Tom Hackett out of Utah is widely considered the best punter in this year´s draft but is projected to either be drafted in the fourth or fifth round.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tom Hackett out of Utah is widely considered the best punter in this year´s draft but is projected to either be drafted in the fourth or fifth round.

I know there is always debate on the importance of a Punter. Are they are worth spending a draft choice on? There is a steady supply of UDFA and FA Punters readily available, but then you are competing with every other teams to find the best one. I guess first, the Packers staff has to decide if enough is enough with Masthay and even want to pursue another option. Then depending on how serious they are, they will draft one or wait. I know most recent history doesn't bode well for the Packers, using a 3rd on BJ Sander in 2004....what looked to be the Punter of the future was a flop. Personally, I am done with Masthay and the excuses surrounding his still being a Packer. If Hackett looks like a player that will assure the Packers of having a solid punter in the coming years, I would be fine using a 5th on him, especially with 2 extra comp. picks. How many games have you watched where a punter truly changed the field position battle and how many of those games involved Masthay?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although you weren't asking me, I would say:

The optimist will always say: Tom Brady, Antonio Brown, Shannon Sharp, Greg Hardy, Mason Crosby.

The Realist will say: "Find me a guy that makes the team and contributes, with an eye to the future"

The Pessimist will say: "why bother, they rarely amount to much"

Good start, but I was trying to get the guy to define what HE thinks before denigrating what the other guy does - is he an optimist, realist, or pessimist? Hey, as long as we're here, how about you?

D

Deleted member 6794

I know there is always debate on the importance of a Punter. Are they are worth spending a draft choice on? There is a steady supply of UDFA and FA Punters readily available, but then you are competing with every other teams to find the best one. I guess first, the Packers staff has to decide if enough is enough with Masthay and even want to pursue another option. Then depending on how serious they are, they will draft one or wait. I know most recent history doesn't bode well for the Packers, using a 3rd on BJ Sander in 2004....what looked to be the Punter of the future was a flop. Personally, I am done with Masthay and the excuses surrounding his still being a Packer. If Hackett looks like a player that will assure the Packers of having a solid punter in the coming years, I would be fine using a 5th on him, especially with 2 extra comp. picks. How many games have you watched where a punter truly changed the field position battle and how many of those games involved Masthay?

I would be fine with the Packers spending a late-round draft pick on a punter as well. Masthay has shanked too many punts over the last two seasons for him to be returning next season IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wasn't a member of the forum at the time, but I remember reading negative comments when Crosby was drafted in the 6th back in 2007. People thought it was a wasted pick and its just as easy to find a kicker without "wasting a pick". Granted hindsight is 20/20 but Crosby has worked out pretty well. Just combing over the Packer draft history over the last 20 years, its hard to find a player who was drafted in the 6th or later that has had a greater impact on the Packers then Crosby has, except maybe Donald Driver.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wasn't a member of the forum at the time, but I remember reading negative comments when Crosby was drafted in the 6th back in 2007. People thought it was a wasted pick and its just as easy to find a kicker without "wasting a pick". Granted hindsight is 20/20 but Crosby has worked out pretty well. Just combing over the Packer draft history over the last 20 years, its hard to find a player who was drafted in the 6th or later that has had a greater impact on the Packers then Crosby has, except maybe Donald Driver.

I don´t think there´s any doubt Driver has had the greatest impact as a late-round pick for the Packers over the last 20 years. But overall I agree that most sixth- or seventh-rounders don´t have a huge impact and using one of those picks on a kicker or punter makes sense.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t think there´s any doubt Driver has had the greatest impact as a late-round pick for the Packers over the last 20 years. But overall I agree that most sixth- or seventh-rounders don´t have a huge impact and using one of those picks on a kicker or punter makes sense.
There are quite a few late round picks who have had significant impact on the Packers... here's my top 10 6th or 7th rounders in order of impact. Sorry if this hijacks the TE thread:
1. '99 - Donal Driver - WR - 7th pick in the 7th
2. '00 - Mark Tauscher - OT - 18th pick in the 7th
3. '07 - Mason Crosby - K - 19th pick in the 6th
4. '04 - Scott Wells - OC - 50th pick in the 7th
5. '04 - Corey Williams - DT - 14th pick in the 6th
6. '07 - Desmond Bishop - LB - 18th pick in the 6th
7. '10 - James Starks - RB - 24th pick in the 6th
8. '01 - David Martin - TE - 35th pick in the 6th
9. '06 - Johnny Jolly - DT - 14th pick in the 6th
Tie 10th - Matt Hasselbeck & Matt Flynn - just for their trade value after backing up HOF QB's.

Personally, I'd use that 6th rounder on a QB, OL or DL rather than on a punter.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's easy. I have none (expectations). Rather, I have hope.

Then why debate someone when they talk about realistic expectations for a 6th round choice. You said you could agree or disagree, but if you don't have any expectations, you shouldn't be in the conversation. However, if you'd expand on how much hope you have, it'd probably amount to the same thing.

Sky King

Reaction score
Then why debate someone when they talk about realistic expectations for a 6th round choice. You said you could agree or disagree, but if you don't have any expectations, you shouldn't be in the conversation. However, if you'd expand on how much hope you have, it'd probably amount to the same thing.

Why indeed. What debate are you referring to? (Note: the title of the thread.)

My apologies, but with all due respect I don't owe anyone else on this forum any explanations nor they to me. Sorry, it's nothing personal. Read my posts, or not, same as I read the posts of others, or not. Is that not the firm foundation of the forum: Exercising one's prerogative to do so (and also moderators that define the boundaries of civility and hold posters to them)?

It is my preference to state my opinion (or not) and leave it at that, if at all possible. Nothing personal with anyone. I'm not trying to convert anyone to THE single "correct" opinion (as though it's a fact) just because I claim it to be so. We have seen several wince-worthy debates on this forum over time. I don't even bother to read through those anymore. And I have no intention of initiating or participating in any of them deliberately. When somebody takes a position of absoluteness or are spoiling for a confrontation, beware. No good is bound to come from it.

My position has already been stated in this matter. That's what it is, like it or not. No more. No less. And why should anyone even care if I elaborate any further in the first place? Surely, my opinions shouldn't really matter all that much to anyone, especially to somebody who has already prefaced their opinion as being the one valid position to be accepted. There's nothing left to debate in such a circumstance, especially with that person -- except maybe for attempting to prevail in contest of stubborn self-righteousness? No thanks.

I'm sorry, but the Packers are not life and death for me despite having been a faithful fan through thick and thin for well over 50 years. And no feuds for me, especially with other Packer fans. That would soil the experience.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, now I understand. We just have very different opinions of how a sports forum works. My apologies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we could discuss FA TE's instead of debating debates? If nobody cares about FA TE's then this thread could fall to page 2 or 3...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, if he slims down he might look different.
He certainly looked to move better in college, I think the weight was somewhat planned, maybe by him to become a better blocker but it obviously didn't work and it affected his movement in the passing game. I hope he drops 30 too

Members online

Latest posts