Free Agency: TE's

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the following FA TE's would be sizable upgrades to RR & Quarless, and all have good size & speed:
- Ladarius Green
- Coby Fleener
- Josh Hill (edited and added after initial post)
- Zach Sudfeld (coming off of August ACL)

None performed up to expectations but that's more on their teams not utilizing their strengths. Would MM if they were in GB?

Really like Hunter Henry but would take our 1st rounder and think we could use an ILB or OT more with that pick.

Last edited:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the following FA TE's would be sizable upgrades to RR & Quarless, and all have good size & speed:
- Ladarius Green
- Coby Fleener

None performed up to expectations but that's more on their teams not utilizing their strengths. Would MM if they were in GB?

Really like Hunter Henry but would take our 1st rounder and think we could use an ILB or OT more with that pick.

If Coby wasn't always injured and didn't drop so many balls, I'd be all for bringing him in.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just brought something up that I hadn't even considered, and that's the idea of going after Jimmy Graham is the Seahawks don't retain him this offseason. It would be right in line with the 2 other big free agent signings (Wood and Peppers) TT has made in that it wouldn't factor into compensatory pick compensation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's healed, I think they keep him and get him integrated to their offense. If he's not, they let him go, and if he's not, how much value do we put on him? People can recover from that injury, and if he does, I think Seattle is prepared to keep him around. Otherwise why trade for him in the first place?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's healed, I think they keep him and get him integrated to their offense. If he's not, they let him go, and if he's not, how much value do we put on him? People can recover from that injury, and if he does, I think Seattle is prepared to keep him around. Otherwise why trade for him in the first place?

I'm not saying it's a good possibility, and yes they did give up quite a bit to get him. But, it wasn't working out even when he was healthy, it costs them nothing to release him, and they can use the cap savings to re-build that O-Line that is falling apart and could get worse if Okung isn't healthy and/or doesn't resign. Seeing what these TE's are signing for though, he'd more than likely price himself out of here anyways. I just thought it was an interesting idea regardless of how unlikely it may be.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If the Packers don't go FA route to bring in another TE, which is likely, I would like to see Hunter Henry as a Packer and if he is gone and Nick Vannett is available in the 3rd, I like his potential.

Call me a Badger Homer, but another guy that intrigues me is Tanner McEvoy. He would have to bulk up and learn how to block, but the guy does everything, he is 6' 6", has decent speed and can catch the ball. Obviously a late round and definitely a priority UDFA, but I think he will get drafted.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

A buddy of mine just brought something up that I hadn't even considered, and that's the idea of going after Jimmy Graham is the Seahawks don't retain him this offseason. It would be right in line with the 2 other big free agent signings (Wood and Peppers) TT has made in that it wouldn't factor into compensatory pick compensation.

This week John Schneider said on a Seattle radio show that he can't envision a scenario in which the Seahawks cut ties with Graham this offseason.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's a good possibility, and yes they did give up quite a bit to get him. But, it wasn't working out even when he was healthy, it costs them nothing to release him, and they can use the cap savings to re-build that O-Line that is falling apart and could get worse if Okung isn't healthy and/or doesn't resign. Seeing what these TE's are signing for though, he'd more than likely price himself out of here anyways. I just thought it was an interesting idea regardless of how unlikely it may be.
The 9 million in savings or whatever it was, is big that they get by releasing him, but i have to believe they factored that in when they initially brought him on board. That's why i'd be more concerned if they let him go. What do they know that we don't? But man, would a mostly healthy Graham be nice for this team.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me a Badger Homer, but another guy that intrigues me is Tanner McEvoy. He would have to bulk up and learn how to block, but the guy does everything, he is 6' 6", has decent speed and can catch the ball. Obviously a late round and definitely a priority UDFA, but I think he will get drafted.

You mean he does everything that a small guy who can't block does.;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You mean he does everything that a small guy who can't block does.;)

LOL.....well at 6' 6" he is hardly "small", but yes, he is definitely a weight room project at TE. Every once in awhile i look back at guys we took rounds 6-7 and barely remember who the heck they even were. McEvoy would possibly end up being the same, but I like his diversity and potential.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Joe Schobert, OLB is another Badger that could go just about anywhere in the draft from round 2 on. The guy is a beast at sacking QB's and making big plays for loss. But lacks bulk and some speed. Just like Chris Borland, his motor is always going, has a nose for the football and a high football IQ, so if he hits the weights, he could be one really good NFL linebacker for someone.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Ladarius Green
- Coby Fleener
- Josh Hill (edited and added after initial post)

Ladarius Green. the guy will be all of 26 next year and he's got all the prototypical measurables that teams want and he's proven he can do it, he just needs to be on a team that doesn't have Gates on it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ladarius Green. the guy will be all of 26 next year and he's got all the prototypical measurables that teams want and he's proven he can do it, he just needs to be on a team that doesn't have Gates on it.

Love the thought of Green on the Packers, but afraid his price tag will be too high.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$739,004 - RRodger's contract.

I think I know where you're going with this, but I couldn't help myself. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How high will the price tag be by standing pat at the position?

Better question for you: You are TT, put that hat on......."How much are you willing to pay for Green?" Clock ticking, I need an answer before the bidding starts. :D

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better question for you: You are TT, put that hat on......."How much are you willing to pay for Green?" Clock ticking, I need an answer before the bidding starts. :D

If you really want a guy, whatever it takes, whatever the market dictates. I've read that TT goes into FA with set numbers on guys, and won't budge over that. If the bidding gets wacky, fine. If it's the other extreme- refusing to at all go over his number- not so fine.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you really want a guy, whatever it takes, whatever the market dictates. I've read that TT goes into FA with set numbers on guys, and won't budge over that. If the bidding gets wacky, fine. If it's the other extreme- refusing to at all go over his number- not so fine.

Maybe after he retires/fired (*gulp*) TT will publish a book and share some of his spread sheets with us on how he has valued FA's during his tenure. It would be a fascinating read and even more fascinating to see it after the fact to see how he did. Maybe some stories on FA's he lost out on and why.

It would make sense that he has a spread sheet made up of FA's he covets and their approximate value to the Packers as probably do all the GM's. But take Green for an example, if TT has his value to the Packers at $7M where does he say "nahhh.....that is too much" $8M, $9M?" If you are correct and he has a line drawn in the sand, with no wiggle room, then I agree, he needs more flexibility, but how much?

But I am curious, how much would you pay Green?

I am wondering the same thing about Danny Trevathan, since I think he will be a FA that the Broncos may have to let walk.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wherever SD moves to, or stays at, I have to believe that building a competitive team is in the their best interest. Nothing puts butts in the seats like winning. GB is an anomaly in that regard, but for the rest of the league winning sells tickets. Winning gets new stadiums. Gates may have sold jerseys, but I think he'll more likely be available than Green. That's if Green is, what everyone else thinks he is. I haven't watched enough to know, but i just don't see how a team would let a good young guy go to keep a guy, that I think is almost done. Regardless of what city they want this team to be in the future.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe after he retires/fired (*gulp*) TT will publish a book and share some of his spread sheets with us on how he has valued FA's during his tenure. It would be a fascinating read and even more fascinating to see it after the fact to see how he did. Maybe some stories on FA's he lost out on and why.

It would make sense that he has a spread sheet made up of FA's he covets and their approximate value to the Packers as probably do all the GM's. But take Green for an example, if TT has his value to the Packers at $7M where does he say "nahhh.....that is too much" $8M, $9M?" If you are correct and he has a line drawn in the sand, with no wiggle room, then I agree, he needs more flexibility, but how much?

But I am curious, how much would you pay Green?

I am wondering the same thing about Danny Trevathan, since I think he will be a FA that the Broncos may have to let walk.

Just a wild guess, but I'd guess start at $8.5 M per for Green, 6M for Trevathan. A lot depends on how it's structured, especially guaranteed money.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think he went over last season when Oakland forced his hand with Richardson.

Members online

Latest posts