Free Agency: TE's

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the thought of Green on the Packers, but afraid his price tag will be too high.

If you want an impact player at the position then you need to be willing to pay for it. Greg Olsen averages $7.5 million per year and his deal is a little old. Charles Clay just signed a deal worth $7.6 million per year which is more up to date with the market for TEs, and he has known knee problems. So would it be terrible to sign the guy for a deal that averages $6-7 million per year (with maybe half guaranteed)? With the way the cap is going that would probably be an ok deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you want an impact player at the position then you need to be willing to pay for it. Greg Olsen averages $7.5 million per year and his deal is a little old. Charles Clay just signed a deal worth $7.6 million per year which is more up to date with the market for TEs, and he has known knee problems. So would it be terrible to sign the guy for a deal that averages $6-7 million per year (with maybe half guaranteed)? With the way the cap is going that would probably be an ok deal.

Green would probably be a deal at that, but I don't see him being signed for that cheap. Green will get paid what the market will bare, I just don't see TT's track record steering towards being the highest bidder. The Packers would probably have a better shot at signing Gates then Green, not that i am proposing that.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ladarius green 26 years old would be a quality pick up he's in the Finley mold and could have a break out season as a packer.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a wild guess, but I'd guess start at $8.5 M per for Green, 6M for Trevathan. A lot depends on how it's structured, especially guaranteed money.
That's what Ertz just signed for, $8.5Mil/yr. and it puts him #5 on the top-money-for-TE list behind Gronk, Thomas, Kelce & Graham. The Franchise Tag is expected to be around $9.053Mil . The next 8 highest paid TE's are between $7-$7.6Mil/yr., which is what Finley was making on his 2 yr/$15Mil deal in 2012/13. Is the TE position worth $7+Mil/yr. assuming Nelson comes back strong & the offense clicks as it had been?

I'm guessing that TT throws $$ at the defense and hopes that the offense returns to '14 levels. Defense wins games (apparently).

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're way more up on things at this point then I am, Pkrjones. IMO, to answer your question, if the TE can open things up and be an impact guy, yeah, he'd be worth it.

Sky King

Reaction score
There's no denying the man has talent. What a seam-stretcher this guy could be. But it's hardly the kind of move I would expect to see out of TT, not even for an up-and-comer who fills a need. I could see him drafting somebody to develop into this type of TE, somebody like a Bostic, and then hoping for the best 2-3 years down the road.

D

Deleted member 6794

I could see him drafting somebody to develop into this type of TE, somebody like a Bostic, and then hoping for the best 2-3 years down the road.

Kennard Backman already fits that description. The Packers need a guy capable of immediately starting in place of Rodgers at the position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kennard Backman already fits that description. The Packers need a guy capable of immediately starting in place of Rodgers at the position.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Kennard is the project with that ceiling potential some are not sure they've seen it to know exactly where it is. Hope he excels and does it but we need an above average offensive TE threat now...actually before now, like a year ago.

Sky King

Reaction score
So far, Backman is Bostic 2.o -- seen and not heard other than that ST gaffe. That play made me wonder how fast he is. He looked really slow trailing the runner on that fake play. It surprised me a bit because I had thought he was much faster than that. Anyone else notice that, too, or were my eyes deceiving me?

D

Deleted member 6794

So far, Backman is Bostic 2.o -- seen and not heard other than that ST gaffe. That play made me wonder how fast he is. He looked really slow trailing the runner on that fake play. It surprised me a bit because I had thought he was much faster than that. Anyone else notice that, too, or were my eyes deceiving me?

Backman is significantly faster than Rodgers but it seems like he isn´t ready to contribute in the NFL as of now. Losing contain on a fake punt for sure doesn´t help him climb the depth chart.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm curious to see what the new TE coach can do with the incumbents.

Angelichio has had a lot of success coaching tight ends in Cleveland but he won´t be able to make Rodgers any faster. We need someone at the position capable of stretching defenses.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What do people think about Coby Fleener? With both Fleener and Allen being FA's, I doubt the Colts sign both but lean towards trying to keep Fleener. He is 6' 6", faster they Richard Rodgers, had a productive 2014, but saw his numbers drop last year possibly due to the QB situation in Indy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Angelichio has had a lot of success coaching tight ends in Cleveland but he won´t be able to make Rodgers any faster. We need someone at the position capable of stretching defenses.

I hope Angelichio looks at RR and doesn't write him off though either. He has sure hands and as I've stated before his awareness to read defenses and find those shallow gaps (all the farther he can get to haha) is above average I'd say for his experience. Not too mention he and Aaron seem to have good chemistry. Short patterns he can do well with, block/shed and turn plays he can excel at as well. What he'll never do though is garner attention from the Defense which can be a weapon for short yardage pass plays to pick up 4-9 yards.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do people think about Coby Fleener? With both Fleener and Allen being FA's, I doubt the Colts sign both but lean towards trying to keep Fleener. He is 6' 6", faster they Richard Rodgers, had a productive 2014, but saw his numbers drop last year possibly due to the QB situation in Indy.

Fleener unable to excel with his college QB in a pass happy system worries me some. Is he better than our current options, I'd say yes. Is he worthy of discussing contract with, I'd say yes.

But I too would understand an organizations pause on him as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope Angelichio looks at RR and doesn't write him off though either. He has sure hands and as I've stated before his awareness to read defenses and find those shallow gaps (all the farther he can get to haha) is above average I'd say for his experience. Not too mention he and Aaron seem to have good chemistry. Short patterns he can do well with, block/shed and turn plays he can excel at as well. What he'll never do though is garner attention from the Defense which can be a weapon for short yardage pass plays to pick up 4-9 yards.

I´m absolutely fine with Rodgers as the Packers #2 tight end.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is he better than our current options, I'd say yes. Is he worthy of discussing contract with, I'd say yes.

But I too would understand an organizations pause on him as well.

These are all reasons I brought Fleener up and seeing him as a possible fit in GB.

1. Relatively young and good size
2. Athletic and good football IQ
3. Has some speed
4. Has shown some good things and IMO hasn't reached his potential
5. Maybe with the wrong team and needs a second chance
6. Won't be overly pricey

Biggest knock on him that I can find is having the case of the dropsies on occasion. Confidence can help take care of that.

His scouting report when he came out of college:

http://nflsfuture.com/2012/01/28/coby-fleener-scouting-report/

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Uhhmmm....he's a rookie sixth round pick. What exactly were you expecting out of him? Because I'm gonna guess that any disappointment you feel regarding Backman is more an issue of expectations rather than actual performance.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are all reasons I brought Fleener up and seeing him as a possible fit in GB.

1. Relatively young and good size
2. Athletic and good football IQ
3. Has some speed
4. Has shown some good things and IMO hasn't reached his potential
5. Maybe with the wrong team and needs a second chance
6. Won't be overly pricey

Biggest knock on him that I can find is having the case of the dropsies on occasion. Confidence can help take care of that.

His scouting report when he came out of college:

http://nflsfuture.com/2012/01/28/coby-fleener-scouting-report/

I wouldn't be shocked if Fleener is more expensive than Green. Fleener is a former second-round pick who has shown more on the field than Green. I actually think I would prefer the Packers look at a cheaper Green rather than Fleener.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhmmm....he's a rookie sixth round pick. What exactly were you expecting out of him? Because I'm gonna guess that any disappointment you feel regarding Backman is more an issue of expectations rather than actual performance.
I'm kind of excited to see what he can do. He had a rough camp I guess to start, and at the end what it was put up or shut up time, I remember him making some pretty good catches in the final couple pre-season games. Young, raw, but made some athletic catches. Low round pick, not likely to have a big immediate impact, even Finley took 2-3 seasons before we got to see some semblance of "consistency" (which I'd argue he never fully achieved) and he was a 3rd rounder I think. Not that i'm expecting Backmen to turn the league on it's head either next year, but he has some tools to grow into a nice player. But it doesn't happen overnight

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do think the coaches saw something in Backman. Enough to keep him on the roster and not risk losing him by trying to sneak him on the PS. Time will tell. But I do believe the time is now for our offense to have a more athletic receiving threat then what we saw in 2015.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't be shocked if Fleener is more expensive than Green. Fleener is a former second-round pick who has shown more on the field than Green. I actually think I would prefer the Packers look at a cheaper Green rather than Fleener.

While Green numbers haven´t been impressive you have to realize that he spent his entire career behind Antonio Gates on the depth chart. I would be surprised if Fleener ends up getting a better deal than Green.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with Captain. Most have Green rated ahead of Fleener. The things I like about both are their size, speed and their upside. I don't think either one of them has peaked and have some untapped potential. I think either would be nice signings for the Packers, but there will be other teams wanting them as well, including their own. Fleener may end up being the one the Packers have a more legitimate shot at signing when you factor in TT's "Spending habits".

Green also had ankle surgery at the end of the season, so I don't know how much that will effect his value.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Before you dismiss me hear me out on this.

It certainly would be nice if we could have someone who could stretch the defense but I don't know that we absolutely need someone. If the rest of our receivers can get back to the levels we thought they would be at prior to last year it makes the need at TE less and even though he is slow he catches the ball and is reliable. No doubt a Gronk or Kelce, or Olsen type would be a huge upgrade but those top receiving TE's are the top receiving threats in their offenses. Assuming we get Jordy and Cobb back to close to pre 2015 levels would that be the case in GB and if not would such a need at TE be as critical especially at the potential expense of upgrading a different position (LT or ILB for example)

If I could choose between the Packers receivers of 2014 and RR or the Packers WRs of 2015 and an unknown TE who could stretch the defense (Ladarius Green for example) I'd take the former in a heartbeat.

Since the return of the 2014 Packer WRs is far from a given I will say that it won't bother me at all if TT goes out and gets that defense stretching TE that everyone covets but in RR's defense I think his lack of speed and inability to break tackles was magnified by the overall pathetic performance of our passing game (WR, OLine and QB play as a whole.) If they make a few more plays his performance is not relied upon as much, his limitations are not as critical and his contributions are appreciated more.

As far as Green goes, I would love to see him in Green Bay he does not seem to be the type of guy that TT goes after. Maybe this year will be different. Think about it Ladarius, your last name is GREEN and its the GREEN Bay Packers. If that's not some serious destiny going on there, not to mention a good omen, I don't know what is.

Latest posts