Free Agency: TE's

D

Deleted member 6794

Ladarius Green is my first choice for a free agent TE, but if we can't sign him then
Jordan Cameron would be a nice option if he is cut by the Dolphins. He also
wouldn't count against the compensatory draft pick calculation.

Cameron could be a nice addition as well, especially with his former position coach in Cleveland, under whom he had a lot of success, now coaching the Packers tight ends.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cameron could be a nice addition as well, especially with his former position coach in Cleveland, under whom he had a lot of success, now coaching the Packers tight ends.
Didn't Cameron have at least 3 concussions in 2014? I'd be really nervous that another one or two force him into retirement.

D

Deleted member 6794

Didn't Cameron have at least 3 concussions in 2014? I'd be really nervous that another one or two force him into retirement.

True, he had three concussions during the 2013 and '14 seasons. He played in all 16 games last season for the first time in his career so I'm not sure the medical staff would be against bringing him in.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Bears are expected to cut TE Martelius Bennett per a report by NFL Network.

Bennett was one of only two tight ends in the league with 35+ receptions averaging less yards per catch than Rodgers in 2015.

Antonio Gates is expected to resign with the Chargers per the article below.
Hopefully that means they will allow Laderius Green to test free agency.

http://fansided.com/2016/02/20/nfl-rumors-antonio-gates-likely-staying-with-chargers/

The Chargers have enough cap space to re-sign Gates and Green so I still don't expect them to let him walk away in free agency.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chargers do have ample cap space, but have several holes to fill given they had
the 3rd worst record in the league last year. If they don't attempt to resign Gates, then
I think there is little chance Green will test free agency. However, with this news I
think there is a very good chance Green at least tests the market.

I didn't realize Bennett had such a poor 2015 season. However, his 2013 - 2014 seasons
were productive.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't realize Bennett had such a poor 2015 season. However, his 2013 - 2014 seasons
were productive.

It's true Bennett was productive from 2012-14 but I'm concerned about him struggling last season. And while he ran a faster 40-yard dash (4.68) at the combine than Rodgers he isn't lightning fast either and I'm not convinced he's the guy capable of stretching the field for the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As much as I would love to see Green or Fleener come to Green Bay, I just don't see it happening unless TT surprises us all and throws a crazy $$ amount at one of them.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't appear to me that the answer at TE is in FA. Sounds like the FO is hoping the new position coach can work a miracle with existing personnel and/or new talent can be had in the draft. I don't get much into draft speculation, but it'll be really interesting to see how it plays out.

D

Deleted member 6794

It doesn't appear to me that the answer at TE is in FA. Sounds like the FO is hoping the new position coach can work a miracle with existing personnel and/or new talent can be had in the draft. I don't get much into draft speculation, but it'll be really interesting to see how it plays out.

This year free agency is most likely the only way to significantly upgrade the tight end position as the draft class is terribly weak.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year free agency is most likely the only way to significantly upgrade the tight end position as the draft class is terribly weak.

I kinda disagree with saying terribly weak, it is true their is no "no doubter" creme de la creme but I see some solid potential, but true there is ZERO true 1st round quality, therefore I lean more to the go FA route....and hope Henry drops to you in the 2nd round haha (He isn't a bonafide either but at that spot would be solid)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It would take a pretty strong TE draft class, which the 2016 class isn't, to afford the Packers with a sure thing at the #27 pick. Henry is considered to be the #1 TE in the draft and there are some who think he may even slip into the second round. IMO if the Packers are looking for a game changer TE for the 2016 season it probably will have to come via a FA. Now if they are looking at taking another swing at a developmental TE without reaching, there will be some options in the draft.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do any of these FA TE's make you stop and interject "Thats our guy!"? With how bad Rodgers played last year, it's easy to see anyone has some level of upgrade, but that doesn't exactly make them the answer. The only one to get excited about it is the San Diego guy, but it would seem highly unlikely that SD would let him get away.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay everyone ******* RR saying he had a terrible year, you have to keep things in perspective. For the type of guy he is, his skillset and all...he honestly did well. It just isn't the type of TE a high Octane Offense and QB needs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay everyone ******* RR saying he had a terrible year, you have to keep things in perspective. For the type of guy he is, his skillset and all...he honestly did well. It just isn't the type of TE a high Octane Offense and QB needs.
heading towards 60 catches and 8 TD's, his yardage wasn't great, that's for sure, but again, pretty much every pass catcher on GB's team was down in the YPC department last year. With a functioning offense around him, i bet he's up over 10 and moving into the 11 yards per catch range, tack on 50-60 catches and in the 8td range again and he looks pretty good. not Gronk good, but he'll never be that and i doubt we'll find one either.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do any of these FA TE's make you stop and interject "Thats our guy!"? With how bad Rodgers played last year, it's easy to see anyone has some level of upgrade, but that doesn't exactly make them the answer. The only one to get excited about it is the San Diego guy, but it would seem highly unlikely that SD would let him get away.

Ladarius Green would be my favourite target in free agency but don´t think the Chargers will let him walk away in free agency either. Coby Fleener would be a significant update over Rodgers IMO as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO Richard Rodgers is a decent #2 TE to have on your team. I think what I and other Packer fans are hoping for though is a #1 TE with more speed, separation and the ability to stretch the field more then we get from RR. Will the offense fail if we don't find that guy in 2016? Probably not, but close your eyes and imagine a Gronk, Kelce or Olson like player lining up in Green and Gold, that is what gets me excited.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure those guys get me excited, and they come along once every couple years. If we find one, I guess I don't care where he comes from, but most of these guys mentioned as possibilities aren't exactly puttin up much different production than a guy we already have. We do need someone else too, RR can't be the only guy that's used at the TE position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe James Jones could just put on 20lbs and play a hybrid TE spot for us...haha!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We do need someone else too, RR can't be the only guy that's used at the TE position.

Agreed, I don't think an opposing team sits down on Tuesday and says "Now we have to figure out how to defense Richard Rodgers, Quarles or Perillo. The position has been a glaring weakness since Finley went down and we can only hope TT addresses it in the best way possible this off season. We can't say that he hasn't thrown bodies at it, just none of them have fully worked out.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's pretty much the point. For a 3rd round choice to not even have a chance at being the TE they need sucks. The knock on him is, I think, that he's never going to be what we want at the position; not that he's had a bad year by his own standards.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts