Free Agency: ILB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My concern with trying to fill the starting ILB position(s) through the draft is, will that player be an immediate impact? Maybe there will be a guy at #27 that can be as good as some of the options at the position in Free Agency, but chances are it will be a year or 2 before we see that impact out of a #27 ILB draft pick. So IMO, the Packers #1 team need is at ILB and I would rather see them find that player in the FA market and use their first pick on a TE or LT.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concern with trying to fill the starting ILB position(s) through the draft is, will that player be an immediate impact? Maybe there will be a guy at #27 that can be as good as some of the options at the position in Free Agency, but chances are it will be a year or 2 before we see that impact out of a #27 ILB draft pick. So IMO, the Packers #1 team need is at ILB and I would rather see them find that player in the FA market and use their first pick on a TE or LT.

Sad fact though is the style of ILB we need is limited in the FA market for a "proven" one either. There are a couple that I agree would be up and running (no pun intended) quicker than a rookie....however, an athletic quick step ILB drafted to me if they play packages where pass is expected and some games perhaps that means just on 3rd downs I see that already as a HUGE upgrade. Honestly, against some teams our guys now can hold the fort as we saw this year...it is those teams that run a bunch of TE routes or have that scat RB that kill us....I do think Ryan will be better in some coverages as the game slows but he still should never be expected to be our best ILB in coverage.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mostly agree with your post but don't see the need for the Packers to draft a left tackle in the first round.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mostly agree with your post but don't see the need for the Packers to draft a left tackle in the first round.

Only way I am going with a LT in first round is if they are a bonafide best one in the draft and falls to us. Would mean bye bye to Bahk negotiations and save money in the future....but would do nothing for the next season which is why I want a TE or ILB (and a late rounder on a potential ILB)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed, was just throwing those two positions out there as positions of need (but less then ILB) and maybe a higher probability of finding a guy that doesn't have to be Pro Bowl his first year to improve the team. I feel strongly that we NEED that kind of player at ILB.

If you asked me today, my dream scenario would be to sign a solid FA starter at ILB, use the #1 on Hunter Henry and our #2 on a promising LT. But that is today and all that goes out the window with the slightest breeze LOL

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that's true in the run game where a good nose tackle can keep linemen off the linebackers it doesn't help an ILB cover RBs and TEs.

BTW I took a look at Trevathan's numbers from his pro day (he didn't run at the combine) and he pulled his hamstring on his first 40 yards dash, so the slow time doesn't mean a whole lot.

The NT DOES have an effect on the linebacker's ability to cover. An effective NT would allow the Packers to play a lighter guy inside at linebacker, similar to the Cardinals moving a safety to play ILB. The deficiency at NT has a fairly profound effect on the front seven in a 3-4 defense. A weak NT forces the team to play bigger linebackers that can better fight off olinemen since the dline isn't keeping the linebackers free.

D

Deleted member 6794

The NT DOES have an effect on the linebacker's ability to cover. An effective NT would allow the Packers to play a lighter guy inside at linebacker, similar to the Cardinals moving a safety to play ILB.

While that might be true (although I don't agree with it) in some situations it's for sure not on obvious passing downs. The Packers have already used their best coverage ILB on passing plays but unfortunately didn't have a player capable of consistently covering RBs and TEs.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad fact though is the style of ILB we need is limited in the FA market for a "proven" one either. There are a couple that I agree would be up and running (no pun intended) quicker than a rookie....however, an athletic quick step ILB drafted to me if they play packages where pass is expected and some games perhaps that means just on 3rd downs I see that already as a HUGE upgrade. Honestly, against some teams our guys now can hold the fort as we saw this year...it is those teams that run a bunch of TE routes or have that scat RB that kill us....I do think Ryan will be better in some coverages as the game slows but he still should never be expected to be our best ILB in coverage.

Without diving into it too deep, it does seem like this is a better FA class for ILB than last year at least. Of course, some of these guys might be off the market before March.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, considering the Packers offered Raji $8 million per season not long ago that seems like a bargain.

My thoughts exactly. And if he can solidify the D-Line and in turn help make the ILB's we currently do have better plus take a need off the board then IMO this is a VERY small price to pay to bring him in.

D

Deleted member 6794

My thoughts exactly. And if he can solidify the D-Line and in turn help make the ILB's we currently do have better plus take a need off the board then IMO this is a VERY small price to pay to bring him in.

A better nose tackle may cover up for some deficiencies of the inside linebackers in the run game the position would still be in need of a major upgrade, especially with someone being able to cover RBs and TEs.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A better nose tackle may cover up for some deficiencies of the inside linebackers in the run game the position would still be in need of a major upgrade, especially with someone being able to cover RBs and TEs.

I would agree but my point is, a young, quality NT that can take a need off the offseason list and solidify a D-line that judging by early mock drafts a lot of people see as a weakness, for that price is a must this offseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would agree but my point is, a young, quality NT that can take a need off the offseason list and solidify a D-line that judging by early mock drafts a lot of people see as a weakness, for that price is a must this offseason.

The Packers for sure will have to make a move at nose tackle, it´s possible Thompson is content with re-signing Raji though.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Man him and Danny T in FA would be AWESOME!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said it in another thread, but I'll ask again. Did anyone else see Danny T trailing RB's out of the backfield and unable to make any plays in the passing game? We have that already don't we?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LT is a position we need to look at in FA IMO. I'm tired of seeing these young guys (rookies) step in at LT for us. Go out and sign a semi-proven veteran at the position and lets roll.

I think LT and ILB are two positions we look at in FA (assuming TT does look into FA) - Which he might, due to MM's apparent unhappiness.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said it in another thread, but I'll ask again. Did anyone else see Danny T trailing RB's out of the backfield and unable to make any plays in the passing game? We have that already don't we?

That was James White. A 4.4 40 RB at the combine with WR skills out of the backfield. Not every team out there has Shane Vereens, Darren Sproles and Danny Woodhead types. No ILB in the league can cover these guys consistently out in space.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LT is a position we need to look at in FA IMO. I'm tired of seeing these young guys (rookies) step in at LT for us. Go out and sign a semi-proven veteran at the position and lets roll.

I think LT and ILB are two positions we look at in FA (assuming TT does look into FA) - Which he might, due to MM's apparent unhappiness.

Bahktiari only allowed 3 sacks this year, 3rd fewest in the NFL for LT's. He's 24, and played hurt all year. I just don't see the need to go get a LT unless it's for depth purposes only. Bahktiari has his issues with penalties no question but I'll live with that as long as he keeps Aaron upright. The numbers support he's one of the best at that so I just don't see a need at LT.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Articles like this one make me believe Ace is correct in our LT Position, at least how TT will view the need. Personally, there were times when Bahk looked to be struggling out there, but then again, he was playing with injuries it seemed like most of the year. I don't want to see an O-lineman picked early in the draft, but there definitely needs to be some attention given to it in either FA or the draft, if for nothing but depth and the future.

http://thepackerholic.com/green-bay-packers-2015-review-david-bakhtiari/

D

Deleted member 6794

After taking a look at the game tape of the Broncos game against the Patriots I agree that Trevathan occasionally allows RBs or TEs too much separation but it´s not true that he didn´t make any plays in the passing game. I have to admit that Brandon Marshall is the Broncos better ILB in coverage though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Articles like this one make me believe Ace is correct in our LT Position, at least how TT will view the need. Personally, there were times when Bahk looked to be struggling out there, but then again, he was playing with injuries it seemed like most of the year. I don't want to see an O-lineman picked early in the draft, but there definitely needs to be some attention given to it in either FA or the draft, if for nothing but depth and the future.

http://thepackerholic.com/green-bay-packers-2015-review-david-bakhtiari/

Bakhtiari is fine in pass protection, which is the most important thing protecting Rodgers´ blind side, but he has to improve as a run blocker.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After taking a look at the game tape of the Broncos game against the Patriots I agree that Trevathan occasionally allows RBs or TEs too much separation but it´s not true that he didn´t make any plays in the passing game. I have to admit that Brandon Marshall is the Broncos better ILB in coverage though.
I watched that game as well and specifically their linebackers and concluded the same things. Because of it, I see Denver letting Trevathan walk before Marshall and I don't see any way they don't keep Miller.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There aren't many scatback/3rd down type backs in the league with James White's skill set. He was a WR in College in his early years. Runs a 4.4. So you're talking about a very very exclusive RB here with a WR skill set. There aren't many like him in the NFL. So I don't think its fair to compare an ILB's pass coverage skills when guarding him. There are only so many Vereens, Sproles, Woodheads and Whites out there. No NFL ILB can consistently cover these guys.......

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts