Free Agency: ILB

D

Deleted member 6794

Not a done deal. But I hope it happens and the only way they can do it will be to bring in at least 1 if not 2 suitable replacements. I don't see a player picked 27th or beyond in the draft as capable of doing this right away. But do see going after a big name FA ILB to complete the move.

Eric Kendricks, who some of us badly wanted the Packers to draft, had a nice rookie season.

I'm hoping for a Demario Davis signing

Davis isn´t any better than Barrington or Ryan, don´t like the idea at all.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis isn´t any better than Barrington or Ryan, don´t like the idea at all.

What are you basing this off of?

Demario Davis literally scored better/equal to those two. And not by a little.

3/10 of second faster in the 40 than Barrington and almost 1/10 faster than Ryan.
12 more reps on the bench than both.
6" of vertical than both
7" of broad jump than both

The only comparable was 60 yard shuttle which was even.

Tackles
Davis 220
Barrington 48
Ryan 31

To think Ryan or Barrington are in the same league as Davis is outrageous. Athletically and in coverage Ryan and Barrington aren't even in the same league.

So if you exclude him being stronger, faster, quicker, jump higher, and more experience. Than yes, they are the same.

D

Deleted member 6794

What are you basing this off of?

Demario Davis literally scored better/equal to those two. And not by a little.

3/10 of second faster in the 40 than Barrington and almost 1/10 faster than Ryan.
12 more reps on the bench than both.
6" of vertical than both
7" of broad jump than both

The only comparable was 60 yard shuttle which was even.

Tackles
Davis 220
Barrington 48
Ryan 31

To think Ryan or Barrington are in the same league as Davis is outrageous. Athletically and in coverage Ryan and Barrington aren't even in the same league.

So if you exclude him being stronger, faster, quicker, jump higher, and more experience. Than yes, they are the same.

Well, I don´t care about his measurements but his game tape. And I don´t like what I´ve seen from Davis so I would be disappointed if the Packers bring him in.

Randall was the better pick. Kendricks woulda been nice but corners are far more valuable.

I agree that in hindsight Randall was the better pick. I was replying to another post questioning a rookie inside linebacker being capable of making an impact though.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is going to be one of TT's few major FA signing of his career. He can't draft for this position in the 3-4 and come up with anything that sticks. They have 2 thumpers in Ryan and Barrington. They need the guy opposite them to fill the position Clay has been covering at. He hasn't been able to draft or develop anyone worth a damn in this role so I think he goes and pays for it. That is the soft spot that teams attacked all season. Everyone tried to scheme to create a matchup where Ryan, Thomas or Palmer ended up covering a wr or TE.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's fun to speculate but all these UFA lists are suspect: The better the player the more likely his current team will try to keep him. And if he does hit the market, the better the player the more likely a bidding war will price him out of Green Bay. I think - or at least hope - the "real" lists will emerge after the first week or so of free agency.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's fun to speculate but all these UFA lists are suspect: The better the player the more likely his current team will try to keep him. And if he does hit the market, the better the player the more likely a bidding war will price him out of Green Bay. I think - or at least hope - the "real" lists will emerge after the first week or so of free agency.

Denver wont be able to afford their's. Von Miller, Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathan are all FA's. I bet at least 1 (maybe 2) of those guys leave. And two of them would fill a huge need for us at ILB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Denver wont be able to afford their's. Von Miller, Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathan are all FA's. I bet at least 1 (maybe 2) of those guys leave. And two of them would fill a huge need for us at ILB.
I hope you're right - hell, I hope there are so many available Thompson can't resist. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

It's tough to predict what is going to happen before the start of free agency. For example the Broncos would save $19 million in cap space by Peyton retiring. That would make it way easier for them to re-sign most of their free agents.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's tough to predict what is going to happen before the start of free agency. For example the Broncos would save $19 million in cap space by Peyton retiring. That would make it way easier for them to re-sign most of their free agents.

Von Miller will demand a hefty contract. They already have money tied up in D Ware. If they re-signed all three, that would be a lot of money tied up into just your LB spots. They'll keep Miller most likely. So I am willing to bet that either Brandon or Danny walk. Maybe both. But one for sure.

Thing about it is, if we or someone else were to pursue either of their ILB's early on in FA, chances would be good at getting them because I bet their #1 priority will be Von Miller for obvious reasons.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope stat ***** goober loses tomorrow so he tries to come back and totally screws them and their cap. He would force them to cut him or lose everyone.......all so he can chase every record known to man.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope stat ***** goober loses tomorrow so he tries to come back and totally screws them and their cap. He would force them to cut him or lose everyone.......all so he can chase every record known to man.

Heh. :roflmao:

D

Deleted member 6794

Von Miller will demand a hefty contract. They already have money tied up in D Ware. If they re-signed all three, that would be a lot of money tied up into just your LB spots. They'll keep Miller most likely. So I am willing to bet that either Brandon or Danny walk. Maybe both. But one for sure.

Thing about it is, if we or someone else were to pursue either of their ILB's early on in FA, chances would be good at getting them because I bet their #1 priority will be Von Miller for obvious reasons.

The Broncos would end up with $30 million in cap space with Manning retiring, well enough to re-sign most of their free agents. In addition they have exclusive negotiating rights with all of those guys until mid-March.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Broncos would end up with $30 million in cap space with Manning retiring, well enough to re-sign most of their free agents. In addition they have exclusive negotiating rights with all of those guys until mid-March.

What are the tag hits looking like for Miller? Because I don't see them letting him hitting the open market in any scenerio and I gotta believe he feels this is his time to cash in.

I assume the tags gotta be worth cap hits in the area of 12 mill per for him

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the tag hits looking like for Miller? Because I don't see them letting him hitting the open market in any scenerio and I gotta believe he feels this is his time to cash in.

I assume the tags gotta be worth cap hits in the area of 12 mill per for him

Seems tag hits take a big jump every year; I'd guess well north of $10M for LB's.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched Scooby Wright III play for UOfA and he has a nose for the ball. The guy is relentless and hits hard. He will be a first round talent that will be a 2nd-3rd round steal since he had some injuries this year.

I really like the guy. I think he will be good in the NFL. Plus last time a LB from UOfA with a silly name was Tedy Bruschi and he turned out pretty good.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems tag hits take a big jump every year; I'd guess well north of $10M for LB's.

My guess also. A tag for a OLB would have to be pretty big. And like I said no way do the Broncos let him test the open market so I just figured that's going to make a pretty big dent in their cap space

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess also. A tag for a OLB would have to be pretty big. And like I said no way do the Broncos let him test the open market so I just figured that's going to make a pretty big dent in their cap space
This is this past seasons
NFL Media's Albert Breer collected the estimated tag figures, according to one team's calculations. The below estimates are based on an approximated $143 million salary cap -- $10 million above last season (the league has not yet disseminated to the team's the exact salary cap figures for 2015).

Quarterbacks: $18.51 million
Defensive ends: $14.78 million
Linebacker: $13.17 million
Cornerback: $13.05 million
Offensive line: $12.92 million
Wide Receivers: $12.8 million
Defensive Tackle: $11.17 million
Running Backs: $10.93 million
Safety: $9.6 million
Tight ends: $8.33 million
Kicker/Punter: $4.12 million
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470843/article/estimated-franchise-tag-figures

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year's LB franchise tag was between $13 and $14 million. If Denver signs Von Miller to a
long term deal the contract structure will of course determine the cap amount. He is going to
want Justin Houston money, so around a $100 million deal.

I see Miller as Denver's number one priority with Brock Osweiler after him. I don't think they
will be able to keep everyone unless they cut some of their veterans.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year's LB franchise tag was between $13 and $14 million. If Denver signs Von Miller to a
long term deal the contract structure will of course determine the cap amount. He is going to
want Justin Houston money, so around a $100 million deal.

I see Miller as Denver's number one priority with Brock Osweiler after him. I don't think they
will be able to keep everyone unless they cut some of their veterans.

Huge chunk of change. Even if they can get real creative and manage to swing it, the bill will come due shortly down the road. The question for them is all in now, like the Vikings with Favre, and deal with later when it comes?

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would love to have Worrilow on the team. not at his asking price though.

Trevathan is another intriguing name

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trevathan, I'm a fan of but for some reason I am not sure TT and company will want to spend that kind of cash. However, all that said if we plan on pursuing him Peppers will not be resigned as he will free up much needed cash to fund the signing and looking towards other resignings as well. I'm fine with that and that tells me they are happy with re-signing Neal/Perry and trust Datone as well to progress. Guion will be resigned cheap too if we do this.

I say go for him, show him title town and all it's glory. Trevathan would be more than welcome IMO.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danny Trevathan is 6'-1", 240 lbs and ran a 4.82 at the combine, before having reconstructive knee surgery last year. If he's plenty fast then why are we Packer fans so down on our own guys?
Jake Ryan - 6'-2", 240 ran a 4.65 at the combine.
Sam Barrington - 6'-1", 246 ran a 4.91 at the combine 4 yrs. ago (before foot injury).
Joe Thomas - 6'-1", 227 lbs ran a 4.70 at his pro day, switched from OLB after draft.
Carl Bradford - 6'-1", 248 ran a 4.76 at the combine. Fast moving forward, not sure about coverage. Switched to ILB last spring, so has a year of ILB experience in the GB system.

ILB was a weak spot on the D in 2015, but don't see too many FA that are huge upgrades to what's in-house. The four above need experience and strength (JT) but should be able to play faster in 2016 as they get that experience.

Members online

Latest posts