David Bakhtiari signs 4-year extension

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey whatever man I just know they tried to sign Robinson once before and coincidentally or not it was right after they signed adams to a big extension

Dont recall exact details but know they had just signed adams amd then still offered Robinson i think 3 years at 14 milion per

Ironically robinson probably isnt getting much more than that now...3 years older and coming off a down year

Allen is arguably the 4th-6th best WR free agent hitting the market. Most cite his expected salary being 3-4 years at 14M-16M a year. Of course contract structure could load back more than front lowering his 2022 cost, but doubt you want to make that first year less than 8-9M if signing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They did… and I can’t help but think that it had a lot to do with having Preston, Clark, Gary, and Zadarius available at the same time along with having added Rasul Douglas into the coverage mix. It all starts at the line and having those 4 up front is formidable. That why this sucks so much thinking we might not get a chance to see it continue.
Yeah it's hard to see Z coming back, period, and Preston is a reach - all of this due to the cap. The FO pushed everything into 2020 and 2021 to make SB runs. Now it's time to pay the piper. Even if they get some of the high-priced talent to redo contracts, I still don't see how they avoid losing at least 3 starters - take your pick. It seems the first order of business will be getting Rodgers and Adams on board. I'm conflicted about that. It would result in a net loss of talent for the team, especially the D which has finally come around after so many years. Teams have won SBs with average to above average QBs and elite Ds. Look at the last Denver SB. Manning was a shell of himself.

Oh well, no one in GB is gonna ask me anyway, so I'll let them work it out. Best guess when the dust is settled - we'll have a competitive team and maybe another North Conference title or a Wild Card. I can live with that, and try to forget what could have been.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ZSmith is going to be gone. I'd definitely try and keep Preston around. I saw multiple plays where they ran right at Z and he made little effort or was on the ground again. Gary and Preston don't end up there. They hold their edges. Yes he can rush the QB, but you can't be a glaring liability in the run game and be getting paid that much.

Reaction score
It's just a cocky approach to assume that the Packers will find the right QB when teams like the Bears, Jets, Dolphins, Bills before Allen, Browns, WFT, etc. either haven't found their QB or it took decades to find him. But hey, the Packers will have their QB between Love and another draft pick. No problem!
There’s a fine line between cocky and confident. I see the argument of not exploring future options as hard ignorance. See. I see both sides. It sounds like you don’t and that would concern me far more than sideshow Love if we were both playing co-GM. You’re argument is singular and mine is plural. They don’t even really coexist in a debate. It’s like you’re arguing Micro and I’m arguing Macro economics. We are on 2 completely different pages.
You’re fixed on some Love vs. Rodgers argument (which by itself you’d easily win).
I’m fixed on the big picture and long term. I’m excited about the plethora of financial and draft capital to move forward. We will likely never have a chance again to go full tilt rebuild and have plenty of resources (along with what I consider as a high grader staff to get it done) It’s never easy to be able to accept change because of human inclination is to worry. I actually feel we are shooting way too low and missing the board when we could own the Bullseye. I have high, long term expectations for this team.

This team is stuck on a plateau. If you don’t see that I don’t know what to say. The cost vs benefit doesn’t add up anymore. We just passed that point last season imo. I would have (and did) agree with you about 2 seasons ago if that’s any consolation.:tup:

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ZSmith is going to be gone. I'd definitely try and keep Preston around. I saw multiple plays where they ran right at Z and he made little effort or was on the ground again. Gary and Preston don't end up there. They hold their edges. Yes he can rush the QB, but you can't be a glaring liability in the run game and be getting paid that much.
Good point, and out of that class of four FAs Gluten signed, he was by far the most expensive. I don't know how much dead money there is, but if he can't play like he did his first year, there's no point keeping him. Sad to say, he's a good guy with a good attitude. That's the nature of the game. I would think the first order of business in the draft is getting a DL who can start, if not day 1 then at some point in the season. Clark can't do it all alone although Lowry is improving, and I feel confident in Preston and Gary and in the ILBs Campbell and Barnes.

Would be nice to get a contributor on a rookie contract, eh?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would go with Preston over Z. He is just more available. And I don't want to pay Campbell a big contract which he just might get elsewhere. Hopefully we can draft a compliment to Clark.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would go with Preston over Z. He is just more available. And I don't want to pay Campbell a big contract which he just might get elsewhere. Hopefully we can draft a compliment to Clark.
I think Z is probably at the end of his career. That's a shame, the guy plays with heart and pride. Preston still has gas in the tank. I don't know his final stats but it looked like he played well. As for Campbell, now that GB has finally found an impact player at ILB, I'm reluctant to let him walk. Given the cap, there may be no choice. Another example of how painful it is that the team ultimately failed this year. It's not gonna be possible to put a team like that together again next year. Well, at least not on paper.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Campbell, now that GB has finally found an impact player at ILB, I'm reluctant to let him walk. Given the cap, there may be no choice. Another example of how painful it is that the team ultimately failed this year. It's not gonna be possible to put a team like that together again next year. Well, at least not on paper.
Ultimately, I just don't think Campbell is as good as everybody thinks. And if we give him a big contract...that would really hurt if I'm right.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ultimately, I just don't think Campbell is as good as everybody thinks. And if we give him a big contract...that would really hurt if I'm right.

I concur, now if he takes a reasonable but not like top five ILB money may consider. One year explosion type guys are such a massive gamble.

As for the discussion on Preston, I’m a hundred percent fine with the team if they would want to extend Preston if they move from Rodgers and Adams and issue in an offensive struggle most likely for a year. A solid defense can keep you around and Preston even with his one down year still was very consistent and solid in many facets - just not sacks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is kinda weird - he came out of nowhere. His play was consistently good but I'd want to see another year before committing big $$$. Given the cap situation, he may be a casualty anyway.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur, now if he takes a reasonable but not like top five ILB money may consider. One year explosion type guys are such a massive gamble.

As for the discussion on Preston, I’m a hundred percent fine with the team if they would want to extend Preston if they move from Rodgers and Adams and issue in an offensive struggle most likely for a year. A solid defense can keep you around and Preston even with his one down year still was very consistent and solid in many facets - just not sacks.
If they move on from Rodgers/Adams, they might be able to put together quite a defense, and yeah, that will keep them in games. I guess it also means Love is given the QB reins for a season. The running game is still solid, but if Love drastically underperforms, opponents can cheat and defend the run. It's just gonna be a rough year. The only fun is watching the FO try to put it all together. It also means Gluten has to have the best draft of his career.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is he really that bad against the run? I hadnt noticed that before...he is elite at getting to the qb and theres not that many of those guys, i know that

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he really that bad against the run? I hadnt noticed that before...he is elite at getting to the qb and theres not that many of those guys, i know that
I never really looked at how Z performs against the run as he is mostly in on passing downs. I agree with Mondio that he has to contribute something to the run game, especially when RPOs go the way of the run.

None of this matters as I'm certain Z will be gone this year. Even if he took a huge salary cut, I worry about guys who miss entire seasons due to back problems. They just never seem to resolve. Preston and Gary are fine OLBs, although I think Gary is getting close to a big payday.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a reason a young Gary and even Garvin last season (2020) saw the field more than Z early down and running downs. Z isn’t the worst against the run but definitely not a top trait he has.

Reaction score
Do you guys think we draft an OT or resign one of our own?? Or neither?

It’s obvious we can’t 100% count on Bak unfortunately. He’s more a bonus if he gets healthy.
I personally liked Nijman and I don’t think he’s peaked yet. He’s not Bakhtiari, but he could be a top 15 type LT at less than 50% the cost with more experience. He also has experience playing at RT, which I find an important asset.

If we draft 1 more Stud OT/OG and get Jenkins either or Bak returning? We’d be pretty deep at OL. If we draft one and get both players returning? We’d become one of the best 5 OL units in football and we could pound the ball more with our RB’s. The setbacks on OL killed our running game in 2021. If we find a copycat of Jenkins on the opposite side? It completely opens the playbook.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you guys think we draft an OT or resign one of our own?? Or neither?

It’s obvious we can’t 100% count on Bak unfortunately. He’s more a bonus if he gets healthy.
I personally liked Nijman and I don’t think he’s peaked yet. He’s not Bakhtiari, but he could be a top 15 type LT at less than 50% the cost with more experience. He also has experience playing at RT, which I find an important asset.

If we draft 1 more Stud OT/OG and get Jenkins either or Bak returning? We’d be pretty deep at OL. If we draft one and get both players returning? We’d become one of the best 5 OL units in football and we could pound the ball more with our RB’s. The setbacks on OL killed our running game in 2021. If we find a copycat of Jenkins on the opposite side? It completely opens the playbook.
Definitely need help for the right side, G to T, take your pick. And yeah it affected the running game - no Bakh, losing Jenkins and Myers. I think ?Nijman proves he can start, same for Patrick. You can't have two guys as talented as Jones and Dillon and not give them the resources they need up front. And they don't need much. The OL does need depth though. And hopefully the OL coach is back (Stevanavich?).

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely need help for the right side, G to T, take your pick. And yeah it affected the running game - no Bakh, losing Jenkins and Myers. I think ?Nijman proves he can start, same for Patrick. You can't have two guys as talented as Jones and Dillon and not give them the resources they need up front. And they don't need much. The OL does need depth though. And hopefully the OL coach is back (Stevanavich?).
uhh... No.

Right Guard, Royce Newman wasn't bad. There are a couple later rounder OLers that may (as usual) progress well under our OL draft and develop system.

RT, my guess is you give Yosh Nijman a shot whenever David gets back.

C is Josh Meyers and LG is Elgtin Jenkins

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uhh... No.

Right Guard, Royce Newman wasn't bad. There are a couple later rounder OLers that may (as usual) progress well under our OL draft and develop system.

I think we're saying the same thing. I forgot about Newman. He played well. Moving Nijman to RT when Bakh returns makes sense. He also exceeded expectations. The challenge, as always, is keeping these guys healthy. That's tough to do with linemen, offense and defense. Really missed Bakh and Jenkins in the game last week. Rodgers was running for his life. He made a few mistakes, but played pretty well given the strength of that SF front 4.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would do what we are most likely to do if we draft OL, it will be a starting Tackle that has the athleticism to bounce inside if needed….you know kinda like Runyan and Newman and numerous others over the years.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would do what we are most likely to do if we draft OL, it will be a starting Tackle that has the athleticism to bounce inside if needed….you know kinda like Runyan and Newman and numerous others over the years.
That's been the model and it's worked well. Draft tackles who by definition are more athletic than guards. Move them inside if needed. That is one thing GB has done consistently well - manage the OL talent. Injuries were just too much this year, yet they still exceeded expectations IMO. Losing Bakh, Turner, Jenkins, Meyers - I mean that's almost an entire starting line.

Reaction score
uhh... No.

? What games were you looking at? :tdown:Royce Newman played poorly most games (he typically made the worst 5 graded list for GB). Granted he was a Rookie and you’d expect improvement. Right now he’s kinda a top backup Guard imo. Serviceable etc..

I’m guessing Billy is gone. We’ve covered his guarantee and my hunch is we try to go cheaper and either draft a Rookie in day 2 OR use an existing option such as Nijman.

I feel like Billy is going to want 5-6mil+ Not sure we can afford him anymore with our Cap dilemma unless he takes a slight pay cut and 1 year type deal. We may take a stab at Billy but I think he gets more $ elsewhere.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
? What games were you looking at? :tdown:Royce Newman played poorly most games (he typically made the worst 5 graded list for GB). Granted he was a Rookie and you’d expect improvement. Right now he’s kinda a top backup Guard imo. Serviceable etc..

I’m guessing Billy is gone. We’ve covered his guarantee and my hunch is we try to go cheaper and either draft a Rookie in day 2 OR use an existing option such as Nijman.

I feel like Billy is going to want 5-6mil+ Not sure we can afford him anymore with our Cap dilemma unless he takes a slight pay cut and 1 year type deal. We may take a stab at Billy but I think he gets more $ elsewhere.

Billy is not in a Free Agency position folks, he is signed to a 2022 contract. It is cut/release, keep signed as is, or restructure in some way.

Reaction score
Billy is not in a Free Agency position folks, he is signed to a 2022 contract. It is cut/release, keep signed as is, or restructure in some way.
That’s kinda obvious. We’re yiu actually thinking we’d pay Billy the 9mil+ we owe him?(as is)
I don’t think so

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s kinda obvious. We’re yiu actually thinking we’d pay Billy the 9mil+ we owe him?(as is)
I don’t think so

Many of us figured we would not pay Lowry what his was due even this last season, let alone his next.

Many folks here believe we overpaid King by five million…

Turner is contracted still and I doubt he takes as little as some think, he would for sure find a role/job elsewhere. If Rodgers and Adams is gone I could see him have zero desire or willingness to take a reduction.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts