David Bakhtiari signs 4-year extension

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either way we are likely to be in for a down year or two at least after Rodgers leaves.
I think we should keep Rodgers if we can. A couple of down years in exchange for 20 years of HOF level QB play? Who wouldn't take that?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not involved in the cap discussion because nobody knows, but, from what I've seen, the Pack is losing some significant pieces of this year's team, regardless. And, this is a team that had that HOF playing and still fizzled.

Reaction score
Not involved in the cap discussion because nobody knows, but, from what I've seen, the Pack is losing some significant pieces of this year's team, regardless. And, this is a team that had that HOF playing and still fizzled.
That is the reality, yes. Let me add that I do believe our GM is above average talented in acquiring resources from the bargain bin. Looking around? It appears that the majority of teams are in a Cap sensitive position. That likely equates to a bigger pool of player resources that should go to the free market. It also isn’t a big jump to assume that we snatch a few of them on the cheap once again

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This deal is going to be pointed to by many when discussing paying players MASSIVE money vs the risk of injury. One could make a decently valid case for the fact that his ACL injury was a massive reason why we did nothing in the playoffs two straight years. I love the guy, and the deal made sense at the time but we are talking an INSANE amount of money that has given us nothing really of measure since.
That is football unfortunately. Brady missed one season in his career and even with BB they failed to make the playoffs. One player can make a difference. Insane? You may be right.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is football unfortunately. Brady missed one season in his career and even with BB they failed to make the playoffs. One player can make a difference. Insane? You may be right.
A tad disingenuous, though. They did go 11-5 and only missed the playoffs because of a tiebreaker.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A tad disingenuous, though. They did go 11-5 and only missed the playoffs because of a tiebreaker.

BB has proven it is the system a lot more than folks give credit to. The problem is that hasn’t proven the case in many places. MLF might get to show if it is here soon…

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one thing about the cap going up that folks keep forgetting is it won’t go up solely for the Packers. It will relatively for all teams go up - so if you’re in a bad spot now you’re situation still doesn’t change much.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one thing about the cap going up that folks keep forgetting is it won’t go up solely for the Packers. It will relatively for all teams go up - so if you’re in a bad spot now you’re situation still doesn’t change much.
While that is true… it doesn’t really refute the points being made by those that say we can afford to go in the hole right now … because we can pay for it with the increased cap number. In other words it might make sense to spend now since everything will cost more later along with the increased cap.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that is true… it doesn’t really refute the points being made by those that say we can afford to go in the whole right now … because we can pay for it with the increased cap number. In other words it might make sense to spend now since everything will cost more later along with the increased cap.

Cap won’t go down till the economy does in a big way, even in lessening economies NFL still typically doesn’t hurt.

Reaction score
BB has proven it is the system a lot more than folks give credit to. The problem is that hasn’t proven the case in many places. MLF might get to show if it is here soon…
BB is impressive. Concerning NE, There’s no way a team picking near last every year can maintain a top
5-10 Defense near every season and at the same time be so consistent in success unless their total system is ultra successful

Bill since 2000 has scoring Defenses ranked (starting 2000)
19 Top #10 ranked Defenses(86%)

Sherman since 2000 (GBP)
McCarthy since 2006
25,7,22,7,2,19,11,25,14,12,21,26, 22
MLF since 2019

5 Top #10 ranked (23%)

It’s just so apparent to me how having a quality Defense is a common denominator in overall team success. Yet the Offense is flashy like .. and fun to watch.

The point being that we must continue to focus on fixing our Defense and not get too distracted overpaying or prioritizing on Offense. If we allow 18pts per game, even an average O can win the vast majority of games. We now know that even is having a #1 Offense can’t carry a team. If you dont believe that review 2011, 2020. Early exit strategy

I’ll take Aaron and a bunch of nobodies plus a Great Defense.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cap won’t go down till the economy does in a big way, even in lessening economies NFL still typically doesn’t hurt.
I’m sure I’m missing your point, but mine is not looking for the cap to go down. I‘m saying right now NFL contracts are based on the current cap. If we go into even more negative spending right now… the player cost is likely very cheap compared to what it will be in a couple years when the cap goes up. Therefore, it might actually make sense to spend now even though we will have to pay that debt later.

A real world example … I bought a new Ram 2500 in early 2020. I financed most of it. It is currently worth about $18,000 more than I paid.

Reaction score
I think we should keep Rodgers if we can. A couple of down years in exchange for 20 years of HOF level QB play? Who wouldn't take that?
I think we should keep Rodgers IF he agrees to basically trade off of security for average yearly. Meaning an above average guaranteed and below average (for him) annual. Keeping him here for a solid 4 years with a 5th year option (under contract). I don’t know what that is but I’d guess with inflation even 33mil average will be a bargain in
2-3 seasons.

Reaction score
A real world example … I bought a new Ram 2500 in early 2020. I financed most of it. It is currently worth about $18,000 more than I paid.
While that may be true.. and it’s fantastic isn’t it!! I offered a commercial customer his 2020 $ selling price on an F250 after he drove it a year and out 20,000 miles. He walked away to get more $. He’ll probably get it. But he’ll pay much more also. We do MSRP ;)
if you buy another vehicle you’ll wash most of the inflated profit. Also, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. that price is highly inflated and it’s about to reset. It will drop $10,000 over a 1-2 month cycle at its trough (I predict it will actually over-correct) and it will continue to drop as chip manufacturers push inventory back into the market.
But if you are selling today only you’re great. Keep in mind I had 185 units of F150’s in 2019 and about 80 units of Superduty (I work for a Dealer) I had 10 and 0 last July. I now have 135 and 6 (many half ton converted fleet units)
Point being todays value and tomorrows value are entirely different things and it’s mainly speculative. As salaries inflate that cap increase goes bye bye real fast.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that may be true.. if you buy another vehicle you’ll wash most of the inflation. Also, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. that price is highly inflated and it’s about to reset. It will drop $10,000 in a couple months at its trough and it will continue to drop as chip manufacturers push inventory back into the market.
But if you are selling today only you’re great
Lol… I was waiting for that response… but it misses the point. Right now you can buy a player for much less than he will cost in a couple years..
so overspending now isn’t nearly as bad as it could be.

As for your prediction on future truck prices… I hope you are right… I will eventually need a new one… but as of right now, I have one … and I got it cheap comparatively.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shoot I have my daily driver 2012 Sierra, but kept my older 2005 F150 two wheel drive and should just sell it cuz even old used ones are theft right now on the market

Reaction score
Lol… I was waiting for that response… but it misses the point. Right now you can buy a player for much less than he will cost in a couple years..
so overspending now isn’t nearly as bad as it could be.

As for your prediction on future truck prices… I hope you are right… I will eventually need a new one… but as of right now, I have one … and I got it cheap comparatively.
Well I suppose we could argue that cap prices today are cheaper than future and in a tunnel that would hold. We could argue that David’s average salary is high today but getting normal in the future so to speak. However the agents understand that and likely even have positions charted for salary growth (cost of living).

That concept is kinda what I perceive is going on with Aaron Rodgers contract offer. E.g. We might look at a $38m average (just making up an arbitrary # based on Mahommes lengthy deal) average kinda high for a QB who will possibly turn 42 before it’s over. It is today comparatively but in 3-5 years it might not make the top 5 salaries and we’d have the best QB. It’s likely what was addressed when they configured David’s deal because $23 average likely will not be a top 3 salary in 2023 and he’s arguably going to get that somewhere. Problem is much like your truck purchase.. they didn’t factor Covid and chip shortages. I’d be arguing that going forward though and it is a valid argument. Anything can happen and the team is on the fiscal hook. Look around the league very few teams have a significant cap surplus and teams are pushing $ out hoping a fiscal fairy godmother or tooth fairy reimburses them.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its pretty rare to pull off a Bucs type Coup and return all 22 starters from 1 year to the next. It remains to be seen who we lose.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you know how much it is going to go up? For the most part I agree with you but its a huge gamble and you are acting like its not a big deal. Push it all out and the rising cap will take care of it. Either way we are likely to be in for a down year or two at least after Rodgers leaves. If we can keep Rodgers around for another 3-4 years and compete for the SB I say do it. If it means losing a chance on Love so be it, there will be another Jordan Love in 2 years. If its all done to keep Rodgers through 2022 only then I say no its not worth it. Move him now and get some assets. If we have him for 3 more years and he retires we just traded any assets we might get for the chance to be competitive for those years. Its a fair trade I think.

No risk no reward...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But you know how much it is going to go up? For the most part I agree with you but its a huge gamble and you are acting like its not a big deal. Push it all out and the rising cap will take care of it. Either way we are likely to be in for a down year or two at least after Rodgers leaves. If we can keep Rodgers around for another 3-4 years and compete for the SB I say do it. If it means losing a chance on Love so be it, there will be another Jordan Love in 2 years. If its all done to keep Rodgers through 2022 only then I say no its not worth it. Move him now and get some assets. If we have him for 3 more years and he retires we just traded any assets we might get for the chance to be competitive for those years. Its a fair trade I think.
209 for 2022

225 million for 2023

Matt39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its pretty rare to pull off a Bucs type Coup and return all 22 starters from 1 year to the next. It remains to be seen who we lose.
That’s where an owner and larger market help, sorry there is no way they put that team together and kept them all after a Super Bowl with so many playing below market rates. I guarantee you TB has cheated the cap with under the table and “endorsement” deals in lieu of actual contract money.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since it's subjective, which of the returning UFA players do you think signed for so little that it's a given that the cap was circumvented? I always get a little leery of forum posters that guarantee they know, well anything, about the inner workings of the teams.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
209 for 2022

225 million for 2023
I've seen that number on OTC but is it for sure or is that an estimate. If it is in fact 225 million its only 17 million more than 2022 number of 208. I wouldn't consider that a cap explosion like some people here are saying. Now the 31 million increase to 256 million they have from 2023 to 2024 is more like it. Again though, are those numbers set or are they estimates.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen that number on OTC but is it for sure or is that an estimate. If it is in fact 225 million its only 17 million more than 2022 number of 208. I wouldn't consider that a cap explosion like some people here are saying. Now the 31 million increase to 256 million they have from 2023 to 2024 is more like it. Again though, are those numbers set or are they estimates.
And you know that despite the fact of that explosion in 2024 may allow teams to spend more someone will pay for it. We the fans?