Boys stud and dud

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

I am glad we were not reaching for a RB in the 2nd-3rd rounds though with how much we needed to upgrade our defense.

Unfortunately that hasn't worked out that well so far.

I also wouldn't mind if they sat Money until after the bye week. As long as Jones can get the job done, keep feeding him the ball.

The Packers should play once Montgomery is healthy enough to return to the field as he offers a unique skill set at the position. Jones definitely deserves to get touches going forward though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers should play once Montgomery is healthy enough to return to the field as he offers a unique skill set at the position. Jones definitely deserves to get touches going forward though.

This kind of ties in with why the Packers drafted 3 RB's. I really don't think they were that confident in Monty's ability to stay healthy or carry a full workload. Not sure if its the recovery time from his Sickle Cell or just his running style, but the guy has been getting banged up easily and I would prefer having him back when he is 100%.

Jones had 19 carries yesterday and still seemed to be running hard at the end.

D

Deleted member 6794

This kind of ties in with why the Packers drafted 3 RB's. I really don't think they were that confident in Monty's ability to stay healthy or carry a full workload. Not sure if its the recovery time from his Sickle Cell or just his running style, but the guy has been getting banged up easily and I would prefer having him back when he is 100%.

Jones had 19 carries yesterday and still seemed to be running hard at the end.

I would prefer having Montgomery as the backup to Jones even if he's not fully healthy though as there's currently no reason to feel confident about Williams or Mays being able to fill in.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Godgers
Adams
Bulaga return
A. Jones
Martinez
King on that explosive opening play which went to waste, hope he recovers quickly, he is making swift progress

Duds:
Crosby
First half pass D
Officiating

Reaction score
Was anyone else almost relieved when Dak ran it in with 1:13 left? I was more concerned Zeke was going to get the yard for a 1st down. If that had happened and then they scored, almost no time left.
There is certainly a philosophy about draining the clock that makes complete sense. IMO, I would employ this at the end of the first half OR if the score is tied at the end of the game and we are going for the "go ahead" score.
In a scenario where my team is "behind" and playing catchup (e.g. the Dallas game Sunday) then the scoring trumps the clock time. Dallas made the right decision even though it didn't result in a "W"

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think an overlooked stud in this game was the second half performance of the defense. Held a top-10 scoring offense to 10 points and 174 total yards despite missing numerous players in the secondary.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think an overlooked stud in this game was the second half performance of the defense. Held a top-10 scoring offense to 10 points and 174 total yards despite missing numerous players in the secondary.

The defense benefited from the Packers offense controlling the clock with the Cowboys getting only four possessions in the second half and a lucky bounce. When push came to shove the unit wasn't able to get a stop once again though.

Reaction score
The defense benefited from the Packers offense controlling the clock with the Cowboys getting only four possessions in the second half and a lucky bounce. When push came to shove the unit wasn't able to get a stop once again though.
While time was a factor. There is nothing "lucky" about our Defense holding our opponent Offense (#8 ranked scoring in the league) to a NET 2 points in half a football game (on the road)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think you missed the part where I mentioned the performance considering the injuries. And, to be clear, the defense did a very good job except for ONE drive. Second half drives by Cowboys were as follows:

6 plays, 20 yards, punt
8 plays, 50 yards, FG
2 plays, 3 yards, INT
17 plays, 79 yards, TD (this is the one people think of)
2 plays, 28 yards, fumble (this one really doesn't count)

Looks to me like the defense got a couple stops. You also mention the Cowboys only getting four possessions in the second half...they only had THREE in the first half so I'm not sure where the difference is there.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense hardly did a great job defeding the run as the Cowboys rushed for 163 yards on 35 attempts for an average of 4.7 yards.

Context.

They did a great job on designed run plays. I can't hold Dak's scrambles against the run defense.

Zeke Elliot averaged 4 yards a carry. I'm happy with that.

D

Deleted member 6794

While time was a factor. There is nothing "lucky" about our Defense holding our opponent Offense to a NET 2 points in half a football game (on the road)

The Packers were lucky that the ball ended up in Randall's hands on the pick six.

I think you missed the part where I mentioned the performance considering the injuries. And, to be clear, the defense did a very good job except for ONE drive. Second half drives by Cowboys were as follows:

6 plays, 20 yards, punt
8 plays, 50 yards, FG
2 plays, 3 yards, INT
17 plays, 79 yards, TD (this is the one people think of)
2 plays, 28 yards, fumble (this one really doesn't count)

Looks to me like the defense got a couple stops. You also mention the Cowboys only getting four possessions in the second half...they only had THREE in the first half so I'm not sure where the difference is there.

Taking a look around the injury situation for some teams around the league I truly believe it's ludicrous to even mention the ones the Packers have suffered on the defensive side of the ball this season as a possible excuse. It's true the unit performed at a better level in the second half but the problem being that last drive they weren't able to stop the Cowboys with the game on the line once again. There's absolutely no way to feel confident about them getting a stop at a much needed time at all.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were lucky that the ball ended up in Randall's hands on the pick six.

Taking a look around the injury situation for some teams around the league I truly believe it's ludicrous to even mention the ones the Packers have suffered on the defensive side of the ball this season as a possible excuse. It's true the unit performed at a better level in the second half but the problem being that last drive they weren't able to stop the Cowboys with the game on the line once again. There's absolutely no way to feel confident about them getting a stop at a much needed time at all.

You're focusing on one drive. The whole second half counts. The Cowboys are a very good NFL offense, there are maybe 2-3 defenses in the entire NFL that can be counted on "to get a stop when they really need it" (btw, which drives does the defense not "need to stop"?). If you're only going to give the D credit when they play like the Broncos then you're going to be eternally disappointed.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
To some the defense "looked good" because we ended up winning the game. Had AR not pulled another miraculous ending out of his ****, I think we would all be in here talking about "what is wrong with this defense?" I also think the "Fire Capers" thread would be on fire.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're focusing on one drive. The whole second half counts. The Cowboys are a very good NFL offense, there are maybe 2-3 defenses in the entire NFL that can be counted on "to get a stop when they really need it" (btw, which drives does the defense not "need to stop"?). If you're only going to give the D credit when they play like the Broncos then you're going to be eternally disappointed.

On the other hand you're solely focusing on two drives while the Packers gave up a total of 31 points while forcing only a single punt. Their performance during the second half of yesterday's game doesn't make me confident in their ability to contain elite offense during the postseason by any means.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another unsung stud, Damarious Randall for giving what might be the most insane response to being asked about his penalty:

Randall claimed that he wasn't called for a penalty. Then, when told he did get a penalty, he said, "Yeah, I don't think I had a penalty." THEN, when told that he flipped the ball at Dak, he said, "Flip what?"

It's like he doesn't actually know what words mean! We might have figured out why he has so much trouble with the defense. He just doesn't speak the same language as anyone else.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To some the defense "looked good" because we ended up winning the game. Had AR not pulled another miraculous ending out of his ****, I think we would all be in here talking about "what is wrong with this defense?" I also think the "Fire Capers" thread would be on fire.

To be fair, the "Fire Capers" thread is ALWAYS jumping.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand you're solely focusing on two drives while the Packers gave up a total of 31 points while forcing only a single punt. Their performance during the second half of yesterday's game doesn't make me confident in their ability to contain elite offense during the postseason by any means.

I never claimed that their second half performance should be viewed as some kind of turning point. I was just pointing out that in the second half the defense did a pretty good job. And you talk about containing elite offenses in the postseason. That's NOT going to happen with this roster, there just isn't the defensive talent to do so. The Broncos are probably the only team in the NFL that can consistently count on their defense stopping an elite offense. Expecting any other team to do so doesn't make sense. The Packers lack elite pass rushers, have maybe one average NFL-caliber corner on the roster, one good safety in Burnett who has to play LB or CB due to roster issues, and a safety who has backslid a lot in HaHa.

D

Deleted member 6794

And you talk about containing elite offenses in the postseason. That's NOT going to happen with this roster, there just isn't the defensive talent to do so. The Broncos are probably the only team in the NFL that can consistently count on their defense stopping an elite offense. Expecting any other team to do so doesn't make sense. The Packers lack elite pass rushers, have maybe one average NFL-caliber corner on the roster, one good safety in Burnett who has to play LB or CB due to roster issues, and a safety who has backslid a lot in HaHa.

The Packers defense not being able to at least contain elite offenses in the playoffs will most likely result in the team not making it to the Super Bowl again. That's unacceptable after trying to rebuild the unit over the past six seasons though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense not being able to at least contain elite offenses in the playoffs will most likely result in the team not making it to the Super Bowl again. That's unacceptable after trying to rebuild the unit over the past six seasons though.

Hey, I agree that the defensive personnel choices on this team have been poor. However, it's likely that EVERY playoff team that doesn't win the Super Bowl is going to lose because their defense didn't stop the other team.

H

HardRightEdge

Did you really just compliment Capers for using Matthews in a creative way???
A broken clock is right twice per day. His reaction time in addressing issues is comparable to the flow of molasses.

On a related note, I think Matthews is having a pretty good season so far. Watching him in that coverage role he looks quicker in space than in the recent past and while the sack total has not been impressive, he's showing more disruption than last season. I'm guessing he's not suffering from unreported dents and dings, a frequent but often unrecognized cause of player under performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Hey, I agree that the defensive personnel choices on this team have been poor. However, it's likely that EVERY playoff team that doesn't win the Super Bowl is going to lose because their defense didn't stop the other team.

While that's true with the Packers having the best quarterback in the game in Rodgers the team has to benefit of it being most likely good enough to hold opponents under 30 points to win another championship. Unfortunately I don't have any confidence in this unit to be capable of achieving that on a regular basis.

H

HardRightEdge

Agreed. I think Dallas is what 20th ranked in stopping the run and the Vikings are 3rd? So yes, next week will be a better test of Jones. I also wouldn't mind if they sat Monty until after the bye week. As long as Jones can get the job done, keep feeding him the ball.
There's also the question of emphasis. Jones would have been low on the Dallas priority list. There's tape now showing he must be accounted for. That's fine if it creates more passing game opportunities, with play action for example.

H

HardRightEdge

I would expect Montgomery to remain the starter when he's ready to come back. However, besides the running, that Jones layout catch on the sidelines should open eyes to dual-aspect potential. Neither of these guys are good pass blockers in the third aspect of the running back skill set.

In the past, McCarthy has expressed a "hot hand" inclination when there was a perception that there were two RBs capable of having one. I would expect Jones to get a possession earlier rather than later if Montgomery is not making headway.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was more about the Packers offense taking over and limiting Cowboy possessions. And even with the Packers offense doing almost everything right, The time of possession was 35:06 for Dallas, and 24:54 for Green Bay. I saw nothing from the defense in that game that encouraged me. Aaron Rodgers being almost perfect, A lucky bounce into Randall's hands, and one or two mistakes by the Cowboys saved the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online