Boys stud and dud

Status
Not open for further replies.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaches film is not yet available on NFL Game Pass but it seems that Randall passed Butler along to Clinton-Dix while not covering any other receiver on that play. Once again, I'm absolutely convinced that wasn't the call.

You see, what happens with some zone coverages, is that you aren't covering a specific player, you're covering an area. Or...you know, a zone.

Anyways, as a player enters your zone, you cover them, as they leave, you hand them off and go back to your area, or zone. So yes, sometimes you end up not covering anybody.

H

HardRightEdge

The coaches film is not yet available on NFL Game Pass but it seems that Randall passed Butler along to Clinton-Dix while not covering any other receiver on that play. Once again, I'm absolutely convinced that wasn't the call.
Well, you don't need the all-22 because the standard view plus the focus replay on the receiver and especially the replay from behind the QB shows you what happened.

Note that replay view from behind the QB. There's a 4-across zone coverage at 10-15 yard depth. Randall had the zone on the right side of the defense. That's why he released the receiver. There was some typical Capers "deception" on this play. Burnett was lined up at single high safety but came up to cover one of the middle zones. Clinton-Dix flipped and bailed right off the snap to take Burnett's spot in the deep middle. The receiver happened to be running the seam right with him into his responsibility in the deep middle. And Clinton-Dix didn't get on him, not even close, and then waved at him on the tackle.

This is a -2 Clinton-Dix play with an assist from Capers who didn't deceive anybody. Hey Dom! Line up and play!

Regardless, Clinton-Dix is supposed to be a play maker, right? 5th. year options go to play makers, right?. Where is he? It's like watching Matthews starting at ILB a couple of years ago, "where's Waldo"?

And this is not the first time we've seen Clinton-Dix wave on tackles as the guy goes by. It's a weekly event. I swear half his tackles in the backfield are touch-downs on guys going to the ground.

He's a good box safety, though, but nothing special in single high, whether planted there or running to it. Everybody else out there is grinding it out except him. Hey! Ha'Sean! Get with it! Prove me wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Regardless, Clinton-Dix is supposed to be a play maker, right? 5th. year options go to play makers, right?. Where is he? It's like watching Matthews starting at ILB a couple of years ago, "where's Waldo"?

And this is not the first time we've seen Clinton-Dix wave on tackles as the guy goes by. It's a weekly event. I swear half his tackles in the backfield are touch-downs on guys going to the ground.

He's a good box safety, though, but nothing special in single high, whether planted there or running to it. Everybody else out there is grinding it out except him. Hey! Ha'Sean! Get with it!

There's absolutely no doubt Clinton-Dix has been a disappointment so far this season. I'll take a look at the replay once the coaches film becomes available before further commenting on the play.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The plan is definitely not having your free safety cover a receiver one-on-one even when playing zone coverage.

So what's your contention? Do you think that Randall had man coverage on that play while everyone else had zone responsibilities and he just forgot? Or do you think that Randall's zone responsibility stretched from the short left side of the field all the way to the deep right? Because those are the alternatives.

House does the exact same thing on his side. He hands Williams off to Brice over the top of his zone and stays in his area. King does the same thing. Based on where Butler catches the ball, it's crazy to think that it's on Randall unless you think that Randall was supposed to be in man coverage on Butler and played zone instead. And if we're going to make that kind of leap, then we might as well pin every bad play on Randall regardless of what happens. Just scapegoat him.

H

HardRightEdge

There's absolutely no doubt Clinton-Dix has been a disappointment so far this season. I'll take a look at the replay once the coaches film becomes available before further commenting on the play.
You do that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, you don't need the all-22 because the standard view plus the focus replay on the receiver and especially the replay from behind the QB shows you what happened.

Note that replay view from behind the QB. There's a 4-across zone coverage at 10-15 yard depth. Randall had the zone on the right side of the defense. That's why he released the receiver. There was some typical Capers "deception" on this play. Burnett was lined up at single high safety but came up to cover one of the middle zones. Clinton-Dix flipped and bailed right off the snap to take Burnett's spot in the deep middle. The receiver happened to be running the seam right with him into his responsibility in the deep middle. And Clinton-Dix didn't get on him, not even close, and then waved at him on the tackle.

This is a -2 Clinton-Dix play with an assist from Capers who didn't deceive anybody. Hey Dom! Line up and play!

He's a good box safety, though, but nothing special in single high, whether planted there or running to it. Everybody else out there is grinding it out except him. Hey! Ha'Sean! Get with it! Prove me wrong!

If the DB's executed the play as designed, then I'd agree if was a poor play design. Both Randall and King were handing guys off at the same time. I'm wondering if Clinton-Dix hesitated to move inside with Butler because he was keeping an eye on Bryant down the sideline.

This play also gets back to one of my original points in this thread-- Prescott escaping pressure and making plays on the move is as much to blame for the breakdown as the coverage was.

H

HardRightEdge

If you don't like subjective interpretations of the proceedings, consider this stat.

Trough 5 games C-D has 2 passes defended, one being the air mailed interception in the Bears game. He's not getting to throws and, subjectively speaking again, his tackling is ugly. Maybe Dom is escalating his role as an "element of deception" and it is throwing off his game. Well, play makers have to color outside the lines sometimes.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, I think Brice is the better safety. HaHa has been Ha-wful.

/please forgive me for this awful pun, I'm new at dad jokes

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you don't like subjective interpretations of the proceedings, consider this stat.

Trough 5 games C-D has 2 passes defended, one being the air mailed interception in the Bears game. He's not getting to throws and, subjectively speaking again, his tackling is ugly. Maybe Dom is escalating his role as an "element of deception" and it is throwing off his game. Well, play makers have to color outside the lines sometimes.

Poor angles, both in pursuit and coverage, have been the most troubling issues to me when it comes to Clinton-Dix. Though I will add that I didn't notice any glaring issues from him after that big play.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some of it is trying to put round pegs in square holes. Dix (who I agree is not playing well) should be in the outfield where he belongs. Not as I saw many times, down in a linebackers' area. Unless you plan on blitzing him.

H

HardRightEdge

If the DB's executed the play as designed, then I'd agree if was a poor play design. Both Randall and King were handing guys off at the same time. I'm wondering if Clinton-Dix hesitated to move inside with Butler because he was keeping an eye on Bryant down the sideline. If Jones can repeat a "hot hand" performance then we'll see.

This play also gets back to one of my original points in this thread-- Prescott escaping pressure and making plays on the move is as much to blame for the breakdown as the coverage was.

Bryant was wide open on the play. King released him and there was nobody back there. Prescott was looking that way but had to bail right. Betwixt and between, perhaps, but Dix had no chance of getting to Bryant having flipped the other way. He's got a guy running up the seam in his face and he knows nobody is behind him. Cover the guy who comes in your zone and is right in the face of the QB. and hope he misses seeing the other guy. Hedging the bet gets you burned either way.

If he was back in centerfield with the play in front of him he would have had a better chance to defend it. But you make a critical point. Why is everybody getting released with nobody behind them? Assist: Capers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Bryant was wide open on the play. King released him and there was nobody back there. Prescott was looking that way but had to bail right. Betwixt and between, perhaps, but he had no chance of getting to Bryant. He's got a guy running up the seam and he knows nobody is behind him. Cover the guy who comes in your zone who's right in your face and right in the face of the QB. Hedging the bet gets you burned either way.

I guess. But man, if Capers put him in a position where he was ultimately responsible for both Bryant and Butler deep then it's hard for me to be too tough on him.

H

HardRightEdge

I guess. But man, if Capers put him in a position where he was ultimately responsible for both Bryant and Butler deep then it's hard for me to be too tough on him.
Pick your poison and go with it. Guessing right is what good players do. Not deciding gets you burned.

H

HardRightEdge

I would further observe is if the coverage on the Randall temper tantrum play was as either ill-conceived, Ill-communicated or ill-executed as on this play, maybe somebody needs to yell at a coach.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Pick your poison and go with it. Guessing right is what good players do. Not deciding gets you burned.

But picking his poison could have resulted in a 78 yard touchdown rather than a 49 yard completion.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Before you were "absolutely certain" and "definitely sure" about the play. Now you need to watch more film?

I think you have your orders of operation mixed up. I blame Common Core.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs -
Arodg - now this is the guy that wins mvps and makes the team a winner year in and out. tremendous.
Paddaddams - it is not a coincidence, this kid is Julio Jones like without the glitz. that hit wasn't as bad as anyone thought.
Jones - now lets go out and get Forte and start running the ball regularly. this kid is shifty.

Duds -
Mason Crosby - I realize bad hold and snaps occur, he is a vet, should be able to adjust and make an extra point.
Hooha Clinton-Dix - not ready for prime time. he looks like his feet are stuck in mud and confused most of the game.
Buck/Aikman - get em off late fox nfc games...their slanted announcing is getting old.

All in all, wow - starting to think a four leaf clover is around here somewhere, gotta ride this winning bus as long as it has four wheels.
Another big dud on Bill as he was AWOL again.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was there any discussion here about the penalty on Martinez in the end zone ? A bad call in my opinion !

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Watch around 2:35, when AR throws the game winning pass, there a girl wearing a cap in blue t-shirt with the Dallas star, cheering madly. What was that all about! :roflmao:

H

HardRightEdge

HaHa has been Ha-wful.
Maybe Ha'Sean is Capers Ha'Pawn, but that doesn't excuse him tackling like a Ha'Fawn on the Ha'Lawn. Perhaps this is just the darkness before the Ha'Dawn. My mind is unchanged on one matter: Capers should be Ha'Gone come offseason.

Forgive me, Lord, for I ha'th remained optimistic.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Maybe Ha'Sean is Capers Ha'Pawn, but that doesn't excuse him tackling like a Ha'Fawn on the Ha'Lawn. Perhaps this is just the darkness before the Ha'Dawn. My mind is unchanged on one matter: Capers should be Ha'Gone come offseason.

Forgive me, Lord, for I ha'th remained optimistic.
That was ha-larious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts