Bears stud n duds

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs - Def, with mentions for Clark, Run D was better than normal for this season, lots of passes well defended, but could have had a couple more picks. and 1st - 3rd Q Off, thought we were a bit unlucky only to be 7-3 up at HT, then a good 3rd and fell apart in the 4th

Duds - dropped passes

i thought we were almost going to play a complete game like we haven't done all season, till the 4th. I'll keep the ugly wins if it wins us the SB, but this was never a SB or bust season, you just can't go from two crap seasons to winning it all in one. my prediction was an 11-5 season, i hope I'm proved wrong. lots to have been happy with last night overall

felix145

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Kenny Clark
The D - I don't like the bend don't break defense, because it's not good for my nerves, but at the end we win the most games, because of that
Jaire
O-Line
Adams although he had a couple of drops

Duds:

Every WR not named Adams - we have massive problems on this position
Graham - did he even play?
The pass rush - where were the Smith bros?
Martinez - it's hard to watch him making the same mistakes every game

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Ervin - Its unbeliviable what a difference he makes.I didnt see that coming cuz I thought that the blocking scheme was the bigger problem on returns. I see a punt return TD coming against the Lions :D
Clark - was on a mission and destroyed the OL
Martinez - had a really good game imo
OL - the pass pro and run block was really good vs a really really good defense. Bulaga whiffed one where he forgot Mack (lmao) but that was the only real mistake they had in the game
defense in general - the defense seems to get rolling last few weeks. They had a good game against a Chicago offense that got hot in the last games.
Gary - finally has another sack. he was damn close on so many plays and now he was able to finish the play. I am really happy for him.

duds:
WR - I counted 5 dropped passes. That is insane. People wouldnt talk about how bad rodgers looked in the game if the WR didnt drop the balls. I felt that the Offense was able to move the chains without big problems but once again drops and penalties killed the drives.
defense on the last play - they were saved by the mental error of the fullback and that can never happen again. This was really pathetic and I dont know what they did on defense there.

Important win against a Top 5 defense. Offense looked really good at some point but as Zach Kruse pointed out on twitter: They cant get both defense and offense working on the same time. The potential on both sides is big but the execution is lazy and inconsistent. I think that this is a good problem because it shows that the potential for a deep playoff run is there. Teams are not 11-3 with pure luck.

One thing I wanna add regarding MVS: It looks like MLF only gives him a real chance on deep routes. I know that he is a deep threat with his speed but he lacks the catching abilities. He always gets dropped from the game when the deepthrow doesnt work, against the Bears again. I wonder why this is ? MVS lacks confidence. Build his confidence with safe and short catches. Put him in position to make some safe catches and dude will show his potential. I dont understand why MLF keeps Gmo on, no matter how many passes he drops, but MVS is banned from the offense every game.

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers should be treated like every other player and not given the Benefit of the doubt for past performances. You say he has no talent at WR other than Adams and then you give a Stud rating to Kumerow.

Rodgers had a fine game. Should have done better with the MVS drop. Where i would complain about Rodgers is the complaining on the sidelines. Talk to your teammates. Be a leader. Encourage them. Don't throw a fit.

One great play by Kumerow doesn't make him a talent, just an adequate depth piece at best. Furthermore, the bar I set for our receivers to be a stud is so low, any big play almost warrants a stud imo. But you are right, overall Kumerow really shouldn't deserve a stud rating, emotions are clouding my judgement ;)

I wouldn't say that Rodgers had a fine game, but definitely not a bad one. I completely agree one your take on which he can improve. Great leaders always try to keep spirits up, and lay blame with themselves before they lay it on others.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Clark
Lowry
The defense in general, despite a few lapses. Run defense, especially.
Ervin

Honorable mentions:
A. Jones
J. Williams
D. Adams
Kumerow for his dogged determination on that sideline catch and run. Wish Jimmy Graham fought that hard for YAC.

Duds:
MVS: Alligator arms doesn't do it justice. A blind Tyrannosaurus Rex could have caught that TD throw.
DBs collectively for failing to pick off Trubisky, who kept trying to throw them the ball.
Rodgers' taking a sack out of field goal range. That was nearly disastrous.

Bottom line: this was a good win. Beat the spread. Beat the Bears twice in a season. Knocked them out of contention. Record up to 11-3 which is much better than I assumed at the beginning of the season. Locked up a playoff spot after missing two years. Still in contention for a first round bye!

The last five minutes were hard to watch, but the result is sweet. This season is already a success in my book. Beat the Vikes in their place on Monday night and I'll call it a smashing success regardless of what happens in the post season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Out of the gate, no. But as the numbers pile up in the win column, those expectations rise.

Sure. But to say, "they're having a better than expected season so now the only way this can be a successful year is a Super Bowl victory"... is silly.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs: Jones (the 1st TD was an awesome run and the 2nd he ran over a safety or cb), Rodgers, Lowery (what a play!), Ervin, Bahktiari, Clark, Alexander, Sullivan and Campbell (I thought these two guys added a lot to the D), Scott kicked a lot better.

Not going to give anyone a dud but I really don't like that we pay too much attention to running out the clock ala Big Mike, and don't go for the 1st down and the win. Especially since we have to stop them anyway. Completely agree with OldSchool that we should have played for the field goal.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few notes:

An ugly win is still a win. Been saying that a lot lately.

I'm pretty happy with the new kick and punt returner.

Kenny Clark is about as good as it gets at nose tackle.

Nice game by Davante.....Remember when some on this forum wanted him gone? I do.

Dean Lowry may have better hands than MVS.

Packer offense needs to do a better job closing out games.

Green Bay is 4-0 in the division to date, and finished 7-1 at Lambeau for the regular season.

Since Khalil Mack joined the Bears, Chicago has lost 3 out of 4 to the Pack. If he was supposed to be the difference maker, it has yet to materialize.

I hate night games. I hate night games on the road even more. That said, I hope Green Bay goes into Minnesota and come away with another win, ugly or otherwise.

Go Pack Go!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our new returner is looking very nice. That first punt he set himself up and gave the gunner a "target". it was perfect, because he knew that's not where he was going to field the ball, as it came down to field it, he was running away from the gunner as he caught it.

So instead of going nowhere, getting blasted, or fair catching, he set up a pretty nice return even though there was a defender there.

not sure why Tramon went in for the next one but that was disastrous but luckily bailed out. almost as if they said, we're sorry MVS can't catch, here's a bone to chew on. your welcome. But then on his next kick return, he pressed the blockers again, and then cuts off that. he sets them up well and keeps moving forward.

Great find later in the year, and he seems very natural catching the ball on punts and kicks.

Dayooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well they made the playoffs. Gave up 450 yards though the air on defense to a sub par team. An offense hitting on 2 cylinders. Whats left to say?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A few notes:

An ugly win is still a win. Been saying that a lot lately.

I'm pretty happy with the new kick and punt returner.

Kenny Clark is about as good as it gets at nose tackle.

Nice game by Davante.....Remember when some on this forum wanted him gone? I do.

Dean Lowry may have better hands than MVS.

Packer offense needs to do a better job closing out games.

Green Bay is 4-0 in the division to date, and finished 7-1 at Lambeau for the regular season.

Since Khalil Mack joined the Bears, Chicago has lost 3 out of 4 to the Pack. If he was supposed to be the difference maker, it has yet to materialize.

I hate night games. I hate night games on the road even more. That said, I hope Green Bay goes into Minnesota and come away with another win, ugly or otherwise.

Go Pack Go!

Like two weeks ago, when he was declared to be the problem with the offense?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe indoors on the lights he'll catch it. So use it on the first play of the game in Minny.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure. But to say, "they're having a better than expected season so now the only way this can be a successful year is a Super Bowl victory"... is silly.

Yes, but there's certainly room for disappointment if their playoff results are not congruent with their regular season results. I would say if you win your division, at least one win is to be expected.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line: this was a good win. Beat the spread. Beat the Bears twice in a season. Knocked them out of contention. Record up to 11-3 which is much better than I assumed at the beginning of the season. Locked up a playoff spot after missing two years. Still in contention for a first round bye!

Correction: Still in contention for HFA.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes, but there's certainly room for disappointment if their playoff results are not congruent with their regular season results. I would say if you win your division, at least one win is to be expected.

Sure, that's fair. But the original comment was that this season was "always" Super Bowl or bust.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope, and neither do you, because no one said that.
I do. It wasn't all that long ago.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/d-droppal-paddlehands.68553/

D Droppal is up to his old tricks....at what point do you as a offensive coordinator consider cutting a player due to this? Adams while physically gifted, is becoming a liability on offense due to his lack of production.

I agree that if he is not keeping pace just let him go so he can get his bearings on another team and let someone else take his spot to shine.

This was the start of Devante's 3rd year. Just 2 people, but I only looked at the first page.

History will repeat itself. Of MVS, GMo, Lazzard, and Kumerow, 2 will emerge and be impactful leaving the posters who are complaining we have no talent at WR besides Adams, confused. Or they will forget or say they suddenly became talented.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My favorite play from yesterday....Ha Ha hasn't lost his magic!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope, and neither do you, because no one said that.

That's wrong.

There were some on this very forum who referred to him as "Paddle-hands". Someone even suggested they needed to sit him to play Janis more.

I am not making that up, no matter what you think.