Adams won't play on tag.....****...

Status
Not open for further replies.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced Rodgers will sign his new contract before the start of the new league year on Wednesday at 4pm ET.

Most likely you don't want to hear it but you will need to relax on Adams' deal for quite some time though. The sides have until July 15th to sign a long-term deal and I don't expect anything to happen until that deadline comes close.
At least we still have a chance. I can see that Adams does not want just a franchise tender. One big injury and he could be out of the money for good. He wants some security no matter how many years he has left. I was there for the Cowboy playoff game 7 years ago when he made several big plays as a rookie to help win the game. I think they can get this done. I also believe he and ARod will be having several conversations.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Organization has dug this hole and now they're going to be forced to pay Adams more than they want. Gute has left the receiver room bereft of decent receivers outside of Adams and has no fall-back option if Adams doesn't play. I'm not passing judgement on Gute's job in drafting/free agency, just stating the reality that the receiving room is barren other than Adams. Supply-and-demand is still the basic reality of economics and the Packers have no supply of good receivers outside Adams. Packers have very little leverage in trying to call any bluff from Adams.

I am vehemently opposed to trading Adams because that's basically trading away any shot at a Super Bowl this year. Some might disagree but I think it's worth paying a few million more per season to be a Super Bowl contender now rather than hoping some draft picks might help in 3-4 years when the best QB in NFL history is no longer on the team.
Do you think the Packers will be in trouble in about 3 years?

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sports...the only place you see regular folks rooting FOR the welfare billionaires. Just saw that the owner of the Bills is getting a brand-new $1.4 billion stadium that the people of Buffalo are paying 70% for...but please, tell me more about Davante Adams needs to give up $5 million while it's common practice for sports owners to get the biggest welfare checks in the country (Bills owners just got $1 billion ).

Note, I realize the Packers don't have an owner, but since they're involved in an industry in which they are the ONLY team without a billionaire owner, and the league is run by billionaire owners, I feel perfectly comfortable pointing out that it's pretty obvious to anyone that the owner's only real interest is in getting as much money as they can from tv deals and cities and ensuring as little money as possible goes to the players.
The money owners make doesn't count towards teams salary cap therefor doesn't hurt our chances of fielding a better team and in fact prabobly helps to field better a team.
Greedy self absorbed players however do.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least we still have a chance. I can see that Adams does not want just a franchise tender. One big injury and he could be out of the money for good. He wants some security no matter how many years he has left. I was there for the Cowboy playoff game 7 years ago when he made several big plays as a rookie to help win the game. I think they can get this done. I also believe he and ARod will be having several conversations.
Average worker makes less then 2 million dollars in a lifetime please don't tell me about injury and financial security.
Even a rookie on a rookie contract makes more in first 2-3 years them most people in there lifetime.

Greedy selfish players like Adams don't play for the love of the game, they don't care about the fans, they are clearly not team players but money hungry hogs nothing more.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the year they lose the best QB in the NFL will be tough.

LOL not just tough, but fiscally crazy.

Now, most likely what we will see hopefully is say he retires after just two years...there would still be $115M dead cap out there to hit...most likely they would "sign Rodgers" to another extension to a minimum base to spread that remaining hit further over 5 years or so...either way GB is going to be paying a significant amount of money to Rodgers even if he plays the real three years and retires at the end of 2024 before the "void/placeholder" years happen...which in that scenario that $115M dead is then "just" $76M. *This is IF I understand cap experts right explaining it all.

Most hits have an advertised "potential out" time when it makes fiscal sense for a team to release or cut a player....I've never seen one which isn't advertised over at Spotrac without one...Rodgers' is the first which is crazy to think.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Average worker makes less then 2 million dollars in a lifetime please don't tell me about injury and financial security.
Even a rookie on a rookie contract makes more in first 2-3 years them most people in there lifetime.

Greedy selfish players like Adams don't play for the love of the game, they don't care about the fans, they are clearly not team players but money hungry hogs nothing more.

The average worker (raises my own hand) doesn't work or help produce a product which is consumed to the point of being a MULTI-Billion dollar business model. If I was I would also desire to be paid equivalent of my respective value by direct comparison to people in my position and ability.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL not just tough, but fiscally crazy.

Now, most likely what we will see hopefully is say he retires after just two years...there would still be $115M dead cap out there to hit...most likely they would "sign Rodgers" to another extension to a minimum base to spread that remaining hit further over 5 years or so...either way GB is going to be paying a significant amount of money to Rodgers even if he plays the real three years and retires at the end of 2024 before the "void/placeholder" years happen...which in that scenario that $115M dead is then "just" $76M. *This is IF I understand cap experts right explaining it all.

Most hits have an advertised "potential out" time when it makes fiscal sense for a team to release or cut a player....I've never seen one which isn't advertised over at Spotrac without one...Rodgers' is the first which is crazy to think.

The Packers are going to be bad when Rodgers leaves, that's just going to happen. Counting on finding another all-time great QB to ease the transition from Rodgers seems unrealistic. I'm perfectly happy with the Packers having a terrible cap year the first year Rodgers is gone because they're going to need some high draft picks after he leaves to find another great QB.

QBs are what matters in the NFL. I do NOT want the Packers to turn into some middle-of-the-pack team with an average NFL QB. If that means a couple years of awfulness while they search for a QB in the draft, I'm perfectly happy with that trade-off if it means a few more year of Super Bowl contention.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are going to be bad when Rodgers leaves, that's just going to happen. Counting on finding another all-time great QB to ease the transition from Rodgers seems unrealistic. I'm perfectly happy with the Packers having a terrible cap year the first year Rodgers is gone because they're going to need some high draft picks after he leaves to find another great QB.

QBs are what matters in the NFL. I do NOT want the Packers to turn into some middle-of-the-pack team with an average NFL QB. If that means a couple years of awfulness while they search for a QB in the draft, I'm perfectly happy with that trade-off if it means a few more year of Super Bowl contention.

You also run the risk of being a place even good QBs drafted because you suck cannot succeed at given restraints of what you can build. It is a risk we're taking, which is fine. I just hope in two/three/four years everyone not acknowledge the cost this eventually might dish out keep their mouth shut when it hits. Not directed at you directly, know that, you are not whom I picturing with this.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You also run the risk of being a place even good QBs drafted because you suck cannot succeed at given restraints of what you can build. It is a risk we're taking, which is fine. I just hope in two/three/four years everyone not acknowledge the cost this eventually might dish out keep their mouth shut when it hits. Not directed at you directly, know that, you are not whom I picturing with this.
'I hear you, and I'm going to say something that I personally think should be blindingly obvious but I think many will disagree with; I don't think a QB-needy team should only draft one QB. When the Packers need to find a replacement, I would hope they draft 2-3 QBs a year until they find their guy. QB is such an important position and teams lose so much time finding a great one; having an elite QB is worth giving up on the chance of drafting an elite player at any other position because you're using those draft picks for extra QBs. Draft an elite prospect in round one and then draft a raw player or two later in the draft every season until you find your guy.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'I hear you, and I'm going to say something that I personally think should be blindingly obvious but I think many will disagree with; I don't think a QB-needy team should only draft one QB. When the Packers need to find a replacement, I would hope they draft 2-3 QBs a year until they find their guy. QB is such an important position and teams lose so much time finding a great one; having an elite QB is worth giving up on the chance of drafting an elite player at any other position because you're using those draft picks for extra QBs. Draft an elite prospect in round one and then draft a raw player or two later in the draft every season until you find your guy.

With Rodgers structure and Love all but a never happening with it, if I'm Gute about 2023 draft I'm studying Day 2 and Day 3 QBs HARD....shoot if Dustin Crum is there this year in the 7th I'm not opposed to the gamble. I love that dude.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of this cost will actually be absorbed by significant rise in salary cap year over year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of this cost will actually be absorbed by significant rise in salary cap year over year.

Lol cap at end of 2024 would need to be 300 M for his 75 dead hit sitting to be less than 25% of the whole teams salary cap for 2025

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The NFL would NOT exist without every current player (gonna be exciting to see how long the new USFL lasts). I also don't understand this weird idea that the owners of the NFL are some kind of marketing geniuses and nobody else would be able to do what they have done.
You never answered my question about whether you buy from Amazon or not, but I assume you don't, since that would be supporting a billionaire.

Your statement above which I quoted is really conflicting. You state that the NFL wouldn't exist without the players, yet you say "good luck to the USFL." Why are you saying that? The USFL has guys that play football right? Why won't that be a successful league? So basically I am asking you, what separates the USFL from the NFL? The quality of play, right? Who is responsible for the quality of play? Your gut wants to say "the players". When in reality, it is the league and the players it attracts due to pay, prestige and reputation. Now who created that situation? Aaron Rodgers didn't. None of the current players did, but a lot of the owners did. More importantly, the structure of the NFL and those running it did. The players were just workers, making the product that they were selling better.

If the USFL could promise NFL FA vets and players out of college a 40% pay raise over what they would make in the NFL, how long do you think that it would be before the USFL put the NFL out of business?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just like when people get the money they deserve; which I have to admit comes from what other billionaire owners in the league are willing to pay (except for the Jags owner...that guy is trying to give his money away).
So why aren't you screaming about how much the clock operators, ball boys/girls, field crews, etc. get paid? The money is there, why aren't they getting $5M/year?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You never answered my question about whether you buy from Amazon or not, but I assume you don't, since that would be supporting a billionaire.

Your statement above which I quoted is really conflicting. You state that the NFL wouldn't exist without the players, yet you say "good luck to the USFL." Why are you saying that? The USFL has guys that play football right? Why won't that be a successful league? So basically I am asking you, what separates the USFL from the NFL? The quality of play, right? Who is responsible for the quality of play? Your gut wants to say "the players". When in reality, it is the league and the players it attracts due to pay, prestige and reputation. Now who created that situation? Aaron Rodgers didn't. None of the current players did, but a lot of the owners did. More importantly, the structure of the NFL and those running it did. The players were just workers, making the product that they were selling better.

If the USFL could promise NFL FA vets and players out of college a 40% pay raise over what they would make in the NFL, how long do you think that it would be before the USFL put the NFL out of business?

Of course I buy from Amazon. Is Bezos asking his CFO to take a below-market deal to remain with the company? The NFL is so popular because the players are REALLY good. College football is popular because of fandom (something you don't get quite as much of with only 8 teams). There's a reason the XFL and arena league folded. The players ARE the product. People talk about player power but don't actually look at details. The average player's career in the NFL is 3 years; it's not surprising that players aren't willing to sacrifice a third of their lifetime earnings to hold out and force the owners to give them a better deal (players currently get 48% of revenue). Without the players the NFL would be NFL Europe. It's real easy to see all the pro football leagues that have folded without the players you believe are so replaceable.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Of course I buy from Amazon. Is Bezos asking his CFO to take a below-market deal to remain with the company? The NFL is so popular because the players are REALLY good. College football is popular because of fandom (something you don't get quite as much of with only 8 teams). There's a reason the XFL and arena league folded. The players ARE the product. People talk about player power but don't actually look at details. The average player's career in the NFL is 3 years; it's not surprising that players aren't willing to sacrifice a third of their lifetime earnings to hold out and force the owners to give them a better deal (players currently get 48% of revenue). Without the players the NFL would be NFL Europe. It's real easy to see all the pro football leagues that have folded without the players you believe are so replaceable.
I'll let you pick out all the inconsistencies in your post. I really don't think you realize just how many times you contradict yourself.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The people complaining about how bad the Packers will be after the 2024 season probably didn't have to stomach the endless crapshow that was the 70's and 80's being a Packer fan. I did. I will gladly roll the dice for three more seasons with AR as the QB and then hunker down for the rebuild.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The people complaining about how bad the Packers will be after the 2024 season probably didn't have to stomach the endless crapshow that was the 70's and 80's being a Packer fan. I did. I will gladly roll the dice for three more seasons with AR as the QB and then hunker down for the rebuild.

You do not have to have witnessed those to understand the risk and reward and or famine gamble this type of decisions are.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If Love becomes the equal of Jimmy Garapolo, there's no reason to believe we can't be a good team without Rodgers. I'm just becoming skeptical that we can win another super bowl with Rodgers/Adams. They're taking up too much of the cap and they can't dominate the best teams.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't cared about individual players for decades, ever since I could no longer comprehend their compensation. However, just factually, everything I've read said the Pack can't trade Adams. Can they?
If you watch the Packers on TV you can’t complain about player’s compensation, you are the reason they get paid so much.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love becomes the equal of Jimmy Garapolo, there's no reason to believe we can't be a good team without Rodgers. I'm just becoming skeptical that we can win another super bowl with Rodgers/Adams. They're taking up too much of the cap and they can't dominate the best teams.

Part of that is the packers have only one good receiver and the best teams can gameplan him out of the game. Regarding Rodgers, he absolutely dominated an elite defense in the playoffs a year ago (the Bucs) so I’m not sure i really see any evidence that Rodgers can’t dominate. If Gute provides at least one other good receiving threat then i think teams are going to have a LOT more trouble scheming Adams out of games.

Reaction score

True that. To add to that the NFL Owners take a risk with their franchise investment. They should expect to make a good profit. I don’t see why that’s such a bad thing they suffer in a down year also, yet the new thing to teach in school is that profit is a bad word.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love becomes the equal of Jimmy Garapolo, there's no reason to believe we can't be a good team without Rodgers.
Correct, even Rex Grossman made it to a Super Bowl.

Regarding Rodgers, he absolutely dominated an elite defense in the playoffs a year ago (the Bucs) so I’m not sure i really see any evidence that Rodgers can’t dominate.
If by "dominate", you mean:
* throwing an INT leading to a TD before halftime
* wasting 2 turnovers given to him in the second half
* going 3 and out inside the Bucs 10 yard line with the game on the line

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do not have to have witnessed those to understand the risk and reward and or famine gamble this type of decisions are.
perhaps not… but it certainly seems like there are quite a few that have either forgotten it or never witnessed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online