Adams won't play on tag.....****...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

I never understand this kind of comment. Yes, professional athletes make a TON of money. That's no reason to take a below-market deal from your boss. Billionaires have created a system where guys making hundreds of times less really only have one option to make their worth and when a guy uses that option it sucks for fans but I will always side for the employee over the billionaire who is trying to make a few extra million at the expense of an employee.

Pro athletes aren't paid like average people and fans shouldn't just pretend all players should be happy with their money so the billionaires can save a few million. Personally I think high character guys stand up for what's right against those in power trying to use that power to take money from those lower on the food chain.

It's not about the Packers saving a few millions but being able to field a competitive team around Adams within the constraints of the salary cap.

Rodgers structure and essentially $75M hit in 2024 no doubt has Russ Ball contorting his fiscal pen in ways he doesn't want to or has done prior when discussing with Gute futures of like Jaire, Jenkins, Gary and others....all on the horizon...

FYI, Rodgers' will count $40.7 million against the cap in 2024.

Rodgers is the only one that is truly crippling the future at the cost of the present - if anyone wants to get pissy with a specific player for their decisions and such he is the only one on our roster I feel deserves it....and even then it is limited in how much at that I admit despite my own dislike for it.

I'm aware of your dislike for Rodgers but how exactly does he cripple the future of the franchise at the cost of the present???

At least we still have a chance. I can see that Adams does not want just a franchise tender. One big injury and he could be out of the money for good. He wants some security no matter how many years he has left. I was there for the Cowboy playoff game 7 years ago when he made several big plays as a rookie to help win the game. I think they can get this done. I also believe he and ARod will be having several conversations.

Well, you might want to consider the situation the Packers are in as well. If they sign Adams to a long-term deal making him the highest-paid receiver in the league a career-ending injury would be devastating for their cap situation.

Now, most likely what we will see hopefully is say he retires after just two years...there would still be $115M dead cap out there to hit...most likely they would "sign Rodgers" to another extension to a minimum base to spread that remaining hit further over 5 years or so...either way GB is going to be paying a significant amount of money to Rodgers even if he plays the real three years and retires at the end of 2024 before the "void/placeholder" years happen...which in that scenario that $115M dead is then "just" $76M. *This is IF I understand cap experts right explaining it all.

Lol cap at end of 2024 would need to be 300 M for his 75 dead hit sitting to be less than 25% of the whole teams salary cap for 2025

The way I understand Rodgers' deal the dead money counting against the cap would be $68.2 million in 2024 if Rodgers only plays another two years as well as $45.5 million in
'25 with him staying for another three years.

If Love becomes the equal of Jimmy Garapolo, there's no reason to believe we can't be a good team without Rodgers. I'm just becoming skeptical that we can win another super bowl with Rodgers/Adams. They're taking up too much of the cap and they can't dominate the best teams.

If the Packers sign Adams to a five-year extension before the start of the season both him and Rodgers could only take up 16% of the cap in 2022.

If by "dominate", you mean:
* throwing an INT leading to a TD before halftime
* wasting 2 turnovers given to him in the second half
* going 3 and out inside the Bucs 10 yard line with the game on the line

Rodgers outperformed Brady in the 2020 NFCCG yet the Packers ended up losing the game. It wasn't his fault though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm aware of your dislike for Rodgers but how exactly does he cripple the future of the franchise at the cost of the present???

Meant the cost hits now at the risk of crippling future is all. Its a gamble, could pay off big time and may not - I'm hoping it does!
The way I understand Rodgers' deal the dead money counting against the cap would be $68.2 million in 2024 if Rodgers only plays another two years as well as $45.5 million in
'25 with him staying for another three years.

Correct, the difference as I saw it explained yesterday between the $75M figure being said and the $68.2 is the structure of 7.5M in roster bonuses - which of course he won't meet being gone. Interesting way of pushing money forward...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
At the expense of what other position/s? Imo, it's better to use the running game more and use the money on continuing to build a great defense. In crunch time, everyone knows Rodgers will only look to Adams, not the so-called #2 receiver no matter who he is.

JDPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the expense of what other position/s? Imo, it's better to use the running game more and use the money on continuing to build a great defense. In crunch time, everyone knows Rodgers will only look to Adams, not the so-called #2 receiver no matter who he is.
Yeah, I kind of wish they would have traded them both and had the picks to work with. Tired of the drama and the focus on only one receiver by the qb.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers outperformed Brady in the 2020 NFCCG yet the Packers ended up losing the game. It wasn't his fault though.
Rodgers did not "dominate the Bucs defense" as that poster ridiculously claimed.

And in your opinion it wasn't Rodgers' fault for the loss. Some people would disagree with you there. Personally I put equal blame on Rodgers and the defense for that loss.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers did not "dominate the Bucs defense" as that poster ridiculously claimed.

And in your opinion it wasn't Rodgers' fault for the loss. Some people would disagree with you there. Personally I put equal blame on Rodgers and the defense for that loss.

To your points:
#1 - NextGenStats says he was under pressure 11 times for a pressure rate of 32.4% (highest Rodgers faced all year) NextGenStats
Not sure what you think a high pressure rate should be but even the numbers you cited would be a really high pressure rate
#2 - Rodgers has admitted he missed some guys; screencaps are swell when you can sit at a computer and look at all the options without having to account for passing angles and angry men the size of refrigerators trying to hurt you.

I think the primary problem the Packers have with the 49ers (at least recently) is that, if you have a very good defense, the Packers passing game is somewhat limited since they have only one good receiver and when a the defense can shut down the run, Rodgers is forced to carry the entire offense against an elite defense. He's done it in the past but expecting 100% hit rate on that is unrealistic.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The fact that the so-called #2 receiver should really be a 3rd string receiver (at best) sort of tells you WHY Rodgers looks to Adams so much. However, I'm sure an offense that only threw 5 passes to Adams and 12 to Lazard would scare the mess out of defenses everywhere *he says sarcastically*.

Focusing on the run and a great defense is sort of ignoring the history of Super Bowl winning teams in recent memory. Have you not seen what happened to the Titans in the playoffs the past few years?

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score

Let's add Gutekunst as a contributing factor for the loss. In fairness, only Wirfs and Dillon played in the NFCC but Wirfs was part of an o-line that only gave up 1 sack in the game (Kenny Clark). Games can pivot on 2 or 3 plays and maybe with a 1st round pick that actually contributes the packers could have won the game. Just another example of the *SWC years for the Packers.

*Shoulda Woulda Coulda

Packers 2020 first 3 draft picks:
Jordan Love - 0 snaps (NFCC - 0 snaps)
AJ Dillon - 11 games, 97 snaps, 46 rush for 242 yards ( NFCC: Rushing: 3 for 17, Rec 1 for 13)
Josiah Deguara - 2 games, 32 snaps, 1 Rec for 12 yards (NFCC - 0 snaps)

Bucs first 3 draft picks:
Tristan Wirfs (RT) - 16 games, 1073 snaps (NFCC: Starting RT)
Antoine Winfield Jr (S) -16 games, 1043 def snaps, 84 ST snaps (NFCC: 0 snaps /injury)
Ke'Shawn Vaughn - 10 games, 97 Off snaps, 37 ST snaps, 26 rush for 109 yards (NFCC: 0 snaps)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that the so-called #2 receiver should really be a 3rd string receiver (at best) sort of tells you WHY Rodgers looks to Adams so much. However, I'm sure an offense that only threw 5 passes to Adams and 12 to Lazard would scare the mess out of defenses everywhere *he says sarcastically*.

Focusing on the run and a great defense is sort of ignoring the history of Super Bowl winning teams in recent memory. Have you not seen what happened to the Titans in the playoffs the past few years?

Yet every time Adams has been gone from games of late, Rodgers excels....why because he is that FREAKING good and those games showcase it to me the most. Lazard has a high catch percentage when targeted, gets excellent yards per catch, just isn't asked a ton. Honestly, this offense can and is deadly purely by having Rodgers there...Lazard continues to grow and I expect part of this whole Rodgers saga has somekind of get another WR part to it (Cobb is clearly not going anywhere because of him as well).

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To your points:
#1 - NextGenStats says he was under pressure 11 times for a pressure rate of 32.4% (highest Rodgers faced all year) NextGenStats
Not sure what you think a high pressure rate should be but even the numbers you cited would be a really high pressure rate
#2 - Rodgers has admitted he missed some guys; screencaps are swell when you can sit at a computer and look at all the options without having to account for passing angles and angry men the size of refrigerators trying to hurt you.

I think the primary problem the Packers have with the 49ers (at least recently) is that, if you have a very good defense, the Packers passing game is somewhat limited since they have only one good receiver and when a the defense can shut down the run, Rodgers is forced to carry the entire offense against an elite defense. He's done it in the past but expecting 100% hit rate on that is unrealistic.
I would not put all of that TB loss on Rodgers alone either. I would say the OL did not come through. No Bahktiari hurt just like it did this playoff. And I would not say we have only one good receiver. We had one ELITE receiver but others that are good and very adequate who would be signed by other teams. Scantling, Lazard, and Cobb are not sub par receivers. And when we put up 30 points on the 9ers in WK 3 in SF it was no accident and it was not Adams alone. And someone had to handle Bosa that night. The one difference was that Robert Tonyan played in that game. Kittle is better than any TE we have but without Tonyan we did not have anyone who could push the seam. What I did see this playoff was a change after our second drive which resulted in Big Dog fumbling. We suddenly turned off the tap. Rodgers started forcing it. He was taking long shots instead of just trying to move the chains. We failed to spread the field and the 9ers began to key on the run even Dillon was still in the game. How did we give up 5 sacks? Our offense played much better in SF while our defense was average. Complete reversal in Lambeau. Recall we went into Arizona against a defense with tremendous speed. We had both Lazard and Adams out but we still moved the football. Rodgers and La Fleur had a game plan for that and executed it pretty well. And despite our offense going to sleep against SF the game was lost first and foremost because of ST. We could have still won this game 13-9 or 16-10.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only those choosing ignorance ever point to one sole factor for 100% of a loss. I've never seen a game yet in my life, in any sport, where only one mistake or one player was the issue the entire game or match.

D

Deleted member 6794

Correct, the difference as I saw it explained yesterday between the $75M figure being said and the $68.2 is the structure of 7.5M in roster bonuses - which of course he won't meet being gone. Interesting way of pushing money forward...

It seems like the option bonus in 2023 and '24 will be treated as a signing bonus spread out over the entire length of the contract, resulting in the strange situation that moving on from Rodgers after the 2024 season would result in a larger amount of dead money counting against the cap than if they would move on from him after only two seasons.

Rodgers would definitely look to another receiver worthy of being considered a true #2 receiver. Unfortunately the Packers haven't had one over the past few years.

Rodgers deserves part of the blame for the losses against the Bucs and Niners in the playoffs over the past two years. But he's hardly the main reason the Packers lost either of them.

So Rodgers choking in the 4th quarter wasn't his fault? Is anything EVER his fault?

Rodgers didn't perform up to potential in the fourth quarter against the Bucs but as mentioned above that wasn't the main reason the Packers lost.

Yet every time Adams has been gone from games of late, Rodgers excels....why because he is that FREAKING good and those games showcase it to me the most. Lazard has a high catch percentage when targeted, gets excellent yards per catch, just isn't asked a ton. Honestly, this offense can and is deadly purely by having Rodgers there...Lazard continues to grow and I expect part of this whole Rodgers saga has somekind of get another WR part to it (Cobb is clearly not going anywhere because of him as well).

As I've mentioned before I don't have any explanation for the Packers offense excelling without Adams but to me it's surprising that there are several fans actually believing the unit is truly better without him.

And I would not say we have only one good receiver. We had one ELITE receiver but others that are good and very adequate who would be signed by other teams. Scantling, Lazard, and Cobb are not sub par receivers.

The Packers haven't had a true #2 receiver on the roster for quite some time. While all of the ones you mentioned have had some good games none of them has been able to consistently perform at that level.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned before I don't have any explanation for the Packers offense excelling without Adams but to me it's surprising that there are several fans actually believing the unit is truly better without him.

Right!? Rodgers and the team could easily go undefeated without Adams and I would still never say the offense is more lethal without Adams than with him - he is the best damn WR in the game IMO. Does it mean I want to pay him what it is probably going to cost us, no...but he is a freaking stud.

ARPackFan

Reaction score
I'd rather have two really good WRs than 1 great WR. I'd rather trade Adams, get some picks, sign both Allen Robinson and Will Fuller for less than what Davante will cost.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have two really good WRs than 1 great WR. I'd rather trade Adams, get some picks, sign both Allen Robinson and Will Fuller for less than what Davante will cost.

In what world will you be able to sign Will Fuller and Allen Robinson to contracts less than Adams single contract??

Christian freaking Kirk just got dang near $20M a year....Allen and Fuller both will get similar or close or more....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well, you might want to consider the situation the Packers are in as well. If they sign Adams to a long-term deal making him the highest-paid receiver in the league a career-ending injury would be devastating for their cap situation.
Fortunately, there are not a lot of those happening. However, I agree that if and when they do or a high paid player is lost for a substantial amount of games, their team takes a big hit. I really wish the players union and the NFL could figure out a compromise on all this guaranteed crap, as well as the impact it has on the cap. I know, Sunshine will be raining down on me, to suggest that an injured player, that doesn't play a substantial amount of games on his contract, shouldn't get all of his $1 M - $50M, nor should the team suffer the full cap hit.

ARPackFan

Reaction score
In what world will you be able to sign Will Fuller and Allen Robinson to contracts less than Adams single contract??

Christian freaking Kirk just got dang near $20M a year....Allen and Fuller both will get similar or close or more....

Look at the contract for Kirk. Right now Adams cap number is $20M and some change. Even adding 25% to Kirks number for Robinson still makes it doable and Fuller will be closer to Kirks or maybe less. Years 2 & 3 may need some tweaking and a possible 5th void year for Robinson.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the contract for Kirk. Right now Adams cap number is $20M and some change. Even adding 25% to Kirks number for Robinson still makes it doable and Fuller will be closer to Kirks or maybe less. Years 2 & 3 may need some tweaking and a possible 5th void year for Robinson.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Well sure you can structure a contract however you want, doesn't mean the team will do or the player's agent. I don't see it personally.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like the option bonus in 2023 and '24 will be treated as a signing bonus spread out over the entire length of the contract, resulting in the strange situation that moving on from Rodgers after the 2024 season would result in a larger amount of dead money counting against the cap than if they would move on from him after only two seasons.

Rodgers would definitely look to another receiver worthy of being considered a true #2 receiver. Unfortunately the Packers haven't had one over the past few years.

Rodgers deserves part of the blame for the losses against the Bucs and Niners in the playoffs over the past two years. But he's hardly the main reason the Packers lost either of them.

Rodgers didn't perform up to potential in the fourth quarter against the Bucs but as mentioned above that wasn't the main reason the Packers lost.

The Packers haven't had a true #2 receiver on the roster for quite some time. While all of the ones you mentioned have had some good games none of them has been able to consistently perform at that level.
I would still push back on our other receivers. Rodgers may suddenly appear to have this HOF receiver in Adams but for most of his career he spread the ball especially when he had The Big 5 back in 2011 and 2012. Even now his running backs are a strong part of the passing game. And do not forget that in the last 3 seasons the Packers have used the running game more effectively than in much of the MM era despite issues with OL line injuries. You can have Receiver by committee. But more than having a solid #2 the TE position in the passing game is more critical. That is a place where Rodgers has not had a lot of successful targets. And when you look at teams like SF, KC, TB, and Baltimore the TE position wins games. We thought Jimmy G would be able to fill that role but he was well past his glory days. Now I would say that back in our Sterling Sharpe years we WERE void of a #2, #3, etc. He was just about all Favre really had and even all Majkowski had.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want that looming, not for a second. I do expect Rodgers to sign, we agree 100% there. As for Adams if camps are truly too far apart I will not let it get ugly if I'm Gute, the second it appears zero reasonable resolution can be had - I'm doing Adams and the organization right and trading. Call the Raiders and ask for a Day 2 + Bryan Edwards and call it a day.

Youd take a 2nd or 3rd round pick and Bryan Edwards for a fhof wr whos in his prime as unquestionably a top 3 wr in the nfl...

Obviously thats never going to happen a condition of Rodgers "returning" haha smh...was certainly that the Packers retain Adams. Theres no way Rodgers would stay in GB without Adams

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Youd take a 2nd or 3rd round pick and Bryan Edwards for a fhof wr whos in his prime as unquestionably a top 3 wr in the nfl...

Obviously thats never going to happen a condition of Rodgers "returning" haha smh...was certainly that the Packers retain Adams. Theres no way Rodgers would stay in GB without Adams

What I proposed is in the "catastrophy" category of discussions imploding with Adams.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A lot of truth to that about Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Which Davante and his agent are fully aware of and no doubt are using to their advantage. IF that is a Rodgers demand, it is one that puts the Packers in quite the predicament. Here you have a QB you just made the highest paid player in the NFL and to keep him happy, you might have to overpay for the perceived best WR in the NFL. Great way to build a long term championship team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts